Mckinnon Heating Cooling

Reviews for Mckinnon Heating Cooling

FairHonest in North York
FairHonest in North York

Terrible Customer Service

“The fish rots from the head down” and Mckinnon’s hugely disappointing approach to customers and customer service starts and ends with its president. In our case, he behaved in an extremely rude, abrupt, almost vindictive manner and with no explanation, refused service to us in a time of need. Thirty-one days after an extended visit by Mckinnon to service our tankless water heater we were once again without hot water. A very thoughtful technician came out and assessed the situation and told us more work and parts were needed. He himself suggested the owner speak to us about the charge for the visit given the proximity to our previous visit and the upcoming work required. The owner called days later taking a very aggressive, rude, condescending tone. When asked he refused to explain. Just dropped us cold - as in with cold water. He said he wanted nothing to do with us. No reason offered. Terrible experience.
PLEASE NOTE: I offered to pay the technician on the call. The charge was approximately $200 but he recommended I speak to the owner first given more work was coming and they had just been there a few weeks earlier. The price noted above was for the previous visit.

****REPLY TO REPLY****: The owner's note is misleading at best, outright fabrication at its worst.
(a) I offered to pay. The technician recommended given the circumstances that the owner call me as you'll see in his note attached. My conversation with the tech was extremely pleasant. I offered him my credit card number and he instead wrote the attached work order note. (b) When owner Michael learned who built our home (new house 2 years old) Michael said some very nasty things about his work (he's wrong about that too). This was unprofessional and unpleasant.
(c) What is not perplexing at all is I am (was) a customer in need let down by a service provider and I am only taking the time to write this review because I felt it was important for readers to know that my experience of Michael's approach to customer service was extremely negative and worse than that as evidenced by his note, Michael doesn't care. He would rather get back at me and try to prove himself right than try to correct the situation. Again, blatantly unprofessional.
In future, please consider being fair and a little less condescending with clients and you won't need to worry about your reputation.

Thank You Sheldon for your review. Sadly, Sheldon's story is a very typical one whereby contractors install equipment and choose not to service the client post-installation. We, on the other hand, try our very best to provide warranty service for equipment installed by others and often, with no appreciation. In this instance, the client contacted us to repair a Navien combination boiler/water heater that was installed by a contractor who was not interested in servicing the client (probably for a very good reason). Nevertheless, we replaced a part under warranty in August and recommended that the equipment be flushed/maintained. The client chose not to take our advice and low and behold, one month later, there were issues once again. This time on a Saturday, we attended and the client chose to not pay us for the service call. Despite this, we ordered the required parts, under warranty, delivered them to the client's home, advising that it would be best to find another contractor.

It is perplexing to me that homeowners can take advantage of contractors who do their best to take care of them and when not paid, use this forum to attempt to damage their reputation.

Alison C.
Alison C.

Tankless water heater

We own a townhouse condo in Toronto and were renting a combination boiler/water heater from Enercare when it broke and we decided to purchase our own tankless water heater, rather than continue renting. Michael at Mckinnon Heating Cooling was recommended to us by a neighbour. We sourced a couple of quotes from different companies and not only was Michael's by far the most competitive, he was also the most familiar with our type of condo units, which were built in the 90s and have a bit of an odd layout. We were very impressed by how quickly Michael came by to give us a quote. He was friendly, professional and answered all of our questions - we are first time home buyers so we had a lot of questions! Rogelio Santana and his colleague who came by to do the actual installation were also incredibly hard working, friendly and really went above an beyond for us. All in all, we are very happy with our experience and would recommend Mckinnon Heating Cooling to anyone else in our situation.

Thank You Alison for your review. We appreciate your complimentary words.

Eric in Toronto
Eric in Toronto

Install central A/C in townhouse complex

I found out my A/C wouldn't cool during the first heat wave of the year. Called two highly-rated Homestar companies; one wasn't answering their phone, the other was too busy to consider servicing outside their usual area. A third company down the road didn't even bother to follow up with a quote after asking me to send photos. I eventually found my way to Mckinnon through a neighbour's referral. Michael, the owner of Mckinnon, provided a quote within hours and I had an appointment soon after. It took three guys seven hours to complete the somewhat unusual work -- we're in a townhouse with the unit suspended eight feet on a bracket in the parking garage. I didn't interact much with the crew but they seemed professional and considerate (e.g. removing their shoes and not leaving any mess). Very pleased with my interactions and outcome.

