Tora Concrete And Construction

Tora Concrete And Construction

Reviews for Tora Concrete And Construction

T. Quinn in Calgary
T. Quinn in Calgary

Orazio and Tora Concrete - Exactly how a project should go!

We feel lucky to have found Orazio and Tora Concrete. Orazio is a true craftsman and professional, and we couldn't be happier with the result.
After a very long and drawn out fight with the builder of our house who did an awful job in the front (and really left us in a bad spot), it was so nice to deal with a company like Tora. Orazio and his crew did exactly what they said they would do, when they said they would do it, and for the exact price quoted.

It was an easy process dealing with Orazio. I sent in an email request for a quote along with some photos of the walkway we needed replaced. Orazio came that same night and I had the detailed estimate before I went to bed that day. Everything else from taking out the old walkway to putting in the new one was just as seamless. Even when we ran into some bad weather that delayed things a bit, Orazio came by the house just to reassure us that everything would be underway again as soon as the skies cleared, and they were....as promised.

The whole crew with Tora was great and they left the work site spotless each day. The new walkway even matches the colour and texture of the front steps so well (which the old walkway did not) it's hard to imagine they were done at separate times. Orazio had a great idea about getting rid of an extra step which we didn't need and widening the walkway to match the stairs...... and we are glad we listened to him.

I've attached a before and after set of photos. Yes - in the first picture of the old walkway, that is a giant piece of concrete the builder broke off the side, a giant crack between the walkway and landing, and finally .....yes - those are pieces of wood the builder used to try and level the concrete slabs (which are clearly two different colours).

In the second picture Orazio's work speaks for itself and I would not hesitate to recommend him and Tora Concrete to anyone that asks.

Tyler, thank you so much for your detailed review. We really appreciate the time and effort it took for you to write it. And thank you for following my advice - it's always so nice when your clients trust your experience.

Canadian53 in Calgary
Canadian53 in Calgary

Driveway/Sidewalk replacement

Required driveway and sidewalk replacement and decided at time to enlarge driveway. Saw Orazio year prior completing job and was so impressed contacted him for quote when I was ready.
He and his crew completed work to our desired specs and we were so pleased with the end result.
Many comments from neighbours and friends as well as complete strangers on the excellent job done on exposed aggregate
This was one perfect choice I made in choosing a contractor. Reliable, Honest, trusting---Thanks Orazio
Ray & Lori Daoust

Thank you, Ray and Lori! We are always happy to hear when friends and neighbours comment favourably on our work and appreciate, the care you take to choose a quality contractor. We enjoyed our time with you.

Derrick in Calgary
Derrick in Calgary

Front Walkway, Step and Landing

Found Tora concrete via a google search and checked their reviews here, on Homestars. Needless to say, I contacted them about doing my front walkway, steps and landing. Orazio gave me a reasonable quotation and a few week later the work began. Orazio and his crew were quite knowledgeable and worked hard to get the job done right. I now have the nicest exposed aggregate concrete in the neighborhood and have received several compliment from neighbors as well as complete strangers. Thanks Orazio, job well done!
Derrick in Beddington

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review. We are happy to hear you are getting a good response. And we really appreciate your acknowledgment that we care about our work.

LM
LM

Replacement of Driveway and Sidewalk

Our 20+ year old driveway in a recently purchased home was sunken and crumbling in areas. We checked out various other options to lift, repair and resurface it but we didn’t feel a lot of confidence the results would be anything more than money spent for a short term fix.

Then I noticed Tora Concrete’s favorable reviews and contacted the company for a quote to get the driveway replaced. We were very impressed. It’s a small company and the owner is extremely knowledgeable and actively involved in all phases. He diagnosed our driveway’s underlying issue prior to removal and sure enough he was right. We were also advised to consider replacement of the sidewalk adjacent to the driveway and we’re glad we did because there’d have been a very unsightly colour difference between old and new. The entire crew was awesome, the results are outstanding and a huge improvement our home’s curb appeal. It was definitely worth the wait to rise to the top of their otherwise hectic schedule and hands down, I highly recommend Tora Concrete before considering anyone else.

