HomeStars  >  Home Additions in North York  >  Quality Restorations Co

Reviews for Quality Restorations Co

Aravind in Danforth / East York
Aravind in Danforth / East York

Bathroom Reno

Quality restorations Co team (Brad, Dale and Doug) did a fantastic job in my bathroom reno. The work included removing existing floor, subfloor, tub and shower surround and putting in new subfloor, tile and tub.

The new bathroom looks great. The work was done on a timely manner and within our planned budget. We always got an update every day on the progress. Communicating with Doug was also very convenient through email.

We are looking forward to engage Quality Restorations Co in our next project as well. Overall it was fantastic work and we are very satisfied with the outcome.

Thanks very much Aravind - we certainly look forward to working with you again in the near future.

Basement reno/restore

Absolute professionals that put their customers first. In this line of work there can be a disconnect between what customers want and what the contractor can deliver. Quality restorations understand this. They listen and communicate with you to ensure you get a result you will be happy with!

Thanks so much - it was great working with you and we hope that we can work with you again in the future

Jim in North Toronto
Jim in North Toronto

Major Home Renovation

Quality Restorations carried out a major renovation of our North Toronto home. The job included: removal of two first-floor walls and relocation of one upstairs wall; renovation of kitchen and upstairs bath; elimination of all knob-and-tube and rewiring of house; complete re-insulation of house; updating of basement; removal of all old plaster and installation of new drywall; addition of all-new hardwood floors; installation of two skylights; and much, much more. This was a huge job and my family had to move out during the work. But Doug and his crews got everything done on time (even putting in extra time towards the end to make sure we got moved in on schedule) and did superb work. There were a few hiccups along the way, as might be expected in a job of this size, but they always made everything right and got us in within our budget. Everybody was friendly and a pleasure to deal with. And Anthony deserves special credit for making five or six trips back to the house after the job to take care of various odds and ends and help us get back into the place. We would definitely recommend Quality Restorations to anyone considering a similar home renovation.

Thanks so much Jim - I will surely pass this along to Anthony. I do look forward to working again with you this year on other projects.

Angry in Toronto
Angry in Toronto

Front porch carpentry

I expected skillful carpentry as per Homestars reviews. Instead I got a bunch of hacks doing the basic work that involved no skill and no pride. I had a railing done on one side of the stairs to match what was there. Instead I go a botch job where the balusters were to match the original ones. Not fancy. Not difficult. The spacing was so off it hurt my eyes and they were not even plumb. How could a carpenter possibly walk away from that without his eyeballs hurting. And the post the attached was wobbly and I got told that they could not attach it properly. They came back, fixed that, and when they left I realized that the spacing was still off, 2" instead of 1 1/2". There were numerous other things done incorrectly, but the painters were coming and I could not actually bear to see these guys again. All old trim wood was supposed to be replaced according to my contract, and that was not done until I pointed it out in the fall. I got a piece but on with a screw, not countersunk, as any decent carpenter would do, and not filled with wood filler. And the price of my work went up by $200 when I verified the items that I had sent in a letter, that apparently, was not read properly.
I get angry every time I look at the shabby work that was done, but it is now something I have to live with.
Update: after being contacted by the owner, I realized that a Zero satisfaction was harsh. I have upped it to a 2, and perhaps it should be a 3. I am not sure. The work is the same and I will never be able to change that as it is now in the past. I will never recommend them to anyone, however. There are people out there that have the carpentry skills to do a terrific job and who take pride in their work. The problem is to be able to find them.
Jan. 24...Oh dear. One more update. the owner tried to tell me that the spacing on the handrail pickets was not supposed to match the existing porch picket spacing, but rather the spacing that was on the exisiting handrail and pickets. The only problem is, that there were NO pickets. This company installed a new handrail on one side, and new pickets on both. I had to send him a picture to prove it. If they were to come back to "fix" (?) anything, they would have to do a lot of ripping out, and since I had painters coming right after, the work had to stay what it was, unless I wanted to damage all the painters" work. Anyway...this is my final edit to this. Just don't want to engage with this any longer.

Review has 1 previous version

Why did you not contact me directly back in June after we completed the work and we could have addressed any perceived problems??

When we completed the job back at the beginning of June the following is your email from Thursday June 8th, 2017;

"Hi Doug…Sorry I did not get to you sooner. I had been crazy busy for the rest of the day, along with building headache. I wanted to let you know that the work looked very good and was properly spaced and put together. I will actually send you a pic so you can compare. It turned out to be a good job after all, and everyone was very polite and understanding. Satisfaction.”

You were very happy with the work in June – then on New Years Day you have posted this - are you having a bad day?

