Stanley was recommended to us by a friend. He is a general contractor but we only hired him to paint our entire house and put up wallpaper on one wall. Stanley is very meticulous and particular about the way he paints. The quality of his work is definitely top notch. But that's not the only thing that makes a good contractor. Here's what we disliked:
- One of his team members spilled a large amount of paint on our carpet and didn't say anything until I saw it. Stanley tried to clean it out with a bit of luck, but there is now a permanent stain.
- There were other small random paint spills on the carpet. These were not as big a deal, but they should have been more careful or covered the carpet better.
- Stanley is very poor with time management. They took long lunch breaks. It turns out they would go to another job, do work there, and come back a few hours later. If they focused more, they could have easily finished the job in 3 days. But they worked a few hours here and there, and it felt like they were here way too long.
- Stanley has very poor customer service. He promised to come at noon one day, so we rearranged our plans to wait for him. He didn't show up until 5pm and didn't have the courtesy to call us to let us know. I tried calling his cell but it went straight to voicemail. When he showed up, he had no excuse for why he was late.
- English is not Stanley's first language, and we sometimes found that to be a barrier in communicating with him.
Overall, we liked his workmanship, but the cons far outweigh the pros. Therefore, we would not hire him again and would not recommend him to our friends.