Thank You Eric for the review. You were very understanding that we needed to reschedule the original installation date and we appreciated your cooperation and flexibility. We hope you enjoy your new air conditioning system and thank you very much for your business.

Mary in Toronto
Mary in Toronto

Tankless Water Heater

I want to Thank Michael for the expertise and advise regarding our Rinnai tankless water heater replacement. The crew was very professional, knowledgeable and resourceful during the installation. The job was completed efficiently and effectively. Hamid is a talented problem solver. Looking forward to doing business for future needs. Will highly recommend to family and friends. Thank you McKinnon Heating & Cooling. Mary A.

john in Toronto
john in Toronto

Space and water heater replacement

Thank you, Michael.
The work at -------- meant a fourteen hour day yesterday, both for myself and for your team of installers.
They are a fine group of hard-working fellows: polite, careful, thorough, and very neat in their work. Their task was certainly not made any easier by being five flights above street level !!!
I appreciated the thoroughness of your work in quoting the job with all options, and in answering my follow-up questions. This helped me enormously in arriving at my decision.
Your own efforts, and those of your team, are all much appreciated.
With very best wishes,
John Le Forestier, Toronto.

Indirect Water Heater Replacement

Mckinnon did a fabulous job for us. Best price, fantastic and fast service.
I called them at 9:00 at night and a team was at our house with a new heater at 9:000 the following morning. The installers were polite, hard working and cleaned up after. I highly recommend them.

Ray
Ray

Steam Humidifier install into a High velocity Furnace

I am one super happy customer!
Long story short, after being repeatedly strung along like a piece of dirt by a much bigger HVAC company, which I won't name, but I'll say they weren't "reliable" at all contrary to their name.
Michael came to my home and examined my HVAC system and took his time to explain his thoughts on getting a steam humidifier installed. There was no pressure, it was just two guys talking about HVAC systems and options and about the industry.
On installation day, Ricardo and Hamid arrived and set out to get working. What I am truly impressed by is that they took their time to make sure things were done right. They always explained what they were thinking and what they were going to do and asked me first to make sure I was okay with that route.
My home setup was challenging, because its a small stacked townhome and the mechanical room doesnt give you much to work with, but these guys made it work.
Even when they thought they might have had to drill holes into the ceiling on the floor below to get the wiring through, they knew it wasn't something I would have liked, and they figured out another option.
Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.
Thank you to the McKinnon team for everything. Within 30 mins I already can see that the humidity in my home has gone from 23% to 35%. I will never own a home without a steam humidifier again, and I know exactly who I will call to install it when I need to.

Thanks Ray for your review. The credit is to our installers who care about their work, communicate with the client and do the best work they are able.

It is our pleasure to have a client such as you, one who values sound advice and honesty from the contractor.

We hope you enjoy your more comfortable home as a result of the steam humidifier installation.

BBD in Toronto
BBD in Toronto

Installation of Heat Pumps

I thought my experience with McKinnon Heating & Cooling was very professional and efficient. The technicians were knowledgeable and respectful. I would definitely use them again and highly recommend them.

Stephanie in Scarborough
Stephanie in Scarborough

Replacement of Electrical Heater

We recently used McKinnon Heating Cooling to replace our electrical heater. Michael came in to take a look at the job within a few hours of receiving the call. He was extremely knowledgeable and helpful in providing us with options and expert advice. Initially we were unsure if we wanted to fix our broken unit or replace it. Michael did not pressure us, but instead presented us with all the options and the costs. The crew was also very professional and efficient and left the place clean after the job was completed. We would highly recommend Michael and his team to anybody who is looking for trustworthy and high quality professional services.

Excellent service on my furnace

This was supposed to be my 3rd quote on a new furnace, instead their ace technician diagnosed what others missed and now I'm happily using my original furnace! Best $180 I ever spent. On a furnace.

More about Mckinnon Heating Cooling

Since 1934, Mckinnon Heating Cooling has been servicing the home comfort needs of the Greater Toronto Area. Mckinnon services and installs furnaces, boilers, tank and tankless water heaters, indoor air quality accessories (humidifiers, air cleaners, UV lights, Heat Recovery ventilators). Mckinnon also provides annual maintenance agreements.
Looking for Heating & Air Conditioning pros in Downsview?