AMJ Campbell

Darrell in Kanata
Darrell in Kanata
1 review Ottawa, ON

Deceived and lost money

I moved in 2017 and chose AMJ Campbell after getting estimates from several other moving companies. I prepared a very detailed list of items I had to move. I packed myself and gave them the number of boxes. I went into every room in my house and itemized everything. The estimate they gave me was $1860. In an email to the company I stressed how my budget was tight and I could not afford more than this. I asked how accurate the estimate vs the actual cost would be. I got a call and I was assured verbally that they are always good at estimates vs the actual charge and I would not have any worries. It was followed up by an email stating how they are not a company that would levy big charges that didn’t match the estimate. However my final bill came to $2518. A 40% INCREASE. I could not believe this. I had to borrow money from my line of credit to pay this bill and I’m still trying to pay it off on a single income. It took them 3.5 hours to unload my old house. Loading my new house took 6 hours. They poked as much as possible loading my belongings into the new house. Meanwhile I’m paying by the hour. Instead of 4 guys they promised to send, they sent only 3 guys which made it worse. I asked the head mover where the 4th guy was and he told me after surveying my house he decided it would move fast due to what I had and they wouldn’t need a 4th guy. It was a bait and switch arrangement where I was told one thing but then presented with something entirely different afterwards. I started collecting documents and emails to take this to small claims court. With the unpacking and work to be done getting settled I just didn’t have the time. I’ll probably regret that forever. At least I can write some reviews to let others know what I went through. I found AMJ Campbell to be completely dishonest. Beware of this company.

Pissedoff in Mississauga
Pissedoff in Mississauga

Just trying to get my damn chair

The customer service was horrible. I ordered a chair from Article (no issue with them, responsive) and it arrived broken. Don’t know whose fault if was, just wanted it fixed. Article was quick to respond however dreaded having to deliver again. The first time was days of phone tag. So phone tag started again, I finally said, listen, I’m available Friday afternoon, if that works just leave me a voicemail and book it, if not we keep trying. Keep getting calls no voicemails. I call back (every time call about 6 yikes trying to get a real damn person) and day again, I left a vm, can do it this time, yes or no, please call back and acknowledge you have listened to the message. Nope!!! Get an anonymous call with an automated vm saying they are coming 8-11 in the morning, doesn’t work. I call back say as such. Get a text asking to confirm the morning delivery (at 4:50, they close at 5), this is for the next day. Of course phone and phone nobody there, ask how they can do this with me never confirming and explicitly beg for them to contact me. Just in case I leave my ringer on, 7:30 am next day I get a call from delivery guys telling me they are arriving, seriously, I tell them what’s up, they more or less say now or you go through this again, I get up say screw it, sit in the lobby explain the ordeal to security (who I never got to arrange this delivery with) and they don’t show. I call and they say, oh we thought we would let you sleep so went somewhere else. Seriously??! You think you could have told me as I sit for 30 min in my pjs in the lobby. Awful awful organization. Guys were nice enough, actually unpacked to ensure everything was fine, but c’mon.

Marc in Mount Brydges
Marc in Mount Brydges
1 review Mount Brydges, ON

Horrible Experience with Office, no issue with the actual guys doing the move

Avoid AMJ Campbell at all costs. We had 3 companies quote our move and at first AMJ seemed to address our move in the most time efficient manner. AMJ quoted 6 movers so we could have an inside and outside crew to protect our newly renovated flooring and complete the move in 1 day. On the day of the move only 5 movers showed up, no phone call from the sales person or operations manager to let me know. Loading the old house took as long as what the sales person had quoted for the whole job. Upon arrival on the new place, the driver advised he wouldn't be able to back the truck up to our house and they needed to order a shuttle. Shuttle showed up 2 hours later (9 pm) now and they spent 2 hours unloading the truck and called it a night at 11pm. They then returned in the morning with a crew of 3, not the 6 again that I was promised. it took them another 7.5 hours plus they didn't have enough people for an inside and outside crew, thus our brand new flooring ended up with a couple large scratches and dirty brand new carpet. We had to leave to the lawyers and the movers weren't finished and when we came back stuff was left anywhere and everywhere. The move happened 3 weeks ago and we are still looking for stuff as they didn't pay any attention to how the boxes were labeled. I have followed up with the sales person and management with no response. They think they've done me a favour by not charging for the shuttle and removing some surcharges. They were a let down from the second they showed up and continue to be a let down with their follow up and ownership over a poorly executed move. @amjwestontario

M Eftekhari in Montreal
M Eftekhari in Montreal
1 review , QC

One of the worst

This company is an absolute mess. I am having my stuff shipped from the UK to Montreal. All was OK on the UK side (managed by a different company who then passed it on to AMJ Campbell unfortunately), it has now been 5 weeks since it arrived in Toronto and it is still stuck in their warehouse. Very poor communication, customer service nonexistent. If I wasn't calling them every few days for an update (which is always the same, it still here, we ll let you know when it leaves), they would never be in touch with me. No delivery in sight. Terrible company. Please avoid as plague.

