Urban Studio

Reviews for Urban Studio

HomeStars in Toronto
HomeStars in Toronto

Home renovation

Upon purchasing a hundred-year old house in Leslieville, it was clear a solid renovator was needed to help give the house some TLC. Only one bathroom in a three-bedroom house, a small and dated kitchen, an unfinished basement – were just a few of the issues that simply made the house difficult to live in.
After doing some research, we met with the Executive Project Manager (Joseph) for Urban Studio. Their ratings on all relevant platforms were second to none. There were limited opportunities to bring contractors to the house before closing but after meeting with Joseph it was clear that there would be no shopping around necessary. Very quickly Joseph started earning our trust and confidence. On his first visit to the house, he recognized that there was moisture in the basement (something I was unaware of on purchase). As well, he spoke about the importance of permits as opposed to some contractors that may advise that permits are unnecessary. Moreover, his advice was that any of his competitors that advised against permits should not be hired as it was both advisable and necessary to have permits in place for the work being done. In addition to these things that were raised before signing for Urban Studio to complete the work, Joseph has an excellent sense of humour and demeanor which were both important to me. While the project cost and scope were quite large, without shopping the job around, sourcing quotes and information, Urban Studio was clearly the renovator for the job.
One of the things I appreciate about the contract with Urban Studio is the built-in feature to provide financial value to homeowners for not meeting timelines. It was another reason they were chosen as it was clear that they meant to be on-time with the project – something I understand not too be the case for all contractors/projects.
My experience with Urban Studio was solely through the Executive Project Manager. As stated earlier, I found him to have a great sense of humour and demeanor, but his real value is with his great advice, thoughtfulness and understanding. As I stated, the job was a large job and it won’t surprise you that it wasn’t without challenge. However, every step of the way Joseph was there to explain details, provide advice and also to find ways to stay within the budget wherever appropriate. As is the case when opening walls, unforeseen issues can arise and when they did Joseph found solutions that would ensure the house had sound structure and my wallet was not too badly injured.
From a cost perspective, Urban Studio submitted a quote that was in-line with my expectations. As well, when I shared with friends and family the amount of work that was being performed and the price tag associated with the project, all were surprised at how reasonable the cost was. Of course the price did increase during the project but that should be expected when breaking into walls and finding no insulation, inadequate gas connections, etc. However, as mentioned before, the Executive Project Manager made every effort to stay within budget by making suggestions of where cost could be reduced and where other offsets could be identified.
I would be remiss not too mention all the incredible sub-contractors that Urban Studio brought in for the project. They as well shared Joseph’s traits and were very helpful on a regular basis. During the project they would regularly go the extra mile by helping when deliveries would come to the house etc. They were friendly, professional and very good at their crafts. They worked hard, they worked long and they did an amazing job. Thank you to you all.
Now that I have been able to move-in I can say that I am quite satisfied with the work performed. The quality of the craftsmanship is excellent. Moreover, Urban Studios will be coming back to iron out any issues I locate as I settle in. During these troubling times (this was written during the Covid-19 crisis), Urban Studio is not coming back to complete non-urgent work (i.e. cosmetic) and this is something I truly appreciate as we all know how important distance is at this time of increased awareness of social responsibility.

Hi Adam, thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. Everyone from our team enjoyed working with you. We are happy to hear that you took appreciation to the extra effort we put in, as that is truly what we believe set’s us apart. All of our recommendations come from an honest place, putting ourselves in the homeowners shoes and treat it as our own home and financial investment. Looking forward to seeing you when the time comes to apply the finishing painting touches. Enjoy your new home in Leslieville and everything that neighbourhood has to offer. We wish you a lot of joy and happiness for the years to come in your new home!

chantal_simms
chantal_simms

Entire home renovation

We recently hired Urban Studios to renovate our entire home. So far the customer service from Joseph has been outstanding. He has helped us by creating a vision for the layout of our home that has gone beyond what we imagined. He has been incredibly invested in keeping each step of the process honest and transparent. He has put in a lot of time and effort to make sure we feel comfortable
with the process and to answer any questions. Joseph went above and beyond to help us with extra tasks to help get our house ready for the rennovations and is involved every step of the way. Urban Studios makes the process easy by taking care of the permit process and guiding you through each step in a timely way. We are so excited to see the end result!

