First Choice Garage Doors

Garage Doors & Hardware
Toronto ON M1R 3W8
HomeStars  >  Garage Doors & Hardware in Scarborough  >  First Choice Garage Doors

Reviews for First Choice Garage Doors

Replacing a broken spring

Job was done properly a few weeks ago. However, they made a mess and did not clean it. They also left the broken spring behind. I do not want to talk about their customer service as it is is the rudest and poorest I have ever experienced.

Mondeo Citizen in Mississauga
Mondeo Citizen in Mississauga

Make sure it is Larry

The wire fell off my garage door and I could not longer use the remote to open and close it. I called First Choice to fix it. They sent Larry's son. He put the wire ON and 1 week later it fell OFF again. Called him again, he came and sure enough 3 days later the wire fell OFF again. I called again and talked to the boys Mother, an abrupt lady who needs to be a little nicer. She basically said that my door is old and blamed the door instead of the shoddy work of the son. I asked this time for the son to return to finish the job. He came and blamed the track and promised if I bought new rollers the door would work perfectly. I paid for the rollers he brought and by now $275.00 into the job expected a fixed door. Unbelievably, the wire fell OFF just 2 days after the new rollers. I called the Mother again. She said that they would come. They didn't. Called again 2 days later, she promised to come on a Saturday between 10-1. They didn't show up. I called the other number (416) 283-2009 and got hold of Larry. He had heard about my problem and promised to come on the following Saturday between 11-1. He did not show up, and he did not call to say he would not show up. When I called them I got the lady [who I think is Larry's wife] and she said that Larry is sick with flu. He would come in a few days when he was better. I called 2 days later, she said he was still sick. I called 2 days after than and he was still sick with the flu. I asked for a refund as my door has not been working for over 2 months. She said that there will be no refund and that Larry will be by to fix the door when he recovered.

After another week and right as another company was set to come and do the repair I heard from Larry himself. He came and by this time I had damaged the door trying to fix it. I did hire him to fix the door and it is working perfectly now.

So the moral of the story make sure Larry is the person who you call, do not let anyone else work on your door.

Review has 1 previous version
bill n in Scarborough
bill n in Scarborough
1 review Scarborough, ON

Garage door

Larry and his installer Owen were very patient and diligent in dealing with my garage door for a new house construction. The driveway is a reverse slope in which a low profile garage door had to be installed. My concern was a low profile door would takeaway from the look of the house. Both Larry and Owen assured me that the door would be installed with the largest clearance possible. We set up a mockup which was acceptable and the final door exceeded our expectations-thanks for a great job

Indra from Scarborough
Indra from Scarborough
1 review Scarborough, ON

Service

I was quoted a price over the phone by Cindy, Larry the owner came over to take measurements and seemed visibly upset after knowing the price quoted by Cindy. He also told us he would clean up and it would be like they (he and another worker) were never there. We received quite a few quotes and theirs were the most economical and initially they (Larry and Cindy) were very friendly and nice. Larry came to install the garage door in a foul mood, he left for 3 hours without informing us, Cindy was called and she too couldn't find him. When he returned, again in a foul mood he left again but informed us he was going to check on another job. He had his own ladder, but also used ours without seeking permission, my daughters were at home and said they suspect something was up and kept an eye on him. He kept telling them they should go inside (they stayed outside when he was cleaning up suspecting he was interested in our new ladder). I later read a review from a customer filed just after our job was completed and the customer suspected Larry took their ladder. The job was completed around 10 PM, he insisted he would have the warranty, but did not. He said we can get it the next day from Cindy, she was rude on the phone and insisted it was mailed out. A little over two weeks later we are still waiting on the warranty. Our attempts to pick-up the warranty are met with resistance, Cindy insists she is not at the office and that the warranty was mailed out. She also complained that Larry went so far as to sweep the garage after he was done and was not required to do so. While he worked the place was a complete mess with bolds, nails and screws all over the place. He swept up his own mess but Cindy made a deal about it as if he did us favours. I would not recommend this company to anyone! I called again today about the warranty and again Cindy told me it is in the mail and again she is not there in the office, and by the time I get home from work their office is closed. Cindy's attitude is very poor, and both Larry and Cindy are unprofessional. Again, I would NEVER recommend First Choice Garage Door.