1 review Whistler, BC

Avoid this company at all costs!

Painful experience. Moved cross country last April and it was a mess from the start. The estimator was a total disaster. She had to provide four quotes until she got it right. The cost steadily rose each quote. The mover never followed up after the move. Boxes crushed, no major damage but a lot of repacking on my part. The driver was nice and tried to fix things but the head office was the real disappointment, both the incompetent appraiser and the manager who tried to help. The worst part was on the front end and I was so frustrated but in too deep to switch. I would never recommend them and have gone out of my way to tell the story and steer at least three friends away from AMJ!

Love2Go in Victoria
Love2Go in Victoria
1 review Victoria, BC

Deciding Where You Can Put Your Belongings

Customer ordered AMJ to deliver furniture to new condo pre-Occupancy Permit. AMJ decided that it was unsafe to off load on a quiet side street to prearranged certified WCB insured teleporter crew telling senior client they had to pay for a month's storage - when AMJ had agreed to it earlier in the week. When did the moving company get to decide on behalf of their customers?

Suzanne in Vancouver
Suzanne in Vancouver
1 review Vancouver, BC

Moved across country - great success!

We moved across Canada using them and they did a wonderful job of getting all our stuff packed away and safely arriving on the other side. Arrived on time, friendly, and the cost was very reasonable. I used them because my parents had used them many times successfully, and I also recommended them to a friend and her move went great as well. I really wouldn't use anybody else, knowing how many problems can arise with different companies.

Sharon M.    Toronto in Mississauga
Sharon M. Toronto in Mississauga

HORROR STORY - Movers Broke +Ruined+ Robbed me blind!

AMJ Campbell movers gave me a ridiculous estimate to move my house and store for a while - ended up charging me 5x as much. $12,000! I sent the most expensive furniture into their storage for safekeeping until my house would be ready a couple of months later. My stuff returned filthy, scratched, broken, and torn! I was livid. And so many of my things were missing. Right away I noticed a very expensive oil Renaissance painting was not there. I was missing about 5 wardrobe boxes filled with linen and table cloths.
About another 5 boxes with my crystal wine glasses and one half of an antique lamp was missing, and the list was several pages long. I called the claim department she told me not to worry. Told me to write it all down and she would send someone out to repair the antiques and clean the sofas and carpets.
I learned from the carpenter that the claims adjuster had told him "She's not getting one cent!"
I was stupid - I should've contacted the police right away... She told me it wasn't necessary. Before I learned she didn't intend on honoring the insured claim. Then I got very I'll and was in hospital for about a year and had 4 serious surgeries. The claims adjuster said don't worry about this just take care of yourself. I should have handed the whole thing to my lawyer. Stupid #2. By the time I recuperated 2 years had gone by and so did the statute governing anything I could do about it.
This was a horror story... I lost soooo much and paid a small fortune to get robbed!
No, I would not recommend this company and its 'take your money and goodbye Charlie' attitude.

Sharon M. Toronto, ON

Charles Cyna from Vaughan
Charles Cyna from Vaughan
3 reviews West Vancouver, BC

Large cross country move failed in after sales service

Moved from Toronto to Vancouver. Staff were very friendly in Toronto and Vancouver but the folks who packed our stuff did not provide any instructions for putting things together and rather than keeping all screws separate by furniture item they just threw them all together. At the other end they were not able to assemble our king bed frame, failed to properly assemble two other beds, broke a sofa and could not fix shelves due to missing parts. They sent someone to fix items but when they could not fix the shelves or master bed they sent us a cheque for $200. The rely on the fact that the average person can't be bothered with a protracted fight over a few hundred dollars. We believe we paid top dollar for a brand name company and they completely let us down with an incredibly frustrating experience.

Hi Charles,

We must sincerely apologize for the level of service you received from our team. Comments such as yours are rare but we do treat each one with special attention to avoid this from repeating. If you would like to discuss your experience further, feel free to connect with us via the following contact information: Krystal Duz, [email protected], 905-670-7111 ext. 3488.

Thank you for writing us, this truly helps us improve!

Mike in Mississauga
Mike in Mississauga

Heartbroken

They packed things indiscriminately so a lot of easily identifiable delicate items (china, glass) were crushed. Furniture was scraped or handles ripped off. Lack of support from their administration meant I was out of pocket for over a thousand dollars. Do not use this company if you value your possessions.

More about AMJ Campbell

AMJ Campbell is not about simply moving belongings, we take pride in relocating families and their p