Calico Design & Renovation

Reviews for Calico Design & Renovation

Jamie in Toronto
Jamie in Toronto

Drywall repair

I had Calico designs come and quote some repair work. I had a leak in my bathroom that destroyed the drywall ceiling in my basement. They came to quote the same day and started work the next business day. They finished all the work within a week and the work was completed very well.

Thank you so much for your kind words. Much appreciated it.

ejmescobar
ejmescobar

Full House Renovation

Roy is really good! We finished our full house renovation and he was there to support us through the process. He is fair, great problem solver, very open communication, proactive and above all super committed to make sure all trades were on time and delivered with quality.
We couldn't have finished our renovation on time without Roy.
If you want an amazing project manager to look after your renovation he is the guy.

Thank you so much for the great review. It was my absolute pleasure.
Please stay in-touch and inform us if you have issues. Thanks

Lingster
Lingster

Finish a Basement - Framing & Drywall

We decided to turn our basement into an industrial loft with an exposed painted ceiling. Roro (who refers to himself as Roy) is not as professional as others have written. He was friendly and seemed genuinely into his work however, he does lack framing skills. My husband said the basement framing job was unprofessional with huge gaps (upwards of 16” behind frames) so that Roy could cut corners and go around drains to avoid boxing them out. Windows have a minimum of a 4” gap from the frame. At one point, when I brought it up with Roro, he seemed to get upset when I told him I don’t want all that wasted space behind a wall. He said, well, you’re only going to get a couple of inches... (more like 12” extra). The framing around the circumference walls are a mess that has to be corrected and apparently, now that Roro has his payment in full, he has simply fallen over the edge of the planet. There shall be no corrections by him. Zero communication now that he has the money in his pocket. We overpaid him for the kind of work he did. He’s a one man show (where are people getting this Roy and his team from?). We only ever saw one other kid (maybe 17 years old?) when he hand bombed the 2x4’s into our basement window (and charged us a $300 delivery fee) and then another guy for the 4 hours they framed out a bathroom and a single wall. After that, it was all Roro. His days never started before 12. Usually he arrived closer to 1pm and would leave around 4 or sometimes 6pm. It took him a week to frame. Some frames he pushed back tighter against the basement wall after I insisted but overall, his work quality is poor and lazy. He did not want to cut short any pieces so if an 8’ board went beyond a corner, then he made the other side join it so both are far from the walls. A lot of wasted space. And he just kept on and on about how he was going to bring the drywall in. At that point I had decided there was no way I was going to pay him $5500 labour to drywall and pay on top of that for material (which would have made it $8000). HE DOES NOT HAVE A CONTRACTOR ACCOUNT WITH ANY HARDWARE STORE and so we ended up paying full retail price for whatever materials he used. Seriously, that is so ridiculous. He even rented a ramset tool then tried to pass it off in his receipts for me to pay for. He charged me HST but I do not believe he has an HST # and he won’t provide me with one. I did look up his company for reviews and they all seemed dandy. From what we experienced first hand, we find it hard to believe he as achieved 10 star reviews. Everything that has ever been written or said are not what we have experienced. No team. Just him. After he was paid (big mistake - thought the job was done) - he absconded into darkness. Our electrician commented about the ‘lazy’ work. One bathroom wall is 6” away from the wall. Another wall is still 10” away. We have hired another company to drywall. Their price includes all materials - $3500. A far cry from the $8000 Roro wanted. However, because of the ridiculous framing (no drywall boards line up to any studs - so reframing had to be done), it now cost us $4500 to drywall. There are no supports above any of the door frames. He also does not clean sweep after he’s done. He left a pile of sawdust, and over 600 pieces of cut wood. I think the photos speak volumes. Just look at the patchwork. In one photo you can see a long screw that barely touches the ceiling joist (guess he cut the wood too short for that one and left it) and in another you can see there is absolutely no stud attached to the joist to hold up the framing. For this he charged us $5000 to frame??? *The photo of the ceiling with the round vent behind the frame is in the bathroom. He was too lazy to frame around the vent in order to push the frame back against the wall. So instead I have a 6” gap there. I also have 5” of gaps between the window and the framing. Additionally, some of the walls are crooked as you can see - we placed a 2x4 against a ‘framed wall’ and you can see the huge gap in the middle. As well, while having the flooring installed we were shown how every single wall is slanted! There are zero square corners.

There wasn’t a trade that came in that did not comment about the framing. They all said the job was worth maybe $2,000 but the way our basement was framed, they said they wouldn’t have paid a dime. I asked Roro to fix what he did and he refused.

Jennifer
Jennifer

Drywall Ceiling Repair

Roy was professional, efficient and did a great job. Communication was thorough and delivery of service was excellent. When services are needed we will use again. Thanks.

It was an absolute pleasure Jennifer,
Thank you so much for the review. Please stay in-touch and stay safe

Drywall contractor

We've worked with Roy and calico design on hundreds of DRYWALL PROJECTS from custom estates to a small 3 bedroom house or even drywall repairs

Him a d his team are always on time proffienal and get things done with the best quality NO TOUCH UPS

If you are looking for drywall work, dont look far and hire calico design, I have been working with this contractor for a few years now and never had an issue honest on time and take pride in there work

Thanks for the review!

Bathroom Renovation

I hired Roy to do work on my upstairs bathroom, needed a full renovation. He did such a wonderful job.

I live about 30 minutes out of Mississauga & he would make the drive everyday with no excuses or complaints!
He was very professional and respectful of the vision I had for my main bathroom. He took it on by himself & never had any problems!
I felt comfortable trusting him with such a big job.
I’ve never had anyone follow up with me after the work they’ve done around the house, but Roy did. He wanted to make sure I was satisfied with the overall look & if I ever needed anything else he was a call away!
Overall I highly recommend Roy, he is exceptional!

It was an absolute pleasure. Please stay in touch if you never need anything.

Sincerely
Roy
647-779-3287
Calico Design and Renovations
Www.calico-design.ca

Full Bathroom Remodelling

I was referred to Roy by a friend of mine.
I wanted a one of a kind, minimalistic design for my bathroom that had an open concept feel. The work Roy did was astonishing and exceeded my expectations! He was professional and respectful of the vision I had. He took the time to demonstrate how he would bring my vision to life and made sure I was apart of each step of the journey. I now have my dream bathroom where I truly feel relaxed and excited to show my guests!
I’ve never had anyone follow up with me after doing work around my house, except for Roy. He wanted to make sure I was satisfied with the look and if I ever needed anything else done he was just a call away! I highly recommend Roy for any home needs

It was an absolute pleasure. Please stay in touch

Sincerely
Roy
647-779-3287
Calico Design and Renovations
Www.calico-design.ca

Basement Renovation

Roy is amazing to work with. He is a very professional honest individual that takes pride in his work.
Highly recomended Calico Design

It was my pleasure. Thank you.

lyallawi
lyallawi

Renovations and custom fabrication and install

Roy has been so willing and eager to work on projects. I am new in the design world and having someone who is reliable, fair and professional.

He helped me renovate an entire Air Bnb, from plumbing, tile work, painting and flooring. He has also helped me in set design work, fabricating stand alone walls and installs for one day events.

Thank you so much Lyal, it's been nothing but a pleasure.

Erin
Erin

Drywall, Painting, Tiling and General Contractor

Calico Design & Renovation are dedicated and hard-working. They provide fast quotes and very realistic and reasonable timelines. Always a pleasure to work with, very professional and respectful of your space. Definitely would recommend Roy and his team!

Thank you so much Erin, it's been nothing but a pleasure.

More about Calico Design & Renovation