HomeStars  >  Decks in Thornhill  >  The Post Hole Diggers
How well a company responds to Quote Requests and Reviews.

Reviews for The Post Hole Diggers

1 review Caledon, ON

The Post Hole Diggers did not want to visit the project site (our residence) prior to the Estimate being written. The Post Hole Diggers did NOT explain nor warn us of extra expenses that would be incurred should the $25 post holes require hand digging. Can you believe $200 per hand dug hole (5 of them!) and, as we found out LATER hand digging is required by law for any post hole within 1 metre of a service line. Is that why they don't visit a site prior to the work??? We should have been warned. Alright, so we paid that extra expense of $1000. So, for the Estimate we gave them the EXACT lengths of fencing to be installed, a total of 48 feet. We even supplied an accurate drawing (I am a retired Engineering Designer). However, after the work was done the Invoice mysteriously itemized 60 feet of fence not 48. How easy and convenient to simply bang the credit card for an extra 12 feet of fence at $50/foot for a total of 60 feet or $600 more! After some emails/calls to them, they promised to come and re-measure. They delayed and, of course, they were a no-show. Goodbye $600! How many out there have experienced the over billing too??? Avoid this fence contractor like the plague.

1 review Richmond Hill, ON

Mike & Paul did awesome work! Very hot day in the sun and they worked hard & fast. Did a great job. They really know what they are doing. Words to describe: Gentlemen, honest, hard working, accurate, attentive, knowledgable, and great value. A1 highly recommend.

2 reviews Milton, ON

The two gentleman who showed up to dig out my 15 holes were not only knowledgeable but courteous and friendly as well. Money well spent, I would definitely recommend using the post hole diggers.

Hi there,

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad you were happy with the service we provided to you.

2 reviews Richmond Hill, ON

My family is going to help me finish fencing in my yard, we want to make it as inexpensive and easy as possible. My brother suggested hiring a company to dig the holes and set the posts in concrete. I checked out homestars and the websites and called the posthole diggers. They handled "call before you dig" for me. The one hitch was with scheduling, my original appointment was for Thursday, but my posts went in on Monday, this was annoying BUT they can't control thunder & lightening. The team that came was super efficient and friendly, made it all seem easy, and all I kept thinking is how it would have taken 10x longer if we had rented an auger and tried to do it ourselves!!! $339 well spent!

Hello there,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad we were able to help you keep the costs of your project low and got the post installed quickly for you.

I am sorry about the scheduling, if we could control the weather we would :P

If there is anything you need from us in the future please let me know.

John

I was building a 50' wooden fence and needed someone to dig and set fence posts. I found the Post Hole Diggers through home stars.

Yani and his crew showed up on time and had the holes dug and the post set so fast I was extremely impressed. Yani was very good and explained everything before starting.

He was able to maneuver the equipment around pool lines with extreme ease. No damage at all. Very happy about that.

Save your back and have the post hole diggers do the heavy work. I
highly recommend them.

Thanks Post Hole Diggers

Thanks

Hi John,

You are more than welcome :)

Thank you for the recommendation. I am glad you are happy with the service we provided to you.

Best Wishes,

in Pickering
1 review Pickering, ON

I hired The Post Hole Diggers to dig and set approximately 23 4x4 posts. One post if put in my ideal spot, would have been right at a locate marker for the gas line. The main tech on site said, that he could place my post there, but he would have to dig it by hand (not the machine) as to ensure they didn’t hit any utilities and it would be $100 vs the $25 for the other holes. I agreed to the price and yet, they still hit and ruptured the gas line. The one and only call the tech made, was to his boss, I had to be the one to call the fire department. To top it off, he then insisted on holding my copy of the locate documents, so that when the authorities arrived, it would appear he was prepared and had them the entire time. I could go on, but at the end of the day, they were unprofessional, rude and tried to suggest every hole was so hard it would cost more...

