Carmor Construction

Reviews for Carmor Construction

Al in TO
Al in TO

Deck

My 2nd floor deck was tilting because of a rotten support post and beam. We were worried that it was going to fall! I got a few quotes, including one from Rob. His quote was competitive and, just as important, he gave me the sense that he was upfront and reliable (e.g. he answered his phone, showed up as promised, gave a quote as promised...believe it or not, other companies didn't even do that much!!). So I went with Rob and wasn't disappointed. He kept me updated what was happening. When unexpected things came up, he was fair in his pricing. He completed the work as promised and I am happy with the quality. I would hire him again and in fact already called him to ask if he could do some more work for me.

Thanks for the review Al it was a pleasure to work with you.

designerjenn in Toronto
designerjenn in Toronto

Front Porch Rebuild in Roncesvalles

I hired Carmor Construction to rebuild my sinking & shabby porch last spring. Part of it had already been rebuilt very poorly the floor was severely sunken on one side. I wanted to maintain a heritage character of my home & knew he had done other heritage projects in the area. When Rob, the owner came out to discuss the job he took the time to talk about all the details & even drove me around to see a couple of nearby projects he had worked on. We discussed options for finishing & wood choices. Rob is very easy to talk to, works meticulously & cares about client satisfaction.

The plan was to replace the railings, steps & floor & ceiling. Once the old porch was demolished we discovered that the supports were rotten so they had to be replaced as well. In addition, it turned out that when the brick posts had been rebuilt (before I owned the house) they were not built in the exact same position as the original ones so there were some challenges with alignment to the roof. As rebuilding the brick again was not in the budget, Rob came up with another solution. He was able to shore up the facade of the roof supports & you can hardly tell that it isn't perfectly centred.

When it was all done, he instructed me on how to sand, prep & paint it myself. I spent a lot of this past summer, sanding, caulking & painting the porch. I didn't quite get it finished before the weather got too chilly to paint & am looking forward to finishing the top portion & replacing the shingles & eaves troughs this spring. PIcs are below.

Thanks for the opportunity to work on your project. I enjoyed our chats and I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

Marek in Toronto
Marek in Toronto

Verandah restoration

My parents' verandah was in very poor shape. Support posts had sunk and started leaning. The roof was detaching from the home and leaning to one side. Rob rebuilt two support posts, fixed the third, rebuilt the verandah, added wooden stairs and railings and fixed the brickwork on the front of the house. My parents and I were impressed with Rob's skills and experience. My mother said that "he measured, he measured again, he measured a third time and then cut. Everything fit perfectly. My father, who is never happy, said "I could drive a tank on this verandah it is so solid" Absolutely recommend Carmor Construction.

Thanks Marek for the lovely review but the truth is I have seldom worked for nicer people than your parents. The home made carrot cake and coffee where great and your Dad just expects to be treated fairly.
Give your parents my best.

Pam in U'ville
Pam in U'ville

Basement Finishing

Rob is a thorough professional and a gentleman. He is a finish carpenter who does the renovation himself with appropriate specialist trades people such as licensed electrician, spray foam insulation installer (a great suggestion from Rob - three years of enjoying our finished basement, we are very satisfied with insulation), etc subcontracted by him. He extremely meticulous about quality and aesthetics, as one would expect a finish carpenter to be. And the same is true for all the trades people he brought in for the job. Every guest who visits our basement compliments the workmanship that is evident in the finish. Rob makes excellent, practical design alteration suggestions along the way and always negotiates reasonably for any changes in price from the original estimates. There is always unforeseen in a renovation process but overall Rob's estimates were accurate.

The address

Robert from Toronto
Robert from Toronto

Consultation -

Rob was a consummate professional in providing us with a consultation regarding a number of prospective projects at our 1920's built home. He was responsive, timely, and friendly in all of our interactions with him, and provided a fair approximation of the work, and cost, that would be required to update and expand upon our home. We look forward to working with him on our project(s) in the future.

DowntownTO in Toronto
DowntownTO in Toronto

Front porch reno downtown Toronto

Rob and his guys did a complete tear down and new build of our front porch and porch roof (as you can see in the before and after photos). We had a small, dilapidated porch and steps that we wanted to replace with something larger and nicer that suited our needs -- including having enough space for our bikes and a re-orientation of the stairs. Rob did the job in spectacular fashion.

To start, he's friendly, up-front, and honest, a real pleasure to collaborate with. We came to him with basic architect's drawings and city permits, and worked with him to finalize the design details like types of wood for the deck, style of railings and columns, etc.

In terms of workmanship you couldn't ask for better. Rob has decades of experience, and it shows. He is a perfectionist who takes great pride in his craft -- he personally picked out the best boards of pine to use in the frame and sourced some absolutely lovely hardwood for the deck, and was conscientious about meeting the city inspector's requirements while building a new porch that was beautiful down to the last details. We've had many compliments on it from neighbours and passersby!

In fact, because we had such a great relationship with Rob, while he was in the middle of doing the porch, we asked if he could also build us a small storage shed and bench for our back patio. Loved these as well!

Please note: Because Carmor's specialty is wood construction, to keep costs down, we hired a painter to paint the framing for the front porch and we stained the deck ourselves -- so please excuse the bits of green painter's tape we hadn't yet removed. We also used a separate landscaper to redo the front yard and fence.

nathan from Richmond Hill
nathan from Richmond Hill
2 reviews Richmond Hill, ON

New Porch

Rob and his team did an amazing job with building our new porch. Worked hard to meet time and deadline. Rob always made suggestions and discussed different options before proceeding. Would recommend to anyone looking to build a new porch.

Tobey in Toronto
Tobey in Toronto

Whole porch rebuild

Rob and his guys did a great job on my porch. This was not a straightforward porch as I am attached on one side and both brick pillars needed to be rebuilt. Securing my two story porch when my neighbour wasn't interested in rebuilding her side created a bit of a challenge. These guys handled it beautifully. I now have a lovely historic looking porch that is solid! I had a difficult time finding someone to take on the job and I am happy that I found Rob, they handled everything with ease. Rob and his guys do lovely work and they are worth the cost.

Peter from Toronto
Peter from Toronto

Porch Canopy

Robert Morrell was very professional to work with. The job was nicely done on time and on budget. Robert also made good suggestions that helped keep the cost reasonable. I would highly recommend Carmor Construction for your home renovation needs.

K.P. in Toronto
K.P. in Toronto

front steps

Carmor did wonderful work on my front steps. I would not hesitate to recommend Rob. He's friendly, honest and his craftsmanship is wonderful. The only hesitation I have is for those looking for work done immediately. It took 4 months from quote to project completion for a project that took 1.5 days, and my project began about 6-8 weeks later than had been agreed. Carmor is a very small company, and those looking for more immediate work should look elsewhere. For those willing, Rob's work is probably worth the wait.

More about Carmor Construction

Over 40 years of experience in the carpentry, design, and construction industry, serving home owners in South and Central Ontario.

In addition to our own professional services, we have created a network of other specialized tradespeople, each with a minimum of 20 years of experience. These trades include, but are not limited to plumbing, electrical, masonry, roofing, and HVAC. Our history with these trades ensures a smoother more comprehensive completion to your job.

We can provide that personal and professional touch for any project.

Personalized service one customer at a time!

Fully insured and licensed.