Rent A Son

Giving Back Award winnerGiving Back Awardwinner

Reviews for Rent A Son

City Move

My move was a breeze!

I loved how easy it was to get a quote from Amanda. My crew (Junior, Daniel and Geoffrey) were efficient and careful with all my stuff :)

Matt in Toronto
Matt in Toronto

Condo move out

Fabio, Jevon, and David took care of moving all our stuff from our condo to our new home. They were incredibly courteous and helpful and made the move very low-stress. David could have been a little gentler with the boxes clearly labelled FRAGILE, but in the end nothing was broken and so I'm not too fussed about it.

3 bedroom house move

The team was exceptionally professional and on time. They took into account special instructions regarding fragile pieces of furniture and placed items where we asked them to in the destination house. Despite a delay in collecting the keys, the movers were respectful and completed the job with care. This was our third move with Rent-a-Son and I would definitely use them again.

George in Toronto
George in Toronto

worst move ever

Original quote was 1,400.00 for 3 guys and a truck, 4 guys showed up and the guy in charge suggested I keep him. The reason I guess was so trips to Tim's would leave a guy at the house. So many breaks and time wasting, most of the time I could only see one guy working, but I was calm because of the quote. At the end there was only one guy that knew how to reassemble 2 Ikea furniture pieces while the others stood around over an hour, he could not complete it properly and I had to step in, against his ego, I was right. Aftermath is damage ridden and many missing items! Final bill over $2,800!

Final bill over $2800.00

peggy in Toronto
peggy in Toronto

Moving

I had multiple heavy boxes to move from my condo to a storage unit.
I was able to book a team quickly and easily.
The team was absolutely wonderful: professional, efficient, polite and dedicated.
It was a breeze!!

loading and packing a moving truck.

I hired 3 young men from Rent A Son to help us load furniture and pack 2 moving trucks. They sent me Julian, Rob and Mike who were just magnificent! They arrived right on time and got right to work. Julian packed the truck like a surgeon with no wasted space. Rob & Mike were so congenital. Nothing was too much to asked. Just a great bunch of guys. They made a very stressful situation very relaxing and even enjoyable. I would use them again in minute and recommend them to my friends.

Peewee in Toronto
Peewee in Toronto

Long distance move and storage

We moved from Mississauga to Ottawa, which is considered a long distance move (intra province - within the same province).
We had two major issues and a few other more minor issues.
(1) They forgot a 20 ft ladder at our house in Mississauga, which I noticed as they were driving away. I waved frantically my hands to no avail. We couldn't reach anyone at the office as it was Friday and it was 6:04 pm (the office closed at 6:00 pm). No one supplied us with the cell phone numbers for the forman or the manager of operations. We had to figure out a way to move it ourselves 500 km.
(2) Problem with the estimate for the storage:
The long distance move coordinator came to give us an estimate. She had a look at our belongings at our house, before they were stored in the garage by the house stagers. The estimate was 7 crates for the storage of our belongings at 100$/ crate/month. The first invoice we received they were charging us for 13 crates + 2 skids! I called the coordinator and she said they would try to reorganize our belongings in order to make a more efficient use of the space. Finally the best that they could do was 10 crates. Beware of the storage estimates... as they low balled ours. Of course we went with them as we thought the storage fees would be 7 crates x $100/months. Other companies better estimated our storage needs. The long distance coordinator told me that the stagers probably didn't box our belongings efficently that was why the storage required more crates.
Other little issues are:
(1) Insurance in Ontario has a 8 % tax , no GST should be charged. For the 6 months our belongings were in storage they charged HST on the insurance premium therefore we paid an extra $43.00 5% of GST.
(2)Beware when the forman comes with the inventory list at the end of the day (after the pick up and the drop off), make sure that you go around every cupboard and corner of your house, because you will be exhausted and tempted not to, but this is important. He will have you sign off the inventory sheets (we had more than 30 sheets), and affix your initials to everyone of them. Once again go around and make sure they have everything. Keep the sticker to cross check with the inventory.
They did reimburse us for broken items (we had the premium insurance), lost items and compensation for the ladder that was left behind however not including the HST of replacement items.
They were all very curtious and professional.
They might have done a better job for a move within the GTA compared to a long distance move with storage.

They arrived with 2 of their trucks, they needed to call up a third one for the move out of our house in Mississauga.

Finally we went with this company for the price and they had good ratings. But because of the storage misquoting and the ladder incident resulted in our disatisfaction with this company.

julian.d.sanchez in Toronto
julian.d.sanchez in Toronto

Move from Mississauga to Toronto

I picked Rent-A-Son after reading the reviews of a number moving companies (although ironically not on HomeStars). The entire process was great from the video chat with Rob to get a quote to the day of when Cory, Brian, and Arlie were fantastic in packing up our apartment and storage unit in Mississauga and moving it to our new place in Toronto.

They actually ended up coming in under the expected time while working efficiently and good-naturedly and were very careful with all of our belongings. I recommend them to anyone moving to make things an absolute breeze.

Studio move

We hired Rent-a-Son to manage our Studio move. Mason and Andrew were the movers assigned to our job. They were great to work with. They arrived on time, and were conscientious and respectful of our space, our belongings, and us. They made the experience pleasant, and at no time did we feel stressed out. I would highly recommend Mason and Andrew, and I would definitely use Rent-a-Son again. This is the second time we have used this company, and both times were exceptional.

Faye in Markham
Faye in Markham

Highly recommend

We recently used Rent-A-Son for our move. Our sales rep was great at answering all of our questions and came to our place to evaluate exactly how much stuff we have in order to provide an accurate quote. On the day of the move, our moving team were very punctual and got right to work. The entire team worked extremely hard and efficienly. Within minutes of them working, we were so glad that we chose to pay for movers. Everyone communicated perfectly with us and Junior was a fantastic team lead. Everyone was respectful and professional. We were very impressed.
When we arrived to our home and the moving truck came over, the guys made sure our floor and staircase was covered and took the outmost care to ask where each item was to be brought.
After everything was said and done, we did notice a small damaged area to our custom dinning room table (thankfully it's in the additional leaf that you don't see often/gets covered with a table cloth, but still). Also our son's dresser and crib got banged up a bit. Nothing major at all though and not enough to upset us and report it. The positives most definitely outweigh the tiny negative. We just kind of figured something might get dinged therefore we weren't too surprised. The guys and the company most definitely still deserve a perfect review! Well done and thank you for working so hard on our move! We will definitely be recommending this moving company to others.

More about Rent A Son

Rent-a-Son, winner of HomeStars Best Mover in Toronto for 2010, 2011 and 2014, provides insured, bonded and professional residential and commercial moving services. Based in Toronto, Ontario, we provide local, provincial and long distance moving nationally, cross border and internationally.

Rent-a-Son is an agent of northAmerican van lines and is a certified member of the Canadian Association of Movers.

We also offer storage and warehousing out of our Toronto location where we have 25,000 sq ft of temperature controlled, alarmed and video monitored space.