HomeStars  >  Decks in Thornhill  >  The Post Hole Diggers

Reviews for The Post Hole Diggers

Chris from Etobicoke
Chris from Etobicoke

Post holes delayed one week, short notice cancellations

Took a vacation day to be around when the post holes were supposed to be dug. Received a call the day before at 4pm to cancel. Rescheduled to the next week, received a call at 2pm the day before to cancel.
I, like most people, can’t just cancel a vacation day last minute and show up at work as the shift has been covered.
The 3rd cancellation was due to weather, which is out of their control.
I was expecting a call today again to cancel but they actually showed up. Work done was fine, however, other companies I have used in the past were more reliable. I chose Post Hole Digges as they were available sooner than the competition, though with the delays, it wouldn’t have mattered.

Hi Chris,
I'm sorry that the job had to be postponed a couple of times. However, I do want to remind you that we were ready to come out to do the job and had a crew on their way to you and when they called you you told them that you weren't ready and that you needed to reschedule the appointment. Unfortunately because our schedule is full for at least two weeks ahead it is difficult to squeeze in a reschedule but we did make every effort to do so and the job was done that same week because of our efforts to get you booked in. I'm sorry that the delays happened and that it postponed your job, however, I am glad that you were satisfied with the quality of the work that was done. In the end I believe that is is the quality of our work and our commitment to our customers that sets us apart from the other companies out there.

Handy in Mississauga
Handy in Mississauga

Great service friendly staff

Needed 10holes with cement for a deck. I normally would do this but price was great and all holes lined up perfectly they wheeled the cement down a slight hill to the back of house. No mess as they cleaned everything up.

Hi there,

Thank you for the kind words. We always want to try to make sure the job is done well so it makes it easier for you. I'm glad you were happy with the experience you had with us and thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

If you need anything in the future just let us know.

The Post Hole Diggers

Post Holes

Thank you very much to the Post Hole Diggers! I am very pleased with the work they did on my fence. The head office was well organized. Everything went as planned. Despite the large number of job requests, they sent a contractor the day that was booked. I also received a call from the contractor to confirm the time of his arrival. The contractor and his team did an excellent job. They made holes with a very powerful machine and also with hand tools on more sloppy areas. The new poles are now deep in the ground and nicely aligned. I am relieved because my fence will hold for many winters to come. I can highly recommend this company to anyone.

Thank you for your your kind words. You are more than welcome. We want to make sure our customer get the job done right the first time! It was great working with you, if you need anything in the future we will be here!

The Post Hole Diggers

Joseph in Scarborough
Joseph in Scarborough

Fence Post Installation

• I was not happy with this service and would not recommend to use this company.
• The contractor was unprofessional, not easy to work with and made me feel it was an inconvenience for him to be there to do the work he agreed to take on.
• The head office does not communicate job site details to the contractor, either that or the contractor does not properly read specific jobsite details. If you do use this service, you have to watch them the entire time.
• The contractor did not care about customer satisfaction or respecting the customer and wanted the quickest and easiest way to make a dollar.
• My experience with Post Hole Diggers was not quality and left me frustrated and unsatisfied with the work.

The following is a more detailed explanation for my review above :