Job Price

While it is true that we hit a gas line while doing your job, unfortunately it is one of the inevitable downsides of this type of work. While it does not happen often it is something that can and has happened before (and may happen again...we cannot promise otherwise). We do do everything in our power to avoid this unpleasant event and follow all TSSA regulations including getting locates done for all of our clients and having the paperwork on site. However, Because you had your own locates done we were able to accommodate your job and get it done sooner but you were told ahead of the appointment that you would need to give the contractor the paper locates when we were onsite. You made no indication that this was a problem at the time of booking otherwise we would have gotten our own locates to avoid this confusion. I also can assure you that our crew did call 911 as is our protocol when hitting a gas line and only then did he call his boss. We have all our procedures in place including WSIB and liability insurance to insure that even when such incidences occur our clients are not affected. Unlike other companies we stayed and waited for the fire department to arrive and provided all our information and assumed the responsibility for this event and even proceeded to complete the job. Not sure why you feel that we did something wrong when at the end of the day you have posts set exactly where you need them. We did not place a gas line under your property and in fact we did everything in our power to ensure the placement of the underground services did not affect the placement of your posts.

Jason Marquez from Mississauga

Requested 7 fence posts for 6 x 6, and 6 footings for my future deck. Upon arrival, the contractor "did not know" that he had to install the footings as well as he as under the impression he was only doing the fence posts; he seemed annoyed (wasn't my fault; I requested it from when I called). He also complained about being too tired multiple times. Off to a great start!

They did what they had to do but not without my own annoyances:

-I originally requested for 7 posts, but he could not access the machine for one of them. I was fine with that, but the machine damaged one my trees when he tried to access it

-he didn't like the brackets for the footings I provided and harped on it more than a few times because they weren't the "standard ones". I'm pretty sure these brackets have been used in the past as they have been sold at the stores for years (I bought them at Home Depot). Basically I was requesting to have just bolts installed into the footings and the bracket which as designed to be adjustable I would install afterward, but he said the bracket had to be installed with the bolt. As a result, my adjustable bracket is no longer adjustable as it as set in the concrete already

-they didn't agitate the concrete in the sonotubes after pouring the concrete in it to release any air pockets (I even asked him if they would; he said they would but they didn't). As a result, the brackets settled unevenly in the sonotubes and the concrete sunk in a bit within the sonotube (not level at the top of the sonotubes). I don't do this for a living but I would imagine this should be a common practice?

-his helper dropped the wheelbarrow of concrete on my neighbour's property. I understand accidents happen, but they did not do a good job of cleaning it up (removing all the larger stones on his grass). I'm grateful my neighbours are nice and understanding

-maybe this is my fault for not investigating into this earlier, but there were extra charges I was not aware of ("marking fees" and the addition of an extra "man hour") and he did not make it clear at the beginning of the job. But I can't blame him as he was quite tired! (sarcasm)

This is hard work; I get it. It's why I hired a company to do it (and one that was regarded good by Homestars). I would probably not use them again in the future if I needed another post hole digging company. I don't think I'm unreasonable (as you can see from my other reviews), but this one just left me disappointed.

I do want to add though, that I found Paula (my first point of contact) to be very professional and pleasant, and she even contacted the locate companies for me. If only the on-site crew matched that professionalism.

You win some, you lose some!

Job Price

Thank you very much for your feedback. We always welcome constructive criticism and feedback we can use to improve our customer service. We're sorry that your experience with us was not up to par and we hope that we can better serve our future customers from your candid feedback. If you wish to further discuss the specific issues you had (ie. brackets, unagitated cement, and the spill on your neighbours lawn), please feel free to email us directly and we can see how we can address these concerns
Adrianne

2 reviews Caledon, ON

Pretty much botched this job years ago. Just writing about it now. Four posts - simple 10x12 and for some reason couldn't get the dimensions right. I had be really creative installing the pergola because of the poor job that was done. Still charged full price. Oh and one guy peed on the side of my house. Could have just asked to use the washroom...

Job Price

I'm sorry that your experience with us was not what you expected. While I cannot find you in our system as one of our clients, if it was in fact our company that did this job we do guarantee our work and if the mistake was in fact our fault we would have come to do whatever was needed to fix the problem

We have made many adjustments and improvements over the years based on customer feedback so I believe this is not indicative of the service we provide our clients.

We pride ourselves on our customer service and quality workmanship. We just ask that our clients address any issues with us so that we can have the chance to fix any mistakes that may have been made. We guarantee all our jobs and don't like leaving customers dissatisfied if we can help it.

I apologize that this was not the experience that you had with us. But we appreciate your feedback.

