Winmar

Toronto ON

Reviews for Winmar

Lenora from Lady Lawn Care Inc
Lenora from Lady Lawn Care Inc

Did work without authorization and caused harm

After the recent wind storm Winmar was sent to my home by the insurance company to secure my roof. Without a signature on the document authorizing the work, they went ahead and did it anyways. So when I got home I had a arm full of stuff and stepped onto the shingles with nails still in them. I have not been able to speak to anyone at Winmar that has any clue about who is in charge. Not impressed.

Kitchen Renovation, fire and water damage

Winmar was hired after our house was subject to fire and water damage. The cleanup crew came quickly to assess the damages but when it came time to actually begin the demolition, sourcing, and rebuild of the kitchen and remainder of the affected areas they fell through on all counts. Delayed services, inexperienced sub-contractors with no site supervisor to ensure that the workers were even showing up to complete work or doing it with an inch of quality. Tiling was done so poorly my toes get snubbed walking around frequently, outlets were not tested and too close to water sources posing fire hazards. Dealing with them was a nightmare. Often I would call in for an update but a new supervisor would be dealing with our project. Save yourself the stress and go somewhere else!

Venilia  in San Francisco
Venilia in San Francisco

bathroom and flooring due to water damage

water damage with my flooring and with my bathroom... Jim from Winmar was amazing from the very beginning .. the workers where professional and very knowledgeable and clean. I would highly recommend this company... I thank every one involved in completed my project and a very special thank you to Jim who was heaven sent...

Jonathan Morris from Ottawa
Jonathan Morris from Ottawa
1 review Ottawa, ON

Restoration post flood

Winmar was recommended by our insurance, TD, after a flood damaged two floors of our house. Like an earlier reviewer, they were very efficient at the initial clean up and drying of the house. Their crew was prompt, courteous and efficient.
When it came time to repair the damage and different side of the company emerged. It seems that they hire low end, inexperienced sub-contractors to do this work. The drywall and painting downstairs was done fine, however, the painter didn't bother putting down drop cloths over everything, leaving paint splatters over many areas of the room, including musical instruments.

The finishing of the floor upstairs was much worse. In their first attempt, they forgot to apply the stain before finishing the floor. During their second attempt, they set fire to their car where they had stored the dust after sanding their first attempt off. When the floor was finished, they had clearly done a horrible job with it. There was a line down the middle of the floor where the colour was different on either side, and there were multiple blotches.

This is where their project manager comes in. First he tried to claim the paint splatter must have been from a previous paint job, since his guys would never do such a thing. Then, when shown the floor upstairs he tried to claim that it was shadows from the lighting in the room, or perhaps flaws in the original wood (a subsequent contractor confirmed that the floors had been done by someone without any real experience at sanding and finishing floors).

The project manager eventually agreed to refinish the floor, but I told him, I wanted a different subcontractor. These guys he had, were clearly not well suited to the job. He refused. I'm guessing because he had already paid them, and wouldn't find anyone else to do it as cheaply.

Eventually, I had to fire them, and hire another company to do it properly.

Lesson learned: don't take a recommendation from your insurance company. Shop around.

James from Toronto
James from Toronto
1 review Old Toronto, ON

Floor removal and installation

Winmar replaced our old, damaged flooring with new flooring. This was covered by our insurance provider (TD). They did a great job and our new floors look great. My only reason for not giving full marks is because the project manager was not very communicative and did not keep us up to date on what was happening. We had to make phone calls to coordinate their arrival, etc. It was a bit stressful. End result was good, though.

Becky P in Scarborough
Becky P in Scarborough
2 reviews Scarborough, ON

flood water demolition and content removal

This company was recommended by our insurance company TD to help with emergency clean-up services after we had a flood in our basement. Originally was very impressed with Winmar.They were quick on site, gave us a reasonable estimate for the work-, put our mind at ease, dropped-off some equiptment same day and then started the clean-up and removal of contents next day.
Ist Crew first few days were nice and professional.The good crew then got pulled off the job 4th day in and a new inexperienced , unprofessional crew was brought in. Did not seem to know the job, did not have any tools and unprepared. The next day different crew was better. My biggest issue with Winmar is now I have been provided the costs submitted by them to my insurance and the charges are astrinomical. The amount originally estimated and totals submitted today to insurance co was almost 2.5 times. If I had been told that just to move my saved items (nothing of great value-toys, knick knacks, books etc..)from my basement to a pod in my driveway was going to cost me over $13000, I would have said that is totally unreasonable-items are not even worth half that! I had a friend hire a moving company to sort, pack their house and move the whole contents to a new location and unpack for $4000. The demolition/clean up portion costs were another $14000. They even charge an overhead and profit of an additional 15% mark-up on top of the work costs-Guess they just are not making enough. This amount of $27000 is over 50% of my total coverage, still need to replace contaminated items (incl furniture, fridge, freezer, furnace and water tank) and rebuild. I have been told basically by the insurance, there is not going to be any replacement of contents money as the amount for this demo and rebuild will be over my alloted coverage. How can a company come in, justify charge these fees and think it's ok? I would definitely recommend to anyone, don't just accept what your insurance sends you, get everything including the estimate in writing before the work starts and ask for updates as the job is progressing. Other households in my neighbourhood in same predicament got different charges from their companies for similar work- too many discrepancies- no consistancies for these services.

Douglas W. in Toronto
Douglas W. in Toronto

Storm damage restoration

Winmar Toronto was contacted by my insurance company to provide restoration services to my storm damaged home. A flat roof was peeled back by high winds and driving rain permitting water to infiltrate from the third floor to the main floor. In addition, a property line fence was blown apart and knocked over. Inside, drywall, broadloom and laminate flooring were damaged due to rain water exposure.

After the first meeting I noted that the initial estimate had some deficiencies so they returned to re-estimate. Satisfied with the new estimate, I contracted them to perform the repairs. Although this is a tenanted property, Winmar coordinated the scheduling and management of the interior repairs with my tenants so it was a great convenience to me as I do not reside in Toronto. They respected my tenants’ schedules and worked around them without issue.

The quality of repair work was perfectly acceptable and they took great care in protecting and handling my tenants’ possessions. There were many value-added items I noted, throughout the job, performed at no extra charge (i.e. packing and moving tenant possessions which would not normally be covered). Any concerns were promptly addressed and handled without argument. The tenants were also impressed with the speed and efficiency of the workers. They also ensured that the apartments were left as clean as possible upon completion of the repairs and all debris removed at day’s end. Extras and upgrades, over and above the budget estimate, presented no problems.

My experience with Winmar Toronto was a very positive one and I would have no problem using them again if needed. Everyone including the estimators, office staff, project manager and the workers were courteous, informative and capable and I can confidently recommend their services.

brian  in North york
brian in North york
9 reviews North York, ON

complete basement restoration

This company cannot be rated high enough. my basement had a flood and insurance called them in. they helped clean, bag and list everything well past midnight. they did everything they needed to do, and then did some more, because they knew that it was needed in order to do a complete job

Albertine Dawn in the Beach
Albertine Dawn in the Beach

Replace finished basement after flood from broken pipe

This company was brought in by our household insurance TD, which should also get a great review for managing the damage.
The company followed up and managed the entire process from
drying, removing and completely replacing all damages. The space had only been renovated less then 10 years before.
It was the most painless renovation I have ever been through.
And we have done 5-6 major renovations to this