Greening Homes Ltd.

Green Products & Services
1-1398 Bloor St. West Toronto ON M6P 4H6

Reviews for Greening Homes Ltd.

North York Homeowner
North York Homeowner

A renovation done right!

We hired Greening Homes to renovate our kitchen and 2 bathrooms. We have an older home so it was important to us to hire a company who could deal with the problems that often arise when renovating an older home. After meeting with Chris and Bryan I felt comfortable that they were the right people for the job. They were sincere and knowledgeable and listened carefully to our concerns and ideas.

The project was meticulously planned and managed, affording us cost certainty. Our project came in on time and on budget. Sean, our project manager was responsive to our requests and considerate of our budget. Greening was very careful to protect our home, controlling the spread of dust, and covering all floors, hallways and stairways, etc. The products and supplies are high quality and environmentally friendly. The workmanship was excellent. This company really does stand behind their work. Their motto is accurate..."renovations done responsibly". And I might also add "with integrity". Two rare commodities! I wouldn't hesitate to hire this company again or to recommend them to a friend.

Thank you Paul, Aviva: reviews from actual clients are appreciated! It was a pleasure to work with you both.

Shawn in Mississauga
Shawn in Mississauga

Poor project management practices and aggressive management

Hired this company for renovation. After many problems with project manager and sub-trades, did more research. The company misrepresented the trades they used (called an interior designer an architect and charged for architectural services). HVAC design was outright wrong resulting in a design that was 4 x what we needed. Charged hourly for issues that were clearly under warranty (charging to correct HVAC design, charging twice for architect tasks). Project missed deadline after deadline due to these issues. No commitment to new deadlines ever communicated. Eventually cancelled contract.

When discussed with owners, company took an aggressive stance stating they where experienced in court and would sue. I have no doubt they are experienced in court. It shows.

Greening Homes has never performed renovations work for this person. Unfortunately, as a renovations contract was signed (although renovations work was never executed by my company), Home Stars has allowed this misleading review to remain. This person directly hired Hatch Designs for BCIN-led permit work, not Greening Homes: claims of misrepresentation by Greening Homes staff is completely false. Hatch Designs is staffed by BCIN-registered professionals, not architects. HVAC design for this proposed basement renovation was executed by another third party (also not Greening Homes) and was designed to code requirements.

Greening Homes' sole involvement on this proposed project involved the creation of 6 separate, detailed, and fully transparent estimates for various scopes of work, as per the client's direction. All desired scopes of work were considerably beyond the means of this client, and no renovations work was ever undertaken by my company on this file. We charge for our detailed project estimates (which sometimes run over 20 pages in length and take several hours to create), although this client refused to pay his bill for our work. The $8K reference listed in project costs is not only inaccurate and inflated, it is a reference to the cost of permit sets and HVAC design that was not part of Greening Homes' work output. Furthermore, contrary to the assertions of the review, Greening Homes has never undertaken court action with a client: such claims are intentionally damaging and should not be allowed on a public forum such as this.

I am not sure what provoked this non-client to write such a toxic review of my company given that we never actually performed any renovations work for him, but the claims presented here are false and the rating itself is absurd. I am disappointed that Home Stars has allowed this review and its many false claims to stand simply on the merit of a signed renovation contract that was never executed: it could be very damaging for a less-established and less highly-regarded company. It is even more troubling that Home Stars actively sought a paid subscription from my company while this review was being flagged as inappropriate.

Not every project of ours runs perfectly (please see the negative review of our work below), but Greening Homes ethically and transparently performs substantially-sized renovation projects that generally take several months to complete. We have won several third-party awards, both regionally and nationally, for our work and leadership in our sector and we were recently awarded "Renovation Hero" by the Canadian Home Builders Association.

dja1939 in Old Toronto
dja1939 in Old Toronto

Highland Ave - basement, kitchen, powder room, garage, living room.

I engaged Greening based on the quality work they performed for my neighbour. She was very happy with the results and also - maybe more importantly - with the high level of transparency and communication throughout her project.
My own experience supports this view. We traveled extensively during the renovation and were always able to work with Greening on rolling decisions. Upon our return I spent more time on site and had absolutely no concerns with any members of the Greening team. Like all projects, issues arose with sub contractors that caused dissatisfaction, but they were swiftly and effectively managed by the Greening team members.

Aimy in Toronto
Aimy in Toronto

Basement underpin and renovation

A colleague with backgrounds in Architecture and Civil Engineering recommended Greening Homes to us, and with that endorsement we decided to explore the company to help us with underpinning and finishing our basement. We decided to go with GH for 2 reasons. First, Connor Malloy was so incredibly kind and patient with us in explaining how working with GH would unfold. I have overseen/paid for several large renovations in the past few years, and as a female, I have dealt with an unfortunate amount of patronization and sexism. This wasn’t the case with Connor at all. He was so respectful and friendly. When he saw that the price tag of the renovation was beyond what we had first expected, he did not pressure us to proceed and even encouraged us to consider the benefits of waiting to do the renovation. This really impressed me. The 2nd reason we decided to proceed with GH was their billing process. They invoice weekly based on the work that was done the week prior. We are both engineers (and therefore very detail oriented people), and we definitely appreciated (and were wowed) that they would demonstrate this level of detail with such transparency. The project management behind their process really impressed us. The GH process revolves around an environmental approach, and since my husband and I are both environmentalists that definitely struck a chord with us too.

