Mason Homes Ltd

HomeStars  >  Builders in Vaughan  >  Mason Homes Ltd

Reviews for Mason Homes Ltd

Private User reviews Uxbridge, ON

new home

We bought our Mason Home five years ago as a resale. We decided to purchase this home over its competition due to the quality of the build and the quality of the finishing. Although this was a resale home it showed attention to detail and good construction practices when built. We would strongly recommend Mason Homes to anyone that is considering a new home.

Private User reviews Peterborough, ON

Worst decision to purchase from Mason

First off, this is my first house purchased on my own. Horrible service from day 1. I walked into the sales office only to stand there waiting for service while everyone (including people who came in after me) were helped. I finally had to go and approach the lady because after helping everyone else, she went and sat down. When I asked her about seeing some of the inventory homes on the lot, she waved her hand at me and told me to go find "the blonde" in the field. I did locate her and she showed me the house I was interested in and told me to come back in two to their new sales office and to bring my real estate agent. I did exactly and not only did the price of my house go up by $20000, that first sales agent told my real estate agent she wouldn't get commission because I had already come in and agents only get commission if it's the purchasers first visit. I went back to the sales office after learning this from my agent and told the sales lady that I would walk away if my agent was cut out and told her that she was the reason I didn't get any further on my first visit, because she wouldn't help me. After weeks of signing papers my real estate agent commented that she had never worked with such incompetence (as this sales lady). She didn't understand the paperwork, she left paperwork out, my agent had to ask her to do things that she should have been doing on her own. It was a nightmare. Following the nightmare of paperwork, she failed to inform me I could upgrade my model, (which I would have done) she failed to inform me to pick out the exterior colours of my house (which I almost lost out on because I was the first to buy in my row), and numerous other blunders. (Note: the majority of the sales staff have quit since I bought my house because they couldn't handle the incompetence of the company and how they treat customers).

Second; I was told by the sales office that the next step would be the electrical and that I would be notified by someone. Months later I get a frantic call from the decor centre asking why I hadn't been in yet. When I told them I was waiting for someone to contact me re the electrical, she informed me that it was all done with them and that I should have made an appt with them months prior. No one informed me of this. They booked me in and told me I would be there the entire day. Day of I go in and start picking out decor and after just two hours, the decor centre lady says I'm done. While she was doing the paperwork I was looking at items in a room she had never even taken me to where I noticed door knobs. I went to her desk and asked if I was suppose to pick one out. She replied with "oh ya, what do you want?". My real estate agent (who has a background in design) came by to put things together with me. As she wandered around looking at different items she asked me several times which items I had picked (doors, cupboard knobs, etc), and we came across several more items that she forgot. One of those items was the stain on the banister. I asked what the cost was to have it stained grey. My agent asked if I just went with standard how would it come. The lady pointed at a banister that was raw wood, to which my agent commented "that's great, you can stain it yourself". So I went with 'raw', only to find during my PDI that the banister came lacquered in a light yellow colour (my house is grey and white). I also found out later (when I was to pick out my exterior colours) that I couldn't have the colours I wanted because I didn't pick the right model. When I asked to change models they told me it was too late, that I should have done it with sales when I came in the first time. Had I been given that option, I would have taken it. I wrote to head office telling them what happened and at the time I was very happy because they were going to make one colour modification for me. They signed off on it and I did as well only to find out when the house was built that they never kept their word and suddenly couldn't do it anymore.

The next major item that was ruined was I had asked if my stepfather (a concrete finisher) could lay my concrete in the basement and the garage. Again head office approved it and they were to notify my stepfather when they were ready to pour. This never happened. I showed up at the house one day and it had all been done by the concrete company contracted to the site. I learned from that contractor that Brian, the site super at the time, had told him he wasn't going to let my stepfather in and told the contractor to just do the work. As a results my concrete in the basement was ruined. I wanted my basement to be a gym. My stepfather was going to mix dye in the concrete to make it look like a marble floor. Instead what I got was concrete stained with tar from the walls, something white all over, what looks like soda spilled in several different places, and other marks and discoloration. This is now going to cost me thousands in flooring material as I am going to have to cover it all up.

There were several items I pointed out in my PDI that Brian disregarded and told me to sign that everything was ok and he'd fix things later. Since then it's been one thing after another. The grass was laid dead, the entire house cracked in the interior, the counters in every room separated from the wall, the frames on the windows cracked etc (and I have two humidity monitors that were provided by Mason, so it's recorded that my humidity levels were also where they were suppose to be), both pillars at the front cracked all the way around, the garage door malfunctioned three times, there was white paint all over all the doors floor and hinges, my floor squeaks all over the house, some of the floor boards raised. The flooring company came and replaced one floor board and told me the floor will continue to squeak but to just kick the boards really hard and the squeaking will stop (PARDON?????).