Thank you for your review! We appreciated your willingness to accept our suggestions, and are very pleased you are happy with the work. We also appreciate your patience. Maintaining the quality of work I want to provide requires I am on site, which means we do fewer jobs. But we think the results are worth it. You guys were awesome - thanks again.

BM
BM

Sidewalk replacement

I had many choices and estimates provided to me from using Homestar’s online service and after due diligence in researching, I settled on Tora Concrete.
I got a good feeling from meeting with Arazio, that this was the guy with the experience to get the job done properly.
Arazio and his crew worked their asses off and I get nothing but compliments from all the neighbours and friends that drop by.
It was a pleasure having the crew on site, very professional, friendly and responsible.
I would gladly recommend Tora Concrete to anyone that asked me. Very happy with the work, not even the slightest issue with any single aspect of the work.

Thanks for taking the time to post such a great review! I am pleased you (and your friends and neighbours) are happy with the work. My crew and I do take care to ensure the work is done properly, with as little disruption as possible, and leave the site looking like we'd never been there (except for the new concrete, of course!).

Doug in Calgary
Doug in Calgary

Sidewalk

After reading reviews on home stars for concrete contractors, I chose Tora Concrete. Called Orazio & after he came out I hired him on the spot after talking to him & getting a quote for the job. I didn't even bother getting quotes from other contractors. Quote was very reasonable for the size of the job with a few extras thrown in at no charge. Orazio really knows concrete & has been in business more than 30yrs. He said he was working about a month out & in 5 weeks his crew showed up to start the job. The side walk I was getting was about 130 feet long with a small 7x7 pad in the back. After 4 days of removing old concrete slabs & getting everything ready to pour the concrete the rain came. Unfortunately there is no control over the weather & the concrete got delayed 1 week. The end result was a beautiful sidewalk. Job site was cleaned up & my wife & I are really happy with our new sidewalk. Don't hesitate to call Orazio with Tora Concrete if you need any concrete work done, you won't be disappointed.

Doug, thanks for taking the time to provide us with a great review. It was truly a pleasure to work on your project as we were very well taken care of by you and your wife. The sandwiches, fruit, and drinks were unexpected and greatly appreciated! We hope you both enjoy the sidewalk for many years to come.

Mixed Concrete Pad and Walkways

Tora Concrete were very professional, kept the job site tidy, and were responsive to questions and requests. This team were also exceptionally hardworking. The access to my backyard is quite limited and so digging out the old cement, leveling the ground and pouring the new pad and walkway were all done by hand rather than with machines. Further, they seem to be quite skilled as they poured an aggregate pad with brushed concrete borders and walkways to match the existing walkways along the side of the house. I think the work turned out quite well. It looks beautiful and has stood up very well over the last year.

Thank you for your review and for the detailed description of the work done on your project. Your time and effort are greatly appreciated!

M Hammel in Calgary
M Hammel in Calgary

Don't hesitate to hire Tor Concrete

I could not have been more pleased with how my project turned out. Orazio is very experienced and did what he said he would do, when he said he would do it. Very professional with an attention to detail; your project will be in good hands!

Thank you for your review! We love working with clients who trust us enough to leave the project in our hands and glad you are happy with the end result. The time you took to write a review is greatly appreciated.

Cliff in Calgary
Cliff in Calgary

New Driveway

Orazio is a true craftsman who did a beautiful job rebuilding my driveway and adding a new front stairway. There were some delays but few people understand how complex even a relatively small project can be for a concrete contractor. Weather can have a significant impact on scheduling as you cannot pour concrete in the rain. As well the cement industry in Alberta is basically controlled by 3 huge companies so everyone must buy from them. Right now the cement companies are extremely busy due to all the road construction so can also cause scheduling problems as small jobs are normally lower priority for any ready-mix delivery, leading to further delays for the crew on site. In any event Orazio’s Company Tora Concrete showed up to do the job when two others didn’t even call me back and completed the entire job in 3 days.

