Mainland Ventures

Reviews for Mainland Ventures

Ingrid from Vancouver
Ingrid from Vancouver

Bathroom renovation

I’m so pleased that Mainland Ventures were able to renovate my bathroom as I’m so satisfied with both the result and with the process. At every stage, my requests were met with consideration and promises made were always honoured. The project was reasonably priced, came in on budget and the workmanship is excellent. There was never any delay that might have arisen through materials or tradespeople not being available. Work always started on time, building debris was promptly removed and the work area was clean and orderly at the end of each work day. Amazing! Thank you so much to all the team members at Mainland, especially to Russell, Paul and Mira.

Hello Ingrid. Thank you very much for your time and kind words about your experience with us. We are also very pleased with how your project turned out and we wish you many years of enjoyment in your updated and stylish new bathroom. We appreciate your patience with the scheduling of a start date. Your understanding that we needed to move the tentative date so that we could fully focus on your project (and so there would be no delays once we started) says more about you than us. It was an absolute pleasure meeting and working with you. If you ever have any questions or concerns please don't ever hesitate to reach out. Take good care.

jay sakamoto in Vancouver
jay sakamoto in Vancouver
2 reviews , ON

Basement Kitchen renovation

I am normally overly verbose when writing reviews like this, but in Mainland Ventures case it’s simple. If you’re considering doing any kind of renovation in the biggest investment of your life, you need to give MLV a call before you make a final decision.
Talk to Mira in the office, and she’ll somehow get Paul to give you a call. Paul will then take the time to work with you and adjust the scale of your project to fit your budget whatever that is. Our budget was small so Paul allowed us to do some of the work, ( remove old cabinets and drywall, build new cabinets ), ourselves to save on costs, and then had his people do the more technical things like replacing drywall, new electrical and plumbing and the install of the new cabinets. Everybody Paul sent over was extremely professional and their work meticulous. Paul managed our project on our schedule and never tried to rush it along. We couldn’t be more pleased with the results of the remodel, and would absolutely recommend Mainland Ventures to anyone looking for honesty, integrity and the genuine desire to make your dreams come true.
Thank you Paul, Mira, Sean, Russell, Howard from AB Tech, the electricians, Matt and Thomas, and of course, mascot Rocky!

Hello Jay. Thank you so very much for your incredibly prompt, praise-filled review. It is the most satisfying part of my job knowing that my team and I can leave wonderful people like you happy and willing to share your contentment on internet platforms such as Homestars. These days it is somewhat challenging to get people to write about their experiences but I feel that it is so important to keep asking so that others can know what to expect when hiring a company.

I wish I could write a review about how wonderful it was working with you, Lily, and the sweetest old dog in the world Mitchell (don't tell Rocky I said that or he'll get jealous). You would easily gain a 10+ star score for being such fantastic, easy-going, understanding, and kind-hearted, animal-loving people that you are. I am infinity blessed to have met and worked with you on your basement renovation. I look forward to tackling the next project along side your ever developing renovation skills.

Deborah C in Vancouver
Deborah C in Vancouver

Bathroom Reno

We chose Mainland Ventures to do our improvements based on the stunning reviews we read on Homestars! What a fortunate decision that was!

We live in a heritage townhouse. We chose to convert our bathtub to a walk in shower. From our initial consultation with Paul, we knew we were in good hands. We felt as though we were Mainland’s most important clients (knowing full well we were anything but). In spite of the small size of our job, we were afforded Paul’s attention and expertise. We were encouraged to describe our vision and advised if we were exceeding our budget. Any unforeseen costs were reviewed before proceeding.

Russell was here everyday and worked hard. He is such a great guy who does amazing work. He is a perfectionist. His attention to detail is remarkable. After 4 weeks working daily on a bathroom, we felt he was close to being a member of the household. He arrived on time, was as quiet and unobtrusive as a tradesperson could possibly be. At the end of his day, he would tidy up (vacuuming!) and leave the project in the best possible shape. Outstanding!

Mario did our tile work. He is very skilled having learned the business from his family. We marvel at the gorgeous results.

