OAKVILLE ON L6M5A3

Reviews for A Mc Kenna Plumbing Of Oakville

Menezes Family  in Oakville
Menezes Family in Oakville

Horrible Company - DO NOT USE

A little bit of back story to show you how they take advantage of situations and overcharge their customers. Avoid these guys at all costs. I will never call them again, and will make sure to tell everyone I know not to use them.

Back Story - On Wednesday we had noticed that our garburator was clogging up, and thought something was stuck either in the garburator or in the pipes. I took apart the pipes from the garburator that lead into the wall and turns out the garburator is fine, and the clog is deep in the pipes. The water was draining in the pipes, but very slowly. We tried Draino to see if it would make a difference & nothing changed. I tried to use a manual auger for about 10 minutes, but that too wasn't able to make a difference. At this point, I didn't know what else to do.

My dad called "A Mckenna Plumbing" to take a look & hopefully fix our clogged kitchen sink.
He was at home initially, then left and I (his son was there to complete the service)
When they arrived, they were able to rather quickly start working since I had already taken apart the pipes, they could see the water level was draining slowly. They wanted to see where the pipes were to see if they could cut out the clogged pipes and replace it with new ones. Unfortunately due to mold in the basement, they couldn't do that.
Therefore they spent the majority of their time using a powered auger to clear the drain. All they did was place the auger down the drain and turn it on, pull it out, and continue the process unless the water started to flow down the pipes.

They spent 1 hour and 15 minutes at our house & during this time, most of it was spent using a powered auger to clear the block.

When they were finished they packed up their stuff, put the pipes back together and went into their van, sat there for about 5 mins and one of the two men came back into the house and told me that they were able to clear the drain and it was probably about 85% clear at this point. They could not provide any sort of warranty on the call, since they didn’t really replace anything, it was all just labour so they scratched out the “warranty” section. He told me the price was $749 plus tax for this call. I was surprised, but I was under the impression it was a predetermined price they had discussed with my dad. I paid it and they left. I called my dad informed him about the total and he was SHOCKED. Obviously they had not discussed the price & I didn’t know any better.

My dad called Mark Mckenna back to ask why it costed $846(with tax) for one hour and fifteen minutes of labour to use a powered auger where no parts were replaced or paid for at this visit. He said he would call the men who came to the service call and get back to us. That was on December 14th. It is now December 18th and we have not heard back from Mark about the overcharging on this service call.

We explained the situation to other plumbers/plumbing companies and also explained the work that was completed, they all said it would be in the range of $300-$600 based on the job done. At the low end they overcharged us $246 dollars, at the high end they overcharged us $546.
I have spent 30 minutes writing this review, because I hope that everyone else stay FAR FAR AWAY from this company.

If they contact my father and try to rectify this situation, I will update the post accordingly.

Sorry if you were not happy with the service, our price is and was fair. We send two people in our trucks because we have several jobs to do in one day. As far as the reviews below are concerned, you read them before you hired us. I guess at the end of the day everyone has an agenda. In today's world if you are not happy with the price and service you agreed to. You write a untrue review

Private User reviews Oakville, ON

Total lack of integrity

905-510-4965
OAKVILLE
L6M5A3

Told me we had a collapsed pipe after charging $1000+ and that floor had to be dug up.Roto Rooter fixed problem (no collapsed pipe) for $300 McKenna told me he would reverse Visa charge after video of clear pipe Now refuses to answer phone messages.In fact hangs up when I call Small claims is only action left

Sandra Daniels from Oakville
Sandra Daniels from Oakville

Knowledgeable, professional and courteous

We had water dripping through our 2nd floor ceiling from the area of the 3rd floor jacuzzi, seemingly due to a leaking cold tap. The McKenna guys explained in advance what needed to be done, and managed to remove the tiles without damaging them. Unfortunately, dripping started within the hour after they replaced the taps and left, because of a secondary issue with a cracked pipe under the jacuzzi. They returned within the hour and this time there was no alternative but to cut through the 2nd floor ceiling to find and address the issue. We appreciated the care they took, their expertise and knowledge, and the clean-up afterwards. They were very courteous and professional; we would not hesitate to recommend or call them again.

Mj in Oakville
Mj in Oakville

Bathroom faucet

The plumber charged me $200 to just diagose that the cartridge needed replacement and then quoted me another $100 to replace it. $300 to replace a cartridge is outrageous!! The prices are not reasonable at all!

Update: This company had charged me $200 saying $90 was for service call and the rest would be adjusted when they come to replace the cartridge. When I called them today to book a time because I received the replacement part the owner told me “Lady you are crazy if you think, I’ll finish the job after you gave me a bad review”. Please note the only reason I called the company again was because they OWE me $100, otherwise I would have never called them again. I told him that’s completely fine just give me the $100 back becUse you’re refusing to do the job - in response again he told me that I’m crazy! I informed him that I’m going to update my review to say you’re refusing true job or my refund and he said “If you do that, I’m going to sue you and I have a lot more money than you do!” So here I am updating my review, everything I have written are pure facts, so if you want to sue me, please go right ahead. I wish I had read other reviews below where this company did the same thing to other customers and never got involved with them in the first place.