After I submitted my one year form it took them five months to contact me to start fixing things. I let them in on nine different occasions and all nine times, the person they sent stayed for a maximum of one hour each visit. They would say every time that they needed a full day to get everything done, but they would book at 1pm every single time, do one or two things, and then say they had to go. And every time they were there, they said the trades required were suppose to contact me. One booked and then cancelled, one booked and then was cancelled by head office (because he said I locked Mason out, which I didn't). Two months went by and I was contacted by Tarion to see if Mason Homes had fixed everything on my year end list. They had not and it didn't appear as though they were going to finish by the deadline, so I booked my conciliation. Suddenly I had the Mason worker on my door step everyday trying to get me to sign a builder/vendor agreement. I didn't know how it worked and he did not know how to explain how it worked very well. I had Tarion clarify and decided to give the Mason worker the extension (which I shouldn't have) because following me being nice and granting the extension, he went and told head office that he couldn't get in because I kept denying him access due to my work schedule. This is also false. I am off four days a week. Often those days are week days when the contractors are working. I sat around for FIVE MONTHS with no contact from them. I spent another TWO AND A HALF MONTHS letting him in day after day after day while he got nothing accomplished. The incident that he decided was me not letting him in was; one of the contractors that cancelled on me was the flooring company. They told me they would call back the following Monday and re-book, they never did. Three to four weeks later, as I am leaving the house to go to work, he shows up asking me to let the flooring company in. I told him I couldn't because I was literally walking out the door (my conciliation was book for three days later). He then told head office that I made it difficult for workers to get in because of my shift work........?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK. They also called one of my warranted items 'a courtesy' because it wasn't on my list. This item was on my 30 day list, as well as my one year.

There are numerous other stories I could tell. The stories from all my neighbours are all the same. Hearing other stories make mine sound minor. The company will never admit fault and will never make things right. The second you sign the papers they no longer care and customer care just doesn't exist.

The ONLY good thing I have to say about the house is that it is sound proof, and for someone who works shift work this is a great feature. Other than that, my first time buying my own house was a complete and utter nightmare. Mason Homes made this experience an angering one instead of an exciting one. I do not recommend this builder. I know dozens of others I have spoken to in my subdivision are not happy

blink1342
blink1342

Happy with our purchase

We purchased the “Kirkwood” model (Bungaloft) from Mason homes in Peterborough Parklands subdivision. The sales team at the model homes were fantastic to deal with they were professional, personable, and very informative. The wide range of model homes are so well staged/designed, honestly stunning! We are so glad we decided to purchase here, the neighbourhood is friendly, lots shopping such as Wal-mart, Canadian tire, and more are 1 min away which we LOVE! So far, the after care service has been good for any items on our list. We moved from North Oshawa to Peterborough, happy with our decision. We highly recommend Mason Homes and the neighbourhood!

Private User reviews Lindsay, ON

I love my new Mason Home

I love my new Mason Home! I have owned a number of new homes over the years, and this was by far our best experience. Like most, I did my homework prior to purchasing and I asked a lot of questions. Right from the start of this process we were treated with respect and are totally impressed with the people that work for Mason Homes…from the Sales Centre, Décor Centre and the Building Site.
We were extremely impressed and pleased with the Décor Centre. Considering that Mason Homes are production builders, there were plenty of standards, options and extras to choose from. We had a set budget for upgrades, and were very happy that we were able to get so much for so little.
The guys on Site were Great! Doug and John took the time to answer all of our questions and concerns. Our new home was built on time and not a single detail was overlooked.
I don’t know what these few purchasers are talking about, our experience was fantastic….If we ever move, we will be purchasing another Mason Home.

Private User reviews Vaughan, ON

Home, Peterborough

Poor customer service, they don't respond your issues/deficiencies, will give you the home with many things not completed - they say they will do it ASAP but as soon as you get the keys not responses for the issues, even you talk to higher manager they don't care - seems why not the people under him would have the same attitude.

Private User reviews Peterborough, ON

New Home Purchase in Peterborough, ON

We were looking to buy a new home in Peterborough. We became acquainted with Gord Mason of Mason homes through our restaurant business. When we described what we were looking for he told us about the new phase that would be starting construction Summer of 2016. We were one the first customers to commit to one of the new semi-detached Courtyard Homes. The design was perfect for us and we were able to make some significant changes to the floor plan to make it uniquely ours. The construction took about a year what with site plan approvals etc. but when we took possession it was everything we hoped it would be. There are a handful of deficiencies that are being corrected as they finish this Phase but over-all I highly recommend Mason Homes for their designs and construction quality.

Porky113 in Peterborough
Porky113 in Peterborough
0 reviews Peterborough, ON

Not sure where to start: disappointed, frustrated, ready to move...

