Urban Barn

Best of 2013 winner 2 timesBest of 2013winner 2 times

Reviews for Urban Barn

Private User reviews Grand Forks, BC

Horrible customer service

Urban Barn is the worst company that I have made a purchase from.
In a highly competitive industry, customers' service should be the company’s core value.
Here is some advice:
1. To train sales rep properly. When a customer purchases furniture from the store, let the customer knows that company’s policy with birthday month coupon actually is a big joke. Because the coupon is based on the date that the customer has been set up in Urban Barn’s newsletter system, not the date that the customer purchases the goods. In the situation the customers purchase the goods in the same month of their birthday month there is no guarantee the customers will receive the coupons because the purchase date does not count.
2. Increase sales with cutting off birthday month coupon is a not a good strategy. With intention to delay input customers' info into the system will save Urban Barn 15% of birthday coupon that would save Urban Barn some money but also will cause Urban Barn the loss of repetitive customers. Customers can be fooled once but not twice.
3. To train customer center and the sales rep tell the truth.
For the birthday coupon, there are a few versions
a. Customer center: the sales rep should set up the customer file with correct birthday month. If so, the customers should receive the coupon.
b. Customer center: Marketing department set up the rules. That is Marketing department’s decision.
c. Sales rep: Newsletter only send out the first day of each month, if the customer is not set up prior birthday month there is no birthday month coupon. For example, the newsletter sends out on May 1, the customer’s birthday is May 2, and the purchase happened in May 2, too bad, the customer missed the coupon because the newsletter sends out on May 1.
d. Sales rep: customer can receive birthday month coupon next year (should the customer be silly enough to go back to buy other goods).
4. To have the marketing department and customer service coordinate with each other.
a. Marketing department and customers service department telling different rules.
b. The policy should be top down not different saying from different department.
c. Should a company be coordinated, not acting like each department is a completely different company?
I did not receive my birthday coupon after I have called customer center twice, plus calling the store twice. The final result is the birthday month coupon cannot be received because I was set in the system late. Purchase date means nothing. I returned part of my purchase, but the love seat is considered a customized item that cannot be returned. Fine, I spent a fortune to buy a lesson from Urban Barn. Keep the 15% of coupon Urban Barn. I will let all my friends, my coworkers, and my society know what kind of company that Urban Barn is. This is my first time also my last time to purchase in Urban Barn.

never again in Vancouver
never again in Vancouver
1 review Vancouver, BC

purchase problems!!

Shockingly terrible service and support! Urban Barn confirmed a delivery date for before x-mas on a couch I bought with "custom" loveseat and chair to follow in six to eight weeks. Not only could I not reach Urban Barn for three days after delivery date passed, but each person I have dealt with either by phone or in-store has been very unhelpful. And lengthy wait times if you can ever get through at all. Ive purchased a complete house of furniture recently and have not had one problem with anything until urban barn. Refusing to cancel my order based on what they call "custom" pieces, I said no problem and patiently waited for delivery with intention of selling this furniture privately. So, it was delivered finally and the loveseat and chair dont match!!! hard to sell that way! Ive reached a manager at customer care who was equally unhelpful and am now on day three waiting for her to call me to let me know what we can do.(she said she would call me the following morning)In the mean time my mismatched furniture sits in my unfinished garage that is supposed to be empty for finishers to start next week! HELP!! Ive begged for them to take this furniture back as i can't sell them mismatched and since its urban barns screw up that leaves me in a pinch I figured it would be the only resolution. Nope, the customer care manager said they will get me matching furniture and asked if i would like to pick up at warehouse or store!? Um, what? Or i could pay for it to be shipped back to them and pay a 30%re-stocking fee that would be given to me by way of store credit. DO NOT BUY FROM URBAN BARN! there are too many beautiful furniture stores with great customer service and product.