Best of luck
Adrianne

Susan from Toronto

We presented The Post Hole Diggers with one of the most difficult of conditions and they preformed perfectly: professionally, skillfully and quickly.

In response to our application for a 2.5m fence, our neighbour hastily installed a fence in February just 6” below grade. Upon receipt of our fence height approval, we arranged for the Post Hole Diggers to remove and replace our existing 6x6 posts, now immediately adjacent to our neighbour’s fence – a separation distance of roughly 2”.

Mike and his crew, strategized around the best way to remove our posts, without damaging the neighbours precariously placed fence. In a blink of an eye our posts were removed – AMAZING. However, the concrete casement had broken apart and was acting as a plug at the bottom of the hole. Mike’s crew held his ankles as he dove headfirst into the hole to remove the plug.

Installation of the new 6x6 posts went unbelievably fast - placing the posts at precisely the height and located that I wanted.

Roughly 6 months later one of the posts had twisted around the survey stake. Without a moments hesitation (no haggling, no threats, no debate) The Post Hole Diggers came out and replaced the post FREE OF CHARGE

I have used these folks in the past. I have and I will continue to highly recommend The Post Hole Diggers. They are craftsmen, specializing in removing, replacing and installing posts. It is my experience that these folks are well worth the money.

Hi Susan,

Thank you for the kind words. Our crews will always to whatever they can to make sure the job is done correctly the first time, even if that includes diving head first into holes :P and we are more then happy to fix the any issues with the posts, and we also a 5 year warranty on our cement too! We take pride in the quality of our work and always do our best to keep our customers happy!

Thank you for your recommendation!

Best wishes,

We had to replace our fence due to a dispute with our backyard neighbour. This proved to be a lengthy and difficult process, since 3 fence contractors prior to Mike at Post Hole Diggers, walked away from the project, refusing to work with this neighbour saying he was a bully and generally unpleasant to deal with. Mike came out at the very end of the season, on short notice, met with Igor and us and submitted a fair quote for the scope, which we reviewed with all neighbours with whom we share lot lines. Everyone was on board and work proceeded quickly and efficiently.

The Post Hole Diggers team was terrific and easy to work with. They went above and beyond, customizing board widths to work with our specific design. In fact, everyone was thrilled with the outcome, with the exception of our neighbour, for whom nothing would ever be good enough.
He wanted to build an 8' fence along the side of his lot (which exceeds municipal codes), using 4" posts. Mike had warned him that 4" posts will not sufficiently support that height with winds.

We wanted a more creative, horizontal fence with a variation of board widths. They worked with our design, delivering an outstanding result.

The neighbour's scathing review, citing leaving the tops caps off and posts exposed was as a result of my request, not Mike's neglect. I wanted to put a solar light cap on in the spring. To satisfy his client (and to smooth our life with this abrasive neighbour), Mike went out, after final payment, purchased and installed all the top caps.

We were very happy with the workmanship, quality of materials and
Not only would we recommend this company, but we will have them back in the spring to build another project. I am also an interior designer and will recommend them professionally on future client projects.

Job Price

Thank you for your kind words and recommendation. We always try our best not to walk away from people because of difficult situations. Sometimes you can't please everyone but we will always do our best! I am glad you are happy with the fence and the quality of the work we provided got you.

More about The Post Hole Diggers

We have been in the post hole digging industry for over 15 years. The Post Hole Diggers prides itself on its integrity, dependability and high quality workmanship. We value our customers satisfaction above all else and strive to deliver on what we promise. Our staff is professional, well trained, and eager to help and strongly believe that no job is too big, too small, or too hard as they always say If there is a will there is a way!!

We have managed over our 15 years in the business to build a reputation for our quality work and our professionalism which has given rise to large contracts with many contractors, construction companies and land developers. We are proud to say that our work speaks for itself and we get many happy repeat customers and referrals for it. We know you will be satisfied with us. Feel free to browse our testimonials for some feedback and reviews.

When working with us, you, the client, can be at ease knowing that we are fully insured for all aspects of the work (from liability to WSIB) and you bear no responsibility should something go wrong. However, we are proud to say that in 15 years we have never had to make any claims for any work related accidents. We always make sure to take all the necessary safety precautions to ensure a safe work environment for our clients and for our employees.