Prostar Plumbing Heating & Drains Inc.

Plumbing
Calgary AB T3H 3C8
Plumbing
Prostar Plumbing Heating & Drains Inc.

Reviews for Prostar Plumbing Heating & Drains Inc.

Leah in Calgary
Leah in Calgary

Consumers Beware

**Prospective customers make sure to do your due diligence FIRST!**
Summary: do your research, and question EVERYTHING before you sign ANYTHING. Get second opinions if you can. Here’s the facts:
-Saturday morning we noticed our furnace was blowing cold air and the fans not turning off, nor was it keeping to the set temperature, and Prostar came up first in my google search for 'Calgary furnace repair' so I called and got Brian (who I've come to understand is the owner); who sent out Andrew. Nice enough guys.
-I was told of the $69.95 call fee, and no overtime rates.
-Andrew spent 15 minutes with our furnace, pulled out his scope/camera to take a look at the heat exchanger and told us it was cracked in several places (showed us an image on the video feed and explained what we were looking at was a crack - we believed him) and had a pen-sized hole, (we believed him).
-He quoted us on a furnace replacement, gave us 4 options starting at $5,200, and highest of $7,600. And that it wasn't cost effective to replace the heat exchanger compared to just going with a new furnace.
-Told us that he could have the furnace condemned if we didn't leave promise to leave it turned off.
-He filled out the bill, charged us $369 to use the camera, gave us a $50 discount, and said if we purchased a new furnace through them we'd also get 50% off this particular service bill, and it would be installed within 24-hours of ordering it - very appealing!!). I signed off trusting his professional opinion and gave my credit card number.
-All of this information was relayed to the landlord, who opted to get a second opinion as he felt the replacement prices were quite high.
-The second company came out on Monday to take a quick look the furnace's location and do measurements, they also noted the serial & model number. Called that evening to let us know that the heat exchanger was actually still on warranty because the furnace is only 10 years old.
-Came back at 5pm to remove the faulty heat exchanger to send back to manufacturer to get the replacement, only to find that there was not one crack - anywhere. It's in pristine shape. Also no pen-sized holes.
-Turns out the only issue was a dirty heat sensor, which he cleaned and the furnace is back to working perfectly.
-I called Brian today to express my concerns over 1) the misdiagnosis, 2) the qualifications of Andrew who saw these non-existent cracks 3) the amount we were required to pay for this service, and 4) had our landlord not requested a second opinion and purchased a new furnace the total of all of this would have been at minimum $5,500 - for a dirty heat sensor.
-He apologized for the misdiagnosis (I appreciate that Brian), he said what we experienced is not how he runs his company (also appreciate the acknowledgement of bad service); I had said I was happy to pay the call fee but not the diagnostic fee as it was false, he said he would speak with Andrew and call me back. He and the other owner(s) committed to refunding us the $69.95 call fee, but not the diagnostic fee because Andrew did have to use the camera (sidebar: apparently 10 minutes on the camera costs $369, even if it's an incorrect diagnosis).
*also noteworthy, I was told that it is not their job to find out if there's warranty in place; and that this is why they don't like getting involved with landlord/tenant situations because another company will come in and rip their work apart. Well, a bad service speaks for itself. (And when my husband asked Brian today if Andrew was a certified journeyman and was qualified to diagnose furnace problems, Brian stated that perhaps my husband wasn’t qualified to be a tenant.)
SO. All of this to say, again, buyer beware. Do your research, and question EVERYTHING before you sign ANYTHING. Get second opinions if you can. I feel it's unfortunate that we all need to be specialists in every field to prevent being duped by the apparent specialists.

Diamondssnpr in Calgary
Diamondssnpr in Calgary

Furnace install

Great job done by Brian from Prostar we had our furnace replaced as it was 27 years old, he provided me with multiple options, did the work, and you wouldnt even know he was in my home, thanks to you and your Helper Immar.

Steve in
Steve in

These guys should wear a mask

These guys charges are ludicrous. I needed to have the water supply line to my dishwasher replaced due to a leak, the shut off valve to the hot water tank replaced as it did not shut off and a new shut off valve installed in the plastic line that goes to the dishwasher as one did not exist. The work was performed satisfactorily but I feel I was raped when charged. I was charged $289 to replace the shut off valve going into the hot water tank. Maybe a $25 valve and at most 30 minutes work. I was charged $169 to install a new shut off valve in the plastic line. Maybe a $25 valve and 4 minutes work to cut the line, install the valve and crimp it. Here's the worst one. I was charged another $169 to replace the braided water supply line to the dishwasher. $20 line and 4 minutes work to unscrew the old one and screw the new one on. Then I was charged (hold on) $124 just to pull the dishwasher out of the cabinet! So in reality I'm charged $293 to change out a braided water line! Then of coarse there's the $70 service charge and $8.95 shop supplies! Wasn't I raped hard enough already? The work was fine but the charges are crazy. I phoned to talk to the manager about these rates but of coarse he never returned my call. Run away from these guys.

Joanne
Joanne

Installation of new furnace

Furnace quit working in early evening. I called ProStar and had a response from Brian within 10 minutes. He and his partner were at my home within an hour ... after finishing another job. It was about 7:00 p.m. We made arrangements for them to return the next day. They were on time, furnace installed as promised. Entire procedure smooth as clock-work. Cannot say enough good things about this company. Great from start to finish. Would recommend HIGHLY to anyone need this service!

H Powell in Calgary
H Powell in Calgary

Plumbing Emergency

An emergency plumbing issue occurred at our house and being new to town i had no idea who to call. A neighbour suggested we call the guys at Prostar Plumbing and i am sure glad we did. They arrived and quickly diagnosed the problem giving us different options on how to proceed. The issue was resolved and now they are my plumbers. Would recommend to others.

Rhonda waxman in Calgary
Rhonda waxman in Calgary

Furnace fix

When my furnace went out I needed it repaired
Quickly as it was very cold outside, Not having
Much experience with service people I had no idea who to call, my neighbour gave me your
Number and I am sure glad he did. Brian came
Over and fixed it right away, he was very reassuring and I would not hesitate to call you
Guys again

R johnson in Calgary
R johnson in Calgary

Furnace repair

Called Prostar in to look at an issue with my furnace, They promptly
sent over a Tech by the name of brian who quickly diagnosed the problem and laid out some different options for the repair. Just thought i would let you know that this young man is absolutely
amazing, He let me watch the whole job and explained everything
as he was going along. He showed both patience and a great attitude. a definite asset to your company. I will most certainly
recommend Brian and Prostar.

Looking for Plumbing pros in Calgary?