Regarding the actual work: GH was on site every business day to work from 8-5. There may have been a handful of days that someone was not working, but this was rare. Let me be clear – this is totally unusual in my past experience! Rogelio was our site supervisor and lead carpenter, and Peter was also a carpenter for our project, and they were on site throughout the project. They were always so considerate of our family living through the construction, especially the little kids. They did beautiful work with such care and professionalism. I always got the impression that they weren’t here just to clock in their hours or get their work over with, but rather they were here to create something beautiful and of the highest quality. And, they really did do just that. Our finished basement is beautiful and we look at it and feel so good about the quality.

The other amazing thing about our experience was working with Johanna Grönberg, who was our project manager. She met with us every week, often accompanied by Mike Franciosa (Operations Manager) to discuss the decisions that had to be made every step of the way. Both Johanna and Mike were fantastic! Mike always offered sincere and practical advice throughout. Johanna was incredibly patient with us every step of the way, from discussing where the sump pump should go to which door knob to install. She even took us shopping to help us select our tiles, sink, fixtures etc. On top of that, she would randomly bring us pastries and pizza. Looking back, I think the most valuable thing Johanna did for me was to advocate for me. She always made sure I had a voice and pushed to make sure the renovation details were what we wanted. Simply put, Johanna is gold. She is highly knowledgeable, creative, friendly, and patient. We will always be thankful for her outstanding work.

The total cost of our renovation was significantly more than we had initially hoped. However, Johanna was always keeping us informed of the costs involved and any changes along the way. We saw the value in the renovation and the level of project management that came along with it – which ultimately ensured that we had a highly professional team doing high quality work with high quality materials. In the past and in projects in our neighbourhood, we have seen people cut corners and work unsafely. This was never the case with GH. Our renovation was worth every penny, and we are delighted with our new basement.

JB in Old Toronto
JB in Old Toronto

2nd and third floor addition

We used this firm and had a great deal of stress and anxiety as a result. They went over time, over budget and we have had multiple quality issues with the work.
We are still dealing will these issues today and Greening has been extremely difficult to deal with.
4 leaks have resulted from the work. The last leak has yet to be repaired and we have had a non-functioning shower for 1 month as a result.

Updated response: August 16th, 2018

The shower mentioned here was operational again immediately upon receiving the part that required special order. This was replaced at my own personal cost simply to avoid further quarrel, and it has since been established that the likely reason for the failure of this unique, and rather expensive, unit several months after installation and inspection was that it had been inappropriately used as a grab bar by the client's elderly mother.

Original response: July 2018

This is a project that has, indeed, experienced several unprecedented issues that Greening Homes has worked tirelessly -- and at our own considerable cost -- to rectify. Our communications have been consistently professional, and our response has been immediate in every case: a fact that can be easily confirmed through our well-kept records of all written communications on this project. Two licensed sub-trades on this project hired by my company (one installing hydronic heating, the other plumbing) performed work that was appropriately and fully inspected, but ultimately failed. This resulted in the unprecedented experience of two leaks in the same household occurring after the substantial completion of a year-long project. This was a horrible event for our clients and for my team, as the GC, to have to go through at the very conclusion of a significant project. It's unfortunate that the frustrations resulted in my company being given such a low rating, lumped in with shady operators and industry thieves. This project had numerous challenges, but we did not abandon our client, steal money, or perform sub-standard work.

One of these leaks flooded the basement of the household (that had not been renovated -- but a disaster nonetheless) and the other caused minor drywall damage, but required one of the showers in the home to be non-functional until a special part could be ordered. In the first instance, my entire company (including employees from 5 other build sites from around the city, and at one point 12 of my employees were assisting in the emergency) responded immediately to save the belongings of the client in their absence and ensure the unfortunate situation was quickly, and appropriately, handled. Remediation was paid for via a large insurance claim that the client opted to keep. The second leak, which our plumber claims to have been caused by an inappropriate handling/use of the fixture as a hold bar by the client, has resulted in a $2,000.00 expense for the special order of an entire shower unit for a $5 part that I have personally incurred to expedite the process, without any conversation regarding fault.

