HomeStars  >  Fences & Gates in Thornhill  >  The Post Hole Diggers

New Company LOGO.jpg The Post Hole Diggers
905-731-6163
Richmond Hill
L4C

They dug 2 holes then said a diamond tip auger would be needed to finish the job because there was rock and shale and the cost would be an additional $100 per hole plus the original $40 quoted per hole! I spoke with neighbors that had posts dug recently and they did not have any issues. I had another company come in and they did a great job with no issues and for the original quoted price. Beware!!!!

Lori in Toronto
Lori in Toronto

Post installation

The service leading up to the installation was fantastic. Paulina was patient and answered all of my questions. On the day of the install the posts were installed quickly and efficiently. However, the professionalism of the crew left something to be desired. They showed up and were smoking in my yard throughout the entire install, the main worker was condescending to me until my husband arrived, then he was ok. They destroyed my rose bush without consulting me or letting me know afterwards. They also walked all over the fence boards I am putting back up, breaking some that I will now have to replace after I had told them I was reusing them. All in all the job was completed on time, and on budget and the quality was good.

Private User reviews Vaughan, ON

Posthole excavation and sets

Let me start off by saying that I have been installing fences for close to 20 years.
Everything was very professional until I was alerted to the fact that my 12-foot posts were going to cost $10 more per post than a 10-foot post of the same size to install. Even though the length of the post going into the ground would be exactly the same. Couple this with the fact that I carried all of the wood into the appropriate backyard ahead of time.

I also saw one of the workers come out to the company truck on more than one occasion and urinate on the street.

Due to the logistic and personal issues that these guys have..... I will go somewhere else next time for my posts being set.

Thank you for your feedback and my apologies that you were not satisfied with the service we provided. Unfortunately, we do have a set price list and our prices are carefully calculated based on the average time the jobs take and working with 12' posts does take longer which is the reason for the higher price. As all of our customers are told, if they are not comfortable with any price changes when the contractor is onsite they can refuse the job with no penalty. We are also very upfront when we provide our estimates that the price is for 10' posts and if you had told us you would be using 12' posts we would have gladly told you the price. However, we do thank you for your feedback, and we will definitely use it to work out ways of improving our service for the future.

Javier in Ajax
Javier in Ajax
1 review Ajax, ON

Great job, competent, efficient, pleasant

They arrived early, they left quickly, they were friendly, the foreman helped me with the planning and placing of the post locations. They are respectful, competent, careful and they know their stuff. Very satisfied with this company and I'd use them again.
Javier

Thank you Javier. It was a pleasure. We're glad that we could help you with your project.

Michael Ellis in Oakville
Michael Ellis in Oakville

As planned, on time on budget, great people and quality work

Needed 12' 6x6 posts in mounted concrete in difficult ground. Staff were complete professionals arrived as planned, great work, careful with peripheral landscaping. Cleaned up everything. Only complaint is they are so good they are very busy and had to wait a few weeks for their next available date.

Hi Michael,
Thank you for the kind works! We always do our best to make sure our customers are happy from start to finish! Sorry we made you wait a couple weeks, but we are glad that other than that everything went exactly how you wants.
It was also great working with you, if you need anything from us in the future please let us know.

Chris from Etobicoke
Chris from Etobicoke

Post holes delayed one week, short notice cancellations

Took a vacation day to be around when the post holes were supposed to be dug. Received a call the day before at 4pm to cancel. Rescheduled to the next week, received a call at 2pm the day before to cancel.
I, like most people, can’t just cancel a vacation day last minute and show up at work as the shift has been covered.
The 3rd cancellation was due to weather, which is out of their control.
I was expecting a call today again to cancel but they actually showed up. Work done was fine, however, other companies I have used in the past were more reliable. I chose Post Hole Digges as they were available sooner than the competition, though with the delays, it wouldn’t have mattered.

