Modus Enterprises

Reviews for Modus Enterprises

Carol Zazula in Calgary
Carol Zazula in Calgary

Kitchen Renovation

A total transformation of the kitchen. People can't believe it is the same space. All started with a great design and followed by excellent project execution. The trades were all high quality professionals and provided extended warranties on their work. Kim's project management was excellent and she kept us informed every step of the way; no questions from us went unanswered. Everything was done as planned with removal of the old kitchen on August 17 and final finishes on September 12 which is pretty awesome for all that was done. Would call on Modus for any future renos and will refer friends and family to them. This was a pretty daunting and disruptive event when we started on the renovation path, but thanks to Kim and her teams of tradesmen, our confidence grew as each step of the plan occurred. A ver positive experience.

Private User reviews Turner Valley, AB

NEW KITCHEN INSTALL

I am very impressed with the JOB the guys did ... it was a TEAM effort ... nice to see REAL PROFFESIONAL people at work . KIM was GREAT at coordinating the project . I was almost in a state of shock at how well it all turned out . I will send some pictures when I can

!!! THANK YOU !!!

jjoyce12! in Calgary
jjoyce12! in Calgary

Review of Modus Enterprises

Modus was very efficient and timely with all of their work and our requests. Trades came as scheduled and completed work as scheduled. There was only one trade (Jadestone) that was slow to respond but that was not Modus' fault.

I would highly recommend using Modus to manage and schedule renovation work in the future.

Dear Joyce.
We are thrilled to hear that you had positive experience with our Calgary team! Enjoy the kitchen!!

Nick in Okotoks
Nick in Okotoks
1 review Okotoks, AB

Kitchen Reno

Very impressed with the service received from Modus, I have already recommended them to friends and would happily use them again.

Kim in the Calgary office kept the process simple, transparent and efficient. The various trades (demo crew, drywall crew, electrician, tiler and kitchen installers) were all on time, efficient, highly service focused, and skilled in their trades. I think the costing was very fair also, in comparison to other estimates I obtained. The whole kitchen (from demo to tiling) was done in five days. That's pretty amazing compared to the nightmare stories I hear from friends.

A good, reliable, service orientated company.

Thank you, Nick!
"simple, transparent and efficient" combined with our experience is the winning combo for a successful job. We are glad you have recognized this and are happy that you had positive experience, especially nowadays when those horror stories are a common occurrence in the busy industry. We would be happy to work with you in the future!

Kerry F in Calgary
Kerry F in Calgary

Kitchen installation

We picked a kitchen from Ikea, had their contractor Modus come to our house and design it, and rip out our old one. Sadly things did not go to plan.

We specifically chose a wood coated countertop (Karlby) and then were told at the point of installation that it wouldn't work for our island as it wasn't finished all the way around. They then said it was our fault because we ordered the parts (from their list) from Ikea and that we chose that one (in the presence of the designer). After disputing having to pay extra for new countertops, they refused to install new ones for us saying "we wouldn't be happy" so my husband learned some quick woodworking skills to do it himself as we were left with a half finished kitchen. The only compensation we got was the cost of one of the countertops that we couldn't return as they had cut it already.

The contractors then wouldn't accept responsibility for denting our 9 day old brand new fridge, so they again said because we might have done it (it is at the exact height of the dishwasher they moved against it to install so it wasn't us) they would only pay for half of a new door. So we refused, on the grounds that by doing so would be accepting some sort of liability ourselves. We wanted them to pay for the damage they had done. We later discovered that the island wasn't even straight because they used the wall which wasn't plumb. They also didn't include one of the tall panels we needed to finish the job in the design and therefore it wasn't ordered until after installation.

In full transparency, Modus did offer to take our countertops back to Ikea for us, when the extra part we needed was back in stock. No date was set however and we needed the money to buy new countertops from Lowes. By this point we were fed up so we hired a U-Haul van and went to Ikea to return the countertops ourselves.

Dear Kerry F.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience with our Calgary team. As your kitchen project has now been completed, and our further efforts to work with you towards a more positive outcome have been refused, allow me to lay out the chronological installation process to clarify why the situation turned out the way it did.

Countertop:
Our IKEA Planning specialist met with you as scheduled to assist with planning your kitchen at your home in April. The service that you booked was a flat fee service to help you lay out the IKEA kitchen cabinets at $250 for 4 hours of in-home consultation. As you were made aware from pre- appointment communication, as per the outlines of your selected service our Planner does not pick the countertop material for you and all material-selection decisions are required to be made prior to the appointment. When it was indicated during your appointment that you preferred a 15” deep island our planner reminded you that you would be required to select a countertop at your leisure either at IKEA or through a different supplier, and would be able to confirm selection/pricing at that point . A technical detail stating that the 15” deep countertop does not exist as a pre-cut material at IKEA was provided to you at that time, along with paperwork noting: “Customer to finalize countertop selection”. Unfortunately, the material that was purchased in store was not suitable for the surface it was intended to cover. This incorrect material then arrived to the job site where our installers brought this to your attention. At that time it was then made clear to our team that you would instead like it to be cut for another portion of the kitchen (not the area in question), and our installers proceeded as per your work order. Later in the day you stated your final decision not to use the piece after all, but as the material was already opened and cut it was deemed unable to be returned to the supplier. In good faith, and to alleviate the frustration that you were experiencing, our office offered to cover the cost on your behalf.

