Penguin Basements

Michael in Richmond Hill
Michael in Richmond Hill
1 review Whitby, ON

Great Basement Reno

We were highly satisfied with the entire reno process, from beginning to end. The Penguin team exhibited great customer service, and were communicative and responsive throughout. Project was completed within 3 weeks and was as per the budget that had been established. The various trades were attentive and professional. A special thanks to Marlon our designated Site Supervisor who took great care in assuring that all of our expectations were met, and who was very diligent and a source of calm while the work was being undertaken.

Thanks for the review Michael. We'll make sure Marlon see's this. It's always nice to see members of our team recognized for their hardworking and passion.

anna.16
anna.16

Basement Renovation

The final product was excellent. We are very happy with how our basement looks. The process to get there, however, was a nightmare. Communication between the team and the client needs some major work. We had a long list of issues just on the second day of construction and when contacting the company no one responded to the e-mail that was sent. We finally had some issues resolved but it took awhile. Also, we had to give up on a few things we were promised before construction began.

Sorry for the delayed response Anna. As you can imagine this review led to several meetings internally to discuss where the current changes to our internal communication system may fall down. We will be encouraging customers to thoroughly read their contract before work begins to ensure everything discussed, is in fact, included in the scope of work. And we are seriously looking at ways to simplify, what is a very complicated process, by assigning as few senior people as possible to shepherd the project through the various stages to completion while managing communication. (pic.twitter.com/B1JEdNw11K) For every person added to a project, you add a myriad of possible communication paths, and as a renovation job can involve far, far more people than that... well you get the picture. We appreciate the honest review, and hope you enjoy your basement for many more years to come.

dennis.dinato
dennis.dinato
1 review Grimsby, ON

Basement Renovation

Process was easy and stress free. Quality of work is great as well - any deficiencies have been taken care of professionally with no hassle.

Enjoy the basement Dennis.

Serge &.
Serge &.

Legal Basement Apartment

We just completed the project of having our basement turned into a one bedroom apartment with Penguin Basements.
We are thoroughly pleased with the results, the quality of work completed by professionals and the outstanding service provided by everyone involved throughout the entire process. We are very demanding clients and we wish to especially thank our Project Manager Josh who always responded quickly and with a smile to all of our demands. Although the price was higher than other competitors, we strongly recommend Penguin Basements.
They took care of everything, from obtaining the building permit to the final occupancy inspection.

We try not to compete solely on price, as it can lead to short-cuts from what we've seen. But we do try and be very fair and transparent with our pricing. We wish you much success with your new Second Suite. And we'll pass on your kind words to Josh and the team.

Sandy in Newmarket
Sandy in Newmarket
1 review Newmarket, ON

Basement

The company looks good but the work is not the best money you can spend. People are very nice except Amy in the office. Josh is very hard working and goes out of his way to satisfy the customer.

Honestly shocked to read about Amy in this post. Generally known for being the kindest, most upbeat person in the office. Hopefully you are happy with your basement now and get many years of enjoyment from it.

Mark
Mark

Basement

Very pleased with our finished basement.
Walter (rough-in supervisor) and Vince (finishing supervisor) both did an awesome job. Walter was able to make a change in our duct work at our request without delay. Vince kept us well informed on his stage of the work because the builder trend application did not function very well going from Walter to Vince.
All of the teams involved were professional and courteous and were very happy to show us their work.

Thank you for the kind words. Enjoy the basement.

JP  in Whitchurch-Stouffville
JP in Whitchurch-Stouffville
1 review Whitchurch Stouffville, ON

Great work but horrible customer service

The work was completed on time and the quality was above average.

However the customer service is likely one of the worst experiences I have had.

On the very first day of construction one of the workers had an accident and the left blood all over the floor. I brought it the next day and was assured that it would be cleaned before the flooring was put down. Every day that went by I reminded them about the stains. Yet a week later when the flooring was going down the blood was not cleaned. There were unfinished areas that also had blood stains and those were not cleaned until a week after the job completed.

Also on the first day the workers had lunch on our front patio which was fine but one of them broke one of our chairs. That would have been fine if they let us know, but no one told us about it until I saw the damage. When I looked at my security camera tapes I could clearly see them laughing about breaking the chair. I was offered $400 for the trouble.