Private User reviews Vancouver, BC

Vase

Vase wasn't labeled & sweated onto brand new table leaving watermark Urban barn wouldn't take responsibility for damage but instead gave advise on how to fix damage, made it worse then wouldn't take responsibility for bad advice from unqualified staff. Buyer be aware, read everything!

product

Charged for product - Amelia Chairs then told not available. Told warehouse error. No integrity at each touch point. Went to Mississauga warehouse. The told me I had two chairs only, charged for 6. They took chairs being Del. wknd Dec. 3 to me. So they lose two customers now instead of one. FM

Fitch
Fitch
1 review Mount Royal, QC

Great waranty

I bought the Manhattan Chaise/Loveseat and ordered it with medium density foam. After five years the seat cushions were sagging. I phoned their customer care line in Vancouver and complained. They had a tech (contractor) visit my home to verify that it was sagging and then shipped new firm density foam to the store where the contractor picked it up and replaced it in the existing cushion fabric at my home. This whole process took several months but I am very happy that they replaced it all without charge.

Laurel in Waterdown
Laurel in Waterdown
3 reviews Vancouver, BC

Manhattan sofa and love seat

After waiting 10 weeks, they arrived and cushions are lumpy around seams and cushions wrinkle after sitting on them - not a nice look. Also the bottom cushions slide forward after each sitting and constantly need to be pushed back! Customer service is a joke!

Private User reviews Vancouver, BC

Beautiful furniture, informed stylists.

1) Ask about their warranties for the sofas; cant beat it- i've tried.

2) Trained and professional stylists/design students etc, its a great way to get help with your inspiration, without *interior designers paychecks*

3) I was waiting to see if a certain fabric was in stock, after hearing how rude customers are to the staff I was shocked, I'm sure most people who complain about the service have gone in with *guns a blazin* I have always engaged with any staff member at any store and usually if you are sincere and give off that energy, thats the energy you are given back.

To conclude: I love the store, its clean and I have never had a problem within the 8 years of visiting the store. I love seeing the new items every season, its like christmas 4 times a year.

They could have a better ringing in system and need to consider that people are not wanting to give out their email or phone number.

Monica in Toronto
Monica in Toronto
2 reviews Burlington, ON

Extremely Poor Product Quality and Customer Service

When you pay $1200 for a bed, you expect a certain level of quality. Not the case with the Filmore Queen bed. The frame literally snapped in 2 after about 13 months of use by one 130 lb person. Opened up the material covering the box frame to find the thinnest piece of "wood" imaginable (more like paper). Of course I had to dissemble the whole frame to prevent the split wood from coming through the leather.
Sure enough, after searching the internet for a phone number, I spoke to customer service, who noted the date of purchase, and then asked me to send in pictures of the damage. So I provided pics as requested with a description of the issue, only to be told (after at least follow up email for a response) that the bed was out of warranty...sorry! better luck next time!
Well, #1 - why would they ask me to take pics and email them in, if they already knew the purchase date of Oct 2015 (incidentally, I picked it up in November and didn't actually start using it until January 2016, so it was actually only in use 1 year)??
#2 - what kind of quality are these products that literally fall to pieces after a year of use?? At $1200, is this considered a disposable product that needs to be replaced every year? I could have gone to a cheap furniture store if I had known that behind the name Urban Barn, the quality was more like Dollar Store, at least then I would not have been surprised by how low-quality the bed actually was.

Will not shop at Urban Barn again, as the price clearly does not match the quality.

Janice in Toronto
Janice in Toronto
1 review London, ON

Chest of Drawes

I purchased a chest of drawers as well as a matching night table from Urban Barn in june 2015. A few days ago one of the fronts of a drawer fell right off. It cannot be repaired or hammered back together because it is a mirrored frontl. I contacted urban barn who will NOT stand behind their product. They claim it has been discontinued and it outside of their 1 year warranty. Who the hell expects to replace a bedroom set in a year and a half? Dont shop there....grossly overpriced for poor quality.

Private User reviews Calgary, AB

Sofa

Would not recommend urban barn for furniture. Maybe for decor. Many other furniture stores with better quality furniture and better prices. Smaller companies will take better care of you and give you better pricing.

More about Urban Barn

At Urban Barn, design and comfort live in perfect harmony. We have furniture and accents to bring sophistication and comfort to every room of your home. Our knowledgeable staff provide pressure-free, approachable service. If you love your home, you'll love our modern furniture store. . . it's a given.
Looking for Interior Design pros in Vancouver?