The Underpinners Inc

Toronto ON M3J 2P1
HomeStars  >  Basement Renovation in Toronto  >  The Underpinners Inc

Reviews for The Underpinners Inc

Underpinning for Major Renovation

We were undertaking a major renovation that included a second storey addition. Before we could do anything, however, we needed to get our foundation underpinned, the basement lowered, and all of the drains replaced. It was by far the most significant portion of the entire renovation, and I was very anxious about finding a capable contractor. Daniel at The Underpinners Inc. immediately put me at ease and it quickly became apparent that his crew was competent, experienced, and perfectly suited for a job of this magnitude. I was not disappointed. All of the work was completed on time and on budget with no unexpected problems or costs. The crew went out of their way to be courteous and respectful towards the neighbours, and they kept the jobsite safe, neat, and clean at all times. Dan and his supervisors were always on site and were available to answer any questions that would arise. I would highly recommend The Underpinners Inc. to anyone looking for an honest, capable, and fully reliable underpinning contractor. They would be my first choice in the future.

richgilbank in Toronto
richgilbank in Toronto

Toronto townhouse underpinning

I recently had the pleasure of working with The Underpinners on the underpinning of a small townhouse in downtown Toronto. While initially worried about the nature of the project (attached on both sides), I was definitely glad we brought them in.

The quote I received from them was lower than another company and after meeting Daniel, I was confident this was the company I wanted to work with. The final work came in at nearly exactly what they'd quoted me, and was completed quickly (all in all, about 6 weeks). Daniel and/or Steve were always on site and happy to answer questions and solve any problems that came up.

The final work was quite impressive - neighbours of mine down the street have since hired a different company to underpin their basement, which was similar in size, but cost them more and took much longer. The neighbours' first inspection was failed by the city inspector and they had to redo some work to make it pass, but the same inspector was genuinely impressed with the work The Underpinners had done at my place and passed it immediately. I've since had a few people who have underpinned or worked in the industry (and are more familiar with it than I am) say how well done the basement is.

I'd absolutely recommend them again and have since referred them to a few friends looking to do the same.

Steve in Toronto
Steve in Toronto

Basement Underpinning and Liner Walls

My family and I were looking to gain more livable space, so we decided to dig out and finish our 100+ year old home's basement. We luckily chose The Underpinners Inc. for the underpinning work.
I'm more than satisfied with Daniel, Stephen and the entire team's work. They managed my expectations throughout, were extremely responsive to all of my communications and most importantly, their work was outstanding. I even had subsequent contractors that worked on finishing the basement comment on how exceptional the underpinning work was.
I would definitely recommend The Underpinners to anyone looking to underpin their home in the future.

David Richardson from Toronto
David Richardson from Toronto

Underpinning a house with a river under it

Daniel and Steven just completed an incredibly difficult job for us. We started with bad drawings from our engineer that Daniel identified. After commencing digging we discovered that our house was built on a river that the city filled in 115 years ago meaning that we needed to completly change our approach.

Daniel worked with our new engineers to come up with a new solution that allows us to get as much depth as possible with our compromised soil conditions.

We ended up hiring a helical piers get company to support our house. This company was very difficult to work with and actually undermined our foundation. Daniel came and immediately helped us by shoring up the foundation.

Once the piercing was completed Daniel and Steve were immediately back in the house and got the job done in three weeks with the new plans.

Despite not being the general contractor on our job he worked with us through the whole process providing insight and suggestions on what we could do to achieve the results we wanted.

Having worked with lots of contractors, you will be hard pressed to find a company that is so commited, and has such a friendly and hard working team that would often stay late to keep everything on schedule.

In term of cost, the underpinners are not the cheapest quote that we received, but the value from their dedication to doing our project right, and not just blindly following drawings and getting in and out, but being true partners made this the best decision of our project.

Jon in Toronto
Jon in Toronto

Excavation, Underpinning & Waterproofing

After meeting with and getting quotes from a few different underpinning companies, we selected The Underpinners to excavate, underpin and waterproof our basement. We had never done any major renovations on our house, so our biggest fear about undertaking this project was how it was going to impact our home life – whether it be noise, dust, or just the general unease of having total strangers working in our home. Throughout the project, we never once felt uncomfortable or inconvenienced.

The crew was punctual, well-organized and very personable. Once we had a firm start date, they showed up on time (in the middle of a snowstorm, no less), ready to hit the ground running. We had numerous compliments from neighbours – some of whom we had never met before – about what a wonderful crew we had working at the house. The guys were courteous enough to help my pregnant wife and 3-year old son navigate through dumpsters and discarded waste when they returned home in the evening. They also stopped working outside when the local daycare would walk their children past the house.
Inside the house, they were efficient and worked incredibly hard. Every night, I went down to the basement and would be amazed by their daily progress. The dust was very well contained, and the site was always cleaned up before anyone headed home for the night. Most evenings, they slipped out without us even knowing they had left. Daniel, Stephen and their entire crew were always available to answer questions or provide us with updates as the project progressed. The few issues that did arise were always discussed and addressed in a timely manner.

