The Underpinners Inc

Toronto ON M3J 2P1
HomeStars  >  Basement Renovation in Toronto  >  The Underpinners Inc

Reviews for The Underpinners Inc

Jenna in Toronto

Stephen and Daniel were lovely to work with. They are knowledgable, friendly, and considerate. The Underpinners helped us with a structural beam inside our house and they did our walkout. We had other trades comment on how impressed they were of their craftsmanship. Would highlight recommend their service. They are worth the wait!

Andrea

The Underpinners were great to work with. From start to finish, Daniel, Stephen and their entire team were responsive, responsible and respectful. I also couldn’t be happier with the quality of the underpinning work. We interviewed a few other underpinning companies and though The Underpinners’ quote was eslightly more (by not that much), their communication skills and professionalism was above and beyond the others and stayed true throughout the process. They were also endlessly patient with my questions throughout the entire process. We did run into an issue in which we discovered part of the house wasn’t sitting on any foundation and was basically floating. That resulted in a fair amount of necessary overages, which was unfortunate, but The Underpinners kindly coached us through it and helped us assess a few of options at various costs. We lived in the house during the underpinning, which is always going to be very disruptive no matter which contractor you choose. Lucky for us, the crew was incredibly respectful and very pleasant to deal with. In the end, Daniel, Stephen and their team completed the underpinning beautifully and left the basement spotless.

Colin in Toronto

The Underpinners recently underpinned and built a new walkout for the basement of our 100-year-old semi in Leslieville. We are extremely happy with the work and with the entire process. From the get-go, Daniel and Stephen were incredibly communicative, forthright, and quick to respond to any questions or concerns.

On a number of occasions they went above and beyond for us, helping manage some extra plumbing work we had done and laying sod for us at the end of the job. They also recommended a number of tradespeople and helped coordinate that work.

We did a lot of research before starting this job and got a number of quotes. The Underpinners was not the cheapest, but in hindsight we know it would have been a mistake to have gone with anyone else. The process could easily have been overwhelming, but they always made it feel manageable. We never had a moment's doubt about the quality of the work they were doing or its integrity or safety.

Daniel, Stephen and their workers were also really pleasant to have on-site. We have two young children who were very interested in the work being done, and the guys were always friendly and engaging, which meant a lot to us.

We wholeheartedly recommend them!

Wow - what an amazing experience. Renovation are extremely stressful and Daniel and his partner Steven make it such an incredible smooth and enjoyable process. I miss having them around the work site.

We debated on getting an extension or using our existing space in the basement for a family area. We decided to go with underpinning so we didn't have to go to committtee of adjustments for the extension and it would be faster. The budget is very detailed for anyone to understand and they have menu pricing for extras such as heated floors etc so no surprises on the budget front. The staff is timely, keeps the workspace clean and always very courteous. When you embark on these types of jobs they can be risky so I only wanted to go with a knowledgeable company that does this kind of work every day and has the most experience in the industry. I am so glad I picked the Underpinners Inc - they are the best in Toronto! We love our new space!

David Carter from Toronto

Our home is a 100 year old semi-detached home in Riverdale. We used The Underpinners to replace the basement foundation walls which were failing and to dig out the basement by an additional 2.5 feet so we could finish the basement into modern living space. We are very happy with the work performed and with our experience with Daniel and his company and recommend him highly.
Our initial contact with Daniel Garfield, the owner of the company, was positive in that he listened thoroughly, was very patient discussing the work and his approach, and answered our many questions, at any time. He was open and helpful in making suggestions on how we might finish our basement. He had already worked on our street reconstructing the foundation walls for two of our neighbours who both were very positive about his work and the finished product.
Our project began in mid-November and was finished in five weeks, just before Christmas, as scheduled. To achieve this, he and his team worked very hard.
Daniel is a pleasure to deal with, courteous and prompt to respond to calls and issues. His associates are also professional to deal with, and his employees/workers were polite and industrious. Daniel and his associates were careful about safety and ensuring that everything was shored up and supported as required. They also tried very hard to accommodate all of our requests such as minimizing any damage to our garden. Daniel also made recommendations of trades that we needed such as electrical, plumbing, gas, and assisted us by coordinating them for us.
We recommend, without hesitation Daniel and his company to carry out complex and challenging basement underpinning and replacements.

