WHEN and WHERE: We moved from a 2-bedroom bungalow in Scarborough to a 3-bedroom house in the Upper Beaches area in Toronto at the end of June.
WHO and HOW: After searching for reviews on homestars for a good mover for several days, we had no luck in finding a mover for our move for end of June because most of the good movers were already booked. We were running out of time and decided to pick a mover that had a reasonable hourly rate, which was Eco Cartage. We went with them as we had no time and took a risk despite of reading about others' horrible experiences with moving companies. They charged an hourly rate of 95/hour for 3 men and a 27ft truck, plus an additional hour of travel charge.
WHAT:So after calling them and getting the rate, a guy came over for a quick look at the amount of items in our house and estimated that it will take about 6-7 hours for the whole move. We signed a paper and payed a small deposit. He took note of the heavier items and assured that there will be no extra charges such as for stairs or heavy items or plants etc etc, which was good.On the move day, the 3 movers arrived 1-hour late, which was not a good sign. However, they started to work non-stop as soon as they came and wrapped delicate items. After a while, we started to move some of the items outside to make it easier for them and also to save on the cost. They did not object to that. All in all, they finished the whole move in 6 hours.
1. They protected the floors and all the items and DID NOT damage any of the items or the floors! This is what really impressed us.
2. They focused on their work avoiding breaks, and this saved on our overall final cost.
3. They did not object to us helping them in moving some of the items.
4. No extra or hidden charges.
1. They were 1-hour late, which could be bad in some situations and for some people, but we had all day, so it didnt discourage us.
2. They charge hourly, which means even if you take 30 mins, they will charge you for the full hour.
3. When they took payment from our visa, we noticed that they charged an extra $35, which we yet have to resolve with them.
OVERALL LESSON: Although luckily we picked a good mover, its always wise to read reviews of movers and pick one you feel comfortable with, and ALWAYS keep their number handy! If you are looking for a mover for a reasonable price and one who will prevent damages, Eco Cartage would be one of the good choices.