Serenity Decks

Serenity Decks

Reviews for Serenity Decks

Private User reviews , ON

BEWARE- Horrible Customer Service & Workmanship

This is an update to an earlier review where the project budget was listed incorrectly as $40K when it was actually $65K. We have since hired another contractor to fix the deck and structural supports of the pergola since Serenity Decks was unresponsive.
We hired Serenity Decks on a recommendation from our landscaper who we love. Sadly it was a very costly mistake.

We engaged their services for a perimeter fence, Thermory Ash deck and Pergola.

When the wood arrived for the deck it was not the material we had selected or he had quoted on. Even his installers were upset as the new material was not the same thickness and they had already done the foundation. This has created sunken areas and trip hazards around our pool coping as it is not flush. Furthermore the quality is not the same as he had assured me it would be. This material is supposed to be warrantied for 25-30 years and it has not even lasted 6 moths without cupping and cracking. They also had not secured any of the boarder boards so those are lifting.

The pergola supports were not sufficient in strength to take the weight and have cracked and now the structure is leaning.

We had tried for months to get this looked after and after several texts/emails and phone messages Richard finally came by and said he would send someone by to fix this. Months later, and after several more messages, emails, etc. no-one has shown up or returned any calls to schedule the work. Very unprofessional.

I wish I had read the reviews here prior as quite a few reiterate the lack of responsiveness from them.
I am left having to take further action and hope this review helps other homeowners avoid the costly mistake we made. Our project was just over $65,000.00 and we cannot afford to have it all re-done properly.

I would also like to add that he always bragged about other projects and made it seem like he was doing us a favour. When you spend that kind of money with a company you would expect better customer service and at the very least honour your workmanship and return phone calls.

Gail in Toronto, Ontario
Gail in Toronto, Ontario

Azek Deck

We made the biggest mistake of our lives when we hired Richard from Serenity Decks. At first we thought that the deck looked good and that we would be happy. Then we found out that he misled us by not telling us that we needed a permit. We have been trying to contact him for the past 2 months and he never returns our calls or emails. We needed his help to get the drawing and engineer report because the city is asking us now to apply for permit. He doesn't care! There are also some areas of the deck that need attention, but he continues to ignore us. If you don't want aggravation DO NOT HIRE THIS COMPANY!

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have left reviews about my company, both good and not so favourable. I've never been a big advocate of open public forums as I could easily set up a number of email addresses and post 10 start
reviews all day long. I choose not to do that. What I do choose to do is learn from legitimate complaints. I'd specifically like comment on a 0/10 review from Gail in Toronto.The truth is she required a building permit. The truth is I absolutely made her and her husband aware of this prior to signing the approx. $100k contract. Gail contacted me approx. 8 months after the deck was completed and paid in full to notify me that she was visited by the City Inspector and required a permit. I put her in touch with my engineer who explained the process but Gail emailed me and told me to "guess" and give her "approximate" locations of piers that she had contracted to be put in. She did not want to spend the money to have proper drawings. Unfortunately, for me as reflected by her 0/10 review not all of us learn from our mistakes. I refused to take "short cuts" and felt as though her threats of putting up a bad review was just her expressing her own frustration of getting caught trying to save money. My lesson is to make sure everything is in writing and not to compromise my professional integrity in order please a client who isn't willing to honour the building process. I have lots of emails to verify my position as well as emails from Gail and her husband asking me to do more work for them. Surprisingly after all this it's me thats the bad guy. I wish you all a very happy and prosperous New Year!

Anna in Markham
Anna in Markham

JOB WELL DONE

I first had contact with Jim...nicest man EVER!!
I was totally satisfied with job...very clean workers...did NOT rush...took their time and did an amazing job on my deck & fence...I was out of town and my mom was overseeing job...George ; as my mom says...was a true delight!!!
Thanks for a great job boys!!!

Hi Anna,

Thank you so much for your review. It was a delight working with you as well. We are happy you are enjoying your deck and fence!

More about Serenity Decks

At Serenity Decks, we pride ourselves in our innovative designs, our attention to details and professional integrity. We understand that renovations can be stressful and with so many different products, finishes and prices, confusing as well! This is where we step in, with years of experience in delivering breathtaking decks, ...
Looking for Decks pros in Markham?