HomeStars  >  Builders in Calgary  >  Trico Homes Inc

Reviews for Trico Homes Inc

Joseph in Calgary
Joseph in Calgary

Airdrie

When my wife and I were relocating we looked at around 60-70 houses before we saw a Trico built house, and then we looked no further. We knew we had found a place where we would call home, a home where we would welcome our first child. The builders were very obliging in getting the basement finished and everything was tasteful and ready for us to move in. Though we’ve owned properties in the past, this is our first brand new home and we are pleased with the workmanship. Thank you Trico and keep up the good work !

Thank you Joseph for taking the time to write a Homestars Review! We are so thrilled that you chose Trico Homes after looking at 60-70 homes. We hope that you and your family enjoy your beautiful home and community. Please do not hesitate to contact the warranty department at any time if you have questions or concerns. Nicole Walker, Customer Relations Manager

Ricardo Bravo from Calgary
Ricardo Bravo from Calgary

Beware

I had my house built from Trico and right from the start we noticed a big temperature discrepancy from one side of the house to the other.
We thought this was odd and no matter what we did nothing seemed to help.
We contacted Trico and they sent out their technician to look into it. He gave us a couple of tips (keep the doors open, directing the air flow, etc) but nothing seemed to help.
I spoke to a few different companies that did insulation. They said that it was not uncommon for builders to neglect or forget to put insulation on walls or that it could be just a design flaw of the house itself (positioning of the furnace within the house, etc). Both these insulating experts also agreed that the only way for me to find out exactly what was happening with the temperature in my house and why the heat was not evenly distributed was with infrared cameras.
I spoke with the warranty coordinator for my community within my first year’s warranty and she Agreed to do the assessment, however that year we had a mild winter and I was told the temperature had to be -20 in order for them to do so.
Once the temperature dropped again I tried contacting Trico but nobody was giving me any answers as there was no warranty Coordinator for my community anymore and Trico had stopped building there. After multiple phone calls an e mails I finally got a phone call back from one of the warranty coordinators (Theresa) and she refused to do the assessment claiming my warranty was now over and that Trico never agreed to do the assessment in the first place.
I got in touch with the person in charge of customer relations (Nicole) and after explaining to her that I had documented trough e mails Trico agreeing to do the assessment she decided to go ahead an honor the assessment I was promised.
I was put in touch with one of the warranty coordinators named Amber. Once again I was promised once the temperature dropped the Issue would be looked into by a company called “Advantage Heating”.
She also mentioned I would be getting a letter outlining this.
After not receiving the letter and inquiring about it I received an email from Amber with the following statement;
“In regards to the letter, I have looked into this for you. Unfortunately this letter has not been drafted yet, however until you receive the letter please use this email as confirmation that Trico will return to assess the cold bedroom when temperature drops.”
Once winter came around Trico never contacted me and neither did I contact them as I got busy with life just like everybody else and now I now have a mortgage to pay.
I contacted Trico again (it’s been 2 winters since I was last promised the assessment done by a heating company) with the hope they will honor the agreement we had, just to be told, you never called us it is now been too long.

It is frustrating to have to use electric heaters in your baby’s room just so they can sleep trough the night in a house that you paid almost 600k for.

Now, this is not the only Issue that Trico neglected to take care of even though I brought it up within the first year but it is the biggest one.
I had a fire place built in my bedroom and every time I light it up, it stinks up the room. I was told it will get better eventually as it was brand new, but we already now what happens eventually…
I could talk about the scratch the Trico tech left on my Door that I was also promised it will be fixed, the exterior hot water tap not working, etc.
The lesson here is if you do decide to build with Trico make sure you decide when stuffed gets fixed not them…If you leave it up to them they will most likely tell you, let’s do it later or it will get better on its own, chances are it never will..

Trico Homes takes feedback very seriously so I looked into this matter and the history of your file when it was brought to my attention. At the start of this concern, the warranty department made arrangement's for a service technician to meet with you and conduct a thorough inspection of your home and heating system. He took the temperature readings of each room and explained how to regulate the heat from one room to another. It's not uncommon to have some rooms that colder than others especially those over the garage since there is a cold air space below. All our homes are inspected by the City of Calgary and have passed all building cold requirements. Yes, an infrared camera does show the installation behind the interior walls and will indicate if insulation is missing. Based on all our inspections were are confident the insulation has been installed as per the building code requirements. With that said; I did recently offer to send our senior service technician to your home. He is very knowledgeable and if he deemed a camera was required we were more than willing to have that done. If you would like to proceed with that inspection, please let me know. I would be happy to set that up. Nicole Walker, Customer Relations Manager

