Gateway Outdoor Living

Gateway Outdoor Living

Reviews for Gateway Outdoor Living

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

New deck build.

Gateway did a great job taking away the old deck and building a new one. They were on time and did a wonderful job.

It was a pleasure to meet you and work in your beautiful back yard! I know you will enjoy your new deck for many years to come!

Lucie
Lucie

Cedar deck re-finishing

Ken did a great job re-fishing our cedar deck. It required cleaning, sanding and re-staining. Ken was on time, communicated well about all the steps and schedule, stayed on budget as discussed. He is detail oriented, focused on the job. We were very happy with this project completion and would not hesitate to recommend him to others. Thank you!

Hi Lucie,
I'm so glad you are happy with your new deck finish! The weather made it challenging, but now that it's done I know you will spend a lot of time out there enjoying the summer!
All the best,

Stuart
Stuart

Deck Stairs

I'd been looking to add some stairs to my deck and asked Ken to come and take a look. We quickly arranged a time and he showed up exactly when he said he would. Ken was quite professional as he took a look and asked a questions about what type of design I was looking for, etc. The quote I got back was quite fair and Ken got things put together quickly. I would certainly look to Ken again the next time I have a project come up.

Hey Stuart,
Thanks for the review!
I know you'll appreciate the access the new deck stairs give to you back yard. Glad we could get 'er done quickly.

Lisa (Calgary)
Lisa (Calgary)

Fence Renovation

I was looking to replace my backyard fence, and asked Ken to come and give me a quote. He looked at the fence and told me replacement wasn't necessary and I should juts replace a few boards and re-paint. This likely saved me about $4000 , which would hav gone to Ken had he just told m to replace the fence. But he was totally honest and then, worked diligently to get the repair work and re-painting (including sanding and prepping the fence) done quickly. Highly recommend!

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for the great review!
I'm glad I was able to get your fence back in tip top shape.
Take care,

Jodi in Calgary
Jodi in Calgary

Kitchen Renovation

Everything from start to finish was fantastic! Ken really did his research in order to provide an accurate quote. He was able to track down my exact hardwood flooring so I could have a perfect match from dining room to kitchen. He contracted out the laying of the hardwood and the backsplash tiling to experienced craftsmen and the level of cleanliness and professionalism that Ken and his team showed throughout the renovation was superior. I highly recommend using Ken for any of your renovation needs!

Thanks Jodi. I'm glad the project turned out so well! Enjoy your new kitchen!

hockey in Calgary
hockey in Calgary

Replace deck surface and railing

Ken and his team did a fantastic job. They were on time with everything, easy to communicate with and their quote was very fair. The final invoice was the same as the quote. I was extremely satisfied with their work and would hire them again in an instant. I would suggest them Without hesitation.

Thanks for your kind words Darryl! It was a pleasure working on your deck. I know the new deck surface and railing will allow you to enjoy the beautiful view for many years to come.

Gate Post Replacement

A large post holding up a heavy gate leading to our back yard splintered and eventually gave way after the gate was left unlatched during a wind/rain storm. We found Ken on HomeStars and asked for a quote. He indicated that he would arrive at 7:00 p.m. one evening to look at the job and, despite the construction on all of the main roads leading to our house, he arrived at 7:00 p.m. on the dot. On the day of the job, he said he would arrive at 9:30 a.m. and he arrived at 9:30 a.m., starting work shortly thereafter. Taking the existing post out of the ground proved to be a tough, long job. He then installed a new, rock-solid post, levelled the paving bricks around it, re-hung the gate so it now swings freely and latches easily, cleaned the work area completely, and hauled all debris away. We would certainly recommend Ken to our friends and neighbours, and will definitely be calling him back for other jobs that come up around here.

Thanks so much for the kind feedback! I'm glad I was able to fix the problem post!

Irma in Calgary
Irma in Calgary

Deck Refinishing and Rebuilding

Ken completed refinishing and rebuilding two large decks couple of weeks ago. I could not be happier with the entire process. Work was completed on time and exactly how it was described.
Ken communicated and consulted with me every step of the way from replacing few deck boards to rebuilding an entire landing due to severe safety concerns. We landed on composite material for the landing and the steps to prevent future issues. This naturally increased the cost which was approved by me. Very reasonable cost.
When I asked Ken to consider additional work to close 3 small areas under the decks to prevent critter nesting, he not only did that using some leftover materials he had but did not even charge me for it!
I have already recommended Gateway Outdoor Living to another friend of mine for similar work and will definitely look at hiring them again to deal with my third landing and steps in the future.

Thanks Irma! It was great to meet you and get your decks in tip top shape!

Amanda in Toronto
Amanda in Toronto

Fence

The fence is amazing and very sturdy. We asked for a removable section so we could store our trailer and be able to pull it out. Ken attempted a self removing slide out but it was too heavy so he came up with another solution, a section that slides across without us even asking. He could have just left us with the first option but he ensured that we would be able to move it with ease. The only thing I was not happy about was that our yard got torn up a bit which I didn't realize was going to happen. Ken helped fixed some of the yard and gave us suggestions on how we could fix it fully. He has checked in on us several times to make sure there are no issues with the fence. I would 100% recommend his work to anyone.

Thanks Amanda!
I glad we were able to replace your old fence with a better solution.

mgkelly175 from Calgary
mgkelly175 from Calgary

Deck Refinishing

We were facing a nasty job in refinishing a large cedar deck that had weathered. We found Gateway Outdoor Living through HomeStars and feel we hit the jackpot. Ken did a great job! He was very easy to work with, did what he said he would do when he said he would do it. He’s a very hard working business owner who’s earned his high rating and our respect! We’re delighted with the result.

Thanks Mary!
I hope you are able to enjoy your beautiful back yard now that the deck work is finished.

More about Gateway Outdoor Living

After 35 + years in Industrial construction, my career began to wind down due to the changes in the Oil and Gas industry in Alberta.
I decided it was time to pursue my interest and passion for building decks, gates, fences and any type of outdoor structure.
I've been involved in the design and construction of many residential projects on a volunteer basis over the years. Now I'm using that experience as a foundation for my own company.​
I'm a licensed general contractor specializing in exterior projects. I offer personalized service from start to finish. By working one project at a time I'm able to be personally involved in all aspects of your project to ensure complete customer satisfaction.