Belfor Restoration Services

Fire & Water Damage Restoration
6-640 42 Avenue NE Calgary AB T2E
HomeStars  >  Fire & Water Damage Restoration in Calgary  >  Belfor Restoration Services

Reviews for Belfor Restoration Services

John Booth in Calgary
John Booth in Calgary

Asbestos Removal, Drywall Replacement and Skylights removal

Insurance Company hired Belfor after I had water damage from leaking skylights. Discussed Asbestos during the consultation and then was provided two quotes. One for the insurance claim and the other a private to remove the skylights. Took several weeks to get an explanation on the quotes from the project manager and during the explanation noticed they had quoted for a larger surface area then was required.

After Asbestos removal they could not be bothered to communicate on when we could return to house or even respond to in a timely fashion. After I had called and emailed multiple times during business hours. The afterhours support contact was not of any help wither. Had to get the insurance company to contact them four days later.

Did a poor job on the Asbestos removal and the re-framing of the sky light openings. They did such a poor job of scrapping of stipple (which had the Asbestos in it) off the ceiling and it took the new contractor longer to repair. They also did not remove all of the black mold after multiple conversations saying they would. Did not clean up after themselves or remove any of the non-contaminated waste.

After continued delays, to complete the next portion of job even , I had them removed from the job. They did not even come back to clean up or return my front door key, which was in a lock box. I eventually found a random Belfor employee to come and unlock the box for me. Took approximately 6 weeks for that.

To sum up poor at communication, poor at project management, and terrible at doing repairs.

Will never recommend this company to anyone.

Kevin in Boston
Kevin in Boston
1 review Montreal East, QC

Complete Home Build

When my house burned down in 2012, I turned to Belfor for the construction based on their size and relationships with insurance carriers. The rebuild turned out to be a horror show. When all was said and done I was bankrupt and tried to give the partially constructed house to the bank. That's when Belfor slapped a lien on the property, even though they would've received an additional $100K+ for the 90% inspection. Now they are taking me to court for $225K. Terrible.

1 review Duncan, BC

asbestos removal and drywall replacement

Like others, insurance hired belfor to replace the drywall after some plumbing let go in our storage room. Initially, the asbestos removal took over a week, which is understandable because of the scope of the job. After they completed the asbestos removal, we didn't hear from the company for a week about when they were going to start installing the drywall, it's now been two weeks for two small sections of wall and a small section of the roof, and the job is still not done.

On top of the slowness, we had issues with employees trying to enter rooms they had no business being in in the first place, and all of our tools have been in storage for almost a month now, because they are taking so long to finish this job. Not to mention some of the employees smelling so strongly of cigarette smoke that it's permeated our downstairs when they're in the storage room.

Will never recommend this company to anyone.

Avoid

Poor customer service and complete disregard for the satisfaction of the home owner. Unprofessional crews caused damage to personal property and refused to take responsibility. Simply left damaged property hoping the owner would not notice. Additional cost incurred at owners expense as result of direct actions of the company and refusal to assist.

Rob in San Francisco
Rob in San Francisco
1 review Hamilton, ON

House flooded

Our home flooded in December 2014. We hired Belfor and what a mistake! They charged for things they never did, over inflated their hours, used unskilled temp agency labor and charged licenced contractor rates did poor work, and until they found out our insurance company would only pay them half of what they wanted, were nice as can be. After that they were rude as heck! Then they slapped a lein on our property for $82,000!!! 2yrs and 15grand later in attorney Great (ours) we had to settle and pay them $43,000!! PLEASE!! DO NOT USE BELFOR!!! Our whole world has changed because of these jerks!!!

Mike in Powell
Mike in Powell
1 review Burnaby, BC

Water damage

Insurance hired Belfor to complete water damage in 2nd, 1st and basement floors. Damage happened Sept 22. Today is Dec 14. The work is just now "complete." Several holes were left in drywall by the contractors. I agreed to fix holes, replace toilet and trim if money would be taken off bill. No word 2 weeks later on where head contractor is. No refund. My estimate is 4-5 thousand over charged. Not professional or timely unless it is to collect your money.

Gary Perkins in Calgary
Gary Perkins in Calgary

Insured Damage for broken drain pipe

We had water in our basement. Intact insurance sent Belfor and that's when the nightmare began. A drain pipe in the wall broke and they did not find it, so the water kept flooding. I had to find the break myself and show it to them. It was a week before they sent anyone to do restoration work. Two workers spent two hours in my house, and then left when the insurance company said they would not pay for the work. So I asked Belfor to remove the rest of the damaged material. I took a day off work to let their workers in and nobody showed up. It was three weeks before Belfor agreed to send workers again. I took another day off work, the workers showed for 30 minutes and then left "to get supplies from the warehouse." They never came back or called. I fired Belfor, one month after the water break, at which point they had done only two hours of restoration work in my house. Then they sent us a bill for $1600. When we didn't pay it, they sicked a bill collector on my wife, calling her at work multiple times. Then they sued us in small claims court for the $1600. DON'T LET BELFOR ON YOUR PROPERTY.