Kate W  in Toronto

The Underpinners Inc underpinned our basement in early spring and we couldn't be more pleased with the result. We love our neighbourhood but needed more space in our home, they were able to increase the height of our basement from 5'8 to 8'2 to become a more liveable space.
The entire team was great to work with, respected our home and we would strongly recommend them. We're the 3rd house on our street to of worked with them!

Daniel and Stephen broke the mold for any trade. They were professional, personable, punctual and considerate. From my first conversation with Daniel, I knew that The Underpinners were the best for my family and our home. Underpinning one's foundation is daunting. Daniel and Stephen partnered to alleviate that stress. They guided us through the nuances of upsizing beams and fortifying poured ICF walls with extra rebar. Through their relationship with their structural and soil engineers, they recommended using vertical steel angles to resist soil pressure and fortify our 9 foot walls.
Daniel educated us on structural slabs vs. slab-on-grade and was extremely helpful with respect to educating us on our decision to increase the scope of our project. In that I’m a very discerning and hands-on client, Daniel and Stephen (and their crew) were very amenable to my level of involvement and scrutiny.
I am still in contact with them today and would wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone.
Steve, Toronto Beach

Joey in Leslieville

We own a 100year old home in Leslieville and planned to underpin and renovate our basement to make room for our growing young family. The Underpinners were recommended by a designer and provided a competitive quote. We scheduled the job and quickly developed a trusting relationship with Daniel. When it was times to start the job the first step was to excavate a few test pits to evaluate there footing and soil conditions. We learned that our footings were (typical for their age) very poor, the soil underneath the house has a very poor bearing capacity, and the local water table is very high - liked immediately beneath the floor slab. Together with our structural engineer, and structural and geotechnical engineers recommended by the Underpinners we decided that there technical challenges were too great to continue underpinning as planned. Instead we realigned the plumbing and poured a new concrete floor without underpinning. Throughout the process Daniel and Steven were supportive, and answered our many questions. Even though we didn't get to underpin as we had planned I would recommend The Underpinners to anyone undertaking this type of project.

Thanh My in York

We signed up for the contract 6 months before it started. And six months later, we were bombarded with so many things in our lives that I thought getting a basement underpinned in the mist of all this would be a nightmare. But I was wrong. Through it all, I never really had to do much, the Underpinners took care of everything. I felt relieved after the first day when I found out they didn't have to call me to ask my neighbor if they can temporarily take down the fence panel to do work. They just went ahead and took care of business and my neighbor were happy they were polite and caring and did something nice in return for the inconvenience.

After that, I just had to take care of my own business knowing that the basement would be done well. And it was! Daniel and his team are very knowledgeable and caring. They really do care about you! Highly recommend+++

Anabel in Riverdale and Dwntwn Toronto

During what we thought was a cosmetic basement renovation, a large hole was discovered in our foundation. A structural engineer was brought in, who then determined we needed a new foundation.

Enter the Underpinners, who were one of three companies recommended by the engineer. We live in Riverdale, where the houses are old, the soil is sandy and your neighbor is just a few feet away.

Daniel was great right from the start. We got a detailed quote and explanation of the process. Instead of shying away from a difficult job, the Underpinners embraced it and made it seem easy.

Throughout the entire project, Daniel was either on site working or just a quick phone call away. He was very accessible even late on a Sunday night when we had questions. Working in such close proximity to neighbors, the crew were always really polite and went out of their way to keep them happy.

The main crew were always respectful and tidy. If outside trades were brought in, Daniel supervised and made sure no one smoked in the house.

We ended up digging down and underpinning the house as well and Daniel put us in touch with someone who could lay the radiant heating, install a combi boiler and polished our new cement floors. We are extremely happy with the results.

Our basement now has 8 ft ceilings and new windows. It doesn't even look like a basement. The polished cement floor looks amazing.

While it was a difficult process (unexpected & expensive renos are never fun), Daniel never failed to impress with his knowledge and readiness to help. I have no hesitation in recommending The Underpinners. In fact, we have already recommended them to 3 more houses on the street.