Movers on Demand

Reviews for Movers on Demand

Capote in Toronto
Capote in Toronto

A Smooth Move

Movers on Demand moved the contents of my apartment (2 bedrooms, 50-60 boxes and 5 wardrobe boxes) on February 29th. Mike and Tiko arrived on time (to the minute) and even texted me to let me know when they were on their way. They were pleasant, respectful and worked hard consistently. I was delighted, after having unpacked, to realize that NOTHING was scratched or damaged. Mike took the time to come and see the contents of the space before the move and we looked at the contract together. There was a professional dialogue of the company's Terms and Conditions. Having seen the contract, there were no surprises whatsoever. I did have one question which was addressed and I was satisfied with the outcome. Overall, my moving experience with Movers on Demand Inc was very positive.

Chris Smith in Etobicoke
Chris Smith in Etobicoke
5 reviews Etobicoke, ON

not legitimate

This company is not legitimate. They will quote you something and then charge you a completely different price when you get to the offloading destination. I should have called the police on the spot instead of paying their demanded fee to get my stuff back. Be warned. They also have bad reviews on BBB.

Rob in Thornhill
Rob in Thornhill
2 reviews NORTH YORK, ON

BEWARE - Don't trust these guys or their Godfather on the phone

Thugs, Scoundrels,... there aren't enough words to describe how bad this company is. NEVER use them or they'll ABUSE you financially.

I used their services after seeing a pretty convincing ad. in Kijiji. What I got was two guys who took their own sweet time to move my items and then after the 5 hour move from my small condo to my new place a few mins. drive away, I get dinged with a hefty bill of nearly a grand + $25 to pay by credit card because I didn't have enough cash.

They charge you extra for each flight of stairs going up and down. I got billed for five flight of stairs.
They charge you extra for each bulky item. They define what is bulky and what isn't.
They charge you extra for a sofabed.
They charge you extra for each heavy item. They again define what is heavy and what isn't. So for example with a sofabed, you get charged for a bulky item + sofabed + heavy item.
They charge you extra for service charge. What the #(@&???
Plus all applicable taxes

They ripped my leather sofabed.
They broke my ikea closet.
They dumped practically everything in my ground-level basement room.

Never will I ever use their service again. I must have done something bad in my life to have been punished by these guys.

BEWARE -- save yourself the trouble of looking for something cheap (as I thought I did) and go with a reliable moving company.

B Ans in North york
B Ans in North york
1 review North York, ON

Moving company, Movers

I moved within the same apartment building. You'd think it wouldn't be a big deal.....WRONG!!!! They showed up late, and they broke my large screen tv, and refused to replace it, after talking about having the proper insurance, they offered me 200.00 on a 2800.00 tv. They broke numerous other small objects. You would think it was almost deliberate. DON'T HIRE THESE MOVERS!!!

Pedro in Whitby
Pedro in Whitby
1 review ,

Total rip off - SCAM

I wish I had read these reviews prior to booking moving services with this company. Actually I booked it with Metropolitan Movers but I guess they subcontracted this Movers on Demand company.

When I made my reservation for the services I requested for the truck not to be late since I had the elevator reserved for 10a.m. The moving crew arrived only at 10:45a.m. and by that time I had already taken downstairs all the boxes - only the sofa, the mattress and two drawers were left.

The truck left to my new address and around 12:45 everything was done. My surprise came when one of the movers presented me with an invoice that had prices way more expensive than the estimate I had:

To start they were charging me for 4 HOURS - even though the moving took only 2 hours all together - of course I made the first leg pretty much by myself since they were late. They said they had a minimu 4 hours services fee, something that was never told to me when I did the booking.

They also charged me 80 dollars for STAIRS fee: 20 for each mover (2) for both homes. Detail: there were no stairs on my apartment and besides this cost was never quoted.

Additionally, they came up with a 10% insurance fee on top of the HST, something that had not been quoted.

After reading the reviews on the website I was really expecting great service or at least something fair but all I got was a complete scam. I am sure those testimonials are all fake.

I did write to Metropolitan Movers afterwards to complain but they never responded, something that did not surprise me at all.

Karen in Aurora
Karen in Aurora
1 review Aurora, ON

Moving

What a disaster this move became - I would never recommend this company. The truck was 4 hours late, and the wrong size with the slowest moving people I have ever seen. They couldn't fit everything in, they damaged every single piece with scratches and dents and gouges and I have been waiting three months to get repairs/replacements. There are several hidden charges so be sure to read their website before you book - everything heavy or every stair is an extra charge.

