The Roof Whisperer

11 Shallmar Blvd, suite 705 Toronto ON M5N 1J6
HomeStars  >  Roofing in North York  >  The Roof Whisperer  >  Dishonest and Poor Workmanship
AWCrone in Old Toronto
AWCrone in Old Toronto

Dishonest and Poor Workmanship

I used Roof Whisperer to replace a large broken skylight. I began experiencing leaks in surrounding ceiling not long afterwards. I had them come back and Arthur told me I needed an entirely new roof (in a 6 yr old house) They never got back to me with a quote and I had 2 other companies come in and look at our roof. All the reports were that our roof was of the utmost top quality and in fantastic condition but that the issue was that the skylight that had been installed was too large for the space and the Roof Whisperer had thrown in some crappy workmanship to hide this fact and we were getting tons of water leaking in through it. On top of that they installed a large, flat skylight on a flat roof, with no attempt to build a proper curb to create an angle so that the water would run off and not leave stains and dirt. Not only did they do a horrible job with the skylight install, but when I had them come back months later (not knowing any of this yet) to address my leaks Arthur tried to sell me on a 10 day job of a complete roof replacement that was in NO WAY NEEDED and also wouldn't have fixed their botched job to begin with!

Hi AWCrone,
Thank you for your review. I do apologize on behalf of everyone at The Roof Whisperer for your bad experience with us. We do rely on our workers when it comes to their work and their opinions. In your case we had a bad apple in our crew. ILIR fortunately no longer works for us. He should have sloped the curb and special order the skylight to fit in skylight opening . It could have been much better, easier and less work. Also he did not do a thorough assessment on rest of roof. However I should have come out personally and check the work after was completed.Lesson learnt. I did offer to make it right free of charge but I did not get a response.
I have to add also that I did best to my knowledge to find and show to you all deficiencies on the roof. Membrane and roof were 6 years old but many things were wrong. There missing flashing on each side of dormers in front. There were three leaks that were not related to skylight at all. Membrane around skylight was in good condition and no way it was leaking there. One leak was in bathroom front of house which I believe was where water was pooling on flat roof. One leak was lined up with damaged pipe stack where I could fit my hand through. The other leak was lined with pop up nails and torn membrane 4 ft away from skylight.
In no way I was trying to sell anything and that is the reason why I did not send a quote till you have to other opinions.
I do hope whoever fixed the roof or the skylight has managed to resolve all roof leaks.