Our project included moving our hvac unit. Now our air conditioner is no longer working. I have left two voice mails because no one answers the phone there. I’ve also sent an email to multiple people with no response. They opened at 9am today and it’s almost 11am with no response.

We have escalated this internally. Someone will be reaching out to asap.

Follow-up. Unfortunately, workers (especially HVAC, handling sharp sheetmetal) may suffer cuts and bruises on a job. The blood was noted and disinfectant was ordered to the job site. The stains noted on the porous concrete were disinfected, and floor laid overtop. We'd also like to not that although our office is open weekends for appointments, the customer service staff are only on site M-F (unless there is an emergency) and we returned your weekend calls on the following weekday. We are also looking into A/C issue for you.

Image of the disinfected stains can be seen here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/me2pzz897vottd9/blood001.jpg?dl=0

Mare a.
Mare a.

154 Lio Ave - Paonessa Basement

I could sit here and say many things about all the things I wasn’t happy with, from the people who worked in my home, to the communication, to the workmanship, to the care about what my expectations were. Overall, this basement cost me 80,000 dollars, this is something that I would never pay for the quality of work that I had. I would never suggest this company to anyone else. To list a few things, the paint job looked like it wasn’t professional, my central vac oilers are so close together (I paid extra for those), and I can’t vacuum the stairs of my basement because it doesn’t reach. They didn’t make the walls close to the existing walls so I lost square footage, I have the wrong counter that was installed, the list goes on and on. When I wrote a letter during the project to express my concerns I got a very poor response. When a company is charging that kind of money I expected more understanding, empathy and someone to say let me come there and listen to your concerns. I am not naturally a complainer but I saved up for years to accomplish this for our family and overall we felt extremely well informed at the beginning and when it came to finished product it wasn’t with our expectations. Also, there was the site manager Josh, without him, I would have lost it. He was attentive, listened to concerns, tried to help wherever he could and tried to explain things. He is the only thing that was right about this renovation. If I could recommend anything about this Reno is that they hire people like Josh and make him run the whole project. Maybe then it will turn out right.

The project is still in progress, and we have an appointment at your home this week, no? We'll will look into this internally and get back to you this week here as well.

Antoniette  in Woodbridge
Antoniette in Woodbridge

Basement Renovation

We are nearing the finish line with our basement renovation and Although there have been a few hiccups we are completely satisfied with how the project is turning out. From the beginning Dan and Marlon have been wonderful to work with. Marlon has been completely hands on and understands our vision. We have left the project in his hands and are excited to see the end result. We would totally recommend Penguin.

Ah, how we wish basement renos were hiccup free. There's a lot of moving pieces in a renovation, and a lot of people involved, but we do our best to keep things flowing smoothly. And as you'll see, the supervisors are key to resolving issues and making sure everyone is on the same page. They truly care, and should look after everything for you. We hope you love the basement.

Catherine in Aurora
Catherine in Aurora
1 review Aurora, ON

Basement

I recently had my basement renovated by the guys at Penguin I am absolutely delighted with the results. The work was completed on time (2weeks). Vince, my site supervisor, was amazing he kept me up,to date with the progress and was always willing to answer my questions. He personally took care of a few little touch ups that needed to be done. I highly recommend the staff at Penguin for anyone looking to renovate their basement

We are happy you are happy Catherine. Enjoy your basement.

More about Penguin Basements

Penguin Basements is your full-service Basement Renovation Company.

Nothing beats a finished basement as a cost-effective way to add living space or rental income to your home in the Greater Toronto Region. Whether you need design, permits or a stunning build, let us help you unlock the value buried beneath your home today.

You'll find hundreds of our satisfied customers all across Southern Ontario. Our experienced, trained professionals make it easy for Penguin Basements to stand behind every job we do. So, If there's a basement renovation in your future, contact Penguin Basements today, where 100% total satisfaction is guaranteed!

• Guaranteed Mold-Free Materials
• FREE In-Home Design & Estimate
• Easy Financing Available
• No Interest for 12 Months*
• Transferable Lifetime Warranty

Be sure to check our one of our Basement Showcase Open House weekends where you can inspect our work up close and in person!