HomeStars  >  Decks in Thornhill  >  The Post Hole Diggers
How well a company responds to Quote Requests and Reviews.

Reviews for The Post Hole Diggers

in Pickering
1 review Pickering, ON

I hired The Post Hole Diggers to dig and set approximately 23 4x4 posts. One post if put in my ideal spot, would have been right at a locate marker for the gas line. The main tech on site said, that he could place my post there, but he would have to dig it by hand (not the machine) as to ensure they didn’t hit any utilities and it would be $100 vs the $25 for the other holes. I agreed to the price and yet, they still hit and ruptured the gas line. The one and only call the tech made, was to his boss, I had to be the one to call the fire department. To top it off, he then insisted on holding my copy of the locate documents, so that when the authorities arrived, it would appear he was prepared and had them the entire time. I could go on, but at the end of the day, they were unprofessional, rude and tried to suggest every hole was so hard it would cost more...

Jason Marquez from Mississauga

Requested 7 fence posts for 6 x 6, and 6 footings for my future deck. Upon arrival, the contractor "did not know" that he had to install the footings as well as he as under the impression he was only doing the fence posts; he seemed annoyed (wasn't my fault; I requested it from when I called). He also complained about being too tired multiple times. Off to a great start!

They did what they had to do but not without my own annoyances:

-I originally requested for 7 posts, but he could not access the machine for one of them. I was fine with that, but the machine damaged one my trees when he tried to access it

-he didn't like the brackets for the footings I provided and harped on it more than a few times because they weren't the "standard ones". I'm pretty sure these brackets have been used in the past as they have been sold at the stores for years (I bought them at Home Depot). Basically I was requesting to have just bolts installed into the footings and the bracket which as designed to be adjustable I would install afterward, but he said the bracket had to be installed with the bolt. As a result, my adjustable bracket is no longer adjustable as it as set in the concrete already

-they didn't agitate the concrete in the sonotubes after pouring the concrete in it to release any air pockets (I even asked him if they would; he said they would but they didn't). As a result, the brackets settled unevenly in the sonotubes and the concrete sunk in a bit within the sonotube (not level at the top of the sonotubes). I don't do this for a living but I would imagine this should be a common practice?

-his helper dropped the wheelbarrow of concrete on my neighbour's property. I understand accidents happen, but they did not do a good job of cleaning it up (removing all the larger stones on his grass). I'm grateful my neighbours are nice and understanding

-maybe this is my fault for not investigating into this earlier, but there were extra charges I was not aware of ("marking fees" and the addition of an extra "man hour") and he did not make it clear at the beginning of the job. But I can't blame him as he was quite tired! (sarcasm)

This is hard work; I get it. It's why I hired a company to do it (and one that was regarded good by Homestars). I would probably not use them again in the future if I needed another post hole digging company. I don't think I'm unreasonable (as you can see from my other reviews), but this one just left me disappointed.

I do want to add though, that I found Paula (my first point of contact) to be very professional and pleasant, and she even contacted the locate companies for me. If only the on-site crew matched that professionalism.

You win some, you lose some!

Job Price

Thank you very much for your feedback. We always welcome constructive criticism and feedback we can use to improve our customer service. We're sorry that your experience with us was not up to par and we hope that we can better serve our future customers from your candid feedback. If you wish to further discuss the specific issues you had (ie. brackets, unagitated cement, and the spill on your neighbours lawn), please feel free to email us directly and we can see how we can address these concerns
Adrianne

2 reviews Caledon, ON

Pretty much botched this job years ago. Just writing about it now. Four posts - simple 10x12 and for some reason couldn't get the dimensions right. I had be really creative installing the pergola because of the poor job that was done. Still charged full price. Oh and one guy peed on the side of my house. Could have just asked to use the washroom...

Job Price

I'm sorry that your experience with us was not what you expected. While I cannot find you in our system as one of our clients, if it was in fact our company that did this job we do guarantee our work and if the mistake was in fact our fault we would have come to do whatever was needed to fix the problem

We have made many adjustments and improvements over the years based on customer feedback so I believe this is not indicative of the service we provide our clients.

We pride ourselves on our customer service and quality workmanship. We just ask that our clients address any issues with us so that we can have the chance to fix any mistakes that may have been made. We guarantee all our jobs and don't like leaving customers dissatisfied if we can help it.

I apologize that this was not the experience that you had with us. But we appreciate your feedback.

Best of luck
Adrianne

Susan from Toronto

We presented The Post Hole Diggers with one of the most difficult of conditions and they preformed perfectly: professionally, skillfully and quickly.