Hi Private User,

Thanks for the review. Unfortunately our cost for two Men and a Truck is what it is. We are a small Family Run business but we still have overhead to cover. Getting quotes from Kijiji Plumbers or a Handyman who works out of his garage is not something we can or will compete with. Please keep in mind, the fact you have the cartridges for your faucet was a much cheaper option than replacing the faucets totally. The fact remains we are Professionals and people hire us because of that. Please also keep in mind our Warranty is a solid guarantee that we will stand behind. For anyone reading this review. If you are looking for the cheapest Plumber option we are not your Company. If you are looking for Competent and reliable please give us a call

Deceptive Practices

I avoided this company because of the reviews, and I called Glenn Abbey Plumbing, which was well reviewed and close to home. Who shows up at the door instead? An AMcKenna truck. They said they bought the other company. I had a deadline and regrettably, let them do the job. This is misrepresentation. In my profession, you lose your license for such practices. This is bait-and-switch. And did not set up a relationship of trust.
I asked them to fix a toilet. I have three others like it which work fine using non-OEM parts from Home Depot. To their credit, they at least humoured me by installing aftermarket parts. Whether they did this honestly is debatable, because the problem persisted and they had to install a new toilet. I am accustomed to most plumbing and HVAC contractors trying to upsell unnecessary procedures. The $90 phone estimate ballooned to $600. They completed this quickly, guaranteed it, and promised the toilet would work with aftermarket parts. I just wouldn't hire them again.

Thanks for the review. I'm sorry you feel deceived. When service calls build up we do send our Sister Company to assist with the overflow. I believe we gave you several options including not using our services. We give upfront pricing that you are not obligated to proceed with. We don't ask any customers to write reviews like many other companies do. What we do expect is that one would think twice about posting a negative review anonymously even after we have serviced you Professionally and have done a good job as you have stated.

John in Toronto
John in Toronto

Poor Customer Service

Plumbing service was good, but was expensive. They seemed to fix the problem ok. At time of service, I requested a copy of the invoice, as I was remote. It took 6 requests and many phone calls, but Mark finally did deliver. Had they provided with less prompting, I would have given a higher score. Customer service and follow thru are important too.

Sorry for the clerical error. I was our fault for the mix up

Mp in Oakville
Mp in Oakville

Expensive service call

When I made the initial call I was quoted $90 for a service call. 2 technicians did the work (very straight forward in their words) which required a total of 1/2 man hour resulting in an additional charge of $139....or $278/hour. While they did a good job, which is always expected, I will not use again as charges were excessive. When dealing with the company, be sure to get clarity as to what the hourly charge will be. This was not made clear initially.

Thanks for the review. Sorry you felt we were to expensive

The Smiths in Mississauga
The Smiths in Mississauga

Toilet repair

The guys showed up on time, and got right to work. Fixed our running toilet upstairs quickly, and gave us good advice on parts to order for a leaking tap, and to replace an older toilet in the main floor powder room. Great to deal with, helpful and customer focused!

Clarke in Oakville
Clarke in Oakville

Prompt and Professional

I needed my laundry room sink unplugged and taps replaced (we ended up also replacing pipes and the laundry tub). Very easy to deal with on the phone to set up the appointment, they came right in the 2 hour window that they gave me (I had no doubt they would given the pleasant experience I had booking the appointment), they went above and beyond, were very neat and clean and did a great job. Would highly recommend and am putting their info in my contacts in the event I need a plumber again. Thanks to A McKenna Plumbing.

benji in Oakville
benji in Oakville

service call

Rip off for 5 minutes work. Work included: shutting off main water unit, looking at cartridges for shower faucet, that I already took out ahead of time, only to tell me they don't have those parts, that I would need a new system/valve, quoted $750 minus drywall and painter. That was it, $200 for that. Found other plumbers, who didn't charge ridiculous service call fees for no work done. Found another guy about $150 cheaper including drywall and paint, and it's perfect. Will not be recommending this company, A. McKenna Plumbing Ltd.

Hi Benji,

Thanks for the review. Although it is not fair for you to slam our company like this, I will take the high road. The price quoted to you is Plumbing industry standard. We do not and will not compete with Kijiji plumbers who almost always are not licienced or insured . Most also don't offer any type of warranty that you can count on. What I will say is if your intention was to dissuade future customer from using our service you should have criticized our workmanship or our conduct. The fact that the only thing you have to complain about is $150 and you would call us Rip off Artists will speak volumes of your Character. These review sites are quickly become ing a dumping ground for customers to take unfounded shots at hard working companies. Please list your real name as we can't find a Benji in our system.

More about A Mc Kenna Plumbing Of Oakville

Hello, My name is Mark Mckenna owner of A Mckenna Plumbing Ltd. Since 2001 I have been serving Oakville and surrounding area. When I first started this business I was very worried that I would not be able to compete with the larger Franchised Plumbing Companies. Over the last 10 years we have been able to build a large loyal following of customers, most of whom I know personaly. I believe this success is largly due to the fact that we are a Family run business and all who work here share the same goals. To serve our customers with technical skill that is so hard to find these days.

I personaly answer every Plumbing call that we get to insure you get the service you require. Please feel free to call and try our services.