Malcolm Mcgrath Cabinets And Fine Carpentry

Cabinetry & Millwork
canvarco rd. Toronto ON m4g1l3
HomeStars  >  Cabinetry & Millwork in East York  >  Malcolm Mcgrath Cabinets And Fine Carpentry

Reviews for Malcolm Mcgrath Cabinets And Fine Carpentry

Barbra Pollock in North york
Barbra Pollock in North york

Kitchen cabinwts

Malcolm was an absolute pleasure to work with. He built my kitchen in a matter very few short weeks. He helped me with the design and had lots of great suggestions to help make my beautiful kitchen become a reality. The quality is top notch and attention to detail is unsurpassed Malcolm and his team were very tidy and made sure everything was cleaned up after they had done the work. They did everything as per schedule and did not miss any deadlines When I had a couple of very small issues they came back immediately to touch them up and make everything perfect I would not hesitate to recommend Malcolm to build anyone's kitchen. One thing that I liked the most was that he did a template of all the cabinetry and island so that I had an opportunity to walk around and feel the kitchen before it was put in place and know that everything fit to size properly

Rando in East york
Rando in East york

Most excellent custom bookcase / cabinet for living room

We live in a very nicely renovated home in the Leaside area but our living room was lacking the design quality of the rest of our home; the Ikea bookcases we had for many years were originally purchased for our condo and were looking tired and out of place. We wanted to upgrade this most-used space in our home and sought out a fine carpenter to help us refine and implement our vision of a modern bookcase cabinet.

After meeting with a few contractors, we decided to go with Malcolm because of the many positive and authentic reviews of his work online, his friendly personality, and the fact that he quickly understood what we were looking for. He also priced very competitively, promised a timely completion of work, and his workshop is located in our area.

It was a complete pleasure to work with Malcolm. He did everything he said he would do. He did it all when he said he would, for the price he promised, and he cleaned up our space as much as possible after he left each day of work (we have a young child so this is particularly important to us). Most importantly, we are absolutely thrilled with the design and finish quality of the work. He quite literally understood exactly what we were looking for and produced it for us. His creativity really came in handy with the small details such as where the bookcases met the crown mouldings along our ceiling. Our new bookcase/cabinetry is top-quality and we are certain that we added to our property value with this minor renovation.

We could not recommend Malcolm higher. He is a super nice guy who very calmly worked with us to ensure we were happy. He was communicative, paid very careful attention to the finest details, and delivered an excellent product. This review may sound over the top positive but we are very happy with how this project came out and wish nothing but continued success for Malcolm.

He is truly a master carpenter and we will most certainly turn to him for our next millwork project.

Thanks Malcolm!

R*

Thanks for nice review

Rita W in Toronto
Rita W in Toronto

Kitchen and Bathroom Cabinetry

Assisted Review

When I gutted my kitchen and bathroom Skip did all my cabinetry. Since both rooms are small and I like

lots of storage, I asked Skip to come up with some innovative solutions to maximize the space. He did

not disappoint. Since my house is old and has moldings everywhere, Skip did an excellent job of

matching those on the cabinetry.

I am very pleased with my new kitchen and bathroom. I have far more storage than I had before and the

look is elegant. Skip was a pleasure to work with. He is very attentive to detail and an excellent

craftsman. He is very neat and reliable.

If I need any more cabinetry, I will definitely ask Skip to make it. I highly recommend him.

Murray Whyte
Murray Whyte

Kitchen cabinetry construction (and maintenance)

This review is a long time coming, but I was reminded of Malcolm's skill and professionalism when it recently came to our attention that our cleaners had damaged the gorgeous custom kitchen Malcolm built for us in early 2014. Because of their careless use of wet sponges, water had infiltrated cabinet doors and caused the finish to lift. Malcolm came over, had a look, suggested a reasonable and affordable solution, and executed the whole thing in less than a week.
We were thrilled with our kitchen when it was first built, and amazed at its functionality as well as its beauty; there were a lot of custom solutions that needed to be figured out, and Malcolm executed it perfectly, and an a surprisingly short time frame (it's worth knowing that while many custom cabinet makers need months of lead time, Malcolm can manage most normal-sized kitchen projects in just a few weeks.)
So when we noticed it had been damaged, we were crushed; Malcolm came to the rescue and took care of the issue, restoring our kitchen to its former glory. Try getting Ikea or Home Depot to do that! Thanks Malcolm!

Custom cabinet

Skip visited our home, took measurements and discussed the finishes.
The cabinet has turned out exactly as he described it would. It fits beautifully with some others it is next to. Great finish.
I highly recommend Skip to anyone looking for a quality job.