We didn’t get to know the other tradesmen as well, but electrician, plumber and shower glass folks were all prompt and pleasant. Their work is more than satisfactory.

We are so very pleased with the work Mainland Ventures did for us. We won’t hesitate to contact Paul for any future projects. My only concern....after all these amazing reviews, they will be so busy we’ll have to get in line :-)

Thank you for the thoughtfully written, detailed and incredible kind-worded review. Russell, Mario and myself are currently blushing from your praise :) You did fail to mention one very important point in the review however, and that is that you both have a saintly level of patience. When your tentative start date was moved quite significantly due to the RAPS hospital requiring more time than I had anticipated, your understanding and positive attitude made me want to work with you both so much more. There is technical skill, a knowledge-base, and attention to detail required to execute renovations competently but what defines the success of the project most often comes down to the human component. We have an amazing group of guys and couple that with remarkable people like yourselves and nothing but a successful outcome can be the result. It was an absolute pleasure meeting and working with you. Should you ever require any future home improvement services, you are now an MLV alumni and rested assured we will always squeeze you in no matter how busy our schedule. The completion of your project is not the end of our relationship but the beginning. Thank you again for the time you took to write about your experience with us. Take good care.

New Animal Hospital Renovation

Mainland Ventures was an irreplaceable partner to the Regional Animal Protection Society in the creation of the RAPS Animal Hospital.

Mainland – and their professional trades team – executed the entire $500,000 build of the veterinary hospital – a project that would have cost closer to $900,000 had Mainland’s expertise not saved us more than $300,000 on the project. They also donated about $100,000 of in-kind value to the project.

They took a dilapidated 6,000-square-foot space that had been used for several years as little more than storage and reinvented it into a truly breath-taking, sparkling state-of-the-art hospital.

Their attention to detail throughout the project has been amazing. They confidently guided us (most of our team being largely inexperienced in such matters), implementing the most difficult technical aspects of building a hospital, including an x-ray room, surgical room, integrating unique machinery, complex piping installations and complex HVAC, including separated and confined systems to stop cross-contamination between rooms to keep them sterile.

They worked so smoothly with our team and always were communicative and collaborative. Inevitable emergencies were handled immediately. They even handled all city permits for us, which took a huge burden off our staff.

Mainland managed all outside tradespeople and have clearly built superb relationships with professionals who do exceptional work. Even after the project was complete, Mainland continues to assist us when any issues arise. Their work is guaranteed and we have every confidence in the excellent quality of absolutely everything they have done for us.

As a bonus, they even took it upon themselves to donate the time and equipment to rebuild the cat room at our City Animal Shelter.

To say Mainland went above and beyond is an understatement. They made what was a daunting process for us as straightforward and stress-free as a project of this magnitude could be. We are so grateful and have not the slightest hesitation in recommending Mainland Ventures with the highest praise.

I am so honored, grateful, humbled, and appreciative to have been a part of this extremely rewarding project that is so personally meaningful. We are long-time supporters of RAPS and I have always had rescue pets run the household. I can easily say, this was the most meaningful project of my 25 year career. Animal welfare is a principle that I hold near and dear to my heart. So being a part of a project that will help so many animals into the future is something I will always be proud of. It was a challenging and highly technical project and I gained so much knowledge from being a part of it. How often can you say you were a part of something so special?

I would like to personally acknowledge and thank Eyal Lichtmann , the CEO who had an ingenious idea and brought it to life. Eyal is utterly brilliant for bringing a self- sustaining medical care system to the rescue organization model. It is going to be hugely successful and they'll be able to help a great many more animals decades into the future. I would also like to thank the incredible generosity of the Applewood group, the Auto-mall board, the hardworking, animal loving members of RAPS, and the veterinarian college for providing my company this once in a lifetime community legacy project.

If you haven’t yet seen this incredible, state- of-the- art, animal hospital, I can’t give it enough praise through words. You just have to see it for yourself.

Also, when considering adding a loving companion animal to your family please save a life and choose adoption!

