Metropolitan Design + Build

Reviews for Metropolitan Design + Build

Cil in Etobicoke
Cil in Etobicoke

Kitchen reno

When I first met with Metropolitan Design & Build to discuss my kitchen reno I wasn't completely sure of what I wanted, but Lisa helped me work through the different options that gave me the kitchen I wanted and could afford. Lisa and Mike were great to work with. They understood my needs and addressed every concern I had. I live in an open concept condo and was just renovating the kitchen. Metropolitan Design & Build kept my house very neat, garbage was removed promptly. I would recommend them and will definitly use them again if I decide to renovate again.

John Baty in Etobicoke
John Baty in Etobicoke

Kitchen Renovation

Lisa was of great assistance in the design, selection of materials and colour coordination. She wisely and tactfully prevented me from doing some of the things I wanted to do. We collaborated on the 100's of decisions to complete a kitchen I am very happy with. I was very impressed with all the skilled trades who worked on the project, their professionalism and excellent work ethic. Mike, the construction manager, effectively coordinated the demolition and rebuild and was a pleasure to work with.

Private User reviews North Bay, ON

Kitchen / LR / Dining Room / Staircases

Professional, timely estimates, high quality workmanship with skilled and respectful trades. Well Managed trades by Lisa, Mike and their team.
One on One design (at the studio) and turn key operations.
A Boutique experience, rather than "cookie cutter" and high volume work
Highly recommended.

Stacie in Toronto
Stacie in Toronto

Dream Kitchen and Bath!

Hands down Metropolitan Kitchen and Bath are leaders in their industry! I met Mike and Lisa at a trade show in Toronto and I was blown away by their work. I had always dreamt about having a beautiful and modern kitchen and bath and Mike and Lisa were able to bring that dream to reality, and might I just add, under budget! The design project was completed within two months which was the timeline we had agreed upon. MET kept me abreast during every stage of this project from start to finish. What I respected most about Mike and Lisa was their stellar customer service, which is extremely hard to find in this industry. I trusted them immediately and knew they were the best in the business. They say people come into your life for a reason and let's just say I'm so pleased that MET came into my life. I plan on doing more renovations in the years to come and I know I can count on MET to deliver an over the top experience with outstanding results!

Larry & Betty in Mississauga
Larry & Betty in Mississauga

Bathroom and Kitchen Renovation

We first met Lisa and Mike, from Metropolitan, at the 2014 Design Show held at the Metropolitan Convention Centre in Toronto.

The week after the show ended, we spoke with Lisa to design and renovate two bathrooms in our downtown condo. We needed to update the current décor and Lisa took the time to walk us through finalizing all the requirements, including the design, choosing the finishes, colours and the fixtures we would need. Mike and his construction team were kept to a very tight schedule and both the workmanship and attention to detail were outstanding. Both bathrooms are modern, bright and they have turned out beyond our expectations!

A few months later, after the beautiful new bathrooms were completed, we again hired Mike and Lisa to totally renovate our kitchen. We wanted it to be bright, sleek looking and modern. This included new flooring from the front door all the way through the kitchen, including new counters, cupboards and built-in appliances. Once again they did a fantastic job and the kitchen is stunning!

We found both Lisa and Mike to be very accommodating and professional. During both renovations they maintained a regular dialogue with us so there were no surprises. And they started and finished both projects on time, which was very important to us.

Based on our experience we would (and have) recommended their company to people interested in working with a complete design and remodeling project team.

Larry and Betty M.

Andrea in Toronto
Andrea in Toronto

Kitchen and bath design/reno

Our experience with Mike and Lisa at Metropolitan was amazing. They have such an innovative And creative sense of style they were really able to help us transform our space to make it as spacious and functional as possible.
Lisa devoted and spent countless hours with us helping us to choose materials for our kitchen cupboards, countertops, flooring both tile and hardwood, paint colors, backsplash, it was full service design consultation with amazing results. The same for our bathroom Lisa was able to piece together the colpurs and fictures in a way that transformed our space.
All of our family and friends love our renos, such good quality work.
Thank you to Lisa and Mike for an amazing job. They are highly recommended, professional, creative and hardworking.

Geoff in Toronto
Geoff in Toronto

Renovated Kitchen, Bath, and Main Floor

Mike and Lisa were amazing! They came in a got us exactly what we wanted. We got a load bearing removed opening up the space, changed all our floors to hardwood and tiles that looked like hardwood to match, and added a bunch of new pot lights. Everything is so bright and perfect. Mike was always on time and very professional. I would highly recommend then and would use them again in the future.

Mark D in Toronto
Mark D in Toronto

Bathroom Reno (x3)

After reviewing a few design/contracting firms for our three-bathroom renovation project we decided to use Metropolitan Kitchen and Bath because of Lisa and Mike’s attention to detail during the quoting/design phase of the project that helped us gain a level of confidence and trust in their approach and quality of work. The three washrooms were starting to show their age and the main driver for the project was that we wanted to completely renovate the main bath to accommodate our three kids as they get older while offering some privacy during use. Lisa and Mike presented design options for the main bathroom that allowed us to achieve our goal of having all three use the bathroom at the same time (i.e. one in the shower/toilet and two brushing teeth) while still offering all the privacy and storage space required, not to mention a fresh modern look! Lisa’s recommendation of materials, colours, and finishes turned out to be fantastic. The pocket door installation between the shower/toilet area and common area of the washroom was brilliant and functional, we love the light through the translucent panel in the door when closed, the space still looks bright and airy regardless of whether the door is open or closed. My wife and I are jealous of the shower the kids get to use daily, truly spa quality! The project was completed on time and on budget which is what we expected from Mike and Lisa because of the significant time and effort invested in the planning phase of the project (not to mention we were never without at least one functioning toilet and shower!). Mike and his crew always left the workspace clean and did not leave any garbage, tools, nails, etc around for my kids to get into while the project was ongoing. Like all renovation projects that we have been through there are always unexpected things that come up. When they opened up the ceiling during the main bath renovation they found a small roof leak over an adjoining bedroom that was probably there for a long time. Instead of ignoring the issue, Mike was able to get a roofer to the site the same day to complete the repair at minimal cost to us. We were grateful because didn't have to go through the trouble of finding someone to get it fixed, and if Mike never pointed it out we would never have known there was a roof leak until costly major repairs would be needed at some point in the future. We are thrilled with the quality of work on all three baths, the functionality of the space in the main bath, and the overall ease with which the project was completed.