My back fence fell over in the last big windstorm and needed new posts. I was very clear from the beginning that the jobsite cannot be accessed from the front but can be accessed by the back. The head office assured me that the contractor would be able to work this out on site and called me the day before to confirm I would be home while the work is done, which I confirmed.
On the day of work, the contractor showed up, from the start he was agitated and asked me why I didn't pick up the phone and said he almost didn't come, even though I had specifically confirmed the day before with the head office that I would be home.
We then reviewed the area of work and he appeared frustrated that he couldn't access it from the front, even though I had clearly told the head office that it would need to be accessed from the back.
The contractor told me he was not comfortable with parking on the main road in the back or parking on the strip of grass between the road and yard, as it was City owned. Up to this point I was calm and told him if he was not comfortable with that lets find a solution to get the auger in the back.
Instead of the contractor calmly taking a moment to reassess the situation, he gets annoyed and starts giving me a hard time and says it will cost an additional $150 dollars because now he has to drive to the nearest side road and unload the auger there and drive through the strip of grass he didn't want to park the truck on.
I was not in agreement with this, called the head office to complain and was on the phone less than 10 minutes and he had gone to the side road, unloaded the auger and was in the back ready to work.
The contractor then tried to guilt me saying now he has to wheelbarrow the concrete through the front, which is completely unjustified as that is what he would have had to do on any other job.
I then built a ramp to help the wheelbarrows access the back yard from the front.
At the end of all this, despite all the post locations being clearly spray painted, he offset some of the posts from where I marked them and two of the posts were installed 5 inches different in height. When I asked him the reason he tried to put the blame on me and the posts I had provided.
After the contractor had left, I found cigarette butts throughout the yard. Complete disregard for the costumer’s property.
At the end of all this, he charged me the $150 dollars extra for taking less than ten minutes to access the site through the side road.
I made the mistake of paying him on the spot instead of working it out first with the head office.
The head office would not refund me the $150 extra but said they would take the tax off of the original quote of $400. I think this is completely unacceptable.
If a company provides a service, it should be on the basis of quality and customer satisfaction.

Hi Joseph
I'm sorry to hear that your experience with us was not ideal. While we do sympathize with the difficulties you had with the contractor (and we have discussed this with him), some of the details you have stated here are inaccurate. When you booked the job and received the confirmation email there were 7 detailed points to read and review, including our access requirements. Your exact response was "Easily able to access the back from the road" which is the exact information our contractor was given in the job details. But when he got onsite he saw that this was not the case. The access to your property was not only not "easy" but also required us to park on, and block, a major road - Ellesmere Rd. and then drive on public property with our machinery. By law we are not allowed to block a city street or to drive our machinery on city property without a permit both of which you expected us to do without having permits. Had you mentioned either of these things to us prior to the appointment we could have explained this situation and made the necessary arrangements. With regards to the placement of the posts, unfortunately we cannot always set posts in the exact spot they were marked due to underground obstructions (rocks, roots, debris etc). This was something that was mentioned to you in the confirmation email. Had you told us, or the contractor, that you wanted the posts in the exact spot we could have done it but the price would have been significantly higher as this would take us more time because we would have had to fight with and remove the underground obstructions. This was not information that you gave us and so we had no way of knowing you needed the post set with precise measurement. Finally, when you called the office and complained about the price increase, the business owner approved a refund of $50 + tax = $56.50 - not "the tax off of the original quote" as you mentioned in your review. The refund is based on our hourly rate of $250 per hour for additional labour and since it took him only half an hour (not 10 minutes as you mentioned) we reduced the price to $100 extra instead of $150 - as a compromise to you. Unfortunately, even our best efforts to appease our clients don't always work :(

Bellevue Landscaping
Bellevue Landscaping

Reliable Professional Service

The Post Hole Diggers have helped us out on several projects over the past year and the work has been excellent every time. They tell us in advance when they will show up and call us before heading over. The posts are always perfectly set and installed quickly. Their price is reasonable. In every experience we've had with them they have been professional and courteous to us and our customers which is extremely important. We go to great lengths to ensure our customers have a great experience so we demand the same level of commitment from our partners. These guys have always pulled through for us. Isaac and Tyler have done the majority of our projects and they make up an outstanding team. Paula and Lindsay in the office are an absolute pleasure to deal with too. Thank you Post Hole Diggers for a successful season. We are looking forward to working together for many more season to come. We highly recommend them.

Thank you so much Ron for the great feedback. It has been great working with you and we too look forward to continuing this relationship.
All the best
The Post Hole Diggers team

Eddie in Concord
Eddie in Concord

post digging for fence

I just used this company yesterday, and I have to say that I wish I never did.

1-HIDDEN COSTS no.1
The contractor started off by telling me that because it was going to take so long, he was going to charge $275 per hour after 2 hours of work!! NOTHING was mentioned about this when I called and inquired about the fees. My neighbour and I argued and he said, “ok, but I have to start charging after 3 hours”....First of all, that's called a hidden cost, and secondly, I sent very clear pictures of my terrain so they could have mentioned any issues at that point. All that was mentioned was the $35 fee per 6”x6” post, and that the machine was able to pass between the houses.
He finished in 3 hours...luckily I suppose, but it was a rushed job.
Telling a customer about fees on the day the work is to be done is dishonest and puts the customer in a corner, we had already bought all the lumber and scheduled other appointments afterwards. So it's very hard to say no on the spot....but I'm sure they know that.

