A Better Way Plumbing Ltd.

Drainage Contractors
Drain Services
A Better Way Plumbing Ltd.

Reviews for A Better Way Plumbing Ltd.

Curtis  from Calgary
Curtis from Calgary

Installation of Tankless Water Heater Without Permit

We had a tankless water heater installed in February of 2018 by ABWP. It was an emergency repair as we came home to an inch of rust-coloured water on the basement floor about 7 in the evening. I immediately got on the Homestars site to find a reputable plumber to install a new unit. Jason at ABWP was friendly and helpful with making the decision in this hour of need to upgrade from a tank to a tankless unit (significant rebate from the AB gov’t) and agreed to come at 8:00 AM the next morning. We found Jason and his employees to be gregarious and outgoing during which communicated to us that they truly enjoyed what they did. The unit was installed by the end of day and has worked proficiently ever since. My only complaint of the work at this time was they did not clean up after coring through the concrete to allow the exhaust pipe to be vented to the exterior. There was cutting fluid and residue all over the window and down the wall. There was no attempt to clean this up which indicates the small details are of no concern to ABWP. In November of this year, we had another contractor in to provide an estimate for a furnace replacement and he happened to examine the tankless water heater… This is where ABWP earned a 5/10 because of his assessment. He made the observation that there was no inspection tag on the unit. This is absolutely necessary for a job like this as new gas lines had to be installed to accommodate a tankless unit that is always wall mounted. Upon further inquiry by calling 311, I learned that no City of Calgary permit had been pulled for this job so naturally there would have been no subsequent inspection of the work. Somebody in this field who doesn’t pull permits is either negligent or has no knowledge of industry standards which would be astounding to say the least. To this date, no work permit has been pulled and no inspection has been completed essentially rendering our unit illegal until this happens. Upon further research and the opinion of a competent contractor I learned that he did not properly seal the vent that connected to the old tank water heater and merely inserted an end cap that came out in my hand as it was not screwed in and sealed. This pipe is still venting the exhaust from the furnace and needs to be sealed to ensure no undue release of carbon monoxide.
I would like to give balance to this review and state that the work of ABWP was done competently in regards to the installation of the tankless unit but I would caution anyone who contracts them to install a new furnace or tankless hot water tank. You should insist that they have pulled the permit on the day of installation as it seems they don’t do due diligence in this regard and insist they arrange the inspection to ensure they did not cut corners and it meets code. I do believe in this case they did not pull the permit because they feared the inspector would not pass the work because of the shortcuts they took in not remediating existing pipes. As well, they used 2 inch pipe instead of 3 inch pipe for the exhaust pipe and intake. This meets the minimum code but as another contractor suggested why not use 3 inch which is more suitable for our high elevation to ensure maximum air flow and exhaust. It is small details like this that distinguishes the contractors that truly exemplify excellence and customer service from those who do work at a minimum level to maximize profit and time/effort. In summary, you will enjoy the genial personality of Jason and his crew, have work done competently with a few shortcuts taken that may or may not meet code, may end up with an installed unit that was not permitted by the City and therefore be illegal because it will not have been inspected.

Review has 1 previous version
Sandy in Calgary
Sandy in Calgary

Kitchen Sink Clog

I had a nasty clogged sink in my kitchen. I had tried a few different ways to get it unclogged. My Room mate opened the p trap to empty the sink, and broke the seal on the pipe. I finally gave up and called Jason! Best idea I have ever had! I used the get a quote option on here and he quoted me $200 + parts. Mitch came on time (early actually) and proceeded to repair the pipe. When done he poured some industrial drain cleaner down. Told us not to use the sink for 24 hrs. After that we were to fill the sink with cold water and then pull the plug. Well.... it didn't work. I called Jason back and they came out again. Snaked it this time and whoosh......it works!! Thanks guys for all your work! I appreciate it!!

Hi Sandy,
Thank you for the kind words. We really appreciate the business and for taking the time to let us know of your experience.

Dave in Calgary
Dave in Calgary

Replace Main Water Shutoff Valve

We called A Better Way Plumbing to replace our main water shutoff valve, which had a very slow drip (non-emergency call). After we arranged the date/time with the city to turn off water outside, A Better Way arrived and removed the existing valve, only to discover they didn't have the replacement valve in stock. We were informed the required part was being couriered from Edmonton and would arrive by 9am the following day. We did not receive any updates the following morning until we phoned to ask for a status update. We were informed that the part did not arrive on time and was now scheduled to arrive that afternoon. By 2pm, we had not received any updates so we phoned again and were informed that the part had arrived. By 4:30pm the day after starting the job, they were able to finish it.

