The Door Company

9236 Castor Road OTTAWA ON K1Y0X6
HomeStars  >  Garage Doors & Hardware in Ottawa  >  The Door Company

Reviews for The Door Company

Horrible Service! Took Our Money

DO NOT CALL THEM FOR SERVICE. DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS! This is the first complain post I have ever written about a company because we were so appalled at this company. We received a Door Company garage door with our new home. We were under warranty and our garage door sensors stopped working properly. We called the Door Company and let them know of the issue and that we were under warranty. The service lady was very quick on the phone and quite rude. They scheduled a service call and the service worker mentioned that the issue was the sensor and went ahead to fix it. When we finished he provide us with a paper to sign that said it was chargeable. He would not leave until I signed the paper. I did so so he would leave our property. We called the company right after he left to inform them that this was under our warranty and should not be charged. The lady there said a service manager would get back to us. After repeated attempts by phone and email the service manager never got back to us. They continued to send outstanding invoices. We finally got a call from their accounts department threatening that they were going to send us to collections. We had to pay a bill for services we did not agree to and that should have been covered under warranty! We have submitted a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. This company is awful! They are unresponsive, rude and disrespectful. They just want to take your money. Be warned all!

NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY

We have a door installed through our Home builder that was under warranty with The Door Company, it began working intermittently and we called to have a representative come to diagnose the problem. During the initial conversation we indicated the door was still under warranty and we were told that the service call would be covered as we were still within our one year warranty period.

Fast track to the day of the service call, the representative fixed this issue (sensors) and then decided to go ahead and add some lube to the tracks (not required at all) and then proceeded to hand over a bill for all of the work.

At no point did the representative indicate a charge would be issued before completing any work like any decent person would. The representative handed the bill to my wife and she indicated there she was told no charges would be issued as we were still under warranty, the representative would not leave the property without a signature to sign off on the work. My wife was adamant that we were not paying the bill and the representative of the door company would not leave and eventually bullied her into signing the paperwork and she said she would on the basis that she believed this was warranty work and should be covered and to have him leave our property as she was quite intimidated by the representative and wanted him off our property.

Fast forward to 3 months later after we had been trying to deal with this through a number of different correspondences via email and phone that were met with "we will get back to you/we will call you back" and they now indicate we owe the money for the work or they will send it to collections. I was threatened with the fact that we "supposedly agreed to the fee in the initial call" and that they had a recording they would use against us to prove it, I called their bluff and asked for the recording, they then indicated they no longer had it... a very dishonest and untrustworthy company.

I would never recommend this company to anybody as they also require you to use them for Garage door opener installation and supply (which they absolutely gouge you for) otherwise they will void your warranty (which is useless in hindsight).

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Horrible Service

Defective garage door was initially installed. Technician came back to fix it, which broke a few days later. Called to notify them that the garage door was still not fixed properly. They then refused to fix it, claiming that they already fixed it! Service is horrible! There are so many better companies out there. Save yourself the headache! Customer service and their quality of work is what makes a company great! Unfortunately, The Door Company fails in both of these categories!

Greg in Bowmanville
Greg in Bowmanville
1 review Bowmanville, ON

Garage Door Replacement, would not recommend

Brief overview of our experience; unorganized and potentially unsafe installers.
We initiated a quote with the Door Company through Costco services and found that the price was comparable to other local companies. We went with Costco services as they were offering a 10% Costco cash back card as an incentive.
The initial site visit went well and install was scheduled for 8-10 weeks later due to their work volumes and the time required to obtain the necessary parts. When we were later contacted to schedule an installation date, we chose a date 4 weeks later due to some scheduling conflicts on our end. At this point we were overall still happy with the service. The install, however, did not go as well.
The installer arrived an hour late and just over 2 hours into the job he advised that he did not have all of the parts to complete the installation and would need to schedule another day to come back. We never received a good explanation from the company to explain why after 10-12 weeks the parts were not on hand, nor why they would have scheduled the install knowing they wouldn’t have the required materials to complete the job on that date.
On the second visit a different installer was sent, he was 2 hours late but was very apologetic. After reviewing the job called us into the garage. He seemed rather frustrated and explained that unfortunately he wasn’t going to be able to complete the install. He showed us how the original installer had made some unsafe shortcuts including using old parts from the previous doors and there was bracing missing. He did not have the parts on hand to correct this as it was not identified on his work order so he would have to reschedule a 3rd visit.
On follow up with the sales person he didn’t have much of a response and stated that without knowing the details he would have to defend the original installer as he was the ‘more experienced’ of the two. This concerned us for two reasons. The initial installer said he had the job prepped and ‘ready to go’ for the second visit which was supposed to be a simple install. However the job was prepped and lined up to be installed using improper secure bracing. At the very best if the first installer, the more “experienced installer”, wanted the job done right then he setup the second installer up for failure by not advising him of the parts and work he would need to finish the job resulting in a required 3rd visit. At the worst case the first installer was just expecting the second installer to complete the job in an unsafe manner. So in the best case the company is unorganized, worst case is they have installers that shortcut installs with potentially unsafe results.
Although the quality of the garage doors themselves seem good, our experience with this company left a sour taste in our mouth. The sales guy was unapologetic for our experience, offered no good explanation as to why it required multiple visits to complete the job, and gave some weak excuses to explain the overall poor job.
Very disappointed in this service. We also issued a compliant to Costco services but never had any follow up. This was a bad first experience with Costco services and likely would not use them again for providing sub-contractors.