2-HIDDEN COSTS no.2
Although we had the centre lines marked, and I specifically told him the spacing I was looking for, he still put his own centre line and marked his own spacing, and ended up charging me and my neighbour $45+HST EACH...ANOTHER HIDDEN COST!!

3-MEASUREMENTS NOT CORRECT!!
On one side, they put the posts COMPLETELY ON MY SIDE, not on the centre line!!!! How bad or just careless do you have to be to mess up a property line....My neighbours and I spent so much time measuring our property lines based on the plans, and he just came in and quickly with no regard put the posts completely on my property. I'm extremely upset about this.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THIS COMPANY at all.....but if you do, you better be out there with them measuring every post and every distance from every wall...otherwise you're in for a nasty surprise like I was...but remember if you go over your time limit, expect to pay a heavy hourly rate!!

The better advice I could give you is to use a completely different company that respects property lines, a customer's request for spacing and doesn't surprise you with hidden fees when you're 'under the gun'.

Here's the fine print that's supposed to cover them from any responsibility:

7) The prices provided are just an estimate. Once the contractor has started digging, he will assess the site and if there are any issues that might affect the price, he will let you know at that time before proceeding.

8) We accept Visa, MasterCard, Debit, and cash. Please inspect the job upon completion to ensure that the job has been completed to your satisfaction. If you have any issues with the work that has been done, please address them before you make payment. Once payment has been made you are approving that the job has been completed to your satisfaction.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

So once payment has been made, the customer is supposed to shut up and suck it up...I don't think so.

Eddie,

I am sorry to hear that your experience with us was not to your satisfaction, however there are a few things stated in your review that do not accurately represent how we conduct business.

I want to begin by addressing your concerns regarding “hidden costs”. We are very clear with our customers that we are only able to offer an estimate on post installation and that there are factors such as the quality of the soil and issues with access that can affect the price. It is not possible to predict what is underground until we start digging and we are very forthcoming about that as stated in our confirmation email that you attached to your review. If you are not happy with any changes to the original estimate you are free to send us away without penalty. We do not expect our customers to pay anything they have not agreed to. I want to also clarify that you were not charged our hourly rate at all, which is actually $250 an hour, and this is the price the contractor advised you of, not $275 an hour as you have stated. It is not unreasonable to charge more for a job that should only take an average amount of time to be done, but ends up taking additional time to do. With that said, we asked you to mark out the locations of the posts with spray paint, and instead you used stakes to mark out the property line; therefore our crew had to take additional time to do the proper markings. Item #4 in our confirmation email sent to every customer upon booking, prior to their appointment date, states: “It is mandatory that somebody be on site for the duration of the job that can be trusted to address any issues that might arise including pricing. Also, we do ask that the location of the posts be marked out with spray paint and the posts are on site for us.” The contractor walked the property with you and was very thorough in marking both yours and your neighbour’s property according to where you staked out the property line. You did not provide us with a property survey so the contractor simply followed what you had marked out with stakes. We typically charge at least $50 for marking so you were actually given a bit of discount for the markings that we had to do on your behalf.

We do not require a deposit, nor do we accept payment before completing a job. We ensure that the customer has the opportunity to assess the work that has been done and advise us of anything they are unhappy with so that we are able to make it right. As mentioned before, the contractor was very thorough with walking you through the job and explained everything in detail. It is unfortunate that you did not share your concerns at this time so we were able to rectify any of these issues.

Best of luck in the future.

1 review Richmond Hill, ON

Their low prices are not real - Buyer Beware!

