Totem Appliance & Refrigeration Ltd

Appliance Repair
5950 Imperial St Burnaby BC V5J 4M2
HomeStars  >  Appliance Repair in Burnaby  >  Totem Appliance & Refrigeration Ltd

Reviews for Totem Appliance & Refrigeration Ltd

Ted from Burnaby
Ted from Burnaby
2 reviews Burnaby, BC

Dryer heating repair

The tech arrived and it was an easy fix. It only took one hour to do the entire repair. The repair involved easily replacing the heating element which was a part that could just be snapped out and replace with a new one much like you would replace your smoke detector. I was charged their minimum one hour diagnostic charge plus an additional hour. The cost of labour was $245. The part was $113. I also spent time helping him turn the power on and off so he didn’t have to go up and down two flights of stairs. Anyway I feel I was overcharged beyond belief for the labor. I will not be using their services again. It would make more sense to take that money and have my appliances replaced .

Thank you for your feedback. We follow the North American Flat Rate guide for our pricing, we do not charge by time spent on the job. I am sorry that you thought our trip charge included the first hour, but it simply covers our trip to your home and a diagnostic of the appliance. The technician may make a job look simple, but please note that he is a journeyman who has been honing his craft for many years; he knows how to repair your appliance efficiently and effectively. Our pricing does reflect our cost of operating a service company in the Metro Vancouver area, we feel that our level of service is very high compared to others in our industry and we take pride in being able to deliver this to our customers. If our quality of service did not meet your expectations please reach out to us at [email protected], thank you again. Totem Management.

Washer in Surrey
Washer in Surrey
1 review Surrey, BC

Washer

Charge me $600 to fix the washer and labour for 45 minutes for the labour $400 then the washer didn't even get fixed I had to go to the laundromat on the weekend because they have no weekend service. Don't give them your money rip off

tyler wenman in Burnaby
tyler wenman in Burnaby
1 review Burnaby, BC

Samsung Refrigerater

Had the service guy come out, he was very friendly, efficient, and on time. I would recommend them to anyone with a Samsung fridge, as they can be difficult to fix. This was under warrenty so price is not accurate.

Thank you Tyler!

1 review Richmond, BC

Fridge repair

This is one of only 2 companies that services Samsung fridges. They were able to have a tech come out the same day my fridge went down. Unfortunately, they did not have the parts in stock and had to return another day. The first diagnosis was incorrect as after 12 hours my fridge stopped working again. It would have been better for them to try multiple swaps of parts to rule out certain issues, as in all they had to make a total of 4 trips to my place.

However, I am still giving them a 4 out of 5 as the tech did everything to ensure the costs were minimal and answered a lot of technical questions I had. Also, the second time my fridge stopped working they sent a tech the same day again.

The service charge is higher than some of the other companies but I don't mind this because it means that I was not charged additionally for their returning visits and labor is not billed by the hour but by job. So even though the first diagnosis was incorrect, which I think was somewhat unavoidable due to the unusual root cause of my fridge issue, I did not incur any extra charges.

The service charge is good for 30 days - so if something goes faulty in the meantime and they need to return you don't pay more which is great because I don't feel like I'm being taken advantage of on cost of labor.

The tech was very courteous and would phone me in the morning to let me know when they would arrive. He also made a very appreciated effort to come back as soon as possible knowing that I have a medical condition that makes not having a fridge very difficult.

Only negative is that they don't service on the weekends so would be a pain if you have to take time off work to stay home.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. I am unsure about the particulars of your service call without knowing your information; however, we can say that these fridges can be extremely difficult to diagnose accurately when they fail. We do not stock many of their parts because the manufacturer will not allow us to return the parts if we do not use them. We do everything possible to repair these fridges as accurately as possible, and definitely regret the amount of time it took to get yours fixed for you. We do stand behind our work though and will stay with it until the issue is resolved, we appreciate your patience in this case and hope that you will call us again if the need ever arises. Thanks again!

Jill in Squamish
Jill in Squamish
1 review Squamish, BC

Washing Machine

WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!!!!! Never purchase or have anything serviced by these people. Was charged $425 for a new machine that was still under warranty. The service man came to my house 5 times for a brand new machine and still never fixed it. WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!! I called Frigidaire myself and they said all parts covered for 2 years. They did not tell me the truth and said the company didn't cover them, but said they were going to talk to Frigidaire to try to cover them, but Frigidaire told me they never had anyone from Totem call about this appliance because they track all calls with the serial # of the appliance. So they never called Frigidaire and then just charged my Visa a month later without calling me or emailing me, zero follow up, not even calling me back on my messages. I put in a request to talk to a manager twice, and they said sure I will get him to contact you and no one called me back EVER. Worst service of my entire life. I also found out that the machine could have been warrantied after the second visit. Now I am stuck with a new machine that STILL does not work and a charge on my Visa of $425. I had to call them to send me a copy of the receipt because I never even got one, and now I have to try and work with Frigidaire to try and get a refund of the parts that were charged to me that should ever have been. At least Frigidaire was good to see that Totem totally messed up and are trying to make it somewhat right. DO yourselves a huge favour and never ever use this company.

