Initial contact through Karen seemed promising, and their quoted price was fair, but unfortunately, the company demonstrated zero professionalism or integrity. I'll use point form to keep from turning this into a book. All issues were addressed with the company in writing; their response was the equivalent of a shrug of the shoulders:
- despite having promised no additional charges in writing, they unilalaterally and without authorization put a hefty additonal charge on the credit card before they would deliver. Be forewarned that their position is that once you authorize a credit card payment to them, they can charge whatever they want to your card for 6 months.
- their website promises "room to room" service, but they stacked all the boxes in one room, leaving us to move them around before unpacking (they claimed afterwards that 'room to room' applies 'for the pickup only' - whatever that's even supposed to mean)
- they expected me to remove the blankets from the furniture and assist with moving heavy items (their office says "this is to help them" - so be aware that even though you're paying this comonay a good price to move your goods, you'll be expected to act as an unpaid assistant)
- packing was erratic - metal measuring cups were wrapped in three layers of paper; valuable soapstone carvings were tossed in boxes without being wrapped at all
- contents of desks and dressers were thrown into boxes upside down, and in general in a manner that suggested they were trying to punish us for having them do the packing. A month later, I'm still trying to sort out the mess, and several items have disappeared completely.
- a heavy oak desk was slammed into a wall hard enough to damage both the wall and the desk; the company's response was that damage like this is "in some ways expected" (just part of their service, I guess). In contrast with other movers I've dealt with, they did not bring the damage to our attention or offer to rectify it. They actually said that if I'd moved myself, I probably would have done similar damage (and while that may not be untrue, I wouldn't have had to pay myself thousands of dollars, which somewhat changes the expectations!)
- despite the fact that the move was into a senior's residence in the middle of a pandemic, the delivery driver complained about wearing a mask, had to be reminded by management, and kept taking his mask off in the suite. (Cargo Movers defended him by saying he didn't do this within 6 feet of any seniors - illustrating their lack of understanding and conveniently ignoring the fact that I'm a senior and was in the suite with the maskless driver most of the day. They also stated that because their drivers are tested twice a month, they're "completely safe".)
All in all, I could not possibly recommend this company. It doesn't matter what they promise you up front in terms of price, service, or anything else, they will likely fail to deliver, and when they do, will take no responsiblity whatsoever for those failures. They outright told me my complaints about the lack of professionalism "will definitely be disregarded" because I'm a "good person and....do not mean that" (I actually am a good person - but I totally meant every word of it!).
So if you're looking for a mover who lacks accountability, makes no pretense of keeping their promises, and will treat your home and possessions like yesterday's trash, Cargo Movers is the company for you - otherwise, look elsewhere.
- Company Response
You have made absurd claims.
Cargo Movers has charged your mothers credit card as she authorized us to do so , and your brother Bob Peltzer had it sent to us. As explained to you, we keep your information on file for 6 months and only charge if we provide a service. AS writted on our confirmation email, you do get charged for long walk/carry and or stairs fees. Your mother had a long carry fee. and your mother was charged approximately $400.00 (not including tax and CC fee). We still back our driver because, they get tested twice a month and go into isolation. They were 6 feet away from everyone and so the complaining for having to wear a mask while doing high intensity movements is valid... I am sure you wouldn't want to wear it either. As for the damages. We did not shrug shoulders, we offered our insurance policy which we offer everyone and you were made aware of this prior to booking as well. Furthermore, you even signed a contract agreeing to it. The movers always ask customers to remove the blankets. This is so that if they notice any damages, they can bring it to our attention. The crew for pickup is not the same as the crew for drop off all the time, so you would know your furniture better than anyone else in the room. If you did not like that, you could have rejected and asked them to do it. You have hired movers... not slaves. Also, it would be nice to highlight the fact that we gave you a discounted rate, as well as a seniors discount as well as discounted packing charge, picked up and dropped off on the exact times you wanted and the exact dates you wanted. Please dont be so biased with your bullshit reviews and dont take advantage of a company. A customer is not always right. Ovver the phone, you also made some comments on our drivers english ability and ethnicity which goes to say how much of a racist person you are. For anyone reading this review, if you wish to book and pay for services you have used then please do so, and we will be happy to help you with your move. But if you are looking to scam and be a freeloader like this unkind lady then please do not consider us because we have 0 bullshit tolerance for racist, liars like Lorrain Smith. Furthermore Lorrain, you have also lied about the size of your move. This was a two bedroom apartment weighing in at 4820 LBS.... NOT a one bedroom home! My response may come off as rude for those that do not know the full situation but it is as honest and can be for someone who is a liar like Lorrain... When she confronted Karen, our relocation consultant explained why she was charged and all reasons were valid and the customer had nothing to say... writing a review like this is only a sore loser move because she could not get her way! She is writing reviews on all platforms... She is a scam artist and a sore loser.