Home Improvement People Inc.

Basement Renovation
1120 Castlefield Avenue Toronto ON M6B 1E9
Basement Renovation
Home Improvement People Inc.

Best of 2019 winner 12 timesBest of 2019winner 12 times
Giving Back Award winner 3 timesGiving Back Awardwinner 3 times

Reviews for Home Improvement People Inc.

Rick L.
Rick L.

Renovated 2 bathrooms

Excellent support from the quote from Dan to the designer Charlotte to the installer Jerry. Highly recommend this company to take away your renovation concerns and get it done in a timely manner with very little mess or fuss. Charlotte helped us through the design process, selecting vanities, faucets etc as well as mirrors and colours. Jerry was so professional and friendly - he did it all including demolition, plumbing, electrical, installation of tub, faucets, toilets etc as well as tiling. The $11,000 cost was labour only and excluded purchasing of tiles, vanities, faucets, tubs, toilets etc

Thank you Rick. Jerry and Charlotte take great pride in producing happy clients.
All the best,

Joy in Toronto
Joy in Toronto

Kitchen & Basement Bathroom Renovation

We contracted HIP to help us with a full kitchen renovation, including removing a wall, new floors, new counters, custom cabinets etc. Overall, we were very happy with the end result and quality of work.

Daniel (our PM), was responsive, knowledgeable and very easy going, which made a generally stressful process easier to live through. The project did go 3 weeks over the top-end of the schedule, partly due to some unplanned asbestos remediation, but there were a few long stretches of no work being done which comes par for the course when dealing with a bigger company running many concurrent sites. Don't let that deter you, just anticipate it will take longer than you think or they tell you.

Pros:
- Quality of finished product: crafted with care and attention
- Responsive PM: though I'd suggest phone not email
- Supplier discounts

Cons:
- Expensive: out of 5 estimates, HIP was the highest, but the most thorough and professional
- Delays: were delayed by approx 3 weeks from the estimate

In addition, we had an unexpected issue in our basement requiring us to completely gut and replace our washroom. Daniel was very quick to respond, diagnose and get the project started. We were very happy with the end result, albiet also running a few weeks late.

In the end, both projects were done with care, attenion and a high degree of craftsmenship. Just be prepared to pay a premium for the work and a longer schedule than estimated.

Thank you Joy!

James from Toronto
James from Toronto

Bathtub replacement and shower upgrade

Had HIP replace an old tub, shower tiles, and hardware. They prepared a design for me and coordinated supply and delivery of all materials; I just needed to coordinate with them for when they could come to do their demolition and installation work. They were very easy to work with and did a great job. The shower looks great!

Thank you James!
Gerhard and the gang are truly remarkable!
We are so happy you love it.

Marko in Mississauga
Marko in Mississauga

Total condo reno

My wife and I decided to totally renovate our new condo and we only had five weeks to do it as we had a baby on the way. My approach was to target several contractors with outstanding ratings. Daniel from HIP conducted a site visit in the short window of time we had (have not taken possession at the time), and from the start he left by far the best impression. He was professional, extremely knowledgeable and easy to work with. Ultimately, we decided to proceed with HIP as our general contractor and Daniel was our project manager. Daniel assigned to us Junior as the lead contractor and the project began. Since we lived in the same condo, it was easy for us almost daily to stop by and check in on the guys – it became a ritual of sorts to see progress. Junior is hard working and super skilled as he handles just about everything: plumbing, hardwood, tiling etc. (does impeccable tiling work). This was our first time doing a renovation let alone the one of this scope and complexity. On balance, we have learned a lot and although every project has its ups and downs in the end we are very pleased with the result. What we particularly liked about HIP is access to great trade discounts, dedicated PM to handle the project, additional resources to pitch in and help when required (and it was required since the project was delayed), friendly approach and professional attitude. Daniel was not difficult to get a hold off to address issues as they arose and he has an uncanny ability to explain concepts in straightforward ways. HIP folks try really, really hard to do and make things right. Although we still have a few minor adjustments that are required to address deficiencies (paining being one, for example) I trust and have no doubts that Daniel, as promised, will have this done for us. Based on our experience, we would make a few tweaks to our future project of this kind but would not hesitate to work with HIP again. They understand great businesses are built, or destroyed, one customer relationship at the time – reputation is paramount – and they do their best to uphold it.

Thank you Marko for this very detailed review.
We look forward to working with you again!

Natalia M. in Mississauga
Natalia M. in Mississauga

Powder room renovation

Powder room renovation was done in my house by HIP in February 2019. I am extremely pleased with the job they have done! Room looks fantastic, Jerry has done an absolutely amazing job ( and I am very picky customer in terms of quality)! Job was done on time, with minimum interruptions. Job site was clean during reno and after work has been done. Definitely would recommend them and will use in my future projects.

Thank you Natalia! Jerry always work hard and takes care of our clients. We will make sure he sees your complimentary review. Thank you!

J from Oakville
J from Oakville

Great bathroom reno and amazing service years after

The home improvement people completely renovated my master bathroom, and they made the process stress-free and easy. We had a flood which required us to renovate, during a time when i had a new baby at home. Charlotte was my assigned interior designer to assist and she was very professional and a pleasure to deal with. Based on my interests she sent me photos of samples she thought I would like, and hit the mark on her selections. Gerhard's crew is very professional and works cleanly and on-time. Three years later I had a small leak from the bathtub drain. They called me back within 2 hours and were at my house the next day to fix it. THAT is what I call amazing service. I would highly recommend them and will use their services again.

Thank you! Once you are our client - we will always always take care of you and your home. Thank you so much for posting this review!