This review has been written in the midst of our resolving the second leak, communicating at least daily on the status of the repair, and literally doing everything in our power to resolve the situation. The frustration of these occurrences, happening at the end of a major renovation of a century home that had several unforeseen code-related challenges, is considerable and absolutely valid. That said, in a world where stories of true unethical and incompetent renovations and firms seem abundant, this type of review is hurtful. We cannot guarantee perfection across every project, but -- even when when faced with considerable challenges -- Greening Homes sticks through our projects to the end and we always ensure our work is completed properly, ethically, and to code.

kevin yeomans from East York
kevin yeomans from East York
1 review East York, ON

rear addition and basement reno

we had been planning a renovation and addition for some time and had consulted with several contractors and architects about the job. We were introduced to Greening Homes web site by another client and sought them out at the spring home show. During our initial meeting with a company representative (MC) we found their environmental and businesses practices suited our needs much better than anyone we had met with previously.
Once we engaged Chris and Steven on our project all that we had hoped for came into practice. There suggestions, support and skill led to renovation we anticipated.
They were extremely amenable to our ideas which were new to them, including building an ICF structure, which it turns out they became quite proficient at. Steven (crew manager) attended a construction seminar on how to build with the chosen ICF product and met with the supplier to ensure everything would come off without a hitch. It did.
The Greening team also worked extremely well with our selected consultants on drawings and engineering as well as some additional structural items that they were not directly responsible for. This ensured a timely job and quality results.
Another plus for us is their billing practice, which is completely transparent. They do not offer a fixed price bid and this may be a giant hurdle for many clients but we appreciate the fact that you are billed as work progresses and you know that when change orders occur whether by choice or circumstance, that you will not be shorted on quality or materials as is the case when a fixed price bid runs into obstacles.
I would without hesitation recommend their work and professionalism.

Bettina Hoar in Toronto
Bettina Hoar in Toronto

Full home renovation

Greening Homes is the embodiment of the integrity of its owner, Chris Phillips. They not only completed our full home renovation on time and with exceptional care and skill, but we actually had money left over in our budget to do some extra work (a back patio). Their crew are conscientious and considerate, knowledgeable about green building and skilled. I would use them again and have already recommended them to friends who have told me they are so glad I did. These guys (and gals) are the real deal.

maria jones from Old Toronto
maria jones from Old Toronto
1 review Old Toronto, ON

Adding a 3rd floor

I wanted to make a point to write a Review, I know how important it is to have the right Contracting Company when it comes to your home. If Greening Homes is a little more expensive then other Contracting Companies you have searched, let me assure you, they are worth every penny!!!! We would not have found another Company to have done a better job! They are very Proffessional and yet it is obvious they put their heart into the Job too. They do care about saving you money and communicate your options, their workers are not only highly qualified but very respectful while in your home. They completed the job within the timeline and our budget. They took down our Roof and built a whole new Support Structure for a 3rd floor, not just anyone can build a new Structure for another floor, they did an Excellent Job!!! We were so impressed with their workmanship, we wished we had enough money to have them complete the Interior.

We plan to build a house in the future, guaranteed we will be calling them back!!! Thank you Greening and all Staff!!! We miss having you around here too.
George and Maria.

julie.saunders
julie.saunders
11 reviews Scarborough, ON

Full home renovation

Greening Homes truly lives up to their slogan of “Renovations done responsibly.” They respected our budget limitations, encouraging us to reduce the initial scope of our plan to be more realistic. They also tracked our weekly progress against expenditures, and suggested opportunities for us to save money by performing labour ourselves when it was safe and reasonable to do so. They listened to our priorities and were helpful in maintaining the big picture focus on overall environmental impact, health implications of materials used, and energy efficiency. The crew was creative and flexible in terms of providing design recommendations, such as salvaging and re-using existing materials. The project manager went to bat with sub-contractors to oversee costs and maintain quality – we really felt that he worked for us, in our best interests. In the case of any mistakes or errors Greening Homes took responsibility immediately and offered appropriate compensation. They were very conscious of timeline considerations and worked hard to stick to their original prediction for completion. Communication was incredibly easy, with detailed daily email reports, in addition to phone calls and in-person meetings as needed. Overall we had a feeling of partnership; transparency in the entire process gave us confidence that their motivation was doing our renovation right, not maximizing profit.

Quinton in Cabaggetown
Quinton in Cabaggetown

Living room Renovation

After having our house renovated by the wrong company, we were fortunate enough to find Greening Homes Ltd. Their knowledge on green materials and building practicies was exceptional. They completed our renovation on time, they showed up when they said they would, when they left our place was spotless. They were extremly professional, and they finished the job on time and budget.

I will always reccomend this company to anyone renovating- they know what they're doing, and it helped put my mind at ease knowing I was getting the best green building materials and the builders that worked with the highest professionalism!

More about Greening Homes Ltd.

Greening Homes Ltd. is a full-service licensed green renovations contractor. We help homeowners and businesses to create healthier and more energy efficient places to live and work. We are holistically sustainable in our approach and specifically trained in green building techniques. Our renovations projects range from bathroom remodelling to full ...
Looking for Green Products & Services pros in Parkdale?