Immediately after having Rainforest open and service (we had a broken sprinkler head) our system, we were hit with a >$600 water bill. As there was no visible water in our yard, we didn't realize we had a significant leak until we received the bill. We then confirmed the sprinkler system was the source of the leak by checking our water meter daily - the instant we turned off the supply to the sprinkler, our water usage returned to normal. When Rainforest returned to investigate, they indeed found a leak in the system, but refused to admit our water bill was related!! Adding insult to injury, they emailed us more than three times to claim the cost of the repair that finally addressed the issue, even though we paid them to fix our system in the first place and they failed to do so, resulting in hundreds of dollars of water loss. This is the worst case of denial I've even seen in a company.