1 review Duncan, BC

Kitchen Reno

Took them 2 and half months to do a 3 week job. On top of the that they were disrespectful, rude and unpleasant people. I didnt enjoy them in or around my house, the project manager dodged our calls and never returned them. They completely warped and installed our cabinets wrong, the project manager has completely ignored this and hasn't done anything to fix it. We ended up fixing the problem ourselves.

Peter in Calgary
Peter in Calgary

poor work, worse customer service

Belfor was hired by my insurance company to repair a wall that had been hit by an impaired driver. The wall had been standing for thirty years prior to the accident and looked as solid as the day it was made but for the chunks that had been knocked out by the car. Belfor employees showed up and talked a great game. Told me how they were going to fix the wall. They took down a good ten feet of wall on either side of the impact point. Charged the insurance company almost twenty grand. Less than two months later the wall was separating at the corners. Almost a year later Belfor’s solution? Paint over the problem. The wall looks far worse than the prior wall which had been hit by a car! And they want to paint over their poor workmanship.

Now that I’ve done some research I realize Belfor has such bad reviews I would not have independently hired them. Lesson number two, don’t assume insurance companies know anything about quality contractors. Lesson number one? Way away from Belfor.

AL in Vancouver
AL in Vancouver
1 review Vancouver, BC

Basement Flooding: Horrible management, service, and work. The absolute worst.

Four months ago our pipes broke and flooded our basement with almost 4'' of water. Belfor was the company that was working for our insurance company, and they came right away to come remove the damaged items from the basement. Straight off the bat, we should have been notified of all the items that were removed from the site and double checked with us as they left so we knew what items to claim and report to our insurance company. They did no such thing. They removed everything right away with no updates and packed everything in their truck and left. E

verything ensued for the next 2 weeks, they came to tear down the damaged walls and replaced and painted new ones. Throughout this time, we consistently asked for the list of removed items but they either ignored our calls, never got back to us or said yes but never sent them.

When the project manager came to check on the progress of the basement, we once again asked him for the list of removed and damaged items- in which he so intently made notes on in his notebook. In addition to that, we also gave him a deadline as we were leaving for vacation for 2 weeks and would prefer the basement to be finished by then. Please note that the deadline we gave him allowed for a months time, which i think is more than fair. After the discussion, the project manager agreed and noted our deadline and reassured us that he would get his receptionist to send us the list.

A couple weeks went by, no list, no updates and no news. Except for the guys who came to replace our kitchen cabinets. Not only were we never asked to pick a color for it, the replaced counters were damaged and chipped. They didn't even bother letting us know until we took pictures and asked them to look at it...in which they just said "Oh, yeah...we'll let our boss know". Ok, whatever. A chip in the corner, it's not a huge deal. The nightmare ensues.

We meet with the flooring company to choose the colors we want for each room. Their objective was just to replace what was removed and restore everything to the way it was, no matter how we installed it initially, their goal was just to put in the flooring as it was...but a month goes by and there is no one is working in the basement, we call the project manager and no one picks up, we leave a message on his voice mail and with his receptionist, and still no response. However, a man from the flooring company finally comes to work, but the work and the materials were cheap and terribly done...we called the flooring company and they said they would take a look, and if it was their fault, they would replace and order a new shipment.

When we finally get a call back from the project manager, it's already a couple days before we leave for our vacation, the project manager then informs us that they flooring company will not and is not "comfortable" with putting the flooring down without leveling first...this "leveling" by the way, is not coming out of their pocket, it's ours. Who knew we'd still need to pay extra after paying so much for insurance? Anyway, we then had to put the project on hold as we couldn't deal with it considering we were leaving the country.

When we return, this drama continues. A back and fourth battle as to who, what and how to finish the flooring. All we ask is that the floor be put in the way it was before- no leveling, just flooring. It's now been 4 months and our basement is still in shambles, they wont do anything unless we pay for the leveling which we shouldn't have to. So far, we've had beg and plead for them to do the flooring in the bedrooms without leveling, which they agreed to, but will not give us a warranty. However they still wont do the dining and living room and has now suggested us to A. pay for the leveling or B. Have them leave the materials and have us find another flooring company to finish it. This is absolutely laughable. We didn't pay for insurance to have ourselves fix our own basement in the end.

This project is still unresolved, and the last thing the project manager said to me was "our hands are tied" and left the conversation at that. We will be contacting our insurance company directly and continue from there.