Jamie in Calgary
Jamie in Calgary

Wonderful in Riverstone

This was the fourth new home build I've been involved in, and our 1st Trico home. From our very first visit to the show-home in Riverstone we felt confident Trico could build us the right home for the right price, and they delivered.
Carmen De Luca, the Area Sales Manager, was an absolute joy to work with. Throughout the process Carmen addressed every single concern in a professional and timely manner, we felt very fortunate to have such a positive, enthusiastic yet honest rep to work with.
Our home was originally slated to be a spec home which presented challenges due to previously established finishes etc, changes had to made to suit our requirements and personal tastes. Each change and update was addressed with the utmost professionalism and thoroughness.
The building process wasn't without its challenges, however every issue was expertly dealt with by, Carmen, (Drew the construction manager) and Selene (with the Trico design center team). Ultimately the details were sorted and our house turned out as good, if not better than expected. The overall fit and finish, along with the possession dates / walk thru's / site reviews and ultimately post move in service, (including) all sub trades, has been stellar.
If I have one word of advice it would be to add a bit of time to the finishes selection process, there are many important decisions and possible upgrades to consider in a relatively short period of time.

It's wonderful in Riverstone!

All the best,
Jamie and Karen Treadgold

Thank you Jamie for taking the time to write a Homestars review and trusting Trico Homes to build your new home! Carmen De Luca is an amazing sales person. She was chosen as one of the top 5% sales people in North America that has delivered exceptional customer service. This outstanding achievement was determined by Avid Ratings the survey company that works with most builders in the US and Canada. She was invited down to Florida to accept the award. Check out her interview on Trico's Facebook page. I'm so happy to hear that all the challenges you faced were sorted out and addressed. We will take your advice noted above and I will share with the opts team. Please do not hesitate to contact the warranty department at anytime. Nicole Walker, Customer Relations Manager

Trico Home review in Airdrie
Trico Home review in Airdrie
1 review Airdrie, AB

Trico Home review

We bought a home from Trico homes and have been very happy with the home, service and their tradespeople. With the new home there were some small issues which were scheduled and acted upon in a timely manner. We also had an issue with the cement driveway which was identified by Trico and we were told that it would be addressed. As it turned out it was decided to Sandblast the driveway. This was scheduled and completed in the time frame that was stated. As this is a very dusty process the Trades people talked with our neighbors to have their cars parked away from the work area. Then at the end the trades cleaned our driveway along with our neighbors.
We have now had our three month walk thru and the gentleman was very helpful. As on the original walk thru there is a lot of information it was excellent to have the gentleman in so that we could get clarification on the mechanical, plumbing and the upkeep of all the new items in the house.
This is not our first new home but this has been the best customer service we have received in the purchase of a home.

Jamie Phillips

Thank you for taking the time to write a Homestars review. We are so pleased to hear that you are very happy with your home, service and tradespeople. When issues arise it is our goal to address them in a timely manner. I can see by reading your comments this was done. Sandblasting can get messy so it's great to hear that the trades people talked to the neighbors and cleaned up afterwards. When we meet with you it's so important that we are helpful and informative ensuring we deliver excellent customer service. We are always here to answer any questions or concerns you many have, so please do not hesitate to contact the warranty department at anytime. Nicole Walker, Customer Relations Manager

karentricofan in Calgary
karentricofan in Calgary

New Home Purchase

In April of this year, my family and I decided it was time to buy a new home. It was our first time home shopping and we quickly fell in love with the Community of Nolan Hills. On our first day of walking into the Show Homes in Nolan Hills, we had spent 5 hours walking through all the show homes. Trico Homes was the final one before we decided to end our day. Upon walking into Trico Homes, we quickly feel in love with one of the Show Homes. The wonderful staff asked if we would like to view a Quick Possession, and although we were tired from all the walking, we were happy to. As it was a Sunday, and most of the other staff in the other Show Homes didn't have enough staff to show us the Quick Possessions in person. The first Quick Possession we walked into we decided it was the one. We loved Trico Homes open floor plans and they gave very responsible pricing. We immediately told Trico Homes that this is the one! It was all very exciting, and Trico Homes staff was very patient with us as it was our first home and we had no idea how to apply for mortgage, sell our current home, and etc. Trico Homes provided us with all the contacts and patiently explained to us what our next steps are. July came our possession date, and till this date I am very satisfied with their service and quick responses. When my family and I decide to move again in the near future, we will definitely buy another home built by Trico.

