The 'upscale' fixture/fan combo in our upstairs hallway was acting up. While the fan worked, the light didn't, suggesting possible faulty wiring. Don and Ryan of Ring Electric were very punctual, arriving when they said they would, and carried out a thorough inspection of the wiring, and of the bulb socket and bulb itself, checking and re-checking the readings on their meters. Though we had installed a new LED bulb to fix the lighting issue initially, which worked for 2-3 weeks, turned out this new bulb was a dud! Once a new working bulb was installed, problem gone! Thank you Ring Electric for fixing our problem and restoring our peace of mind.
- Company Response
Thanks for the feedback.
Your comments are much appreciated.
All the best, Bryan Verhulp, CEO Ring Electric Inc.