BkB Renovations

Reviews for BkB Renovations

Denise in Mississauga
Denise in Mississauga

Main floor

Stay far away.Starts projects and never finishes. Signed contract for 120k to remodelling of main floor in 5 weeks. After 8 weeks, 20% of project was completed which needed to be torn out and redone once he walked of refusing to fix the mess.
All electrical, plumbing and framework was mismeasured, punctured plumbing, washer and dryer didn’t fit in laundry closet, bathroom floor tiles and wall tiles were mixed up and crooked. Claimed all subcontractors were paid in full which they were not. His wife paid from her personal bank account initial deposit to all contractors not from corporate company. Ordered shower doors that were not the proper size. Kitchen was mismeasured and custom cabinets didn’t fit. Claimed cupboards were paid in full which they were not. After I stating that he needed to fix the mess before I give him money he walked
He does not overlook his projects he hires non-experienced wor

Denise is a con artist and a liar! I first signed a contract with Denise Bosse to do a small renovation project on her basement as she was no longer able to work and wanted an income from a basement apartment. The basement was to cost $55k and would take 5 weeks to complete. Two weeks before the project was to begin Denise called me to come over immediately to go over the details. When I arrived at her house she asked me to quote on remodeling her main floor first as she was now going to rent out the entire house as she was offered a job that required her to be abroad for several months at a time. I put together a new contract the next day and Denise signed. When this new contract was signed Denise informed me that her money wasn't available yet and that we might have to delay the start of her job (I had received no money to this point even though we require a small deposit upon signing of the contract) It was now less than two weeks before the start of the job and I couldn't afford to have my crew sitting and waiting. I informed Denise that we would move on to another project first and that she should let me know when her funds have cleared. I next heard from Denise over a month later to say she was ready. I told her that we were now on a project in Hamilton and that I wouldn't be able to do her job for several months as I was now doing a project in Hamilton and as she lived in Toronto. She asked me if there was any way I could get things going earlier and I explained that I could send in my crew to start but that I didn't like doing that as I would only be able to be at the site 3 times a week at most. She said she understood and would be happy with that solution. I told Denise that we would need her furniture and belongings moved from the main floor as we couldn't work around her stuff. Denise informed me that she and her boyfriend would have it all cleared out. A week before the job started Denise called to inform me that she wanted to start on the basement first as she would need the income from that space. I informed her that that would be fine but there were things that needed to be done before we could start. She asked that I come over to go over things. We spent over 3 hours going over the new layout for the basement. Part of the redesign was to reclaim some room from the storage/laundry room area. To accomplish this we would have to remove a large slab of concrete. Denise told me that she and her new boyfriend would take care of that. I told her it was quite a bit of work and was she sure they could handle it. She assured me that they were more than capable of doing it , she informed me that she had worked with her father to insulate and dry wall most of her main floor. 2 weeks later we showed up to start. When we showed up Denise informed me that she and her boyfriend weren’t able to get the basement ready and we should start on the main floor. I told her that would be fine but the main floor still had all her furniture and belongings that needed to be cleared out before we could start. She asked if my team would be willing to help her with that. We then proceeded to move all her belongings to the basement. After 2 hours of moving we were finally ready to begin. Unfortunately Denise wasn’t. She now wanted to modify the planned renovation for the upstairs as she was no longer going to work abroad but rather she was going to move in with her boyfriend and now wanted the entire house to become a rental property. It was at this point that I offered her a full refund as I found it impossible to constantly have these changes. She assured me that this would be the last set of changes and she wanted to proceed. 1 week into the job Denise now wanted to remove a wall and redesign the kitchen as she had left her boyfriend (for not finishing the basement prep). By this time the scope of the job had grown 3 fold over the original 5 week basement project. When we took down the new wall we discovered an enormous problem. It seems that Denise and her father had insulated and drywalled this section of the house and that her father decided to insulate using sawdust. Apparently he had used sawdust as an insulator back east and didn’t see a problem with using sawdust as an insulator. I explained to her that not only did sawdust have virtually no R value but it was a fire hazard and there was no way I could leave it in the walls. Denise then told me that most of the exterior walls were done the same way. I let her know that we would have to replace all this and gave her a cost for this extra and she agreed. Her erratic behaviour came to a head when the next payment was due. She started to scream at my crew that she would never pay me a dime and that she would do her best to ruin me and that she could get all the info on me she needed as she was now sleeping with my electrician. I could go into more detail but I find that distasteful. Unfortunately people can say anything they want without repercussions and in this case a con artist has spread lies about me and I can see no way to defend myself as people tend to believe some of the nonsense they read on line. I have been renovating for 38 years and in all that time I have had only 3 jobs that we walked off of, all of them for non payment. I hope you understand.

jodie
jodie

Kitchen Renovation

BKB was responsive to our many changes throughout the project. His recommendations on how to utilize the space we fantastic and gave us many more options for storage.
We love the space he created. It’s the room that our family spends the most time in now because it’s such a warm and comfortable space.

