Penguin Basements

Reviews for Penguin Basements

Stefanie
Stefanie

Basement renovation

Penguin Basements exceeded my expectations - and I’m a picky customer! I was admittedly at first a little hesitant as we live in an older Toronto home, had recently underpinned our basement and knew the complexities of our project were anything but ordinary. Penguin handled these challenges with ease, and took care of any issues that arose promptly and professionally. HUGE credit goes to our Project Manager Vince Sciaraffa for going above and beyond to ensure the timeline was met, the work was done to the highest standard, and we were always kept in the loop. His communication skills, attention to detail, eye for quality workmanship and level of professionalism is so rare to find in the industry. Big thanks also to Chris Reece on the office side of things, helping us every step of the way even as we embarked on the underpinning process (all pre-Penguin work). Overall we are so thrilled with our new basement!

Thanks for taking the time to post a review Stefanie. It's appreciated when a happy customer takes the time and effort to put their experience to words. We'll be sure to pass on your kind words to Vince and Chris. Enjoy the basement!

F. Campanelli in North York
F. Campanelli in North York

Great finished but many bumps along the way

Basement Review
Pros:
- great finished product
- very competitive pricing
- quick turnover: 1000+ sq ft basement completed in 2 weeks (as promised) compared to 6-8 week timeline from other contractors
- available online website which stores all project documents, photos and contacts you can message for any necessary correspondence
- Workers were very friendly
- All necessary touch-ups were done in a timely fashion by our project manager
- All remaining supplies like paint and plaster powder were left for any future necessary touch-ups (except for the stairway hand-rail stain).

Cons:
- the online website meant for correspondence wasn’t very useful messages were returned no earlier than within 2-3 days
- our project manager was out of town and unavailable during part of our project and there was no one else who could respond to us in timely manner (again no earlier than 2-3 days). Communication despite the online tool was poor and untimely.
- building material drop-offs were done at times we were not expecting them. We DID have scheduled dates & times but they weren’t done those days. So twice I took time off from work to be home expecting deliveries and twice they didn’t deliver those days. This was a problem because they had to be placed into the garbage therefore scheduling a time for us to be home was essential. They didn’t deliver during those times. Luckily we were still home when they finally did show up (but just as I was about to leave) otherwise the supplies would’ve been delivered on another day and our schedule would’ve been delayed. This happened twice and was a big inconvenience because we had to change our schedule to fit their what seemed to be their disorganized delivery times.
- the painters used this company (or atleast this one particular crew) although being very friendly left our bathroom in quite the mess. Part of the contract was providing the workers with a bathroom to use during the project. That wasn’t the issue. The issue is just because our home was technically a construction site didn’t mean that our bathroom was to be treated like one of those portable ‘ Johnny-on-the-spot’ bathrooms. Without the getting into too much detail let’s just that the toilet was left in quite a mess.
- Another part of the contract was to provide the workers with a sink with running water to use for mixing materials etc. This same painting crew who used our main floor laundry room sink to wash their paint brushes left paint splatters everywhere in our sink, walls and floor. They didn’t bother to clean up after themselves and forgetting that this was a home and not a construction site.
- Although they did send a cleanup crew as part of the service (which was a good idea on their behalf) to clean the whole basement area, BUT they had to be reminded to clean our paint splattered laundry room sink, floor and walls (even though I was reassured by the project manager that it would’ve been done). Again, poor communication. Even when I told them they had forgotten to clean it (as they were about to leave) they still did an unsatisfactory job at scrubbing the sink, walls and floor as I would’ve done. In fact, I had to do this myself after they had left.
- I am still awaiting a response from the project manger regarding why I wasn’t given any leftover handrail stain (or atleast to tell me the colour of the stain so I can get it myself). I was told by the project manger that he’s find out and get back to me ASAP. Again I was reassured a timely response but I’m still waiting. I’ve been waiting since November 29th for a response. Again poor and untimely correspondence.

Overall
Although we as a family are very happy with the finished product and looking forward to enjoying our newly finishes basement, there were many inconveniences along the way, like poor communication, disorganized and inconvenient scheduling of deliveries as well as workers who treated our home like a construction site. In short, we loved WHAT they did with our basement, but DIDN’T love how they went about doing things. But we’re still glad we chose Penguin basements and would recommend them to others.

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We have taken note of your pros and cons and will make adjustments to our processes accordingly. Thank you. Enjoy the basement.

tag_baker
tag_baker
1 review Barrie, ON

Basement finished

Our basement was completely unfinished and the Penguin team came in and gave us beautiful new finished basement. The work was done within the expected time frame of two weeks. There were just a few minor glitches which were handled quickly and professionally by our project manager Vince S. He was very friendly, made sure everything was to our liking, and just a really nice guy.
Thanks to everyone who helped out on the project.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We'll be sure Vince see it. Enjoy your basement.

Colbourne b.
Colbourne b.
1 review Innisfil, ON

Basement renovation

The work was done in a timely manner with quality craftsmanship. We are extremely pleased with the work that was done. Vince and his crew were very professional, polite & respectful while in our home. We will highly recommend this company to anyone that asks. We have a very nice,cozy basement that we can enjoy year round. Thank you Penguin basements!