Hi Chris,
I'm sorry that the job had to be postponed a couple of times. However, I do want to remind you that we were ready to come out to do the job and had a crew on their way to you and when they called you you told them that you weren't ready and that you needed to reschedule the appointment. Unfortunately because our schedule is full for at least two weeks ahead it is difficult to squeeze in a reschedule but we did make every effort to do so and the job was done that same week because of our efforts to get you booked in. I'm sorry that the delays happened and that it postponed your job, however, I am glad that you were satisfied with the quality of the work that was done. In the end I believe that is is the quality of our work and our commitment to our customers that sets us apart from the other companies out there.

Handy in Mississauga
Handy in Mississauga

Great service friendly staff

Needed 10holes with cement for a deck. I normally would do this but price was great and all holes lined up perfectly they wheeled the cement down a slight hill to the back of house. No mess as they cleaned everything up.

Hi there,

Thank you for the kind words. We always want to try to make sure the job is done well so it makes it easier for you. I'm glad you were happy with the experience you had with us and thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

If you need anything in the future just let us know.

Best wishes,

Post Holes

Thank you very much to the Post Hole Diggers! I am very pleased with the work they did on my fence. The head office was well organized. Everything went as planned. Despite the large number of job requests, they sent a contractor the day that was booked. I also received a call from the contractor to confirm the time of his arrival. The contractor and his team did an excellent job. They made holes with a very powerful machine and also with hand tools on more sloppy areas. The new poles are now deep in the ground and nicely aligned. I am relieved because my fence will hold for many winters to come. I can highly recommend this company to anyone.

Thank you for your your kind words. You are more than welcome. We want to make sure our customer get the job done right the first time! It was great working with you, if you need anything in the future we will be here!

Best wishes,

Joseph in Scarborough
Joseph in Scarborough

Fence Post Installation

• I was not happy with this service and would not recommend to use this company.
• The contractor was unprofessional, not easy to work with and made me feel it was an inconvenience for him to be there to do the work he agreed to take on.
• The head office does not communicate job site details to the contractor, either that or the contractor does not properly read specific jobsite details. If you do use this service, you have to watch them the entire time.
• The contractor did not care about customer satisfaction or respecting the customer and wanted the quickest and easiest way to make a dollar.
• My experience with Post Hole Diggers was not quality and left me frustrated and unsatisfied with the work.

The following is a more detailed explanation for my review above :

My back fence fell over in the last big windstorm and needed new posts. I was very clear from the beginning that the jobsite cannot be accessed from the front but can be accessed by the back. The head office assured me that the contractor would be able to work this out on site and called me the day before to confirm I would be home while the work is done, which I confirmed.
On the day of work, the contractor showed up, from the start he was agitated and asked me why I didn't pick up the phone and said he almost didn't come, even though I had specifically confirmed the day before with the head office that I would be home.
We then reviewed the area of work and he appeared frustrated that he couldn't access it from the front, even though I had clearly told the head office that it would need to be accessed from the back.
The contractor told me he was not comfortable with parking on the main road in the back or parking on the strip of grass between the road and yard, as it was City owned. Up to this point I was calm and told him if he was not comfortable with that lets find a solution to get the auger in the back.
Instead of the contractor calmly taking a moment to reassess the situation, he gets annoyed and starts giving me a hard time and says it will cost an additional $150 dollars because now he has to drive to the nearest side road and unload the auger there and drive through the strip of grass he didn't want to park the truck on.
I was not in agreement with this, called the head office to complain and was on the phone less than 10 minutes and he had gone to the side road, unloaded the auger and was in the back ready to work.
The contractor then tried to guilt me saying now he has to wheelbarrow the concrete through the front, which is completely unjustified as that is what he would have had to do on any other job.
I then built a ramp to help the wheelbarrows access the back yard from the front.
At the end of all this, despite all the post locations being clearly spray painted, he offset some of the posts from where I marked them and two of the posts were installed 5 inches different in height. When I asked him the reason he tried to put the blame on me and the posts I had provided.
After the contractor had left, I found cigarette butts throughout the yard. Complete disregard for the costumer’s property.
At the end of all this, he charged me the $150 dollars extra for taking less than ten minutes to access the site through the side road.
I made the mistake of paying him on the spot instead of working it out first with the head office.
The head office would not refund me the $150 extra but said they would take the tax off of the original quote of $400. I think this is completely unacceptable.
If a company provides a service, it should be on the basis of quality and customer satisfaction.

