I STRONGLY DO NOT RECOMMEND Reliance for any of their services!
I’ve had to call them twice for repairs: once for an AC unit, and the other for a hot water tank.
My 5 year old AC stopped working on a very hot day in July. Service department said I would have to wait 5 days for a technician to come out. With an elderly person in the house who has trouble breathing on humid days I told them that was unacceptable. After some arguing and threatening they magically found a technician to come out and fixed the problem within 20 minutes.
A couple weeks ago my hot water heater was damaged after a flood. They sent out two technicians to look at it: the first recommended it be replaced, the second said it didn’t!? Despite that second technician’s opinion I decided not to take the chance with a gas water heater and have it replaced. That's when the trouble started...
1) They replaced the old tank with a lower capacity unit (the old one was 50L, the new one was 40L)!
2) A valve was damaged when the water was turned back on and the technician just left! A significant amount of water was leaking into a floor drain from the valve so I had to turn the water off at the main to stop the waste.
3) Customer service said they would send someone out the next morning. I specifically asked for a plumber because it was a problem with a valve in the pipes, but the guy they sent out was an HVAC tech and had no idea how to fix it!
4) Customer service said they were sorry for the inconvenience but they couldn’t send out a proper plumber for another 4 days! I argued with the supervisor about this and they agreed to send a plumber out the next morning but I would have to pay for it!
5) The “plumber” came out and had no idea what the valve was for and had to leave with a picture of it to have someone help identify it. He came back about 20 minutes later and said it was a trap seal primer. He said it wasn't needed and suggested replacing it with a straight piece of pipe. Okay...?
6) Two hours later the guy finished what can only be described as a "hack job" including a ball valve, 4 couplers and two small pieces of pipe. He said he had trouble with water still in the line messing with his solder job so he had to get creative LOL. Everything seemed to be fine when the water was turned back on so I paid him and he left.
7) The next day water was spraying from one of the joints he had soldered and was soaking my basement! I shut off the water main again and called Reliance only to be told I would have to wait two days for a plumber to come back! I asked for a supervisor and was told it was the weekend and the only supervisor available couldn't help me!?
8) I asked if I could call a third party plumber to fix the problem now, and have Reliance credit my account, but they stated the supervisor on duty could not authorize that! She suggested I should probably just go ahead and call another company to fix it! LOL I asked her if I did, what guarantee would I have that Reliance would credit my account? She simply replied, “Well they should.”
TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!
FYI - I ended up calling in a local plumber who, within an hour, had the problem fixed by replacing the entire hack job with one solid stretch of pipe. I’ll have to call Reliance on Monday to fight with a manager to credit my account for the extra work.
Summary: Reliance treats you like gold when they want you to buy their equipment, but they treat you like garbage when it comes time to service it. There are other options out there!!