Indra in Scarborough

I quoted this job over the phone on a Sunday, I have always been nothing put polite and professional with this customer, the same can not be said about her, She was comfortable with the price and I informed her that this price incl removal of her existing door and that if she had a opener then they would re-install it on her new door.The night before the new door was to be installed Larry dropped it off at her home st which time her daughter mentioned that they had bought a new opener and that to make sure that it would be installed, he responded that they would have to pay extra for that and left it at that. When Indra came home she called Larry right away and told him that I had stated that the opener was included in the price of the new door, he let her know that her old machine being re-installed was incl but not a new machine, shortly after she called me and we had the same conversation and I told her I never stated that and that upon speaking with the installer he had stated that instead of charging what we would for a new opener he would do it for her $50 cheaper she agreed. The day of installation came and there were 2 installers on site. They used their own ladders and did have to leave the job to get parts but the daughter who was at home was informed of this, While doing the job they were constantly in the garage being watched which is very hard when the installers are trying to work and it is also a safety issue that is why he told them to go inside, Our installers do not steal and have never stolen from any jobs.While he worked his materials were on the garage floor and Indra was complaining instead of waiting for him to finish and he cleaned up her mess in the garage by sweeping it not his own, he also took garbage of hers that had nothing to do with the door.Indra phoned me the next day about the warranty and I was not rude I told her it was mailed out and I told her how Larry felt like she took advantage of him and treated him very rudely, she was not impressed and hung up.I heard nothing more until about 3 weeks after the job was completed and Indra called me from her work and again asked about the warranty which I told her had gone in the mail and that had she not got it then it would have been returned to me because I put the return address on all mail. I told her I would call her back because I was on the road or she could call me and she then threatened me and stated that I better watch my back I told her not to threaten me and she stated that I will see, I have since reported this to police and if she contacts me again she will be facing criminal charges, This all happened on a Friday and by Monday she posted this. I have sent her the warranty and her job was completed she has no issues, she's just not happy because she tried to get her machine installed for free and we wouldn't allow it. She has clearly copied the other comments that were posted on here from almost a year ago because she has to have something to write. She got a great deal and our installer bent over backwards for her and then she tried to take full advantage,This review is nothing but false and shows the depths that people will go to when they don't get their own way!

Mark in Mississauga in Mississauga
Mark in Mississauga in Mississauga

2 garage doors installed

Before garage doors were installed I was promised by Larry (owner) that they would clean up completely and that I would not even know they had been there.
After the doors were installed by Owen (Larry's helper) it was getting dark. I did the best I could to inspect the job. Unfortunately after paying Owen for the job, he was gone in a flash. The next day, I noticed he had made several cutting mistakes in the rubber installation, which stops mice, bugs and cold air from getting into the garage. Also I was missing my small 4 step ladder (which is hard to prove. When I called Larry, I got the run around about its not urgent and they would be there sometime. After 2 weeks I called and again Larry was very rude about why I was complaining about the job. He again promised he would repair the work, but 2 weeks latter he was a no show again. All I wanted Larry to do was finish the job. To-date the job is still not complete.
Never ever use this company, because the service and customer service attitude is terrible. Use Home depot or Sears, but never use First Choice Garage Doors...never ever...

Benny in OAKVILLE
Benny in OAKVILLE
1 review OAKVILLE, ON

2 new Carriage Style Garage Doors from CHI

Price was quoted as most attractive in the marketplace (we had 4-5 quotes). Delivery of doors was promised within a few days, which turned out to be a 2-3 week wait. We had some issue with the weather stripping as cold air was being let into the garage. The garage actually felt colder than when we had not insulated doors. The installer Owen took sometime to connect with but eventually came back and did rectify the problem. The doors look great, the issues were resolved however I wish the workmanship to begin with was at a higher standard. Would I use them again however - yes.

Review has 2 previous versions

More about First Choice Garage Doors

Welcome to First Choice Garage Doors your #1 choice for all your Garage Doors needs. First Choice Garage Doors has been in business for over 12 years. We are a Canadian based company serving GTA and surrounding areas. The secret to our success and growth is simple 100% customer satisfaction. ...