Their ads say $25 per post and if you call to verify details they are friendly, professional and helpful. When they arrive at your house they have all the necessary equipment and prep the area for digging. After digging 3 holes they tell you that your ground is "too hard" and it will take more time. $250 per hour and you need to agree to this or they will leave. The meter keeps running and the bill goes higher and higher. "We can leave and you can do it yourself." They know you need it done and they know you likely have other contractors waiting for the posts to be installed. I called the office to complain and they said I have to deal with the contractor onsite. They rely on their quote that says, "any delays will add to the cost" but if you dig holes in the GTA all day, everyday, you would assume they understand that some ground is hard and some ground is soft. Some jobs are fast and some may take longer? It was not a good experience, I felt like I was being taken advantage of and was stuck once they started. I will say the workmanship was good. The holes were deep, the posts were set straight, the crew was friendly but the price is no where near $25 per post. After my experience, I spoke to other contractors who confirmed that this type of low ball quote is very common. Quote low, get the job, start the job and then add in more costs as they go. I would not recommend you use this company. Find someone locally, reputable who cares about their customers and reputation.

Hi Justin,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry you feel this way even though we did provide you with a good service. We were very transparent with you about how our pricing works and how we operate as a company. We sent you a confirmation email with 8 details that we asked you to read the day the job was booked. One of those 8 details was that the prices we provide are just an estimate, when the crew gets on site and starts digging they will do an assessment of the site to see if there are any issues that might affect the price. You agreed to these terms when the crew discussed with you what the challenges were with your job. It was determined that your job was going to take longer than expected and you would be need to pay the hourly rate. At that time you chose to have him proceed under these terms.

We are aware that the quality of the soil is different in different areas of the GTA. This is why we do not provide our customers with a final quote prior to starting the work.

We do not ask for a deposit, nor do we proceed with any work unless there is a verbal agreement of any inflation to the original estimate that was given to the customer. We have a price list and in the best of circumstances these prices would not change. However, when challenges arise with either the digging or other complications, unfortunately, we have to compensate for the additional time that our company has to spend at the job site.

Best of luck to you in the future,

richard.ying
richard.ying

post hole

good service and good price. on time , on schedule. thanks very much. i will recommend to my friends.

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad you are happy with the service we provided.

Advanced C.
Advanced C.

Drill land set posts

From the moment they answered the phone to the second they left the job it was absolutly fantastic. the crew that showed up were proper and did a super job. The ladies answering the phone were very helpful and full of information. would absolutly recommend and use for my next job!

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad we were helpful to you in the office. We always do our best to provided the best service we can. It was great working with you and we look forward to working with you in the future.

Ken
Ken

New fence

Professional. Quick. Experts. Originally, I called them only to put in the posts for my fence. I wanted to save some money. But inquired about their fence building capabilities--and they said they could do it. I was hesitant to go with them, as they really specialize in post holes, but was willing to take a leap of faith. They were organized from the back-end office process part, to when they arrived at my house. Fully equipped with pro machinery and a crew of 3. In 5 hours they finished a beautiful fence. So happy with high grade of materials they used and quality of their workmanship. Put these guys on your go-to list for building your entire fence. You won't regret it. Money well spent.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your kind words. I am so glad you are so happy with the service we provided to you. We do specialize in post installation but are qualified to also build beautiful fences and decks! I am glad we were helpful to you.

More about The Post Hole Diggers

We have been in the post hole digging industry for over 15 years. The Post Hole Diggers prides itself on its integrity, dependability and high quality workmanship. We value our customers satisfaction above all else and strive to deliver on what we promise. Our staff is professional, well trained, and eager to help and strongly believe that no job is too big, too small, or too hard as they always say If there is a will there is a way!!

We have managed over our 15 years in the business to build a reputation for our quality work and our professionalism which has given rise to large contracts with many contractors, construction companies and land developers. We are proud to say that our work speaks for itself and we get many happy repeat customers and referrals for it. We know you will be satisfied with us. Feel free to browse our testimonials for some feedback and reviews.

When working with us, you, the client, can be at ease knowing that we are fully insured for all aspects of the work (from liability to WSIB) and you bear no responsibility should something go wrong. However, we are proud to say that in 15 years we have never had to make any claims for any work related accidents. We always make sure to take all the necessary safety precautions to ensure a safe work environment for our clients and for our employees.