Panel material:
At the conclusion of your original kitchen planning appointment, our IKEA specialist provided you with a final confirmed and completed layout saved into your personal online IKEA account, along with the appropriate paperwork.. However, at some point between the conclusion of your planning appointment and the day of purchasing materials at IKEA, your original completed layout was logged in to and changed from our Planner’s recommended final state. This resulted in the original material list compiled by our planner to now be inaccurate, as we were not aware of the design changes which now required an additional panel to reflect the changes made. Of course, there was no way for us to know that revisions had been made, and our installation team was faced with an incomplete order for installation. We immediately proceeded to order it and deliver it from IKEA in your behalf, however it was unfortunately not in stock at your local IKEA store on that day.

Fridge:
In instances like this there is unfortunately no way to know how or when the dent occurred, so instead of pointing fingers we decided to offer you compensation for half of the amount of the fridge dent fix/ new door cost.

Other:
It was clearly stated that you refused to pay our installation team for their full day of work if they would not provide free removal of all materials packaging. In an effort to make the best of a stressful situation, our office agreed to provide this service complimentary, although it is usually offered at the time of booking as a separate fee/service.

We understand well how complex a kitchen renovation is, and this is why we make such an effort to provide clearly outlined and detailed instructions in all our verbal and written communication prior to booking services. This has been put in place to ensure a smooth workflow, but unfortunately this documentation is sometimes ignored and/or labeled redundant, and this is often when challenges/issues surface and sometime cause the scheduled work from proceeding as planned. Unfortunately, instructions were not followed in this case, our cabinet layout was changed without letting us know and our installation team was faced with a surprising new layout and improper material on-site.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to present the facts related to this job.
Please enjoy your IKEA kitchen, as it is an amazing product and will serve you well for decades to come.

ShelleyJ in Calgary
ShelleyJ in Calgary

Kitchen Renovation

My kitchen renovation went very well! The staff at Modus make this project quick and easy. They are extremely professional, friendly and helpful. The designer ensured that I got a kitchen that would not just look great, but be functional as well. Kim, the Office Coordinator ensure everything went smoothly and is a valuable asset to the company! The installation crew were an amazing team who worked together putting my amazing kitchen together in one day. Thank you Modus for a job well done. I'd highly recommend you to anyone!

Lynn in Calgary
Lynn in Calgary

Kitchen Renovation

I loved working with Modus. I really had no idea what I was doing when it came to renovating my kitchen but they were amazing at helping me figure out all the steps and what order I needed to do them in. The demolition and installion went well. Everyone was on time, polite, and careful with the walls and flooring. I used their recommendations for the countertop and received excellent service. I used their recommended plumber and was not happy with the results. I was also disappointed with Modus’s response to Plumbing situation.

Review has 1 previous version
Braeside Resident in Calgary
Braeside Resident in Calgary

Kitchen Renovation in Calgary

(Please note that above cost is for entire renovation...not just the Modus part.) We used Modus for a complete kitchen renovation. We used a combination of our own electrian, demolision, countertop installers and painters, their cabinetry installation people, their plumber partner, their demolition and repair partner and their tiling partner. The quality of work and professionalism from their people and their partners was exceptional. Our cabinets look custom...and they're IKEA. (Our space is small and presented design and install challenges). They really know what theyr'e doing.

The shining star in this two month long endeavor has to be Kim at Modus. She helped me general contract/project manager the entire thing....coordinating her people and helping me so that I could coordinate mine. I couldn't have done it without her. She was so organized and responsive.

Fantastic! That's the point: don't spend a fortune and get top notch look and product.....and still have money left over for enjoying life :) IKEA cabinets are durable, versatile, use top of the line hardware ad can easily be mistaken for custom cabinetry. In fact, often custom makers use IKEA hardware. We are so happy that you are satisfied with the result and also that you enjoyed working with our team and with Kim. Thank you for working with us.

Velma
Velma
1 review Vancouver, BC

Kitchen and living room renovation

Very hard working and very knowledgeable about the process. I hope to hire them for master bath reno

Private User reviews Brampton, ON

Great Work

Kim was absolutely fantastic. I completely demolished my kitchen, living room and dining room in the biggest renovation project I have ever done. Kim was extremely knowledgeable when it came to what should be done first when it came to the kitchen, and she was extremely good at keeping me informed of new developments at all times. She definitely made my life a lot easier, and she should be commended for her awesome work.

Because of Kim, I would definitely recommend using MODUS again in the future and have already recommended you to various friends and family.

Thank you! We saw the photo you sent of the final product and it looks stunning! he cabinetry, the finishes you chose, from tiles, light fixtures and floor... magazine-worthy. We are grateful to you for taking the time to write us an email and to reach out with accolades about Kim. She is certainly one of the good ones :) Please enjoy the kitchen for many years to come. All the best!

More about Modus Enterprises

Modus Enterprises is an independent company, locally owned and operated out of Vancouver, BC, with an office in Calgary, Alberta. Since 1998, a significant focus of our business has been providing certified installations of IKEA kitchens. For the last decade we have coordinated commercial & residential renovation projects with exemplary results. Our adept time management skills & foresight in the role of general contractor & project manager have earned us a portfolio of well-executed renovation projects. We also offer Kitchen planning services and as of several years ago, we have expanded to create focus for our design team to become distinguished as interior design + space planning specialists. Our company can provide full service of project management & contracting for kitchen cabinet installation, floor installation, kitchen design, interior design, and renovation. To see examples of some of our cabinet installation work in person, please visit a showroom at the Richmond or Coquitlam IKEA stores.