Front entrance & bathroom

I hired this company to renovate my front entrance & 2 piece bathroom. It was a devastating experience. Where to begin? Even though the floor was levelled before the installation, 5 tiles cracked with the huge crack going in a 5 foot line straight from the front door and into the kitchen. I paid $3,000.00 to frame the pocket door including the drywall and trim. $300.00 for the pocket door and doorstop. The pocket door was a monumental disaster. The finished corner of the drywall was completely crooked. The door was paneled and completely off centre, approximately 5 inches on one side and 2 inches on the other. When the door fell off it's glides (a reoccurring problem), Michael promised to come & fix it with-in two weeks!! He never came. He never answered or returned my many calls. The sconce over the sink was off centre by six inches. The plumbing under the sink was not centred so they cranked the plumbing at an angle to fit. It was a wall mounted sink with two pedestal legs on the front corners. Everytime I used the bathroom or walked in the front door, I was devastated. When they demo'd the bathroom they punched a hole through the wall into my family room. When I complained, Michael patched it up and said the room wasn't their problem. I also had wainscotting put into the bathroom, (same gentleman who installed the door). It was just as devastating, again completely off centre. It was a devastating experience, if there were any details that needed fixing they tacked on significant extra charges. In the end I was scared to complain as I was scared they wouldn't come back to complete the job. Nothing was done well, not even the light switches. This 20,000 figure includes all the tiles, bathroom fixtures, light fixture's, wallpaper and hardware that I purchased independently. My house has two other pocket door's that have never fallen off their glides as they are snug in the casings. Top dollar for a terrible job. It dragged on and on and was the crappiest workmanship I have ever seen. Spare yourself & keep looking, Michael has no integrity.

We have a long standing track record of doing great work. Read the other reviews and look at our testimonial video on the front page at metkb.com. These clients are proud to tell the world about who we are and how we work.

Sometimes though, we come across a customer who is is willing to blatantly lie to try and get things done for free. We simply cannot sit back and allow someone to outright lie about who we are and the service we provide.

Here are some facts that the reviewer conveniently left out:

This project was completed 7 years ago! It was beautiful and done right.

She claims that the project was $30,000. Not true. Our bill to her was $14,714.98 plus tax. She paid the entire bill, including the final cheque of 50% of the total which was paid well after everything was complete.

She claims that the pocket door cost $5,000. Not true at all. The entire cost of the pocket door, framing, drywall and all the trim work (wainscotting, door trim, baseboards, etc.) for inside and outside the bathroom was $3,150.

She is making claims that are simply outright lies. The tiles were installed properly and to this day, we have never received one call or email from her about any problems. The switches were installed correctly. The plumbing was done correctly. The pedestal was installed correctly. The bathroom looked beautiful.

The wall sconce was installed centre of the wall, which is where its been since the house was built. In fact, the quote was clear: it said 'install new wall fixture in existing location'. We didn't even move the location. The wainscotting was installed by a professional trim carpenter and it looked terrific.

If even one of these claims were even close to accurate, what rational person would pay the entire bill well after we were finished the project? And if the work was so 'devastating', why only bring it up now over 7 years after we finished?

Here's some insight that was left out of her review:

A year after the installation, she called about the pocket door not working. She claimed that we did not go to her house (again, this is a lie). We went to see the door. The door was physically damaged and it was torn off the rails. She told us that her son yanked it off the rails but that 'it shouldn't be able to do that'. Well, if you lift and pull the door side to side instead of simply opening and closing it, it will indeed come out of the rails, which is exactly what happened to that door. The rail was clearly damaged. The rail is designed to slide the door side to side, not to be used as a toy. We offered to install a new one it but it would be at her cost. She did not want to pay for it and demanded that we pay for it or that she would write a negative review about us. If we installed something incorrectly we would gladly remedy any issues. Its only a pocket door for goodness sake.

We won't be threatened by anyone who just wants things for free. The statements in this person's review are pure fiction.

Lori B from Toronto
Lori B from Toronto

Kitchen & bathroom renovation

If you are looking for design advice, this is the firm for you. Lisa has an amazing eye and can help solve the dilemma of matching colours and components. She will also help maximize your space - important for small kitchens especially. The construction crew are meticulous and very good about cleaning up at the end of the day.
Be sure to discuss the plan and timelines, and understand them carefully. In particular, discuss the time between demolition and installation. Cabinets are custom and not off the shelf.
Strongly recommend if you are looking for a unique look.

More about Metropolitan Design + Build

METROPOLITAN kitchen + bath is a design and renovation firm specializing in creating extraordinary interior spaces for your home. Our team of professional designers, tradespeople and project managers will work with you to create a finished product that is an expression of your lifestyle, taste and budget, blending the best ...
Looking for Kitchen Planning & Renovation pros in Etobicoke?