Builders

Reviews for Fernbrook Homes

Cindy in Toronto
Cindy in Toronto

New Build

I purchased a Fernbrook home in Maple in October 2015; after many delays we closed in July 2018. You would think with nearly 3 years to build the house would have very few issues, how wrong I was.
In addition to the long list of deficiencies, there were items not done, because the builder couldn't. Instead of deducting from the final purchase price at closing, I was forced to pay in full and now sit back and wait for the $5k+ that I am owed; peanuts for Fernbrook, but a lot of money for me.
Issues still outstanding:
1. Every window has to be replaced because they are covered in splattered concrete and scratched.
2. Floors, which I upgraded are chipped. They obviously used the cheapest hardwood they could find; laminate in my condo was better.
3. They moved 2 pendant lights as they were in the wrong place, still waiting for the ceiling to be repaired.
4. When the toilets upstairs are flushed it sounds like you are inside a waterslide; you can hear the loud rush of water traveling through the house.
5. AYA Kitchens are awful. Cupboards scratched and chipped. Kickboards falling off. They should be ashamed of their work...they will get their own review next.
6. Door trims were cut too short, at least 1/2 an inch.
7. Some baseboards were overcut, and you can visibly see the cut.
8. Marble countertops in bathrooms are scratched.
9. Custom mirrors are chipped and not flush...likely because the walls are on an angle.
10. My upgraded bath is chipped.
11. Windows are missing screens.
12. Window sills are chipped.
And these are the major items.
I bought the home for the elevator, as my elderly parents live with me. What I concluded after speaking with some trades, Fernbrook tenders the work. They opt for the cheapest. The companies that win the tender now must do the work for less than what they quoted, in order to make a profit, so they hire inexperienced labourers who do a terrible job. Then you have Fernbrook's site supervisor who signs off on terrible work for reasons best known to him or herself.
I will NEVER buy a Fermbrook home again. My parent's have bought new before, and have not had issues.
I am hoping one day the government will intervene with new home sales, and hold back some of the money in escrow, pending all issues being rectified. It won't help me now, but others in the future.

Oakville ROC homeowners in Richmond Hill
Oakville ROC homeowners in Richmond Hill
1 review Richmond Hill, ON

ROC Oakville

905-773-5162
575 Bloomington Rd E, SS 6
Richmond Hill
L4E 1A2

Royal Oak Club Oakville: Having never built a home from scratch before, we had a lot to learn about the process and there was a huge gap in our understanding about the process, but Fernbrook came through on almost every part of their promise. We now have a beautiful home in a lovely neighbourhood. The personal service from the ladies at the design centre ( pre build help from Carmela, Susan S at Downsview was outstanding ) and the the "after sales " service was excellent. ( amazing assistance and trouble shooting from Stacy P and Darius). As long as we were patient and persistent we found that Fernbrook was able to resolve all our needs. And few times they saved came to our rescue to resolve a problem.-thank goodness for their help! We have been truly satisfied with our new home.

J and D in Oakville
J and D in Oakville

Bronte Creek Oakville

I had the pleasure of purchasing a home from Fernbrook in Oakville. The entire sales experience was exemplary. From the construction process, picking out the upgrades into the decor centre, to the after care service. If I was going to buy another home it would definitely have to be a Fernbrook. The quality of their workmanship, the layout of their homes, and their locations are second to none. I would highly recommend them. If you're in the market for a very well built home, you should make Fernbrook the first name on your list.

Corey Ellis in Oakville
Corey Ellis in Oakville

Fernbrook Homes - our experience

I came across these reviews for Fernbrook Homes and thought I’d share our experience.

We moved into our Fernbrook home in Spring, 2016. This was the third time we have purchased a new home, and we have previously lived through a complete renovation of a century home.

Our experience with Fernbrook continues to exceed our expectations. The designs are inspired, with architectural details usually reserved for only the best custom homes. The choice of finishes and materials at the decor centre was fantastic. The sales team was a pleasure to deal with, both before and after our purchase. Changes to layout and finishes were accepted without additional cost, and our home closed on time.

As with any new home, there were some incomplete and defective items. While repairs didn’t happen overnight, the customer service team did everything we asked of them and more.

I would not hesitate to recommend this builder to anyone, and would certainly purchase another Fernbrook home.

Private User reviews Vaughan, ON

New home

I love my new home! Fernbrook has been great! The market value has gone up every year and the house is solid and still looks brand new after 6+ years!
Stacey the customer service manager has been fantastic! She really cares about the home owner and it makes a big difference. The few issues that we had were dealt with professionally and completed within a reasonable period of time. I would recommend Fernbrook to anyone who is planning on buying a home. They are a solid investment.

adam.kostanowicz in Burlington
adam.kostanowicz in Burlington
3 reviews Richmond Hill, ON

Very POORLY built Fernbrook Home

Terrible experience, what a disappointment.

We bought our home from what we thought was a "good reputable builder". We have had nothing but problems in the 4.5yrs we've owned the home. At this point in our new home purchase we now have to spend $10,000 to replace our roof...YES the roof needs to be replaced within 5 years and Fernbrook is not interested in assisting (nor is Tarion). We have had 3 water leaks in 5 years and I have had enough of the poor patching jobs and need to get the entire thing replaced (roofers won't even entertain repairs anymore and will only come to replace the roof at this point).

We also had to have the front room on the main floor JACKED UP because they forgot to install a load bearing beam in our basement where one was needed. We discovered this after realizing a door wouldn't open all the way as it was hitting the floor half way through. The floor had SUNK over 3" on a span on 8 feet! Talk about quality.

I can go on and on..but I think I've made my point. I couldn't be more unhappy and disappointed with this house built by Fernbrook Homes.

Joel in Richmond Hill
Joel in Richmond Hill
1 review Richmond Hill, ON

worst customer service I've ever experienced!

As soon as we moved into our new house, the level of customer service dropped to an astonishingly poor quality. We had to engage our lawyer multiple times for advice on how to get Fernbrook to respond to our concerns.

Definitely beware of this builder!

Private User reviews Halton Hills, ON

FernBrook homes hired cheap contractors!

FernBrook homes hired cheap contractors resulted poor job. No sound proof etc. Some of site fernbrook staff's are very professional's. Some of them are extremely good with customers compare to head office. That's the only reason why I didn't write more negative comments about the builder.

Review has 1 previous version

Terrible builders

Well it's been almost 4 years and still unable to build a fence, deck or finish a basement because of the quality workmanship of Fernbrook Homes. Last step going through Tarion and will eventually get this issue fixed but would never recommend them as a builder. If you are looking into buying a home any builder but Fernbrook is great!