Penguin Basements

john in Owen Sound
john in Owen Sound
1 review Owen Sound, ON

Move On While You Still Can

I'm not sure where to start as this project was pretty much a disaster once I signed on the dotted line. The sales process was very robust, pricing was in line with other companies, and there are areas that they delivered on, but I didn't expect to have to be the quality control.

My opinion is to stop reading this review now, and simply don't select this company for your project. If you need more information here it is. A long list of areas of opportunity for improvement:
-This company is based out of Toronto and the GTA. That could have been part of the issue as every group of people that entered complained about the commute to KW.
-Their selections office required a reasonable 1+hr commute, I knew that, however that was my first sign that I should have walked away. It was not a well maintained office, floors scratched, needing a fresh coat of paint and some items for selection were damaged.
-They showed up without an appointment for the chaulk lines, no-one was home so they left after 10 min, I called back after 20 but they were on the highway back home. Then the same thing for insulation, luckily someone was home this time given the commute :)
-The waste bin they put on my driveway damaged the driveway with 3 or 4 gouges into the pavement and scared the concrete sidewalk.
-They ran two blankets of insulation around the basement, leaving a 3 or 4 inch gap in space between the upper and lower application. Their fix was stuffing insulation into the gap and tuck taping it which just came off in pieces a day later.
-Electricians were good guys and did a decent job. However, not sure who put the pot light brackets in but they were not aligned or centred. I fixed them overnight but missed the one in the hallway near the stairs. They drywalled the next day and cut the hole for the potlight. They ended up having to remove the drywall, adjust the electrical slightly and re-drywall.
-The plumber was good as well but would have forgotten or missed roughing in the wet bar (poor plans) had I not been present and because they are on a timeline it would have been drywalled over before I figured it out. Not sure what they would have done had I not noticed while they were doing the work.
-Trying to stay on schedule they were laying the flooring while the drywall was being finished which is not the best approach if you don't want dust trapped under the floor.
-Because the stairway at the top narrows 3 inches half way down they installed a straight railing with a 3 inch block screwed into the wall, protruding from the wall, to screw the top of the railing into.
-Within 2-3 months there were 3 areas where the floor was peeling, we hadn't even really used it yet as we were still furnishing it. They did respond and come in and replace those floor boards, however they had to be cut out and glued to the concrete.
-The bathroom was very poorly done. It looks worse than the one we took out. The drywall is sloppy and paint on the walls and baseboards is poor. Yes it's a very small space but it shouldn't look worse that what I took out. They gave me a $500 credit to support me getting fixing it myself or hiring someone else - decent gesture but I would have rather had it done right and not have 2 extra meetings with the regional manager to get there.

Those are most of the issues along with several other minor inconveniences. The worst part was having to monitor their work regularly, which I felt I had to do because from the chaulk lines on there were issues. Had things for a week gone smoothly I probably would have backed off but there was a problem at every turn. Not an enjoyable process which I'm reminded of regularly when using the washroom or simply going down the stairs as I'll be replacing the railing given it's very cheaply made and looks that way. In some areas the paint will need some work also, seems if it's leaned on marks are left that don't just wipe down.

There are some good people there, but, the quality and general quality of work and responsiveness needs a lot of work. Look elsewhere for your home renovation project.

Basement Renovation

We are very pleased on how well our basement renovations turned out.
Many thanks to Josh and his team for their professional and courteous service. As the project manager, Josh went above and beyond. We would highly recommend Penguin Basement for your home renovations.

We're pleased you're pleased. Enjoy your basement.

Raye Austin in Georgetown
Raye Austin in Georgetown
0 reviews Halton Hills, ON

Timely, professional and good quality

The team of workers were very pleasant and respectful. I was extremely impressed with how the job ran on time, and I was continuously updated on what was being done and who would be doing what. The quote was accurate and once the design was finalized and the job started there was no attempt to charge more.

I’m extremely happy with the work Penguin did in finishing my basement.

Thanks for taking the time to post such kind words Raye. We appreciate our clients and couldn't be be more happy than when we hear they enjoyed the experience as much as we did. Enjoy your basement.

Monica And Eugene  in Aurora
Monica And Eugene in Aurora
0 reviews Aurora, ON

FULL basement and main floor reno

Excellent full home renovation from Penguin!! They did both our main floor and our basement and it all turned out AMAZING. We’re very happy with everything and would highly recommend them!

Shhhh. Don't let it get out we did the main floor as so we'll be getting all sorts of general contracting requests. ;-) Only our basement clients get that kind of attention. We are very happy to hear we met your expectations. Enjoy the basement (and upstairs as well ;-)

Private User reviews Barrie, ON

Basement appartment

We put in a basement apartment. Josh and his team did an amazing job. They were always very professional. He worked very hard to ensure we were happy. I would recommend his team for your project

Thank you for your positive review and for recommending us. We're thrilled that you're happy and hope your new apartment will make someone feel right at home. We view ourselves not just as a contractor but also a customer care team. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact us.