Downtown condo owner
Downtown condo owner

moving 2 blocks

I contacted the company via a Craigslist ad which noted they offered flat rates advising that we needed 2 desks and a desk hutch moved from Bay/Dundas to Bay/Adelaide on April 3rd. I specified we required two lifters with truck and asked for pricing. The response I received was that it will cost $180 for 3 hours. With GST, I expected a total cost of $189. I agreed to this price and reconfirmed the details on the phone and setup a time of 1:30pm.

The movers called to ask if the move could be rescheduled to 12pm. We accommodated and then they showed up over 45 minuets late, at approximately 12:45pm.

They loaded the truck with the 2 desks, desk hutch, and approximately 5 small bankers boxes. When they arrived at the destination, they presented us with a bill for $299. $180 flat rate, 2 x $40 = $80 for 2 extra heavy items (desks), subtotal $260 and GST for $39 (which is more than 5%). They held the items hostage for payment, leaving no choice but to produce the funds of $300, despite that we had agreed, in writing by email for flat rate of $180 based on the listed items. We went to the upper level to get a copy of the paperwork, and the drivers drove off without notice that they were leaving.

We phoned the office and received a call back. We advised of the issues regarding the overall overcharge and the overcharge of GST and was told that someone would call us immediately back after talking to the drivers. This did not occur. We contacted the Better Business Bureau on the matter and they did not respond to them either.

WE INDEED GAVE THE CLIENT A RATE OF 180 FOR THREE HOURS BUT THEY FAILED TO MENTION THAT THESE WERE TWO HEAVY DESKS WEIGHING ABOUT 300 POUNDS EACH. OUR CONTRACT STATES THAT WE CHARGE EXTRA FOR ANY HEAVY ITEMS.
THE CONTRACT WAS PRESENTED TO THE CLIENT BEFORE WE EVEN DID THE JOB.
BY SIGNING THE CONTRACT THE CLIENT AGREED TO OUT TERMS AND CONDITIONS. ONE OF THE OTHER TERMS WAS THAT WE WOULD CHARGE GST PLUS A 10% SERVICE FEE.
WE NEVER HOLD ANYONES PROPERTY AS HOSTAGE THAT IS INCORRECT.WE TAKE FULL PAYMENT ONCE WE HAVE COMPLETED THE WORK.
WE HAVE THE CONTRACT DETAILS POSTED ON OUR WEBSITE FOR ALL TO SEE.
WE ARE PROFESSIONAL IN OUR APPROACH AND OTHER CLIENTS CAN TESTIFY TO THAT.MOVERS ON DEMAND HAS BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR MORE THAN 6 YEARS AND WE CONTINUE TO GROW DESPITE SUCH CLIENTS WHO WANT TO POST MISLEADING INFORMATION.

PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE WWW.MOVERS-ON-DEMAND.COM FOR MORE INFORMATION.

JT in Scarborough
JT in Scarborough
1 review Scarborough, ON

Moving 4 bdrm house

We had originally scheduled the move for Sat. Aug. 21, but cancelled it due to the rain, and wanted to move on Sun. Aug. 22, but cancelled again due to the rain. We then asked them to come at 1pm on Tues. Aug. 24 and the movers showed up at 1:20pm. When they brought out the contract I noticed some discrepancies between what we had previously agreed upon when I spoke to their boss through the phone. When I called their boss, he said those were standard conditions that were not negotiable. Once I realized he was trying to change our conditions, I told him that I would cancel the move and find someone else. After another 20 min. of wrangling, we agreed upon the original terms and I had his movers correct the contract and sign it with me. After that it was very smooth sailing. The movers were very cheerful and pleasant and worked efficiently. They set up everything the way I asked them too, and didn't waste any time. Many thanks to the other reviewers who used this company and noted that the contract was dodgy and one should read it before signing (I probably would have signed it without questioning anything if I hadn't read the reviews beforehand).

Lauren in yonge and davisville
Lauren in yonge and davisville

moving

Movers on Demand, or Mo Movers or whatever other alias they use are a complete rip off. I waited 2 and a half hours for them to show up, with NO apology. then they pulled out the four hour minimum. then they pulled the 'stair charge'. i had no choice but to pay most of it (they cut the stair charge in half). because i had to leave to pick up the key at the new place. they had A LOT of attitude the entire time i was dealing with them. then they charged me two extra hours of labour before they unloaded my stuff. and $40 for a recliner that was no heavier than my dresser or anything. THESE PEOPLE ARE SCAM ARTISTS. DO NOT USE.