Millie in Toronto, Ontario
Millie in Toronto, Ontario

Kitchen and Bathrooms in Old Victorian

Malcolm (Skip) was one of several contractors whom we reached out to with our kitchen drawings to obtain his quote. Not only was his price the most competitive, but we were wholly impressed with his knowledge and commitment to delivering quality.

The scope of our renovation executed by Skip included a kitchen and 2 bathrooms in our old Victorian home in downtown Toronto. He brought with him some really top-notch and honest tradespeople to bring our vision to reality.

We're very happy with our kitchen and found that Skip was really wonderful in working with us to adjust and tailor just as we needed it. We welcomed his years of experience and measured practicality; on several occasions my partner and I considered enhancements or other scope items and Skip was able to vet the options and be very practical about whether or not it was worth it. On one occasion, Skip suggested that we purchase a big-box retailer's vanity, and that it be customized with the legs that we desired, based on the needs of our small bathroom.

Aside from his years of renovation and carpentry experience that is valuable to anyone pursuing a renovation - including my partner and I who had managed large renovations before - we were thoroughly impressed with the quality of his work. We had visited his shop, along with manufacturing facilities of other companies, and we found his work to be far superior and for a better price. His cabinet drawers have stunning dovetailed drawers, for example - his craftsmanship second to none.

In the end, our project was on budget and on time.

I would absolutely recommend him to my friends, and encourage you to as well.

Credit: Vincent Lions for Photos; Linnea Lions for Kitchen Design

Thanks Millie

Sonali in Toronto
Sonali in Toronto

Fire place and built-ins

Malcolm did a great job on our fireplace and built-in cabinets. He was professional, kind and easy to work with. He made suggestions and guided us through the process. We recommend him for his expertise and craftsmanship.

Adrian N.
Adrian N.

Kitchen Renovation and Project Management

We initially approached Malcolm for a new kitchen with a different general contractor / project manager in mind. Their costs kept ballooning so we asked Malcolm if he would do the new kitchen and act as the site manager / general contractor / project manager for the kitchen, 2 bathrooms, electrical and various small projects throughout. He agreed to a management fee of $10k which was very reasonable.

He guided us through the entire project, 2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen, some masonry, almost all new electrical and lots of smaller drywall, trim, framing, painting and flooring. We ended up taking 10 days longer than expected (which is amazing for a 3 month project). We ended up roughly on budget, again amazing for a 100 year old house full of surprises as soon as you open the walls.

One of the strongest value adds from Malcolm is his practical approach. He educated me a on how to build and buy products that are tested and are unlikely to fail. He made sure to inform us any time our design decisions might lead to a less durable product.

Malcolm was friendly, efficient with his time, good at communication, reachable and very reasonable with his time. I would definitely recommend him for any kitchen project or as a general contractor.

Jeff from North York
Jeff from North York

Aquarium Cabinet, Entertainment Unit and Bar

Malcolm McGrath did outstanding work for us! He manufactured a matching aquarium cabinet, a bar and an entertainment unit. The aquarium cabinet was very technical in nature with a long list of specifications. He thinks things through carefully and methodically and nothing was ever a problem. The quality of his work was excellent and it looks great in our home. Malcolm was a pleasure to work with and we highly recommend him.

Kit from Toronto
Kit from Toronto

Custom cabinet doors & shelves

I was looking for a cabinet maker who would fabricate custom doors for a wall of IKEA kitchen cabinets. There's a company in California that specializes in doing just this, but I reckoned that there must be someone in Toronto who could do the same. I found Malcolm McGrath on Homestars, and on the basis of good reviews, decided to proceed with him. After a year of searching for a general contractor for the kitchen renovation I re-connected with Malcolm who honoured his initial quotation. The cabinets were faced with rift sawn white oak doors and cover panels which contrast nicely with the other glossy white IKEA cabinets. I also had Malcolm make 12" wide floating shelves, supported by concealed steel brackets, the construction details of which we worked out together. Overall the workmanship was great, and the installation was faultless.

More about Malcolm Mcgrath Cabinets And Fine Carpentry

We do high quality, affordable, custom cabinets such as kitchens, home offices, or entertainment centers, as well as refinishing and upgrades to existing kitchens and cabinets. We can build the cabinets and supervise the renovation. We have a hands on, one at a time approach to make sure our clients get the best possible service. We cut out all the middlemen so we can offer high end quality at remarkably low prices. See the shop and other videos on Youtube. (look for malcolm mcgrath cabinets and fine carpentry)