Diana in Toronto
Diana in Toronto

Deck replacement

Paul and his crew were terrific and made a huge improvement to the back of our house. They were patient and willing to accommodate extra side jobs that cropped up. We are very pleased with the end result and look forward to seeing them in the spring to help us with some more improvements.
We congratulate them on recent additions to their families and wish them the very best for Christmas and the New Year.
Diana and Patrick

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We also appreciate your patience in segmenting your project as well as for being so wonderful when we had other issues spring up. We are welcoming the newest MLV baby Emma to the world. She arrived on Monday night! 2017 is truly MLVs "Year of the Baby" with 3 wonderful arrivals this year (Conor Jr (Feb), Carmilla (Nov), and Emma (Nov). Thank you for your holiday wishes. May you and your family have a lovely Christmas and a bright happy New Year. We look forward to seeing you and Patrick in the spring. Take good care.

Anita in Vancouver
Anita in Vancouver

Room separation.

This summer we had Paul and the team work to turn our very large Master Bedroom into two smaller bedrooms for our daughters. The work went very quickly and smoothly. Paul and Conor were there from the beginning to discuss any issues and to make sure we had thought through the various logistics of the renovation. They are always open to changes to plan and do their best to accommodate anything that is needed.

We have hired Mainland to do a number of jobs around our place, from replacing doors to moving lighting and power and we are ALWAYS so impressed with the quality of the workmanship. Most importantly for us though is that the workers that Paul hires are extremely professional and thorough. They are always on time, respectful of the home, and very hard-working. We always recommend Mainland to anyone who wants to have a job well done, on time and on budget.

Anita and Erik Nordby

Dear Anita and Erik, It is with great pleasure that I read your review. Thank you so very much for taking the time to share the experience that you had with us. I'm thrilled that you are happy with the end result and that we were able to once again make the experience a positive one for you and your family. Until the next project, take very good care.

Brian in Vancouver
Brian in Vancouver

Downstairs Bathroom REMODEL

Around September 2016, I decided that I wanted a downstairs bathroom refresh. The shower tiles were falling out, the dry wall around the shower was soft and there was visible staining (water/mold) under the vinyl flooring. I wanted to replace the flooring/bathtub/tiles/toilet. I used Google to contact 4 contractors who came by to give me quotes on job. I was quoted 10,000 to 15,000 by 2 of the contractors and the other 2 contractors said the job was too small for them and would not take the job. Not confident with the contractors that I met with, I called around to other renovation companies. They all said that the job was too small for their company.

November 2016, I stumbled upon HomeStars: Mainland Ventures. The company reviews were stellar, so I arranged for an quote/estimate. Paul showed up on time and answered all my questions/concerns with confidence. I was happy that no job was too small for Mainland Ventures. I decided that this company was a right fit. Paul was very flexible and patient while answering all my questions. Before leaving, Paul took a sample of the drywall and vinyl flooring to test for Asbestos. Paul provided me with a quote of $8,000 for the job within a couple days.

We arranged for a February 2017 construction start date. Unfortunately that construction date was cancelled due to a high level of ASBESTOS found in the drywall and 3 layers of vinyl flooring. The house was built in the 1960s.

This threw a huge wrench into my plans and budget. An asbestos abatement was required before construction. I had Paul come back with the asbestos abatement people who gave me a quote on the removal. Paul was very honest and clear about my options. He was confident that he could get the job done by removing only the drywall/vinyl around the areas to be renovated. I was uncomfortable with having half the bathroom renovated and half still contaminated with Asbestos. I made the decision to completely gut the bathroom and replace everything: drywall, tub, tiles, vanity, fixtures, flooring, toilet. I was unhappy with the plumbing layout as well, so I requested a quote for plumbing reconfiguration. I felt that moving the tub, vanity and toilet around would make the bathroom more open and functional. I came up with a non-traditional, unconventional bathroom layout. If you're going to do it, do it right and I wanted a bathroom I loved. Paul gave me his honest input about my layout and he did not recommend it, but I knew this layout was what I wanted.

Asbestos Abatement and Plumbing re-configurations added a CONSIDERABLE amount to the initial budget. I obviously didn't want to spend this much, but since the bathroom was opened up anyways, I decided to go for it.