Dean and Sarah in Hamilton
Dean and Sarah in Hamilton
2 reviews Newcastle, ON

absolute mess

yesterday the installer from the door company came to install our two new garage doors.
when he arrived he told me we would need some wood to do the job right that was not part of the quote,so i went and got $70 buck worth of wood and brought it back,then he told me the trim that came with the door was not wide enough now the wood was up to cover the wood so i would need to paint or have it capped.
the guy worked hard all day but in the end said he could not finish the job.
This has left us with 2 inoperable doors with gaps all around,also its within 3 feet of the main water supply for the whole house and if that freezes the damage could be in the high tens of thousands.
contacted the company and was sent a text the sales guy is going on holiday and another guy will call me.
This is A pathetic way to run a business.

Replacement of garage door

I live in Backburn Hamlet. It took over 2 months wait and 4 visits to get the job finally done. The technicians had no ideas what I paid for and had to come back doing parts of the job each visit. Not impressed! Shelley was rude and unhelpful when I called.

Kayla in Kemptville
Kayla in Kemptville
1 review Limoges, ON

Great product & install, terrible sales rep

If I could give 6.5 stars, I would.

Things that were great:
- I was contacted less than 24 hours after I requested a quote online.
- Site visit to measure was quick and easily scheduled.
- Door itself is great, installation was excellent. It's a huge asset that I didn't have to be home for the install.
- Price was right.

What left the sour taste in my mouth:
- 5 weeks after paying my deposit and having heard nothing (this was a week after the estimated timeframe given to me by Shelby, main sales rep), I emailed her asking for an update. No response. A week later, I try again. Nothing. Two voicemails. Nothing. It should be noted that my emails and voicemails were polite and friendly, just checking on the status. Due to her lack of response, I was beginning to wonder if my order had even been made.

I ended up calling the shop and talking to someone there. From the tone of their response, I guess this is a normal thing for Shelby; once the deposit is paid, you're proooobably not going to hear from her again.

I'm sorry, but that was pathetic. You can't conduct business like that. I can understand that it was no longer her responsibility, but I think it's horrendous that she would just leave someone (especially someone who has already paid your company a deposit) hanging like that. A simple reply email or phone call instructing me on who I need to speak with would have been more than acceptable. Don't dodge my calls for nearly two weeks. She never did follow up either.

Conclusion: Give them your money, just don't expect Shelby to give you her time after that.

Edit: I'm in Vernon, not Kemptville

Charles from Toronto
Charles from Toronto

Install of 1 garage door

July 6 (took day off) received call day of install, door was damaged, delay by a month. Aug 8 rebook, can't make it previous customer job not finished, booked for next day. The lock and key does not work and door does not stay open. The workers putting up the door was visibly frustrated and swearing. Received call from neighbor because kids heard all this. Not good, they never complain. Lock and key arrive another month later No Show!!! Each day of booking we had to take a day off, really Not Good.
Now Diane (of the door company are on 1st name bases) and she obviously knows this is not good.
The door is finally fixed the week of September 7th.
I felt the need to review as I am curious if this will remain. I gave a 1 star because the sales guy was very nice.

Martin from Ottawa
Martin from Ottawa
3 reviews Ottawa, ON

Garage Door Opener

Garage Door Opener installation (paid through Home Depot). The guy showed up on time and was very courteous. Installed the opener and took the time to explain everything. Would recommend.

Audrey from Kanata
Audrey from Kanata
8 reviews Kanata, ON

Installation of garage door opener

I used the services of The Door Company in June 2013. After my husband tried (and failed) to install our garage door opener, and subsequently broke the door, I finally had enough of the ridiculousness and called The Door Company for help. The technician arrived right on time and was very friendly. He quickly installed the door opener in less than 2 hours and was able to re-attach the hoisting cable that my husband had gotten all tangled. The price was very reasonable and I have had no issues with the door since.

More about The Door Company

The Door Company — Ottawa's trusted Garage Door supplier with 33 years of local service. Product quality and service are what sets us apart. As the region's largest door company, our inventory and volume ensure you are receiving best value for your investment. Count on our Team's combined 150+ years ...