Movers On Demand

Reviews for Movers On Demand

annex bob
annex bob

moving

As other reviewers have noted, there are serious discrepancies between what this company tells you on the phone and what they try to charge you for. When I talked to the manager about my move, he told me three-hour minimum plus one-hour travel. When the movers showed up they handed me a contract that called for a $700 deposit (no deposit was mentioned on the phone), four-hour minimum charge plus travel, along with a bunch of additional costs ($40 per Èheavy itemÈ, $30 for stairs, etc). I called the manager to ask what was going on and after some haggling he came down to a $200 deposit. Then he proceeds to call his men and tell them $400. Clearly he is a rip-off artist (though not a particularly bright one) so I cancelled the job.

Sharon in T.O.
Sharon in T.O.

Moving Company

Although Movers on Demand (416-919-MOVE) claim their rate is $40/hour, this company is a ripoff!!! The sales associate quoted me a fee of $40/hour with a 3 hour minimum plus 1 hour transportation cost and GST for a total of $168.00. The final cost was over $400 for a one hour move - labour, transportation, stairs, GST and 10% service charge.

I hired Movers on Demand to move some office furniture from one location to another starting at 10:00 a.m. I received a call at 9:30 a.m., the day of the move, stating the truck is having technical problems so they won't be able to make it until 2:00 p.m. They claimed that's the time the technician estimates that it will take to fix the truck. I inquired about other trucks and was informed they were already on the road. I insisted on the movers trying to make it for 12:00 noon as 2:00 p.m. was too late. I received a call at 11:30 a.m. stating they would be at the location at 12:30 p.m. I asked them to call me back at noon to confirm the time. At 11:55 a.m. I received a call confirming the movers would be at the location at 12:30 p.m. Our receptionist went to the location to give them entry but the movers didn't arrive until 12:50 p.m. At 1:49 p.m. I received a call from the receptionist stating they loaded the stuff and was on their way to drop it off. When the movers arrived, I was told the bill had to be settled before they unloaded the stuff. I disputed the bill because the labour charge was $200 and I was told to speak with their boss. I called the boss but he didn't return my call and instead called his employee to find out what was wrong. I was told that the $200 fee was for 2 1/2 hours X 2 of moving time. I questioned as to how it can be billed for 2 1/2 hours when they haven't unloaded the stuff and it only took them an hour to load the stuff. I was told they estimate that if it took 2 1/2 hours to load, it will take 2 1/2 hours to unload - even if it takes them only 1/2 hour to unload. I told them they loaded for less than an hour so why did they state they loaded for 2 /12 hours. (They had to wait approximately 1/2 hour when they got to our building due to the fact that the gate was locked and there was some issues with unlocking the gate.) However, it still did not add up to 2 1/2 hours. When I disputed the fact that I was being charged for 4 hours plus transportation, I was told by the movers to read the contract and speak with the boss. Apparently, the movers had the receptionist sign the contract before they loaded the truck and she was unaware I was quoted 3 hour minimum charge, instead of the 4 hours written on the contract. The movers' boss (David) finally called me and I advised that his employees loaded for approximately 1 hour. I also mentioned the discrepancy of the minimum charge and was told it has always been 4 hour minimum charge plus transportation. There was also a quote of $80 for stairs which I disputed because there was no mention of a charge for stairs. The bill was reduced a bit but there was still the issue of the stairs, which was resolved when the movers saw we had a freight elevator. There was stairs at the pickup location but there is a freight elevator at the drop-off location but, without even asking, we were being billed for stairs at the drop-off location. When adding up the amount - labour, transportation, stairs, GST - didn't add up to the figure on the bill. I was then told there is also a 10% service charge, which was never mentioned to me when I asked for a quote, but is included in the contract.

There were a couple of errors on our part - not getting a contract in writing beforehand and the receptionist signing the contract the day of moving. However, this moving company was trying to rip us off by trying to fudge the amount of time spent loading and unloading and billing us for stairs where a freight elevator is located. Also, it was never mentioned there would be a 10% service charge. Therefore, I wouldn't suggest anyone use this company for moving purposes, based on a verbal quote, unless they had seen the written contract. Although their ad states they are professional and friendly, based on my experience, they are far from it.

Ray In T.O.
Ray In T.O.

moving

Started out with a low hourly rate $45. made a mistake of not reading contract. No mention of added charges during booking.
after all extra charges min 5 hrs, 10%service fee, 45 travel time, plus extra ins. The actual movers were fine but company not so upfront. so after cost ended up over $100/hour. will never use them or recommend them.

Looking for Moving & Storage pros in Toronto?