Dan in Pickering
Dan in Pickering
2 reviews Ajax, ON

Dream Ensuite Bathroom Renovation

You have heard of many nightmare renovations, well ours was a dream renovation thanks to Dima and Vlad of HIP. From day one covering all of the bedroom furniture with plastic to 10 days later cleaning out our garage spotlessly of all the debris and garbage and every point in between. PROFESSIONAL!!!....detailed, highly skilled at everything they did.. electrical, tile work, painting, baseboards etc. They worked in -30 degree Jan. weather cutting tile and quartz outside without a complaint and their productivity each day astounded me. They gave advice and asked our input and decisions on many aspects of the reno. We worked as a team and made sure they had all of the materials they needed when they were ready for them to install which resulted in an impressive 2 week completion date!! (still waiting on custom shower glass LED and back-lit oval vanity mirror) My wife and I are extremely happy with the end result and quality of work and after getting 4 other quotes and doing a lot of research, are so happy we chose the HIP and got Dima and Vlad assigned to our job. Thanks so much!
Dan/Sue

Thank you Dan!

Dima & Vlad thank you as well for taking the time to post this sensational review. Enjoy the newly renovated bathroom!

Melanie from Toronto
Melanie from Toronto

Kitchen Renovation

I wanted to create an open concept space featuring a brand new kitchen. A wall had to be taken down and I had concerns about the structure.

I started with a very patient creative kitchen designer who listened and created a superb drawing complete with a rendering of the finished kitchen would look like. I am amazed how much the finished product looks like that drawing. It really helps with planning.

It did take a while for construction to begin but when it did, it proceeded without a hitch. Even the discovery, testing and elimination of a small piece of asbestos didn't slow us down. All credit for this goes to Project Manager Larry who manages his crews the way an air traffic controller might manage planes in the air. Larry is on it! He usually knows and if something goes wrong, he will tell the contractors about it.

Everyone who came into my home was a nice person. All introduced themselves and answered my sometimes many questions. I always knew who was in my home. Larry has worked with these people for 18 years and it shows. They love working with him and the quality of the work is OUTSTANDING.

I will say that that I paid a bit more than I wanted to for this project but I feel given the quality and the smooth progress, it was worth it. There was no doubt and very little frustration given that your safe place--your home--is under construction.

If you have a job that requires multiple trades and might be a bit complex, you can count on these folks to manage it right. You can also count on top notch design services. Thanks all, you are most welcome at my enormous kitchen island.

Thank you Melanie!
We will be sure to share this with Larry, Charlotte and the team!

KenTO
KenTO

Basement Renovation and Exterior Painting

I had major water damage in my basement, with the carpet needing to come out and drywall needing to be repaired. I also needed the outside of my house painted. Dealing with Elia and Danny and his crew was a real pleasure. I was late getting the basement getting cleaned out and delays were my fault, but Danny was very accommodating with his schedule. They did a great job and finished quickly, putting in new laminate flooring and repairing the walls and painting. I have a large basement so the flooring was a lot of work, but they finished quickly and efficiently. I'm really loving my "man-cave." I really recommend these guys and will definitely use them for future jobs.

Thank you so much Ken! We are happy we were able to help!

All the best,

Ben & Adam

Hallsport
Hallsport

Basement and Front Entrance Renovation, Flood Repair

Following extensive online research and several contractor interviews, my husband and I settled on the Home Improvement People. Elia provided an estimate to renovate two large rooms in the basement as well as the front entrance. He answered all our questions and gave us confidence that HIP was the right choice. That was in the summer of 2017.
After a false start with a team that wasn’t the right fit for us, Chris came on board to head a team that did a masterful job of completely gutting our partially renovated basement and finishing it. Among other things, this included asbestos floor removal, floor levelling to ready for tile, and electrical for pot lights. Along the way, several changes were made to the initial scope of the project. We asked that a number of doors upstairs be replaced. Elia accommodated these requests and Haydee in the office tracked them carefully. We were delighted with the finished basement, front entrance, and doors.
In the summer of 2018, heavy rainfall flooded several houses in our neighbourhood, including our basement. We called Elia again. A flood event is distressing; he understood and put our minds at rest. We asked if Chris was available to make the repairs. There wasn’t sufficient work for an entire team, but Chris came every day for several weeks to complete the job himself. What an efficient and skilled worker. The site was tidied each evening. The basement looks fabulous again!
We are grateful for contractors like the HIP who are reliable, do excellent work, and are pleasant. Once the budget is set, there are no hidden extras. Thank you, HIP! Your crew members are tops!

Oh my! What a review! We will pass on the compliments to Chris, Elia and the rest of the crew.
Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your experience with us.

Ben & Dan

More about Home Improvement People Inc.

The Home Improvement People have completed literally thousands of renovations since our inception. We are a unique award winning contracting company, consulted by various media as industry experts.
Please view our website at homeimprovementpeople.com to view images of some of our projects.
For our clients' convenience, we've implemented progress billing as well as financing.
Regardless of scope, we approach every single home renovation with a foundation of strong design aesthetics, comprehensive product options, sound project management, and a commitment to craftsmanship.

Our projects range from remodelled bathrooms and kitchens, to rear additions, hardwood flooring, basements, second story additions and other extensive renovations. We undertake work in all budget ranges.

Choosing a reputable contractor is the most important decision you will make regarding your renovation. From plans and permits, to last little finishing details, The Home Improvement People is committed to completing your renovations and home improvements in a professional manner and to your complete satisfaction.
We take pride in our personalized service and our high quality workmanship.
Call us for quality, insured work - completed on time, and on budget.
905-760-7607.