Minto Homes

Abeyfort in Oshawa
Abeyfort in Oshawa
1 review Oshawa, ON

Minto Kingmeadow Ravine Lot

We bought a pre-con home in their Kingmeadow development. Design center is a disaster. One of their people, Nicole, was so incompetent she accidentally sent us their subcontractor pricing in an excel sheet which showed Minto marks up all of their subcontractors by 100%!!! Unreal... Something that should cost 300 bucks gets marked up by the sub to 600 and then Minto marks it up to 1200. So you pay 300% markup.... fantastic.

Construction was decent when it comes to the structure. A lot of the finishes are garbage though. When we moved into our house we still had incomplete work. We did A LOT of upgrades on the main floor so we seemed to have gotten slightly better quality than our neighbors. They screwed up a bunch of our changes so they had to fix them.

Our 30 day Tarion submission had over 100 items on it... took months upon months to rectify. They had to rip out our entire staircase, redo our pocket doors multiple times (ended up giving us a cash settlement for 50% on the pocket doors which was their markup... LOL). They eventually had to have 3 guys come to our house for 3 days to fix a million nail pops on our trim cuz they used the wrong gauge of nails when installing.

Their master care should be renamed to "Dont Care". Every issue had to get escalated to the next level to be resolved (sometimes we even had to go to their VP!).

Luckily my friend is a contractor so he fixed a lot of the crap for me. We also did a lot of contractor upgrades after the fact at a fraction of what the builder wanted to charge.

When we bought the home the market was hot so they didnt even give me a broker commission even though I'm a real estate broker. Now they are trying to sell their next project at Ivy Ridge and are paying 2.5% cuz no one will buy their homes, not just because they are a pain to deal with, but because their prices are also way above market value. They are even offering $120k in incentives and people still wont buy. When the going is good they treat you like garbage. Then when the market is slow they try to kiss your behind. I know I definitely wont be buying one.

Be smart, don't buy a preconstruction home from Minto unless you want a MASSIVE HEADACHE.

Terrible Service

I've been living with Minto Properties for over five months now and am so disappointed. The number of issues I've had just go on. First off, when I moved in, multiple light switches in the apartment were sticky. For months I literally had to PUNCH my light switch to get it to turn on. I emailed my landlord for months to try and get him to do three simple things for me: fix the light switch (which could have been a fire hazard if the problem was the wiring), fix a socket that had a metal prong stuck in it (which is an obvious safety hazard), and set up our buzzer for the front entrance. After countless emails for months, he eventually just stopped replying all together, and gave me no choice but to email his manager. Finally after living here for four months, the light switch and socket were fixed. Here I am on my sixth month of living here though and still have no buzzer. As well, when I was showed the apartment, I was told I could have the door to my bedroom changed for a better one for when I move in. The door(s) I currently have are basically double doors that you'd see on an old closet. There is absolutely no privacy whatsoever due to how thin and flimsy they are but now I'm stuck with these doors because they never did change them (oh but they did have time to fix the knob that was broken after I moved in, how lovely) To add on to that, when I moved in I set up preauthorized payments for my rent. After four whole months of that not working and me having to pay it manually every time, I finally just emailed him and told him to forget about it and that I'd continue paying it myself online. This month, the 1st happened to fall on a Sunday. I made the payment online but it didn't go through until Monday the 2nd. Today, on the 4th, my roommates came home to an eviction notice stating that I owed them rent money. I checked online and the payment 100% went through on the 2nd. This company is beyond disorganized. My landlord apparently has time to give me a notice of eviction for rent that I ALREADY paid, but doesn't have time to reply to an email regarding safety hazards in my apartment. Bloody ridiculous.