Donna Hammond from Calgary
Donna Hammond from Calgary

My Dream Condo

I have been searching for a condo since last year. Finally I found the one " Viridian Condos " on Sage Hill. I'm was so impressed with the service I got from the sales rep not to mention how beautiful my condo is. The workmanship is exquisite flooring cupboard doors everything is just what I always wanted. Not to mention the minor things that needed to be adjusted were done very quickly this to me is great service.. The landscaping is Beautiful but most of all everything is within walking distance a wonderful area.I'm very very happy here. I would highly recommend Trico Homes !

Thank you Donna for taking the time to write a Homestars review! The Viridian Condos in Sage Hill are so nice! I love the views and architecture inside and out. It's great to hear we address your concerns in a timely manner. Thank you for recommending Trico Homes. Please do not hesitate to contact the warranty department at anytime. Nicole Walker, Customer Relations Manager

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

Belmont, Calgary

we booked our house and paid the amount we have to pay after few days they called us to sign final house plan and the house plan was totally different then template that they show us before, the square ft was smaller and when we asked compensation to continue the process they count the sq ft and then they said they will just give us $1300.00 back from house price, I don't get that idea because if we want to add that much sq ft they will definitely charge me more then they are offering us.

Thank you for your feedback. Trico Homes takes feedback very seriously and I have looked into this matter. When customers visit our showhome we often provide them with a package of specifications and brochures to take home. Because our homes are ever evolving and changes to improve the model or adjustments to square footage happen regularly, we ensure that the following statement is noted at the bottom of the brochure: "Dimensions, pricing etc are subject to change. Renderings are artist's conceptions only and may vary by community and lot selection. Prices, floorplans, specifications and dimensions are approximate and are subject to change without notice. E.O.E. © All rights reserved, including the right if reproduction in the whole or in part without the permission of Trico Homes". Trico Homes has built over 9000 homes and has handed out thousands of brochures throughout the years. While we recognize the brochure has a clause, we want to ensure customer satisfaction; therefore we worked with you to provide the most square footage as possible by adding a cantilever at no cost extra cost. In addition, we offered a $1,300 cash difference for the square footage we could not account for. We want to sincerely apologize for this misunderstanding. Our Sales Manager would be happy to meet with you again if you would like to discuss this matter further. Please feel free to contact him at 403-287-9300. Nicole Walker, Customer Relations Manager

CZ In Crestmont in Calgary
CZ In Crestmont in Calgary

Crestmont New Build

This is our first and last build with Trico. We've had a few issues with our new build. Upon meeting with the site supervisor, I remember the words "I'm looking after 14 other homes so come by often". This did not leave us feeling that the construction would get the quality supervision it needs.

Among others:

1. Rainware/soffit/fascia was wrong colour. This came from a dispute between Qualico and Trico and unfortunately was not relayed to us. This was a significant design change that we could not change once identified.

2. Kitchen cooktop not installed prior to possession day. The cooktop was on backorder, even though it was ordered 8 months prior. Ultimately waited an additional 3 weeks to fully use the kitchen.

3. Drywallers nailed into the upstairs drain pipe, which leaked significantly into the basement (good thing our basement was not finished). After repairing the pipe/drywall/paint there was no Trico Technician inspection to catch that the washing machine drain pipe was not installed after the repair. This was not caught and caused further significant flooding on the upstairs floor which flowed through the kitchen pot lights leaving some water stains.

