Stonefeatherlandscapes

Landscape Contractors & Designers
65 Knighton Drive toronto ON M4A 1V9
HomeStars  >  Landscape Contractors & Designers in Toronto  >  Stonefeatherlandscapes

Reviews for Stonefeatherlandscapes

Jacub in Pickering
1 review Pickering, ON

John did the stone work on the landing in front of my door and replaced wooden door sill with stone back in 2014. Looks great and still holding well after almost three years.

Jayson in the Beaches

Have had two jobs at two different homes completed by John at Stonefeather. Great work. Very meticulously done and very creative. Came in on time and budget. Would definitely recommend.

Jayson, Much appreciated. Looking forward to the next challenge. John

Phil and Ann Johnson in Scarborough

John was a great person to deal with. He was very hard working and punctual and finished the job on time. He had many good suggestions along the way, some of which we incorporated. All in all very professional. Would highly recommend him and would definitely use his services again.

Phil,Anne, The pleasure was all mine. Couldn't have done it without the genial conversation and the morning coffee. John

Ron in Toronto

We hired Stone Feather Landscapes to remove an old , rotting wood retaining wall on our front lawn. We initially planned to use large stone blocks but John convinced us that using smaller natural stone beams would be better and was he right. The large stone blocks would have taken up a good part of our lawn and the natural stone beams are more aesthetically pleasing and tie in with the rest of the garden. The work was started and completed on time for the budgeted amount. Would definitely use in the future.

Richard in Toronto

I originally hired John to do a small area at our two front doors. The work was black stone laid and mortared. I then got him to build a cobblestone mini wall at the edge of our property, toped with dark grey flagstone. He also ordered and laid my sod/grass and repaired a few cobblestones in my driveway that were loose as an extra. I found John to be proficient in his stonework, reasonable in his pricing and a pleasant person to deal with overall.

Richard, You certainly had no doubt as to exactly what you wished to accomplish. It was a
a most rewarding (in many ways) pleasure to help you along the way. John

Roman in Toronto

A co-worker recommended that we call John at Stone Feather Landscapes. Very happy that we did.
Stone Feather Landscapes completed the work during the summer of 2013 and am still pleased with John's woHonestrk (February of 2017). John works alone and his attention to detail is amazing. He completed the project on time at his original estimate.
We were so comfortable with John's work ethics that we were able to leave for vacation knowing that he wouldn't stop working or cut corners. He kept true to his word.

Roman, You got the project, but I got the fun (and the memories) . John

1 review Ajax, ON

My front steps were the builder's variety, 8x8 timbers, crushed limestone, and interlock. As there were 8 or 9 steps, the staircase was gradually collapsing. Stone Feather Landscapes replaced the mess with a poured concrete foundation which was then covered with stone. In addition, a patio was graded and laid extending from the front steps around the full front of the house. Outstanding work done.

David, I was fully aware of the expectations, so acknowledgment from you was a satisfying reward . John

Nick in Downsview

I was quoted a price for a 60 foot armour stone retaining wall and install of a hot tub base. It was to be completed over a 3-4 week period. We were quoted $17K.

Over that time, I checked with John the owner, to see if we were on track according to the quote, (understanding that with large projects, things can change in real time). John told me that his quote was now "out the window" and it needed to be updated. It seems he did not take into account how much work it really required. I asked him to give me the revised price and it turned out to be 60% higher. That significant blow was made worse by the condition of my backyard. It was an absolute mess, and no other contractor would touch it so I was forced to proceed with this new price.

Since John is a one-man-show, the retaining wall took over 2.5 months to complete vs. 3 weeks and he did not install the hot tub base. Although he is a creative landscaper, he did not complete the job and he went way over budget.

Our challenges did not end there. John ordered a bin to remove earth from the property. With all the weight, the bin sank into my asphalt driveway and damaged it. I asked John to fix it. He said I would have to pay him for time and material. ??? Also, in order to get the bobcats and excavators in the back yard John damaged the entire front yard (which was expected) and he explained that the sod repair is also my cost, ie he did not add it to the quote. (Who does that to a customer?).

While completing the retaining wall, John was to prep the backyard for patio slab installation. To add insult to injury, he did not grade the property properly, and water now collects and puddles in the middle (it is presently a swimming pool of rain and snow). He also did not lay down fabric before laying 30 yards of HPB, so now the property has to be re-graded and much of the HPB removed and replaced, again. Furthermore, I obviously chose not to proceed with him to install the patio pavers, but the damage is done and we’re now paying the price. We have to redo all his prep work which will cost me. Three Unilock contractors came out and explained that there is a huge drainage issue and it must be redone.

In retrospect, I should have turned away when he would not provide references. This I admit, was my mistake. When we pressed him, he did provide one reference and it happened to be a relative of mine. My relative did not know him. He did work at the site but my relative did not book that job with him; the guy he was working for booked it so I cannot confirm how much of the work John did there. It was a weak referral and one we shouldn’t have placed any value on.

My only positive note is that the retaining wall did meet our expectations. His masonry work was good. It’s his business skills and soft skills that leave much to be desired, and ended up costing us far more that we bargained for.

I hope this allows you to make an informed decision. Ask for references (some just give you pictures - not enough). Detail the entire quote including repair to sod and clean-up work. Check every day to ensure that your contractor is on track with the quote.
Good luck

Nick, 29 Hatherton Cres. M3A 19P
Thank you for the constructive review with regard to the "one man show." Skilled proficiency in all aspects of the trade has allowed me success in the business for 23 years in Denmark and Toronto.
The original quote was for something very small to what was completed in the end.
An increase in costs can only be expected.
No one would pay for work they did not receive.
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

Isabel (North York, ON)
6 reviews North York, ON

We went through a number of quotes for our front porch. John's quote was the most reasonable. He is a very easy person to work with, good quality workmanship. We are very happy with his work and his professionalism. Many of our neighbours have positive comment for the end result.

Isabel,
Thank you , I thoroughly enjoyed the work on all the projects around your home .
Sincerely, John

More about Stonefeatherlandscapes

stonefeatherlandscapes. ca 65 Knighton Drive M4A 1V9 functional aesthetic creative stonework stonemason for 23 years in Denmark and Toronto [email protected] com