Purchased our home and heard nothing but the best about Mason Homes. Before we moved into the home while driving by we seen someone stuccoing our ceilings, we stopped and said we paid for flat ceilings, the guy said he had just finished and go talk to Mason Homes. We did and after numerous conversations they had to scrape the hole house and make it flat.
We ordered Emergency egress windows in basement, didn't get those and it took a lawyers letter to have them installed. Our kitchen was wrong and they tried 3 times to get it right, must have cost them thousands of dollars to get it right.
Moved in Oct 2016. did our PDI and the first thing we turned on and tried to fill was the master bathtub. It wouldn't hold water, ran down to the basement to find basement flooding. Plumber didn't check the tub drain. Plumber was called and a quick fix. Should not have happened. Next, we tested all the showers and found 2 of the 3 leaked behind the walls. Again plumber had to be called.
We where missing a bathroom tile for months, they finally came to install it and when the glue set it was off center. 2 months later it was repaired again. The bathroom grout in our master bedroom was 2 different colours, white and grey. Kitchen cupboards door had to be repaired a few times and new ones installed. They sent a repairman into the home to try and fix the small problems,Paint, grout, silicone, caulking etc. 10 days he had to keep coming back and finally got tired of doing all these repairs he never came back.
Outside has not been painted, garage doors, pillers, from door etc. this will be winter #2 how will they last. We are not happy with the cutomer care after the purchase of a Mason home.

Charlotte4566 in Scarborough
Charlotte4566 in Scarborough
0 reviews Port Hope, ON

New House

I just found this site in doing a search for Mason Homes contact information. Wow. These are unhappy customers. I am quite satisfied with the new house I bought in Port Hope. The tiling was excellent (it didn't get finished in one area) but the quality of workmanship was very good. The hardwood flooring is great and the installation is good. The windows are Pollard which is a good brand. The house came with a sump pump and a backflow valve. I'm not enthusiastic about the water heater: it has a heat recovery function but costs $50. per month rental.
I was pretty uncomfortable last night with 35 degrees Celsius heat and no air conditioning. It seems like it was never connected. I don't know why this oversight was made. So now I'm trying to get the a/c hooked up because it's supposed to be hit for days.
I did I have issues with the painters; They just never came back to finish the work. The finish carpentry was good.
I think the problem that Mason Homes has is that they aren't that big and their success has impeded their ability to provide quality to their customers. It really seems to depend who you get for a trade as to whether the work is done well or not. It also seems that the after sales service is missing. Mason Homes NEEDS to put on place a senior level person to head up their after sales service and develop a TEAM of experienced professionals to undertake the reparation of deficiencies. I am very worried about when or if I'm going to get my a/c hooked up. Perhaps, like the the tiling, I'll have to pay for it myself.

Horrible People Selling Horrible Homes

For some unknown reason, Mason Homes has the reputation of building quality homes. This is why we chose to buy our retirement home from them. We wanted a quality home, with no major issues to enjoy our golden years.

For us, this was not the case (as well as all our neighbours). The home was delivered with a multitude of deficiencies. We were assured by the site super that performed our PDI (Brian) that every single issue would be fixed to our satisfaction. Small, inexpensive issues were fixed (sometimes correctly), but not without hassling Mason homes to do so. Major issues were repaired ineffective band-aid solutions in an attempt to reach Tarion warranty deadlines. In one case, the new site super (Lion), told us that one of our more significant deficiency was just bad luck. We are still dealing with Tarion to have this and many issues resolved. Photos and exact details will be posted once the matter is resolved for all to see.

Communication and customer service is a joke. It is near impossible to get a hold of anyone with any authority - no one at the cooperate office cares to speak to you. Voicemails and emails are ignored. Appointments for repairs are promised, yet often never scheduled. The current site super, Lion shows no respect to customers. He always has an excuse to why matters have not been resolved. Since he can't keep his stories straight and forgets that neighbours talk, we know that we would have been better off talking to a brick wall. At least they don't fib. It has come to the point where we just don't trust the company as a whole.

We have spent more time trying to get things fixed, items covered under Tarion, than you could possibly imagine. Knowing what we know now, we should have bought a small existing home and paid a reputable contractor to get the house we wanted. We avoided this in the first place, as we didn't want the hassle.

Don't be fooled by the photos of Mike Holmes plastered on their website and build sites. Everything is built to minimum code at best, with the cheapest suppliers and subcontractors available. The quality of work performed on Mike Homes tv shows are no where to be found in our house.

Forget the green, energy star bullcrap. The house is drafty, the HRV was not sized correctly, air ducts are not sealed properly. Remember, the energy star program is a point system based upon the design, not the long term. The cheapest of furnaces, windows, doors and insulation will be installed. Cheap never lasts.

In closing, forget the reviews online, whether positive or negative, if you are thinking of buying from Mason Homes. Just approach the current residents of their communities. We are more than willing to discuss the hell that we have been put through.

Dan Comeau in Port Hope
Dan Comeau in Port Hope
0 reviews Ottawa, ON

New Home Purchase

This is some of the workmanship in my new home which was endorsed by Mike Holmes.....Hard to believe.... It looks like a 5 year old did the work... who on earth would be expected to accept this !!!