4. Garage mudding/taping is of very poor quality and is obvious after it was painted.

5. Pantry trim is clearly not level by ~ 1/2 inch. Trico Warranty & Service rep says this is "acceptable".

6. Sidewalk in front of driveway was obliterated during construction. Something that Trico says Qualico will eventually replace. This is hazardous when driving my motorcycle over and is a general tripping hazard for pedestrians.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. I immediately looked into your concerns with each department. In speaking with the site supervisor his intent was to advise you that he was the project manager of other homes and that you were welcome to come by and see the home at anytime; provided it was approved by the sales team. This site supervisor has been working with Trico Homes for approximately 8 years and has been in the industry for over 20 years. He is very qualified and always pays special attention to each and every home. He was very pleased on possession day as the home only had one deficiency. I also looked into the rainware/soffit/fascia colors with our drafting department. As you know, all communities have exterior color guidelines that are regulated by the developer. When the drafting department submitted the original color (white) the developer denied and approved a different color. Unfortunately, we have no control over their selection and the final approval was determined by the developer. In regards to the kitchen cook top, yes it was delayed by the manufacture which is very disappointing. I've been advised that Coast Appliances did offer an upgrade or re-selection but you opted out. I can understand that you expected and desired the original selection; therefore you preferred to wait. We are so sorry that you had to wait. Coast has been speaking with the manufacture to ensure this doesn't happen again. I contacted the warranty department regarding the leak and they confirmed that arrangements were made to repair. It was very unfortunate that the drain hose was not put back into place when the machine was pushed in. It was our intention to be there during this repair but the dates and times did not align with your schedule; therefore we proceeded with the repairs. Regarding workmanship/quality, Trico Homes follows the Government of Alberta warranty guidelines. All workmanship is measured against that criteria when concerns are brought to our attention. Please know that Trico Homes takes customer feedback very seriously. I want to assure you that you have a well built home and care/attention was given at every stage of construction. Please do not hesitate to contact the warranty department at anytime. Nicole Walker, Customer Relations Manager

Shariq in Calgary
Shariq in Calgary

Evanscrest Park NW

Our experience as a first time home buyer with Trico was great. It could have been better if we minus the constructions delays but Taylor Blanchard from Trico helped us out a lot from the start till the end. Here is why we are happy with Trico and specially with Taylor;
1-) We paid a booking deposit to another builder before going with Trico, Taylor's exceptional customer service made us to switch to Trico and cancel the booking with the other builder.
2-) Trico gives a step by step update about the home construction and has a lot of building options so you can customize your home the way you want.
3-) At the end, we had issues to release the funds for the possession on time due to construction delays. Trico could have charged us around $450 per day but thanks to Taylor they didn't.
No doubt, constructing a home from scratch is not easy but I would highly recommend Taylor to anyone whose thinking about it. She will make the whole process easy so you could be a happy home buyer at the end like we are :).

Vani in Calgary
Vani in Calgary

Beautiful new home purchase

Trico is a wonderful company for making homes.
We loved to work with our area sales manager Erin and sales associate Kristy both.
Erin worked very hard to address our requirements and put that into action.She was always very co-operative with us and she had done her all efforts to made us happy by putting our needs into blue prints.
Kristy was the person who always gave us right
information and she brought everything into notice to area manager whatever we had concerns .
Troy is the best who turned our dreams into reality by his excellent service in building and construction of home.
I highly recommend people to go with Trico for making home.

Thank you Vani for taking the time to write a Homestars Review. We are so happy to hear that our staff was co-operative in ensuring your dreams came true! Also, thank you for recommending Trico Homes. Please do not hesitate to contact the warranty department at anytime. Nicole Walker, Customer Relations Manager

More about Trico Homes Inc

Homestars Profile

Since 1992, Trico Homes has built new single and multi-family homes, offering a diverse selection of starter, move-up and semi-estate homes in Calgary, Cochrane and Airdrie. Whether you're looking for a quick possession or something more personalized, Trico’s team of dedicated staff will ensure you’ll find the perfect house to call home.

Over the past 25 years, Trico Homes has built a well-established reputation and is recognized as one of Calgary's top residential builders. With a history of innovation, integrity and community support, we're proud to have built over 9,000 single and multi-family homes. Trico has received numerous accolades, including a Platinum member as one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies, Canada’s Best Workplaces, Canada’s Best Workplaces for Women, a SAM award and a CHBA Excellence in Housing award. As a B Corporation, the company has also received a B Corp Best for the World award and a Trailblazer award.

At Trico, We start every single day with one goal in mind; to deliver incredible life-changing moments. We know Calgarians have choices when buying a home. That’s why we’ve built a company that builds so much more than quality houses.

We’ve built culture. It’s in our DNA. Pride, passion and commitment to deliver on our promises to not only our homeowners, but to one another. It resonates in everything we do, and every single Trico employee lives and breathes our core values.

We’ve built a reputation of trust and integrity by not only treating every client and employee like family, but by giving back to our community; we truly believe in not just doing well, but doing good.

And yes, we’ve built some of the best houses in Calgary along the way by never being complacent, and by engaging in strategies and processes that ensure continuous growth and improvements in design, quality and functionality.

We’re committed to our industry and our city. We want to make our mark. To become a legacy company. We do more than develop quality homes. We help develop the place we call home.

Trico Homes. The Heart of Homebuilding.®

New Home Builder, New Homes, Condos, Townhomes,
Single-Family Homes, Multi-Family Homes, Apartments, New Condo Projects, New Condo Development, New Communities.

North West Communities