During one of their yearly cleanings, the Cidco serviceperson informed my 95 year old Grandmother that her furnace was leaking carbon monoxide from a probable crack in its base, and that she should replace the entire furnace quickly. Approx $4000,00 etc..
Being in a large Peterborough family with many connections in many areas of trade, an independent company was contacted to test the furnace for this "leak". This contractor also explained that if there was such a leak detected, the unit would be immediately tagged and shut down until a replacement could be installed, by law.
Not surprisingly, no leak or crack was found in the unit.
The services of Cidco are no longer wanted or needed for this unit, and although the actions of this one serviceperson may not reflect the company as a whole, I wonder how many other "leaks" have been found, and how many of those clients were over 70 years of age.
Let this be a warning to all of our residents that the practices of taking advantage of the elderly is still alive and well at Cidco, and that in this case, they are lucky that a lawsuit did not follow this review.
- Company Response
Cidco Heating prides itself in providing all of our customers with safe, professional and reliable service for over 40 years. The exhaust analyzer tests conducted on the 33 year old furnace indicated that the CO levels were borderline. In our opinion, the safest option was to replace the furnace and we believe we gave the customer appropriate advice. The quote for a new furnace was $3000, not $4000, and in the end we did not charge the customer for our service call. We are not out to take advantage of any customer and only have their safety in mind. We respect your need for a second opinion and wish you the best.