Hi Jill and thank you for your feedback. Your model of washer definitely has a 1 year warranty for parts and labor on it. We requested a special authorization from them several times without any response. I can not say why you were told that you had a 2 year warranty, but our company would not be compensated for our time if we did the work and attempted to bill the manufacturer for something that is out of warranty. I understand how frustrating the process has been for you; however, Totem Appliance would never maliciously charge someone's credit card without consent from the customer. After a few months we have finally received an authorization from the manufacturer for parts coverage but they will not pay for our labor time. We have credited you for the amounts of all parts you were charged for because of this. Thanks again

Tony in Maple Ridge
Tony in Maple Ridge
2 reviews Maple Ridge, BC

Fridge repair

My fridge was picking up ice last December. It cost $180 to have a tech even look at the appliance. I agreed and asked if they would look at a problem with my dishwasher while they were here. Only if I paid another $180 dollars even though the technician would already be here. I bought a new dishwasher as it would have been cheaper if it needed much repair.

It took almost three months before they could look at my fridge including defrosting it twice. After following their instructions the top of my fridge was completely melted and they refused to fix it or even acknowledge it was they had any fault at all.

I paid $800 for their tech to come out and spend a couple of hours on my fridge. It is eight months later and the ice is building again. It was not repaired at all, it just took this long for the ice to build up again.Totem wants another $180+ dollars to even look at it and refuses to acknowledge that it is the same problem.

I have never written a review before but felt this is such a brutal company, it borders on criminal.

Absolutely the worst customer service. job was not done correctly, they don`t care about their customers. The lady on the phone even told me ``if I don`t like it go somewhere else``. even though they charged me for a job they didn't complete.

* I would recommend anybody but this company. Absolutely terrible! If I could give 0 or negative stars I would *

Original service call taken October 22, 2015. We attended the home on November 2, 2015. Customer was charged $125 plus taxes for the trip charge & diagnostics. Dishwasher invoice was created but cancelled at the customer's request. The note on the invoice shows that the customer was quoted $65.62 to look at the dishwasher during the visit for the fridge; we charge half price for the diagnostic on a second appliance. The issue that this fridge is experiencing is well known for this particular model; a model that has been very problematic for many consumers. It is a built in fridge and can be quite difficult to work on for any technician, in order to work on it we had to allow for the large ice build up to melt which can take several days. The manufacturer provides a factory kit for the issue they are experiencing; the price and availability of said part is beyond our company's control as it is preset from the factory. In this case the customer did unfortunately have to pay over $800 to service their fridge, the breakdown is as follows:
Service call & diagnostics- $125
Labour to install factory kit- $136
Parts- $528
The service was completed on December 2, 2015, which is longer than we would normally like to complete a service call; however, there were a few factors with obtaining correct parts from the factory, as well as payment card being declined which held up service a bit.
If the issue has returned then it may likely be that the same part has failed again. We warrant our labour for 30 days, the manufacturer warrants their parts for 90 days. As this has been a problematic model we suggest that the consumer contact the manufacturer for any assistance. We can definitely understand one's frustration with their product as it is a very expensive fridge to purchase; Totem does not manufacture or sell the product, we can only follow the factory's recommended repairs in a case where the design is found to have a flaw.
We have raised our call out rate for this model to $195 plus taxes now due to the amount of time we have to spend on each repair, and that the call back rate is very high based on the model's history.

sandy from West Vancouver
sandy from West Vancouver
1 review West Vancouver, BC

Maytag top load washer

i called to have washer repaired in October and it took until Dec. 12 to get part and fixed. In May it broke down again, had them out to fix, same problem but NO LONGER UNDER WSRRANTY 30 DAYS on parts, if part was new why such a short warranty. I don't think it was diagnosed correctly the first time. cant afford to throw good money with expensive company. what is the advantage.

We serviced this machine and replaced the clutch in December 2014. The manufacturer provides us with a 90 day warranty on factory replacement parts, which we pass on to the customer. This particular model was only produced for a short period around 2005 and then discontinued as it was prone to multiple issues. We waited over 6 weeks to receive the part from the manufacturer in order to complete the repair in December. The machine failed again and we sent a service technician to diagnose the issue on June 2nd. The customer was understandably upset that the same part had failed; however, we are not able to get it covered under warranty and thus have to charge for the repair.

David
David
23 reviews Vancouver, BC

Repair of new Fridge

The cost is zero as it was under warranty, We called them as our new Fisher Paykel fridge was leaking underneath after it was installed my a liecenced plumber. I called Totem to book an appointment told them it was under warranty and had a letter from Fisher Paykel stating the model, serial number and I am owner of the item and they said we need the reciept which I told her I didnt have at the moment as it was sent to Fisher Paykel hence me getting a warranty letter stating me as the owner. The person still wasn't going to assist me in booking so I went to a different repairman that was referred by Fisher Payke.

Our Company performs service under warranty for many different appliance manufacturers; all of whom require us to submit a purchase receipt from the dealer where the appliance was purchased from along with our claim. If we fail to submit the receipt with our warranty claim, it will be rejected and we will not be compensated for the work performed, or any parts that are used to repair the appliance. We do empathize with a consumer who is seeking warranty service and is frustrated with this policy; however, we must adhere to the manufacturer's warranty procedure in order to successfully file a claim.

Candy Chan from Vancouver
Candy Chan from Vancouver
2 reviews Manitowish Waters, WI

Repair of Fridge

I would say you cant get any better service. The repair service was done quickly and within our budget. The repairman did a very thorough job explaining what the problem was and tips to increase the longevity of our fridge. Totem is a solid choice for appliance repairs and I will use them again and recommend to friends!

Glad we could help you out! Your kind words are nice to hear ~ many thanks

Terry from Burnaby
Terry from Burnaby
5 reviews Burnaby, BC

Appliance repair

On time, fixed problem, they know what they are doing, very professional, they are not cheap but you get what you pay for, third time I have used them, if their price were say 25% lower I would highly recommend them to my my cheap friends/family because they would perceive them as expensive.