Hi Joseph
I'm sorry to hear that your experience with us was not ideal. While we do sympathize with the difficulties you had with the contractor (and we have discussed this with him), some of the details you have stated here are inaccurate. When you booked the job and received the confirmation email there were 7 detailed points to read and review, including our access requirements. Your exact response was "Easily able to access the back from the road" which is the exact information our contractor was given in the job details. But when he got onsite he saw that this was not the case. The access to your property was not only not "easy" but also required us to park on, and block, a major road - Ellesmere Rd. and then drive on public property with our machinery. By law we are not allowed to block a city street or to drive our machinery on city property without a permit both of which you expected us to do without having permits. Had you mentioned either of these things to us prior to the appointment we could have explained this situation and made the necessary arrangements. With regards to the placement of the posts, unfortunately we cannot always set posts in the exact spot they were marked due to underground obstructions (rocks, roots, debris etc). This was something that was mentioned to you in the confirmation email. Had you told us, or the contractor, that you wanted the posts in the exact spot we could have done it but the price would have been significantly higher as this would take us more time because we would have had to fight with and remove the underground obstructions. This was not information that you gave us and so we had no way of knowing you needed the post set with precise measurement. Finally, when you called the office and complained about the price increase, the business owner approved a refund of $50 + tax = $56.50 - not "the tax off of the original quote" as you mentioned in your review. The refund is based on our hourly rate of $250 per hour for additional labour and since it took him only half an hour (not 10 minutes as you mentioned) we reduced the price to $100 extra instead of $150 - as a compromise to you. Unfortunately, even our best efforts to appease our clients don't always work :(

Bellevue Landscaping
Bellevue Landscaping

Reliable Professional Service

The Post Hole Diggers have helped us out on several projects over the past year and the work has been excellent every time. They tell us in advance when they will show up and call us before heading over. The posts are always perfectly set and installed quickly. Their price is reasonable. In every experience we've had with them they have been professional and courteous to us and our customers which is extremely important. We go to great lengths to ensure our customers have a great experience so we demand the same level of commitment from our partners. These guys have always pulled through for us. Isaac and Tyler have done the majority of our projects and they make up an outstanding team. Paula and Lindsay in the office are an absolute pleasure to deal with too. Thank you Post Hole Diggers for a successful season. We are looking forward to working together for many more season to come. We highly recommend them.

Thank you so much Ron for the great feedback. It has been great working with you and we too look forward to continuing this relationship.
All the best
The Post Hole Diggers team

More about The Post Hole Diggers

We have been in the post hole digging industry for over 15 years. The Post Hole Diggers prides itself on its integrity, dependability and high quality workmanship. We value our customers satisfaction above all else and strive to deliver on what we promise. Our staff is professional, well trained, and eager to help and strongly believe that no job is too big, too small, or too hard as they always say If there is a will there is a way!!

We have managed over our 15 years in the business to build a reputation for our quality work and our professionalism which has given rise to large contracts with many contractors, construction companies and land developers. We are proud to say that our work speaks for itself and we get many happy repeat customers and referrals for it. We know you will be satisfied with us. Feel free to browse our testimonials for some feedback and reviews.

When working with us, you, the client, can be at ease knowing that we are fully insured for all aspects of the work (from liability to WSIB) and you bear no responsibility should something go wrong. However, we are proud to say that in 15 years we have never had to make any claims for any work related accidents. We always make sure to take all the necessary safety precautions to ensure a safe work environment for our clients and for our employees.