In the same email from June you even discussed having us do more work:

“I am going to have to get a permit for the deck, as my neighbours on one side are bound to report me. The wife got angry about something and is on a vendetta, so I need to have my ducks in a row. I will get back to you when I have decided what to do. I am sure that the permit drawings will change the job somewhat, as I did get told that there is not adequate footing load now according to the new building guidelines.We'll talk later on… “

Later in October when squirrels chewed through some of your trim, we came back within a few weeks and replaced the trim at no extra charge out of courtesy.

That is the photo that you have attached – the new trim for which you paid nothing!

I do not understand your sudden change of attitude now 6 months later with no further communication to us or opportunity to rectify any problems.

This review is not a reflection of the workmanship carried out at your house or care to detail that we normally give to our clients.

Stephanie
Stephanie

Multiple Projects

I am so thrilled to have found Doug and his team at Quality Restorations. From big to small, all projects are treated quickly and professionally. Pricing is reasonable and the job gets done well every time. Doug has helped us many times over the past year, with water damage repairs, chimney repointing, replacing a roof, caulking tub and shower surround, the list goes on! He works well with our tenants, and is flexible to get the work done in a timeline that works for everyone!

Thanks so much Stephanie - we will get this old house in tip top shape before you know it !

Three Projects

During the past 15 years Quality Restorations have completed three very finely executed improvements to my circa 1938 home – rebuilding and improving the upper portion of my brick chimney, removing my broken concrete back porch and stairs and replacing it with a perfect one that now has a far superior ‘senior friendly’ staircase, and more recently a new window well to replace the original large one that was starting to fall apart. In each case the design, timely execution of the job and workmanship were excellent. I would gladly retain them again.
Charlie in Lytton Park.

Thanks a lot Charlie - always a pleasure to work for you

Tom in Etobicoke in Toronto
Tom in Etobicoke in Toronto

Stone face on attached garage and renew roof.

We added Grey Country Stone to the sides of the garage door.
This gave the house real lift. We also added a roof resurface.
This work brought the house into the twenty first century.
Now we are set for another thirty plus years.
Thanks to Quality Restoration.

Tom in Etobicoke

Thanks so much Tom - this really was an excellent choice of stone

ColourWorks Painting Design
ColourWorks Painting Design

Exterior Home Remodel

We've just had Doug and his teams of specialists, remodel the front of our house, and we couldn't be happier! Doug is so well educated on all aspects of the trades from foundation to roof, and offered the perfect solutions to every issue we were addressing, and kept it within our budget, too! We needed a complete new custom porch, steps, stone walkway, trim carpentry, eaves troughs, and roofing. Every one of his trades people were not only highly skilled and knowledgeable, they were passionate about their work, and truly took pride in every detail as if it were their own home. I have recommended Quality Restorations to many of my friends, neighbors and acquaintances, and will continue to do so at every opportunity. You simply can't go wrong!

Thanks so much - I will pass this along to the men - they really are the stars of the show

Allison in Toronto
Allison in Toronto
1 review , ON

Exterior cleaning and painting

We had just moved into a "new" old house that was in great shape but needed a little TLC on the exterior. We had the bricks clean, cedar shakes stained, and deck/front porch painted. The house looks so much brighter! I couldn't get over the difference the brick cleaning made! 100 years of dirt and grime had taken its toll and now the bricks are red and bright and colourful! I would definitely recommend Doug and his team!

It really is a beautiful brick - like they were straight out of the Don Valley - they don't make brick like that anymore

Ana in Toronto
Ana in Toronto

Front porch teardown and rebuild

We worked with Doug and the team at Quality this summer to rebuild an existing porch on a 100+ year old house that was literally falling apart due to rot and lack of support.
Great experience. Everyone - from Doug to Mike, Jerry, Dee and Cameron - were professional, friendly and very helpful.
Jerry was the carpenter on the porch. He was constantly looking for input and feedback, making samples for us to decide how to proceed. He really made us feel we were part of the process and that we ended up with a unique product.
Likewise, Cameron our painter, was very easy to work with. When I realized I'd made the wrong stain choice, he quickly went out to purchase the new stain. I believe he agreed with me that the new colour choice was the right move to make.
All of them left the porch and surrounding property in a better state then when they arrived.
Hope to work with Quality again on future projects.

Thanks Ana - we look forward to helping you with projects next spring

More about Quality Restorations Co

Quality Restorations Co. was founded in 1974 to meet the renovation and restoration needs of its Toronto customers. As an award winning company we can provide you with the following services:

Chimney Rebuilds and Repairs, Tuckpointing and Brick Replacement,
Basement Waterproofing / Basement Underpinning
Complete Interior Renovations
Eavestroughs and Siding
Flat and Shingle Roofing

Some of our clients have been coming back to us for 20 TO 30 YEARS , A CLAIM THAT FEW CONTRACTORS ON HOMESTARS CAN MAKE . If you are judging a company by number of reviews only, we have thousands of satisfied customers for whom we have completed projects.

Contact us at qualityrestorations1@gmail.com and we can email you a list of home owner names and addresses and the types of jobs that we have done in your neighbourhood.