Strokes of Genius Painting and Genius GC

Reviews for Strokes of Genius Painting and Genius GC

Diane & Rene in Kanata
Diane & Rene in Kanata

Interior House Painting

I hired Strokes of Genius Painting to paint the living/dining rooms, loft, foyer and hallways including all doors and trim of our new home. The ceilings in the foyer and living room area are 18 feet high and needed 2 coats of paint. The trim was a darkish grey colour and needed 4 coats (more about that later). I chose this company after obtaining three quotes. The reviews on this site led me to contact this company in the first place. Their price was the lowest of the three quotes and the paint they quoted to do the job with was Benjamin Moore Aura. A high quality paint. This was important to us. David, Rob and the others did a good job, were friendly and professional. There was a massive snow storm day one which understandably delayed the work a little so they put more painters on site day 3 and had up to 6 people on the job at one time. Day 4 had 5 people painting. It was realized on Day 4 that more than the quoted 3 coats would be needed to cover the dark trim. Daniel, the owner of Strokes of Genius, offered to have the 4th coat completed at his cost. He wanted the resulting paint job to look good. We quickly agreed to this. The walls, ceiling and trim all look fantastic. The floors were vacuumed and all paint drips were cleaned up. If we get the rest of our house painted we will definitely hire Strokes of Genius Panting to do the job.

Thank you Diane & Rene.

Alex in Ottawa
Alex in Ottawa
1 review Ottawa, ON

Lived up to high expectations

We picked Strokes of Genius on the strength of their top rating on HomeStars, and they delivered! The painters were friendly, accommodating, and did a fantastic job! The price was in line with what we expected and the service and quality were top notch. We've since recommended Strokes of Genius to a few friends and would not hesitate to do so again.

Blair in Ottawa
Blair in Ottawa

While house paintes

We just moved to Ottawa and the house we bought needed the whole main floor and upstairs including ceilings to be done. We hired Daniel and his team and they did an exceptional job, super professional the workers were all very personable and thoughtful :) and not to mention they did a great job and quickly too. I would hire them again and again and I would definately recommend to all that I know. Thanks Daniel and your team for making my house a home with beautiful paint!

Allan Prochazka from Ottawa
Allan Prochazka from Ottawa
2 reviews Ottawa, ON

Exterior Painting

We have hired SOG on two occasions now. First, in 2012, we hired SOG to paint the entire interior of our home. We were very pleased with the timeliness and quality of the work done, so when we decided to have the exterior painted this summer we did not hesitate to hire SOG again.

While we had a couple of issues this time around, Daniel was diligent in resolving everything to our satisfaction. SOG stands behind its work and we won't hesitate to use them for future jobs.

Review has 1 previous version

Mark lyons in Ottawa
Mark lyons in Ottawa
1 review Carp, ON

Whole exterior and partial Interior

Dan is very reliable! I found Dan off the Internet and we are very pleased with the results.
His crew are professional and very tidy. Dan quoted my exterior home (aluminum siding) and the garage and both turned out exceptionally well. The garage was a little more difficult than expected and he sent 4 men to complete the job at his cost.
We were so impressed that we have him do several rooms in our home and they too turned out amazing.
We have owned several homes and have used many different painters. We will never use anyone, but Strokes of Genius going forward.

steph9999 in Stittsville
steph9999 in Stittsville

Interior painting

We engaged Strokes of Genius Painting to paint the interior of most of our two story, four bedroom home (including a family room with 18 foot ceilings). Previous owners had a less than professional painting done in the past. The job included walls, trim and some ceilings. The painters did a fantastic job. Daniel provided a fair, competitive quote and was responsive to questions and concerns. Most importantly, it is the professionalism of the actual painters Corey and Kevin that stands out and the quality of their work. They are extremely skilled, courteous and very hard working. They too were responsive to any concern or question that arose. We are extremely happy with the work.

Jeta in Ottawa
Jeta in Ottawa

Drywall Repair

I hired Strokes of Genius Painting to fix a hole in my ceiling due to a plumbing issue. Daniel was quick at giving me an estimate and send a contractor in that weekend. I have had baid experiences with contractors being late, unreliable and just generally not knowing what they are doing. This contractor was great; he came right on time, explained everything he will be doing and was super friendly. He finished the work early and again explained what he had done and even gave me suggestions for painting (as I was doing it myself). Daniel was kind enough to provide primer as I only had paint. I received the bill soon after and there was no surprised. I will definitively hire this company again for future work.

cje from Ottawa
cje from Ottawa

House painting

Daniel took my deposit of $1100.00 and proceeded to never return one e-mail after that related to the work I needed done. Yes, I had to revise my schedule based on other work being done in my house, and informed him of that fact 6 weeks before his work was planned. But he NEVER responded to me. Not to tell me that the new schedule was impossible for him to meet, nor to tell me that the deposit was non-refundable. No contact AT ALL, ever. I never threatened to post bad reviews - I just asked for my deposit back via e-mail. And was not even given the courtesy of a response. What avenue do I have other than an action in small claims court, when I can't even get a response from a company? While he can make up facts related to responses and threats as he pleases on this forum, I hope people will at least be wary.