Asbestos Abatement was completed late May 2017. These guys were extremely professional, efficient, hardworking and CLEAN! With the amount of garbage that came out of that small bathroom, I was very impressed when they left my place clean and tidy. They laid down plastic, vacuumed the work area and left my carport clean.

Construction/Renovation/Remodel started Jun 2017. I was given a time line of approximately 6 weeks. The job was completed in 5 weeks.

Russell was assigned to handle my job. He was polite, considerate, extremely hard working, diligent, efficient and CLEAN. I can't express how appreciative I was that Russell treated my home like his own. He always vacuumed the bathroom work area and carport before he left for the day. I feel very fortunate to have had Russell work on my project. I am an extremely picky person and notice small imperfections in my work as well as others. Russell was perfect. I had ZERO complaints about his work. Every time he left for the day, I would inspect his work and I could not find anything to be nit picky about. His lines were clean, there were NO mistakes in his work, everything was level, cut properly, and installed correctly.

The electrician and plumber on Paul's team were friendly, hardworking and efficient as well.

I intend to use Mainland Ventures for ALL future home projects and would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend them to friends, family and co-workers. Paul and his team are as close as you can get to the best all round experience from consultation/quotes to construction.

I am extremely happy with the quality of work and final result. The bathroom turned out much better than I expected.

I chose Mainland Ventures based on HomeStars reviews and I'm glad I did. All testimonials are true to this company's professionalism and quality of work.

Paul is very honest and transparent. He doesn't up-sell unnecessary work. I find him to be trustworthy, patient and flexible when answering all questions.

Dear Brian,
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your very thoughtful review of your experience with us. I know how incredibly busy you are with your very important public service position which makes the time and effort put into writing this review so much more meaningful and I sincerely thank you for doing it. I especially appreciate that you took the effort to include the timeline of how the events unfolded and the exceptional detail and praise for Russell throughout. He will be thrilled to read how happy you were with him and his quality of work. Although, it is always disappointing to find asbestos prior to beginning a job, we take the safety of our clients, their visitors, our employees, and the environment very seriously.
I also must say that I am very pleased to have been able to complete the project to your self- assigned level of “nit-pickiness”. You did mention to me prior to us starting your job that you are very quality conscious and that you will be looking for “mistakes”. It is a really great feeling to know we were able to pass your inspections of the quality of the work performed. It is our policy to clean up at the end of each day so that when the client like you comes home, even in the midst of demolition, there is a sense of calm, cleanliness, and safety. Even if in the review you make it sound like you’re maybe a little pickier than most, you are truly one of the nice guys that are a true pleasure to know and work with. Once again Brian, thank you for this exceptional review. I sincerely appreciate it and really hope to see you soon.

Sharon & Brad in Vancouver
Sharon & Brad in Vancouver

Character home renovation

We have been truly amazed by the positive experience working with Mainland Ventures and are thrilled with the end results of our renovation. From the first time we met with Paul to discuss our hopes and plans, we were extremely impressed with his professionalism, listening skills and resourcefulness. Once we arrived at a plan together to create our dream living space, the 5-month project started and ended exactly on time and exceeded our expectations (which were already high after reading all the glowing reviews!) He brought in a wonderful and highly skilled team, led by the amazing Conor, all of whom gained our trust and admiration from the moment they arrived. Aside from doing stunning and high-quality work, Conor, Russell, Sean, Ivan and the rest of the team were extremely kind and easy to talk to, and they impressed both us and our neighbours with their excellent work ethic, reliability and courteous manner. They handled the quirks of a 90-year-old house with patience and expertise, and came up with a brilliant solution for any challenge that came up along the way. Paul was responsive and approachable throughout, kept in constant contact with us and was very quick to answer questions or provide feedback or advice. We feel very fortunate to have chosen Mainland Ventures for our renovation and are extremely happy with all of the excellent work that was done. They are a top-notch company and we highly recommend them!