Thank you for your highly insightful review, Cliff. I appreciate you sharing the conditions facing contractors, which coupled with the extreme difficulty in finding reliable, skilled workers and the short work season, makes it challenging to always meet clients' timeline expectations. However, clients like you make it all worthwhile.

Jian in Calgary
Jian in Calgary

Side walk and back yard patio

Orazio and his crew from Tora replaced our side walk and back yard patio and we are extremely happy with the result! It's a relatively big home concrete project, with over 60ft long side walk and around 600 square feet patio! Our house is in an established neighborhood and that pose some challenges. The existing side walk and patio are all big 24X30 slabs, which are really really heavy. We have a basement window well along the side walk, which is lowest spot on that side of the house. Our basement got flooded a few times during heavy rain fall. Besides, our back yard is all fenced off, so big equipment (such as Bobcat loaders) can't get in, most of excavation and concrete work have to be done by shovel and wheelbarrow. In addition, our house has an extended roof that are supported by three posts sitting on the big slabs, which we wanted to replace. Did I mention we have a big hot tub sitting on patio as well?

Orazio is very nice and willing to help. I've never hired any concrete contractor in the past so I reached out to a few concrete contractors with great reviews online to get some quote for my side walk and back yard patio. They all initially responded. Once most of contractors that I contacted got more details on my project via emails, never heard from them again, even after a few follow-ups, they didn't even bother to give me a rough estimate through email. Only Orazio actually went on site, did walk through and made measurement. Also, he made some very good recommendations on how to fix my basement flooding issue and on the design of the side walk and patio. Orazio mentioned that it could take about 3 weeks to start the project depend on the weather, and he started the project right around that time! We were also looking at a few different options such as stamped concrete vs. exposed aggregates. After talking to Orazio, with his expert opinion and experience, we eventually went with exposed aggregates due to the natural beauty of the type and also the slippery concerns with stamped concrete in the winter in our situation, which turns out very nice!

Orazio is not only the expert in the concrete field, but also he has a lot of knowledge in other area of construction. He designed the side walk in such way that my basement window well would never get flooded ever again from the heavy rain fall. Also, he and his crew took care of the posts that support the extended roof, put up the temporary posts and removed all the slabs underneath to have a good foundation for the new patio, then installed the new posts. In addition, he took care of the hot tub as well, moved it off the patio and get slabs removed underneath!

Orazio and his crew are very dedicated and work very hard. Orazio was on site entire time throughout the whole project with his crew to make sure every step was done properly. As I mentioned earlier, the crew had to remove all those super heavy slabs by hands and excavate manually with shovel and wheelbarrows. That's more than eighty 24X30 slabs and a full dump truck load of dirt! Couldn't imagine how would they be able to handle that in two days but they did it! One thing I have to point out, in order to get the aggregates properly exposed, Orazio and crew came on site at 1:30AM in the early morning, after already a long day of tiring work pouring concrete, worked until 4 AM to finish the process and still came later that day to do the clear-ups, that's what we called dedication, professionalism and excellent services!

Tora would definitely be my go to contractor for any concrete work. I highly recommend that you consider Tora for any concrete work, at least give them a try to see for yourself how great they are!!

Jian, thank you so much for your thoughtful, extremely kind review. What a joy it was to work for you! You were not only trusting and easy to work with, you kept us well hydrated with cold drinks and energized with snacks all day long. Thank you, and I hope you enjoy the work we did for you for many years to come.

More about Tora Concrete And Construction

Tora Concrete Ltd. was founded in Calgary in 1989, and is still owned and operated by the original founder. The company has developed a reputation for excellent service and workmanship – adding beauty and increasing the value of many homes and businesses in the Calgary area over the past two decades.

Tora specializes in decorative finishes such as exposed aggregate concrete, stamped or decorative concrete, and broom-finished concrete – all in a wide range of colours. We work with the best suppliers and skilled craftsmen to create sidewalks, patios, driveways, steps and other concrete projects that reflect your style and vision, and complement your home or business.