I hired Salvatore from Decorem Tile and Stone to replace floor tile in my kitchen and hallway. The sales rep (John) from Sarana Tile store in Vaughan recommended him as a great professional who specialized in the type of tile we were purchasing from the store.
This turned out to be the most **horrible** experience in my entire kitchen reno project in every possible aspect. I don’t even know where to start, so I’ll just list what I can:
- The entire tile installation was delayed 5 days, impacting other trades which we had to reschedule
- The reason for delay was – apparently the dry pack foundation layer was not dry enough after standing for 4 days, which happened to be the hottest days of August. So the contractor left it standing for another 2 days
- Then instead of completing laying the tile in 2 days, as he originally promised, he took 5 days to cover an area of less than a 500sqft
- The contractor was very hard to deal with, very opinionated and not listening to what he is asked
- We agreed on a 50/50 payment schedule, with 50% up front and the rest at the end of the project. He started asking for payments mid-way, while not progressing in work. He knew we were pushed on time, as our kitchen installation date was coming up. So it felt like blackmailing, threatening to not complete the work at all and jeopardize the entire project unless he got paid
- The contractor ruined our security system wiring, just ripped the wires off the doorway
- Cut a hole in entry door casing, which we had to have carpenter fix afterwards
- Worst of all the craftsmanship of the work was very poor. Unleveled floor, huge gaps around door casings, inconsistent level of the seam line with the hardwood, etc. See the pictures of some of it.
I suspect the sales rep from Sarana Tile (John) has some kind of deal with the contractor, which is why he recommends him. Very poor customer service on Sarana Tile side!