Private User reviews Oshawa, ON

Minto Is A Disgraceful Company

I purchased a townhouse at Minto Kingmeadow in 2015. From the design centre meetings to the Pre-delivery inspection, 1 month and 1 year Tarion Warranty Inspections and owing/ living in this home for close to 2 years- I have experienced subpar craftsmanship, terrible customer service, runarounds and complete unsatisfaction from this builder. Buyer beware! They have a high staff turnover, they hire subcontractors to put your house together and they pay those subcontractors by piece work which means they aren't hourly wage workers so they slap together your home (baseboards, drywall, stairs, tiles, etc) as quickly as they can because that's how they make money. There is no quality. My baseboards had dust and debris painted into them. Who does that?! And on what planet is that considered acceptable for a brand new home? Two years later and I'm still waiting for my driveway to be paved. Minto says they are not obligated to put asphalt but they will do it as a courtesy when they are available to do so. The condo townhomes across from me had the driveways completed before the owners took occupancy and here I am paying $100,000 more for my home and I'm still waiting. I could honestly write a novel about all of the issues I've had but it's really upsetting as a first time homeowner so I'll leave it at this: Minto is a subpar home builder with high prices and crappy customer service. Have your 5 year old build you a home and it will probably look better!

NEVER BUY FROM MINTO

I moved into 30 Roehampton, the construction quality is garbage. The master-care team was a joke at fulfilling its obligations. I moved in for my interim occupancy and the place was not even completed, walls were built on angles, chips and marks everywhere, cracks everywhere. It's like nobody inspected the place before handing it over. Just garbage, will never buy from Minto again and will never recommend someone do the same.

General experience

Living here was great and before trying to move out, I'd recommend it. Since giving my notice we've had people enter without notice, claim to come and never show up (and we have dogs we have to have away for when they come as per their request so that's annoying) and to top it all off we've had an inspection that claims we need to prime all of our WHITE, untouched walls. All of the walls that we have not painted we are now required to prime. We painted our kitchen, of course we will prime that. We painted our bathroom... We are NOT being asked to prime that ???? The woman named Olga who was our contact "if we had any questions" and of course we did. The apartment is in great shape, nothing damages, white clean walls, so were confused as to why we have to prime everything OR be subject to a $400 fee. She refused to help us, gave me attitude and told me the super would come see me. I could go on about all of what she said but that's not even relevant. Its not even worth living here just to be bullied when we leave. I had been warned when I moved in of others having foul experiences but moving in was so pleasant I couldn't imagine it would go like this. We already pay $2000 a month for a 2 bedroom and the price goes up every year more than the legal rent increase because of how much work they claim to do around the building. Very stressful, VERY expensive place to live and just not worth it.

Private User reviews Ottawa, ON

New Build (Town Home Orleans)

Love my house, new build, moved in about a year ago. After-care service has been terrible, they will not get back to you. The 30 day inspection happened (after missing it a few times because they "went to the wrong house", I had taken days off for this). Once you buy the house they will 100% forget about you/not care to return your calls/emails.

Private User reviews Brockville, ON

Minto Stoufville

Minto stouffville townhouse leaks if you buy one with a rooftop please waterproof roof it will have issues. Multiple neighbours have water leaking in every location possible beware the quality of build is sub par.

Buyer Ottawa in Ottawa
Buyer Ottawa in Ottawa
1 review Ottawa, ON

buy a new home a few days ago, be careful!!

after sign contract, I figure it out, minto offer 3 free appliances, but you need install them after closing day by yourself (you need to hire sb to install and pay by yourself, previously minto will install them for free)

condo construction

don't buy Minto's condo, really bad quality and worst customer service with no knowledge in basic construction. Minto try not to fix problems and claims the problems is normal like that. They just want to grab your money. They foolish themselves!

Private User reviews Brockville, ON

Minto Management

Mito Management appears to be on a race to the bottom,How much money and poor service can they take from tenants before the sites all get sold.Try talking with any Minto management i swear they havve hired the dumbest people in order to get them to fufil their demands. They are brainless individuals and don't even know it. Its unbelievable it used to be nice when the service was personal now its just a money grabbing machine with out most disrespect of us tenants

Looking for Builders pros in Ottawa?