Samantha
Samantha

Bathroom Renos and Kitchen Facelift

We hired BKB to update our condo bathroom a few years ago and were so pleased with their work that when we moved into our house we had them update three of our washrooms and part of the kitchen.

In one bathroom we had the shower/tub removed entirely and redone. The tiling work is phenomenal.

Our ensuite bathroom was completely remodeled; originally we had two separate rooms, BKB removed the connecting wall and created one large bathroom. the entire space was gutted and recreated to our exact specifications. Moti was great to work with and very helpful - his years of experience allowed him to make valuable suggestions so that we ended up with a final product that is absolutely perfect!

Our downstairs powder room was also refreshed. We had a new toilet, vanity and mirror installed. Again, no complaints.

While all this was happening, Moti and his team also replaced our kitchen countertop and swung our kitchen peninsula to the wall to allow us more functional space in the existing kitchen until we are ready to tackle a full-on kitchen remodel.

Overall, we are very satisfied with the work done by BKB; the projects were well-done, the space was kept very clean while the work was being completed, Moti was responsive and knowledgeable. I was nervous starting out but we had no hiccups with any of our projects and everything was finished within the promised timeline.

When we are ready for our next reno we will definitely be calling BKB to come back.

Private User reviews , ON

Kitchen and Bathroom rebuild

Things started off positively, and the quality of the work done was ok.
However, halfway through the project, it became nearly impossible to reach him, and absolutely impossible to see him.
The project ran way over time, commitments were regularly missed, and updates were very rare.
There are still a few things left undone months later, but we've given up.

We do try to make sure that jobs are completed in a timely manner, however, this project was presented to us under false pretenses. The customers called us to renovate their kitchen and bathroom. When I arrived I found the house in complete disarray and was told that the customers had purchased it this way and were planning to renovated the home in stages. They had a limited budget and decided to buy a fixer upper. We came to an agreement on the scope of work and cost. Once we started, we discovered that the catalyst for doing the work were the outstanding city work orders. A visit from city officials dictated a drastic change in plan. We now had to comply with all exterior work orders first or our customers would face eviction. We came up with a new game plan and I even arrange fair financing so that they could keep their home. The first order of business was to clear out the rodent infested backyard, there were over 20 animals carcasses and at least three raccoons nests. It took two weeks and fifteen 40 yard bins to clear everything out. This seemed to placate the neighbors and stop the nearly daily fights I had to referee. We then proceeded to work on the interior of the house and made significant progress. Unfortunately the progress payments were lagging. I tried to contact the customers on several occasions to no avail. When we did finally speak, I was assured that the missed payments were forthcoming, they weren't. We had to stop work as the payments due amounted to over $30,000. I made several attempts again to resolve the situation including a meeting were we made arrangements for a partial payment to show good will and another revised payment schedule that was based entirely on completion targets. Again, the customers did not comply with the agreed upon plan. Since that time, I have been approached to be a material witness in an insurance fraud investigation against these people. We did our best to work with the customer despite the circumstances we faced, however, ultimately, their repeated noncompliance with the agreed upon payment plans lead us to our decision to leave this job incomplete.

Not with your hammer and your buddy swinging it

Ya so, kitchen renovation(basic),6month total vs. the 2month estimate(while we were living there), weeks without someone at the house actually working, 3 workers from ready higher that couldn't hammer a nail into a barn door, a lien on the house after he didn't pay the electrician, 3 court dates which he didn't show up for, pretty well sums it up. Though he does trade show very well and sells himself, I almost drove myself to his house when he wouldn't return my call after 3 weeks of not being on the job.

This is not a review of any job we have done.

More about BkB Renovations

BKB Renovations has been renovating homes in the GTA for over 30 years. The owner is Moti Berlad who takes a hands on approach to each project. All our estimates are done by Moti personally. We find that eliminating the salesperson minimizes design and fixture mistakes, allowing us to guarantee our price and ensure a surprise free renovation.