Our family was without water for 24 hours. No status updates were initiated by A Better Way during those 24 hours. They were quick to blame their supplier for the issues/delays but they cannot pin the lack of communication on their supplier. Payment took 15 minutes as the Plumber was having difficulties with his payment machine, which included him having to call their admin for help. No discount was provided to reflect the inconvenience or lack of communication. We were told we would get a coupon for a future service. While we don’t intend on using A Better Way again, it’s important to point out that we have yet to receive the coupon (writing of this review is 3 weeks after the service was performed).

The new shutoff valve is working / performing well and the work area was left tidy.

Hi Dave,
We are sorry to hear about your experience with us. It was unfortunate that our suppliers did not have your replacement valve in-stock at the time of the house call. We apologize for the inconvenience. We do try to communicate as best as possible with the customer if there is going to be a delay. We will take your comments as a learning experience for us on how we can improve our customer service during situations like this.

Genny in Calgary
Genny in Calgary

Great Plumber - call this company

We have used Jason (A Better Way Plumbing) for different problems we had - from adding a natural gas line for the BBQ, to fixing a leaky kitchen faucet, to a leaky shower and leaky toilet, replacing a water tank, etc. (It's an older house, so it's expected). His estimate are always spot on (no surprises down the road). He comes quickly and does great work without leaving a mess behind him. He is now our dedicated plumber. I highly recommend A Better Way Plumbing for professional services, yet friendly and personalized at the same time

Hi Genny,
Thank you for the great review. Jason takes a lot of pride in his work and business. Please refer us to all your friends.

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

Hot water tank inspection

Jason arrived right within the two hour window. We wanted to have the hot water tank inspected before leaving on vacation. He assured us everything was in order and did not charge us anything. We are so impressed with this company and especially Jason's very friendly and efficient service. We highly recommend this company and are so happy we found Jason and A Better Way Plumbing here on Homestars.

Thanks for the review. Glad your hot water tank is working fine. We try to provide the best customer service experience as possible and do not like to overcharge our customers if no work is needed. Please refer us to all your family and friends in the future.
Thanks

Happy i.
Happy i.

Hot Water Tank Replacement

'A Better Way Plumbing' installed a new Bradford White hot water tank in the basement and removed the old tank. The Bradford White tank is a step above the water tanks installed by the Big Box companies and the install was a breeze with Mitch. I would use "A Better Way Plumbing" again for any plumbing or heating needs.

Hi Happy,
Thanks for the review. I hope you are enjoying your new Water Heater.
We take pride in making sure our customers get the best product's available. Please refer us to anyone who needs any plumbing need's done in the future.

MCS
MCS

Low water pressure

Jason came out within the two hour window I was promised. He efficiently resolved a problem I had with low pressure on my hot water taps by cleaning out the aerators and flushed the hot water tank. Their prices are very fair and I like that I can pay after the fact via e-transfer and have a receipt emailed to me. I would (and have) recommended Jason to others.

Brian Flavelle
Brian Flavelle

Damp basement

Jason was very quick to help us out when we had water and minor mould issues in our basement. We were running an Airbnb and needed to have a safe environment for our guests. Turned out to be more than anticipated with repairs to a main stack, remove and replace the main drain, and install proper venting for the laundry area. All stuff our inspector missed when we bought the home 6 months earlier! Thanks Jason, for the prompt response and quick service to make our guests (and our) experience so much better.

We will be calling for a quote on a new build at the same location soon!

Brian and Lonnie

Loveluxe
Loveluxe

Leaky Shower Tap & Kitchen Tap Replacement

I found this company through HomeStars and combed through the reviews until I was satisfied. Well, the high ratings for the company and rave reviews sold me enough to call and I am so glad that I did. Jason was absolutely outstanding. He communicated well, and he made the experience fun. He is trustworthy and honest and his company will be my go-to for all my plumbing needs. (I'm planning on renovating my bathroom and kitchen) This company should really be "The Best Way" plumbing. If you want the best of the best, you have it right here!

LHesch in Calgary
LHesch in Calgary

Replace water heater and repair tap

Jason recently replaced a faulty tap in a bathroom, as well as an aging water heater. He had also repaired a toilet seat for me about a year ago. Such great, speedy and respectful service. I HIGHLY recommend A Better Way Plumbing!

More about A Better Way Plumbing Ltd.

A Better Way Plumbing Ltd. is a family owned and operated company founded by Jason Tomchishin in 2005. We are dedicated to providing the best possible customer service, going above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction. We offer around the clock, 24 hour emergency plumbing services city wide, so please call us anytime.