The Underpinners Inc

Reviews for The Underpinners Inc

moredarc in Toronto
moredarc in Toronto

Underpinning Semi-Detached Basement in the Beaches

We reached out to Daniel for a quote to underpin our basement in 2017. We were debating whether or not to start our home renovations in the basement or on the main floor. Daniel stopped by and ended up sitting with us for over 3 hours. He was personable and you could clearly see that he cared about his business. We did not end up underpinning our home just then; however, when we were finally ready in 2019 there was only really one company we wanted to work with. The Underpinners Inc is a fantastic business that clearly knows what they're doing. Our newly underpinned home was done perfectly and we have continuously gotten thumbs up from every one who has seen it, including contractors, who say that it was a great job. We are so happy that we went with The Underpinners Inc. From dealing with Daniel, Stephen, and all of the workers, it was an absolute pleasure.

Julia in TO in Toronto
Julia in TO in Toronto

Major Reno on a Narrow Lot

The quality of work and level of commitment to project timeline demonstrated by The Underpinners Inc. were uncompromising. There is business integrity and professionalism to this highly specialized and intricate work that they do. As well, working with such tight lot, the crew were respectful to the adjacent properties, which is important to us in maintaining good relationship with our neighbours. We will most definitely work with Daniel and Stephen again, as their passion is infectious and refreshing.
We highly recommend this contractor.

Private User reviews Edmonton, AB

Very Pleased With Complex Underpinning Project

We had the excellent experience of partnering with The Underpinners to handle our complex underpinning project. At a high-level, our project involved building a liner wall on two of our existing foundation walls, underpinning our existing basement, tunnelling into our crawlspace, and building a proper foundation under a room that was built on a concrete pad. At the end of our project, we had a clear 8’2 basement that now runs the length of our home.

We began the process by interviewing several underpinning specialists. However, it was clear that Daniel had the knowledge and experience that our project required. Equally impressive was the fact that Daniel and Stephen did not shy away from the complexity of our project or the fact that our home had some logistical issues as a result of access limitations, including being located on very narrow one-way street.

In the course of our project, we relied on and were impressed with Daniel and Stephen’s network of specialists and trades, including bin logistics, structural engineering, geo-technical engineering and plumbing.

As with most large-scale construction projects, there were a few surprises that could not have been anticipated at the start of the project (for example, the need for helical piles as a result of an isolated area with soft soil conditions). However, in each instance, Stephen would inform us of the issue, provide us with a list of options on how to proceed, and ultimately implement our decision promptly.

The crew that was assigned to our project were very professional: arriving on time, respectful of our home, and always considerate of our neighbours. Our project finished on time, on budget, and according to our structural plans.

Finally, one of the most positive things about working with Daniel and Stephen is how responsive they both are. Personally, we knew that we would want to partner with someone who would be available to answer our questions and any concerns. Daniel and Stephen more than delivered in this respect.

We would not hesitate to recommend The Underpinners for any underpinning or structural foundation work. They are experienced, committed, responsive and knowledgeable – all things that you want with the people to whom you trust your home.

Leslieville Homeowner
Leslieville Homeowner
2 reviews Moncton, NB

Complex Basement Underpinning

This was a 2+ feet basement underpinning. I cannot say enough good things about Daniel and Stephen and the rest of their crew. This was a technically complex and difficult job due to a number of annoying factors. The guys took charge from the beginning and organized the architect, the engineer, and invested a lot of time into the planning stage. What I loved about them:

Most important, quality of the work. The job was done perfectly and on schedule. I love my new beautiful 8' basement.

Knowledge: they know their stuff. There were issues they spotted and explained that others did not even see. I felt confident in them from the first meeting right up until the end.

Communication: they are extremely quick to respond to questions, usually within minutes. Very friendly and wanting to help. They keep you apprised at every step of what's happening so you're not wondering. They're also completely straight up and forthcoming with never a touch of dishonesty which I have had with almost every contractor I ever hired.

Professionalism: the whole crew was professional. The boss is almost always on site, not just sending a crew of labourers in. They were clean, and left the site in good shape every day. They were respectful of my neighbours, and went so far as to communicate with them directly when they had (unreasonable) concerns.

Again, I cannot say enough good things. Theirs was not the cheapest quote, but also not the highest, and I have heard horror stories from underpinning companies, even ones with high ratings on this site. I have complete confidence in them and I'd recommend the Underpinners in a heartbeat.

Mark  in Old Toronto
Mark in Old Toronto

Underpinning Project

Daniel, Stephen and their crew were incredible. Underpinning is a big job! I quoted 4 people for the job and Daniel had a fair price and gave me the most confidence (by a LONG WAY). They executed with a ton of professionalism but more importantly they were really respectful of us and our neighbours. They had all the required safety gear on site, they brought their own on-site toilet and they CLEANED THE FLOORS WHEN THEY LEFT. Really above and beyond! “

Justin in Richmond Hill
Justin in Richmond Hill
1 review Richmond Hill, ON

The ONLY underpinners to use!