In response to our application for a 2.5m fence, our neighbour hastily installed a fence in February just 6” below grade. Upon receipt of our fence height approval, we arranged for the Post Hole Diggers to remove and replace our existing 6x6 posts, now immediately adjacent to our neighbour’s fence – a separation distance of roughly 2”.

Mike and his crew, strategized around the best way to remove our posts, without damaging the neighbours precariously placed fence. In a blink of an eye our posts were removed – AMAZING. However, the concrete casement had broken apart and was acting as a plug at the bottom of the hole. Mike’s crew held his ankles as he dove headfirst into the hole to remove the plug.

Installation of the new 6x6 posts went unbelievably fast - placing the posts at precisely the height and located that I wanted.

Roughly 6 months later one of the posts had twisted around the survey stake. Without a moments hesitation (no haggling, no threats, no debate) The Post Hole Diggers came out and replaced the post FREE OF CHARGE

I have used these folks in the past. I have and I will continue to highly recommend The Post Hole Diggers. They are craftsmen, specializing in removing, replacing and installing posts. It is my experience that these folks are well worth the money.

Job Price

We had to replace our fence due to a dispute with our backyard neighbour. This proved to be a lengthy and difficult process, since 3 fence contractors prior to Mike at Post Hole Diggers, walked away from the project, refusing to work with this neighbour saying he was a bully and generally unpleasant to deal with. Mike came out at the very end of the season, on short notice, met with Igor and us and submitted a fair quote for the scope, which we reviewed with all neighbours with whom we share lot lines. Everyone was on board and work proceeded quickly and efficiently.

The Post Hole Diggers team was terrific and easy to work with. They went above and beyond, customizing board widths to work with our specific design. In fact, everyone was thrilled with the outcome, with the exception of our neighbour, for whom nothing would ever be good enough.
He wanted to build an 8' fence along the side of his lot (which exceeds municipal codes), using 4" posts. Mike had warned him that 4" posts will not sufficiently support that height with winds.

We wanted a more creative, horizontal fence with a variation of board widths. They worked with our design, delivering an outstanding result.

The neighbour's scathing review, citing leaving the tops caps off and posts exposed was as a result of my request, not Mike's neglect. I wanted to put a solar light cap on in the spring. To satisfy his client (and to smooth our life with this abrasive neighbour), Mike went out, after final payment, purchased and installed all the top caps.

We were very happy with the workmanship, quality of materials and
Not only would we recommend this company, but we will have them back in the spring to build another project. I am also an interior designer and will recommend them professionally on future client projects.

Igor Bulatovic from Toronto

Mike was contracted by my neighbour and I for our common fence and some additional posts in my backyard. The work was done, albeit not to standards: post holes 3ft or less, not wide enough and not enough of concrete to top up the holes.

When deficiencies were pointed out, Mike found excuses or did bare minimum to satisfy what was discussed and agreed upon.
Three examples:
1. Our 6"x6" fence post was left without enough concrete - there was about 10 inches wide gash and more than a foot deep beside the post (and it's poured concrete) and about 8 inches from the top of concrete to the top of the soil. Mike said he will resolve. During rain he brought a bag of concrete mix to the hole, pushed soil into the hole and then poured the concrete mix on top of it, leaving it all like that, dry. He did not know I was watching him from 20ft away. When I asked is that the way he resolves issues, he said the rain will wet the concrete mix??? He said there would be no "warranty" for that post.

It is worth to mentioned that NONE of the posts received enough concrete, up to the soil surface.

2. He was ready to leave top of the all posts cut and exposed to elements. Last minute I had my neighbour and I appeal to get this sorted out which he hesitantly did.
3. Within days from the pour, one of the posts he had done is loose and I wanted him to take care of it. Excuses again: concrete did not settle, give it a week and when I promised to pay in a week when we check the post, he refused. Mike finally settled to cut down the final payment for $100, he walked away from unfinished and unwarranted job and I have useless post, that I now have to deal with - great work Mike!

If you need a fence job done for a flip home, hire this business. They will do it, quick and dirty. If you are home owner and expect quality, I would suggest you run away, very, very fast.