Hi Chantal, thank you for taking time out of your day to leave us this amazing review! We're glad to hear that you're happy with the services we have provided so far. We are excited to continue working with you and seeing the project fruition.

Laura G.
Laura G.

EXTENSION AND FULL GUT

This was a major renovation project including a rear extension to our home in Leslieville. We extended our house by 11 feet to the back including the basement. From the start they were very responsive and professional and the only company who took the time to come out and meet with us. Our project manager was Joseph and he was fantastic to deal with. His background in architecture and his expertise in project management was extremely helpful. he immediately dealt with any issues/hiccups during the entire project. Thanks to Urban Studio our home now meets our family needs and we are so happy that we can continue living in the neighbourhood we love. My husband and I highly recommend Joseph and his team to anyone who is considering a major renovation to their home.

Laura your kind words are very much appreciated. We are extremely happy that you guys are satisfied with our service and look forward to hear from you guys with your future backyard project for summer! Thank you again for taking the time to write us this awesome review!

Jacek in Toronto
Jacek in Toronto

Floor addition plus gutting of both the main floor and basement

We are pleased with the work performed by Urban Studio on our property in the Upper Beach area. We have hired Urban Studio to build an addition to our bungalow including gutting of entire house, including the basement.
The project was quite challenging and required well thought approach and lots of imagination in design stage. It was accomplished and we liked the way it was planned.
During our renovation, Joseph – project manager was very helpful and heavily involved in all the major decisions regarding a design of the interior and selection of fixtures. I have to admit that he spent quite a bit of time helping us in that stage and had some great ideas. It was very helpful. He was also willing to pass suppliers discounts and we had visibility of what different vendors charged us for materials supplied or work performed. Of course, during such a major project there were always issues that we have encountered and we worked with Joseph and his staff to find a solution to mitigate them. For example: our scope of project changed and we added some items, like the gutting of basement, waterproofing. In the end, Urban Studio built for us a new house. Due to the fact that scope of worked significantly changed It caused a delay in timing of completion of the project. We thought that some issues could be dealt with a bit faster and better planned, but at the same time, we understand the limitation and challenges of running multiple projects. However, if there was an urgent situation, Joseph was able to send his contractor on the site quickly.
The house that Urban Studio built for us really looks great and we enjoy it and also got very positive feedback from our friends.
Urban Studio has ensured us that the worked performed has a warranty.

Thank you Urban Studio !

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It was an absolute pleasure working with you and your wife on your project. It’s been our goal to differentiate ourselves from our competitors by offering our 5-year warranty program as we stand strong behind our workmanship and quality.

K.Noel
K.Noel

2nd Floor Addition & Main Floor Gut/Renovation

Doing a second story addition has been a dream of mine since I purchased my 1-bedroom bungalow. When I was finally able to take on this enormous task on my own, I stared the hunt or a contractor to support my vision, this proved to be difficult. After an extensive search and 4+ contractors I ended up choosing Urban Studio Inc.
They presented me with a detailed, documented proposal for scope of work, and an option for a milestone payment schedule. This along with their attention to detail and willingness to work with my vision and budget sealed the deal.
Prior to and all the way through the renovation process, Joseph was in constant communication, he sent text messages, pictures, recommendations and overall updates, which made me feel engaged and part of the process. Although things took longer than anticipated, challenge, issue and concerns that arose was dealt with and resolved in a professional manner with quality results.

My thanks and appreciation to the Urban Studio team and to Joseph in particular! I am HAPPY with the quality of work, respectful interaction and the personal attention I felt. I recommend Urban Studio if you are thinking of large renovation.