Dear Sharon and Brad. Thank you so much for your time and thoughtfulness in writing about your experience with us. It is with great pride and satisfaction that I read your extraordinary review. The guys were overjoyed that they received specific praise and it really means a lot when people can recognize their hard work and attention to detail that they strive to achieve each and every day. On behalf of all of our team, I’d like to let you know personally, how much of a true pleasure it was working with you.
You may feel fortunate to have worked with us on your home beautification project but in reality it is us who are the fortunate ones. The success of a project largely comes from working with kind, understanding, and generally good-people of which we have been very fortunate to have found in working with you. You really made this project so fun, so smooth, and really just a wonderful experience all around. When issues popped up you were receptive and patient; very understanding and reasonable in the solutions or remediation’s needed. The client’s attitudes and demeanors are a huge factor in the “success” of what is a very overwhelming and stressful undertaking especially with the length and breadth of the project that we completed for you. We are sad to be moving on from your project but we wish you many years of enjoyment in your absolutely stunning “new” home. Take very good care. And thank you for your support! Remember should you have any questions or concerns or just want to say hi please don’t ever hesitate to give me a call. This is not the end of our relationship but the beginning.

Jared in East Van
Jared in East Van

Backyard Deck and Storage

I was very happy to have found Mainland ventures. I spent almost a year meeting with contractors and getting quotes before Paul came out, and I'm glad I waited. As a starting point, the work is fantastic and we came in below budget/estimate. We love our deck back deck and double french doors - it's like an extension of our home. All of the contractors were extremely professional and patient when our kids wanted to watch and talk to them. We plan to do more work with Mainland in the future.

Thank you Jared for writing your very kindly worded review so promptly! I am thrilled that you are happy with the new deck and I am always pleased when we can come under budget for a project. Your children were a DELIGHT to have around and I know the guys will miss answering their very inquisitive questions about what we were doing and how we were going to do it. I think that maybe in a few years they can take over my position as Project Manager ;) We look forward to working with you on the garage removal project. Until then, take good care.

Catherine in Vancouver
Catherine in Vancouver
2 reviews Richmond, BC

Dental Office Cabinetry

After Paul and his team at Mainland Ventures did such a great job with our home bathroom renovation, we decided to get Paul to redo some of the cabinetry and countertops in our dental office. The office was only closed for one week, so Paul worked really hard to ensure that the project was completed to working order within our tight timeframe, and without disrupting the flow of the dental office. We were so grateful that he was able to squeeze us into his already busy schedule, as we approached him to do this project quite close to the start date. Everything went smoothly, thanks to Paul's great organizational skills and his professional, knowledgeable and efficient team. The finished project was done with exceptional quality, as we have come to expect from Mainland Ventures. Thanks Paul, for another job well done! We would definitely recommend Mainland Ventures for anyone who needs a renovation.

It is with great satisfaction that I read your review. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write about your second experience working with us. I only feel comfortable taking partial credit for the success of your dental office renovation. The remaining credit is due to both you and Dr. Chris Soo's exceptionally kind, friendly, and pleasant personalities. I sincerely appreciate working with you again and wish you both years of success at your business. Although I am hesitant (nervous) to visit the Dentist, the next time I am due for a checkup you'll see me on the schedule as I'm sure I'll be in capable, reassuring, and professional hands.

More about Mainland Ventures

Mainland Ventures Corp. is a renovations and restorations company working primarily in the Metro Vancouver, Vancouver Island, and Sunshine Coast areas. Our pride stems from the ability to work with the homeowner in developing a design, style, and a work timeline that fits within the customer’s budget, and needs. Moreover, Mainland Ventures Corp. is a diversified company that specializes in all forms of renovations and building in both the interior and exterior of the home, office, or industrial center.

Whether you want us to manage your entire renovation project or just a part of it, Mainland Ventures Corp. will work with you the entire way to ensure your complete satisfaction.

We Specialize in:
Hardwood, Laminate, and Tile Flooring
Custom Kitchens and Bathrooms
New Suites
Sundecks, Patios, and Fencing
Garages, Enclosures, and Siding
Finishing (e.g., Baseboards, Crown Mouldings)
Residential and Commercial