Job Price

Igor, it is very unfortunate to hear these comments from you. We are professional post hole diggers who know the standards to setting posts. You made a great deal of "not to code" requests which is why your posts are not under warranty. You asked us for 10' posts to be installed in your yard in order to built an 8' fence. Mike told you that this was not to code. You made this request despite Mike's advise. We cannot assume blame for the quality of the work given this was your request. As for the lack of cement in the holes, we do not fill the holes to the top because if the top of the cement pier is lager than the bottom this will cause the post to lift. Because you requested that we remove the posts from the ground with the cement footing and then dug the new hole right beside it it created a very large top to that hole which is why we cannot pour cement all the way to the top. But because you insisted to add the cement despite our advise that is the reason you lost your warranty. Finally, Mike never agreed to reduce the price of the fence. The post is still there, therefore there is still a $100 balance on this fence.

nadialyee in Etobicoke

Be careful! They quoted $300 because we had one hole to dig which is their minimum. Paula quoted me for a 16" x 32" hole as per my installation instructions. One difference was that we needed a cement block inserted into the cement which I hadn't seen in the instructions. Their contractor argued with my husband that it was a much harder job and complained continuously throughout about how hard it was. They increased their cost by $200 even though digging and cementing a hole for a fence is $25-35. make sure you are prepared for an increase on site with this company.

Review has 1 previous version

Hi Nadia,
Actually, if you look at the instructions of your basketball net again, the hole that was required needed to be 22" wide at the bottom and not 16" as you requested. The safest way to install large posts such as a basketball net is to have the base significantly larger than the top which is the only way we would agree to do the job - it would have been unsafe to install it according to the specifications you requested. As for the 32" depth, this is actually not deep enough for Toronto frost line (as your instructions came from California the 32" depth would not be enough for our Canadian winters) and for this reason we actually needed (by code) to dig deeper than you requested. When we got to the site and saw the actual dimensions on the paperwork we spoke to your husband and explained the added cost BEFORE we did the job. He agreed to the price increase before we even started digging. We are very clear in our confirmation email (that we send to all our clients) that our prices are an estimate and that we will do an onsite assessment when we arrive and only then give you the price. This is exactly what we did and you had every opportunity to decline the price increase and we would not have done the job, the choice was yours.
It's unfortunate that you do not feel that the extra effort we put into installing the post safely and to code was not worth the price increase, however it is something that should have been addressed when we told you the new price and not after the job was already done.
We thank you for your feedback and we hope you and your family enjoy your new basketball net.

Chuck Carr

Fantastic experience front-to-back. Office and field staff were up-front with what they needed regarding on-site requirements and utility locates - in fact, I messed up and my locates had expired so they took care of getting them redone. Scheduling was a breeze and now there's a couple of thousand pounds of concrete curing in my back yard that I didn't have to mix, which is great because I really hate mixing cement. Spotless cleanup, friendly staff. I'll be calling them next year when I build a fence.

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for your kind words! We try to be up-front with all our customers so we can prevent any issues. I'm glad you didn't have to mix the concrete and we were able to do it for you!

I am glad you are happy with the service we provided you.

Karl from Toronto

This review is 2 yrs late but I think this is the best time to see with their work has stood the test of time. My fence is still strong as ever, even with the heavier deck boards I used for the install. I had 14 post dug and set by this team. I would recommend them and it saved me thousands by giving me the opportunity to install the boards myself.

Hi Karl,

Thank you for your kind words.

It was great working with you! I am glad the fence is stronger than ever!

vitmon
4 reviews Richmond Hill, ON

Needed just 3 fence posts to replace, great communication with everyone from job site to the office. No regrets to pay minimum charge for just 3 posts. job done great quick and in professional manner.
saved my back and lots of hustle.

Job Price

Thank you for your kind words! I am glad you are happy with the service we provided you! Even though it was a smaller job, no job is too small for us!

More about The Post Hole Diggers

We have been in the post hole digging industry for over 15 years. The Post Hole Diggers prides itself on its integrity, dependability and high quality workmanship. We value our customers satisfaction above all else and strive to deliver on what we promise. Our staff is professional, well trained, and eager to help and strongly believe that no job is too big, too small, or too hard as they always say If there is a will there is a way!!

We have managed over our 15 years in the business to build a reputation for our quality work and our professionalism which has given rise to large contracts with many contractors, construction companies and land developers. We are proud to say that our work speaks for itself and we get many happy repeat customers and referrals for it. We know you will be satisfied with us. Feel free to browse our testimonials for some feedback and reviews.

When working with us, you, the client, can be at ease knowing that we are fully insured for all aspects of the work (from liability to WSIB) and you bear no responsibility should something go wrong. However, we are proud to say that in 15 years we have never had to make any claims for any work related accidents. We always make sure to take all the necessary safety precautions to ensure a safe work environment for our clients and for our employees.