Private User reviews Newmarket, ON

Basement apartment

Do not under any circumstances use this company nothing was sone proper the shower leaked and caused holes and cracks around outer wall and tiles to start coming off the shower wall after hiring someone capable of doing renovations and removing the shower there was no water proofing behind the tile just straight drywall that’s just 1 of many many major problems costing thousands in repair costs

We're sorry, we are currently reviewing to better understand your concerns. We will respond with more details, shortly. Thank you.

UPDATED Feb 6, 2020 at 1:14 pm. Thank you for your review. Obviously our goal is to get better ones than this. We checked our system and we have one outstanding service item that has been scheduled for a shower repair later this month. The item was not marked as urgent. We will escalate it right now however, and update the service date shortly. Please check you BuilderTrend account and ensure any other issues are noted.

If you are uncomfortable with how the customer portal works and need help with this or any warranty issue, please call us at 1-866-262-8298 and we will be pleased to show you how it works.

We look forward to resolving this matter to your satisfaction.

nkanwar
nkanwar

Kitchen, bathroom (2) renovation

Overall the work was done well. I would definitely recommend Vince and his team. We had to struggle a bit to get to the end result as there was a lack of communication at first. I know they are working to correct this. Our kitchen and bathrooms look great.

Thanks for your understanding and kind review. Communication is always something we strive to improve continually but it still provides a challenge when new people are onboarded. Rest assured though, we will never leave a client hanging. We've passed your kind words on to Vince. Enjoy the finished product.

Basement reno

Very professional, the site manager and crew are very courteous. The office staff was very helpful picking up the decor. I strongly recommend them to anyone who wants to get to basement renovated.

Thank you for taking the time to review. We are so happy that you had a positive experience. Our goal is to ensure our clients have a smooth reno because we would like the same service. We hope you and your family will create fond memories in your new basement. All the best.

Sabrina B.
Sabrina B.
0 reviews Kitchener, ON

Basement renovation

We began our journey into creating a space we had put a lot of time into designing. So we needed someone who would respect of much this meant to us. We needed someone we trusted to get this project done and we could not have asked for a better company and most importantly, project manager, Vince. Vince made sure we were able to reach him any time with absolutely anything we needed. He was always there. This process of renovating can be a stressful one, but I can tell you, because of Vince, it was the smoothest transition. Vince made sure to always stick to his word, and not only was he working and demonstrating his work ethic, he built a relationship with our family which made us feel as if it was family taking care of us. Every contractor that was brought to us through Penguin all demonstrated professionalism and great quality of work. Our overall satisfaction with our new basement can not be measured on a scale. We are beyond happy and so excited, all thanks for the work of Penguin which was guided by Vince. He put in the time and his word and always came through. For all of this, our family thanks you. He was truly amazing through it all.

Thanks for the kind words Sabrina. We've worked hard to make what is otherwise a stressful experience for most people --renovating -- as comfortable as possible. And we've tried to do that by emphasizing that our clients are part of the Penguin family. Vince has taken that to heart and believes in it fully. He even makes us in the office feel that way. We hope your basement brings you years of joy. Happy Holidays.

Steve in Palgrave
Steve in Palgrave
1 review Caledon, ON

Basement for morra ave

Very happy with the build and service, from the start of the process to day of completion Josh the project manager has been on top of everything. He has kept us in the loop when it comes to date changes and even with the winter weather the job proceeded quickly.

We are very satisfied with the results as penguin met all of our goals in completing the basement.

When our dog had injuries himself and we had to delay the start of the project, penguin was very accommodating and was more interested in accommodating our needs than trying to take our money.

From prep work to clean up penguin took care of everything with minimal interruption to us.

I would highly recommend giving them a cal if you are interested in having your basement renovated or finished. They will not be the cheapest quote but they did give us great dollar for value as we never had to chase down contractors and the project moved forward quickly

Thank you for the review and recommendation. We work hard to accommodate the homeowner's schedule and we're so trilled that we made you happy!

More about Penguin Basements

Penguin Basements is your full-service Basement Renovation Company.

Nothing beats a finished basement as a cost-effective way to add living space or rental income to your home in the Greater Toronto Region. Whether you need design, permits or a stunning build, be sure to call the Renomark certified contractor Penguin for a Free Estimate today.

You'll find hundreds of our satisfied customers all across Southern Ontario in the GTA, the Tri-Cities Area and the Greater Ottawa Area. Our experienced, trained professionals make it easy for Penguin Basements to stand behind every job we do. So, If there's a basement renovation in your future, contact Penguin Basements today, where 100% total satisfaction is guaranteed! Don't get scammed by fly-by-night operators, unrealistically low prices, too short build times or fake reviews. We invite you to visit us in person anytime.

• Basement Renovation Specialist
• Guaranteed Mold-Resistant Materials
• FREE In-Home Design & Estimate
• Easy Financing Available
• No Interest for 12 Months*
• Transferable Limited Lifetime Material Warranty
• 2-Year Comprehensive Warranty
• Exclusive Penguin Benefits

Be sure to check our one of our Basement Showcase Open House weekends where you can inspect our work up close and in person!