Our basement in its original form was damp and unfinished, with approximately 6 feet of clearance. We now have a completely waterproofed basement (including a new sump pump, new weeping tile and a sewage ejector pit), plus over 8 feet of clearance. The difference is unbelievable.

The work was completed to the highest standard with minimal upheaval. Almost as importantly – it was completed on time, on budget and to the exact specifications of our architect drawings.

We are so incredibly pleased that we selected The Underpinners to dig our basement, and thoroughly enjoyed working with Daniel, Stephen and their team. We would highly recommend The Underpinners’ services for any of your underpinning and waterproofing needs.

Mark in Toronto
Mark in Toronto

Built October 1894 - updated November 2018

Daniel, Steve and all his crew are all great to work with. They manage expectations very well and understand the business isn't just about basements. They're fair minded in everything they do. They worked very hard all the time and never smoked or swore. They made themselves available when we needed help moving things around upstairs. They did what they said they would and always took care of the detail. Workplace safety is high on the priority list, as is proper coverage for your insurance needs. Daniel helped us a lot in finding an insurance broker when TD told us they wouldn't cover us during the renovations! He brought in soils engineers and structural engineers to make sure all bases were covered. They went out of their way to save the garden and keep the cat in. Is The Underpinners more expensive? Yes - a little not a lot. Are you getting what you pay for? Undoubtedly. You're not just getting a nice end product - but in a job that could bring yours or your neighbours house down - properly done. He's above board all the time so if you ever have a claim down the road - there just won't be a problem from your basement. Do yourself a favour - shop around and then hire The Underpinners. Great job guys!

Les Klopfer in Toronto
Les Klopfer in Toronto

Underpinning Basement and Retaining Wall

My family and I are thrilled we got the opportunity to work with Daniel and the whole Underpinners Inc. crew. We were puzzled in the initial stages of deciding to underpin, we didn't have a strategy to overcome the issue of our home being a very close proximity to our neighbour and undermining the angle of repose.

When I was connected with Daniel, I instantly was impressed with his extensive knowledge on the subject. He was able to assist us in getting our permit revised to accomplish the type of underpinning we wanted (we avoided doing a bench style underpin) Daniel also connected us with a great engineer who was essential in our entire renovation process. Without Daniel's knowledge, expertise and connections, we wouldn't have found the solutions. He even connected us with a great carpenter! Daniel and the Underpinners were true lifesavers for us and all this and they haven't even started to dig yet!

Upon commencement of underpinning, we were impressed with the organization and professionalism of the Underpinners Inc. We knew this was a big project to take on and we were happy every step of the way with the company we chose. They did a fantastic job and the whole time they were reliable and super efficient. They came when they said they were going to come and finished when they said they were going to finish, and timing is not always easy to predict in the underpinning business! The outcome was better than we expected and we owe a great deal of gratitude to Daniel, Stephen and the whole Underpinners Inc. Crew.

I work in Real Estate and home renovations, I will recommend The Underpinners Inc. to anyone who require the service. I truly don't expect to find a better company to underpin your basement.

Jenna in Toronto
Jenna in Toronto

Structural beam and walkout

Stephen and Daniel were lovely to work with. They are knowledgable, friendly, and considerate. The Underpinners helped us with a structural beam inside our house and they did our walkout. We had other trades comment on how impressed they were of their craftsmanship. Would highlight recommend their service. They are worth the wait!

Andrea
Andrea

Basement Underpinning, Semi-Detached

The Underpinners were great to work with. From start to finish, Daniel, Stephen and their entire team were responsive, responsible and respectful. I also couldn’t be happier with the quality of the underpinning work. We interviewed a few other underpinning companies and though The Underpinners’ quote was eslightly more (by not that much), their communication skills and professionalism was above and beyond the others and stayed true throughout the process. They were also endlessly patient with my questions throughout the entire process. We did run into an issue in which we discovered part of the house wasn’t sitting on any foundation and was basically floating. That resulted in a fair amount of necessary overages, which was unfortunate, but The Underpinners kindly coached us through it and helped us assess a few of options at various costs. We lived in the house during the underpinning, which is always going to be very disruptive no matter which contractor you choose. Lucky for us, the crew was incredibly respectful and very pleasant to deal with. In the end, Daniel, Stephen and their team completed the underpinning beautifully and left the basement spotless.

Colin in Toronto
Colin in Toronto

Basement underpinning and walkout

The Underpinners recently underpinned and built a new walkout for the basement of our 100-year-old semi in Leslieville. We are extremely happy with the work and with the entire process. From the get-go, Daniel and Stephen were incredibly communicative, forthright, and quick to respond to any questions or concerns.

On a number of occasions they went above and beyond for us, helping manage some extra plumbing work we had done and laying sod for us at the end of the job. They also recommended a number of tradespeople and helped coordinate that work.

We did a lot of research before starting this job and got a number of quotes. The Underpinners was not the cheapest, but in hindsight we know it would have been a mistake to have gone with anyone else. The process could easily have been overwhelming, but they always made it feel manageable. We never had a moment's doubt about the quality of the work they were doing or its integrity or safety.

Daniel, Stephen and their workers were also really pleasant to have on-site. We have two young children who were very interested in the work being done, and the guys were always friendly and engaging, which meant a lot to us.

We wholeheartedly recommend them!