We initially hired the Underpinners to carry out a 3’ underpinning and a rear addition in the Yonge and Eglington area. Very soon into the project, we realized that the current house (actually the whole block) was sitting on an old creek that was infilled by the city over 100 years ago. The house had experienced settlement over the years which resulted in severe cracking in the walls. The Underpinners brought a wealth of knowledge to the table from prior experienced and dealt with both the soil engineers and structural engineers to come up with a bulletproof design which would not only increase the integrity of the structure but prevent further settlement from occurring. The underpinning changed from 3’ to 7’ in order to find solid ground. They also reinforced the existing foundations significantly to prevent any further movement. Between the addition, underpinning and reinforcing of the wall, the experience was pretty seamless. His team is educated, professional and pleasant to deal with. The site was left clean and secure at the end of each day and I would receive updates on a weekly basis so I could plan for the next trade. Although the budget increased due to the increase in scope as a result of the unknown subsurface conditions the extra pricing was extremely fair for the work that they had to put in. As a builder and project manager I would be hard-pressed to find someone like Daniel and his team to carry out such a complex dangerous project in such a safe methodical way. I will be using them again!

Laura in Old Toronto
Laura in Old Toronto

Underpinning Excellence

Flush Underpinning of 3 Storey Beach Semi. I have worked with many contractors over the years. The Underpinners and Daniel are without a doubt the best Contractors of any type I have ever worked with. They finished the job early. They were kind and considerate throughout. The job site was clean. They answered every question I had. Every one of the tradespeople onsite treated my home as if it was their own. They were efficient and knowledgable. I am absolutely thrilled with the outcome of their work and would highly recommend to all of my clients and friends. I received quotes from 4 different companies before starting the work. The Underpinners were fair in their estimate. After seeing the quality of their work, the investment was worth every penny.

ZZ Contracting  in North York
ZZ Contracting in North York

Shoring, Underpinning, Foundation, Formwork

I purchased a property in the Harbord Pillage area that included an old Victorian and detached legal-non-conforming coach house. Both houses had tremendous structural limitations and deficiencies and were in a complete state of disrepair.

The brick foundation of the front Victorian was only 1 coarse thick and bowing inwards due to lateral pressure. The biggest challenge for replacing the foundation of the front house was shoring and supporting the existing upper two levels of the house, alongside not disturbing the neighboring structures. The Underpinners supported the bowing brick foundation, sequentially replacing it by cutting out sections and using Insulated Concrete Forms to pour a new foundation. In the few areas the existing foundation walls were in tact, Daniel and his team underpinned the walls and applied a liner wall to reinforce the existing foundation. The finished basement ceiling height is 8’ 6” with a walkout entrance.

The coach house behind it was an old fishing lodge dating back to the early 1800s and in even worse shape. The foundation, where there was one, was completely falling apart and needed to be entirely replaced. When it rained, water would pour through the mortar joints in the degraded cinderblock. The challenges at the coach house were many. Among them, the existing 2 storey structure was sitting on rotted log beams and the remaining foundation needed structural reinforcement and/or complete replacement. As it was a legal-non-confirming building, the project required extensive shoring to keep the existing structure intact and safe to work under while the foundation was being replaced. Using steel piles and solid lagging, the Underpinners shored along the property line to support the neighbor’s garage and 12 feet of soil. This was done in order to maintain a safe work site for their employees and sub contractors. They then supported the entire house on temporary jack posts while forming and pouring new footing and foundation walls. The finished basement height is 8’ 2” with radiant heated polished cement floors and a walkout.

The project was complex and extensive from the start, with many logistical and unforeseen challenges. I interviewed many companies to contract out this large body of work and, after numerous estimates and site meetings, the only contractor I felt comfortable taking on the project were the Underpinners. In addition to being stand-up guys, both Daniel and Stephen have extensive construction knowledge and a thorough understanding of foundation, shoring and underpinning. The Underpinners completed both projects efficiently and safely, working alongside engineers and sub trades to ensure everything went smoothly. The Underpinners operate with a level of professionalism, honesty and integrity that is oftentimes lacking in the construction industry. It was a complete pleasure working with the Underpinners on this project and on others. I would very much recommend their services and continue to use them on my projects throughout the city.

Underpinning for Major Renovation

We were undertaking a major renovation that included a second storey addition. Before we could do anything, however, we needed to get our foundation underpinned, the basement lowered, and all of the drains replaced. It was by far the most significant portion of the entire renovation, and I was very anxious about finding a capable contractor. Daniel at The Underpinners Inc. immediately put me at ease and it quickly became apparent that his crew was competent, experienced, and perfectly suited for a job of this magnitude. I was not disappointed. All of the work was completed on time and on budget with no unexpected problems or costs. The crew went out of their way to be courteous and respectful towards the neighbours, and they kept the jobsite safe, neat, and clean at all times. Dan and his supervisors were always on site and were available to answer any questions that would arise. I would highly recommend The Underpinners Inc. to anyone looking for an honest, capable, and fully reliable underpinning contractor. They would be my first choice in the future.

richgilbank in Toronto
richgilbank in Toronto

Toronto townhouse underpinning

I recently worked with The Underpinners on the underpinning of a small townhouse in downtown Toronto. While initially worried about the nature of the project (attached on both sides), I was definitely glad we brought them in.

The quote I received from them was lower than another company and after meeting Daniel, I was confident this was the company I wanted to work with. The final work came in at nearly exactly what they'd quoted me, and was completed quickly (all in all, about 6 weeks). Daniel and/or Steve were always on site and happy to answer questions and solve any problems that came up.

The final work was quite thorough and I've since had a few people who have underpinned or worked in the industry (and are more familiar with it than I am) remark on it positively.

I'd recommend them and have since referred them to a few friends looking to do the same.

Looking for Basement Renovation pros in Toronto?