You're welcome. Enjoy the basement!

Dee Viz in Toronto
Dee Viz in Toronto
1 review Barrie, ON

Basement project

If you want a basic basement, these guys are okay. Insulation, framing, electrical, drywall, paint and floors. The basics but at a premium for sure. Overpriced by about 25% but if you want convenience then pay for. I would not hire for anything beyond that. Workmanship is rudimentary, a step above DIY and finishings are average builders grade. Our problems mostly started at trim time. Plumbing concrete not poured completely, trim in wrong places and “recycled”, door missed in order, another door damaged and patched, custom bookcases not made to order TWICE, undercupbiard bare, undercupboard hole not patched, stonework rudimentary, electrical outlets on stone badly finished, pillar stonework finishing not professional, trim on pillar patch job, poor finishing choices for wet bar (did not capture our vision, more like kitchen than entertainment oriented), decorative shelving quality poor (glued together laminate). In the end, 3 weeks late as well. Expected better quality, better workmanship. If you want the basics and don’t care about $, they are ok. Anything with quality finishes, look elsewhere.

Hi Dee. Hopefully you got some satisfaction after we sent out the management team to visit. We will be following up next week to fix issues as discussed. Thanks for talking the time to post the review. It helped us uncover some on-site issues we were unaware off, and we are modifying our processes to address such items going forward. We run a "Signature Series" build on long-term very customized builds, and now thanks to items you pointed out, we will bring some off those processes and check lists down to our standard builds to ensure non-standard items are dealt with correctly. Enjoy the basement.

Nadia Dalimonte in North york
Nadia Dalimonte in North york

Basement Renovation

I hired Pengiun Basements to finish the basement in my new-build home. We created an open concept family space, with a kitchen servery, kids play area, tv area and full bathroom. The project started on time. 90% of the work was complete within two weeks of the start date, incuding digging and refilling significant trenches. Some of the final steps like cabinetry installation took a couple of weeks longer. The process was well coordinated. I appreciated the attention that was paid to ensuring the work was done to Code and securing the appropriate permits. The site supervisor, Fabio, was professional and paid attention to every detail to ensure that the final result was beautiful. This is a company that is very proficient in completing basements. I recommend that anyone planning to complete their basement plan every detail before the work starts, as the plans are somewhat set in stone once the work begins.

Thank you for taking time to post a review Nadia, we really appreciate it. We will share the kind words with Fabio. And thanks also for the bit of advice to others considering a basement renovation. The more detailed the plan, the smoother the build. Enjoy your basement.

Private User reviews Brampton, ON

My Dream Basement

I am really satisfied with the company performance in terms of workmanship and the quality of the materials and the construction. My only complain is the quality of work of the cleaners and the communication in terms of the time of response of my messages posted in buildertrend and the communication between traders, site Manager and Central office. However, I recommend 100% Penguin Basement for your basement finishing.

Thank you for the honest and constructive review. This helps us build a better company. Enjoy your dream basement!

Shari Simsons in Newmarket
Shari Simsons in Newmarket
2 reviews Newmarket, ON

Basement Finished

Our basement was completed quickly and in less time than promised! We were impressed with the efficiency of the workmen, as well as our Project Manager, Vince Sciarf. He always took the time to ensure the quality was up to the standards the company promised even if meant staying later to finish the job properly. We felt very comfortable with the project as a result of his management of our project. We would definitely recommend them.

Thank you for the kind words Shari. We are happy that your PM, Vince made you feel comfortable. Enjoy the basement!

Humphreys  in North York
Humphreys in North York

Humphreys Reno

We are so happy with our Reno from Penguin Basements. They were quick, clean and friendly and our project manager Josh went above and beyond to complete our Reno. We would highly recommend them if you are looking for a high quality basement renovation!

Thanks for the review. We work hard every day to build a better company to deliver as positive an experience as possible to our clients. Our team will be happy to see that they delivered. Thanks for taking the time to post a review. Enjoy the basement.

More about Penguin Basements

Penguin Basements is your full-service Basement Renovation Company.

Nothing beats a finished basement as a cost-effective way to add living space or rental income to your home in the Greater Toronto Region. Whether you need design, permits or a stunning build, be sure to call the Renomark certified contractor Penguin for a Free Estimate today.

You'll find hundreds of our satisfied customers all across Southern Ontario. Our experienced, trained professionals make it easy for Penguin Basements to stand behind every job we do. So, If there's a basement renovation in your future, contact Penguin Basements today, where 100% total satisfaction is guaranteed! Don't get scammed by fly-by-night operators, unrealistically low prices, too short build times or fake reviews. We invite you to visit us in person anytime.

• Guaranteed Mold-Resistant Materials
• FREE In-Home Design & Estimate
• Easy Financing Available
• No Interest for 12 Months*
• Transferable Limited Lifetime Material Warranty
• 2-Year Comprehensive Warranty

Be sure to check our one of our Basement Showcase Open House weekends where you can inspect our work up close and in person!