Thank you for taking to this forum to give your perspective on events. Sometimes, people wonder if Homestars actually allows negative feedback, owing to the fact that our reputation here is so pristine going back several years, so it is actually nice to see a post like this from time to time to show those browsing here that this is indeed an open, transparent and uncensored forum. I would, however, like to give my perspective on things:

In early May of this year, I met with this individual at a home they planned to purchase. A week later, I met back at their current residence to quote some additional painting to be done there before move-out.

On May 10, we signed a contract for both projects, to be completed on concurrent weeks in June. She gave us an industry standard non-refundable booking deposit of $1100, as mentioned in her review, which, as I explained, would hold her place in our busy summer schedule.

A few weeks later, I received an email saying that because they had elected to do a kitchen renovation before painting, they would not be able to proceed with painting on the dates we had set and would confirm in June when they would be ready. I agreed and put the projects into our "Limbo" schedule, as asked for as much notice as possible to make sure we could accommodate her new dates.

Instead of giving us this courtesy notice, she instead called us in late June asking us to come in the very next week to complete the work. We could not accommodate these dates, so she decided to hire her renovation contractor to do the work instead.

When I spoke with her next, she informed me that she had now hired someone else to complete our contract for the new house, and additionally, that they had decided to do the painting on their old place themselves, so that essentially the entire contract we had agreed to and signed in May had now been completed. I was understandably surprised, because generally people do not sign contracts and then disregard them completely.

I told her then that our booking deposits are non-refundable for exactly this reason, but when she asked if I would look at some other painting work to be done at the new house, I agreed to take a look and quote it, and then apply the existing deposit to the new project.

In early July, I did just that, went back to the home on a Wednesday and spent still more of my time taking new measurements for additional painting to be done. I told her it was extremely busy for us and that I would try to get back with pricing as soon as possible.

When I had not yet had the chance to prepare that quote by Monday of the following week, she sent me an email to say that she had decided to have the renovators complete this new work also, and that if I did not refund her deposit post haste, she would post negative feedback on our Facebook page (which she has done), here on Homestars (which she has now done) and file a claim in Small Claims Court (which I understand she intends to do.)

As much as I prefer not to have negative feedback floating around online about us, because our reputation is extremely good and very hard-earned, I did not feel that it would be right to concede to these bullying threats when we were not the party who did not respect the contract agreement that was signed.

I should point out that we have refunded our 'non-refundable' booking deposits from time to time in the past, when clients have had true changes of circumstances, or legitimate reasons why they needed to cancel a contract. In this particular case, however, I believe that this individual simply decided they did not wish to honour their contract, and could apply maximum pressure to get what they wanted. So I have decided to stand by our policy, and will gladly defend myself in Small Claims court to that end if need be.

NB: We have operated under the trade name Strokes of Genius Painting for 13 years, and that has never changed. In June we dissolved an old corporation in order to merge it with a corp from our sister renovations division. I assume this is the "shady" practice being referenced above.

I apologize for the long response, but we take our reputation and integrity very seriously and simply could not leave these negative public comments on here without thoroughly addressing them.

Daniel Smith
Owner/General Manager
Strokes of Genius Painting

Helen McLaughlin from Ottawa
Helen McLaughlin from Ottawa

deck staining

This is a follow up to my previous report and I am so pleased to say that I have just met with Dan and gone over the particulars of my dissatisfaction. Dan has just guaranteed that the deck will be redone this coming week and all the details he provided gave me every confidence that the work will be done with professionalism and integrity. Other work Dan has completed for me has been highly successful and perhaps this instance was just one of miscommunication that will be rectified this coming week. . In summary I would once again be pleased to recommend Dan and Strokes of Genius Painting . Thank you Dan for taking the time on this long weekend to meet with us.

Review has 1 previous version

Ottawa
Ottawa

Painting Entire House

These guys were great. They were flexible in when they could come in to work around our other contractors too. They had few deficiencies which they fixed quickly and without hassle.

More about Strokes of Genius Painting and Genius GC

At Strokes of Genius Painting and Genius General Contracting, we pride ourselves on delivering quality, guaranteed workmanship at a reasonable price... AND on a reasonable timeframe! We strive to be the perfect one-stop-shop for any of your home improvement needs. Whether your project is as simple as painting a bathroom, or as complicated as a full kitchen renovation... or anything in between, give us a call to see why we are the best company in Ottawa to guide you through the process. We are a 100% local company, no franchise fees back to Toronto or elsewhere, just a tight-knit team of skilled local painters and trades excited to help you transform your home!

Our reviews speak for themselves-- over 7 years of overwhelmingly 10/10 reviews from happy clients who hired us for all kinds of painting and home improvement projects, and were extremely happy with the results. After you read through our testimonials here, check out our websites for many more photos of our work and lots more information about the Genius advantage: www.StrokesofGenius.ca for painting, and www.GeniusGC.ca for everything else!