We tried to go with a local, family owned company but can honestly say we regret every second of it.
They sent service techs (not installers) that were inexperienced to install a gas line - They never tested the gas line to ensure there were no leaks yet the invoice states "no gas leaks detected" House wreaked like gas and was leaking gas for 24 hrs!!
We had to have Enbridge Emergency come out which resulted in our furnace being red tagged. Enbridge would not believe that the company had left our house without testing to ensure there were no leaks.
Called the on-call emergency line and explained the situation.
The guy responds by saying " OK, I am on my way. Can you please call the company tomorrow and tell them what happened. People just cant keep getting away with this" What does that mean? When he arrived he told me this was the THIRD call for those two technicians - this week!!!! We are clearly not the only ones who have been affected. He was also the one to inform me that the two guys listed on my work order were only service techs not install techs so he was very confused as to WHY they were even assigned the job. Real nice.
Tried dealing with the owner, Duane but he handled this situation very poorly and unprofessionally.
Dealing with natural gas is no joke and should be taken seriously. This incident could have ended way worse than it did. I worry for my own safety as well as the safety of others. Who knows how many houses these two technicians have been at recently. If you see Jordan/Craig on your invoice I suggest calling another company to come validate their work.
DO NOT HIRE THIS COMPANY !!! See BBB review for details on what happened - you will be SHOCKED.