Thank you Kerry for taking the time to write us a review. It was an absolute pleasure working with you on your project. We hope that you'll enjoy your new home for many years to come.

n.zhian
n.zhian

Rear Addition

Urban studio has renovated several homes in my neighbourhood in the past few years and came highly recommended by our nieghbours. My experience with them couldn’t have been any better. The built process itself was very transparent with no surprises. Joseph was always available to answer all of our questions and would always make himself available to meet with us. From the first meeting we felt we could trust him something that we didnt feel with any other companies as it's very rare in reno industry! Joseph is very knowledgeable and capable, also great at explaining the options and helping us with decision making. The end result is fantastic and that's due to Joseph's attention to details. We love our new house and highly recommend Urban Studio.

baharH
baharH

Flooring repairs following a flood.

I have been burned before by contractors. Shoddy workmanship, disappearing for weeks, watching YouTube videos for hours while supposedly on the job. You name it. But, Joseph and team were an absolute dream! They were super professional, responsive, creative, efficient (very quick!!), willing to work over time and go the extra mile. Joseph treats you like family and is authentic as they come. Truly, truly could not be happier having worked with them. I will definitely be seeking them out again in the future. Cannot recommend Urban Studio Inc. enough.

Thank you Bahar for the great review. Despite the project being smaller than our usual projects, we really enjoyed working with you. We're happy to hear you are pleased with the quality of our work. We look forward to working with you again in the future, all the best!

mcleanlawrence1975
mcleanlawrence1975

Home Addition

We were thinking about the idea of an addition to our Leslieville home for over a year... after a lot of online research we reached out to those companies that had experience dealing with large renovation project.
We then started to meet with them and saw many different proposals, I must say Urban Studio stood out from the very beginning. Their approach was very different than all the others to begin with! Unlike others they were responsive and within the same week we had Joseph visiting our home while waited for several weeks for most of the companies, and some never even bother getting back to us! while few asked between $500 to $1000 for the site visit!

Joseph was amazing, his knowledge and the information he passed on to us on the very first meeting was very helpful and made us feel we can trust his professional opinion about different aspects of our project. He provided us with an estimate which comparing to others the detail that was provided was outstanding! Definitely not the most expensive estimate we received neither the cheapest but their pricing was reasonable and made sense. We also liked that the scope of work was tied to milestone payment plan and that’s why we finally felt comfortable to undertake this massive project!

After waiting 6 months, the permits were released and we started moving out our furnitures to a storage unit, my family and I moved out of our home for a little over 8 months. Within this time Urban Studio built two storey addition at the back of our home and gutted the entire house. Considering our 100+ years old home our project was not an easy task Urban Studio ran into some obstacles, However we always experienced professionalism with Joseph, he rectified any and all hiccups that came up during our renovation. All of his team members were respectful and pleasant to deal with. The quality of their work is indeed above the industry standards and as a result we are now enjoying our new custom kitchen and our master bedroom on the second floor which we never had! Joseph’s design inputs made our project a dream come true. Thank you for making our home look like something out of a magazine! I would not hesitate to recommend Urban Studio to our friends and family.

Hi Lawrence, it was a pleasure working with you and your family! You were very welcoming and accommodating whenever necessary. We're glad to hear that you had a positive experience with our entire crew, and that you're enjoying your new space! You made doing our job that much easier, thank you to you and your family Lawrence! We wish you all the best.

swt33
swt33

Floor and walls renovation

I would like to say Joseph Alavi and his workers were very professional and very good at there job!
Thanks m

Thank you Silroy! Joseph and the team have not stopped talking about how kind and helpful you were throughout the renovation process. Kindness and positivity go a long way, we hope to cross paths with you again!

A. G.
A. G.

Kitchen and bathroom renovation

The project was a complete redo of the kitchen and main bath in my home. Very nice people did the work to a high quality. Input from Joseph with regards to design choices were invaluable to me.

Thank you very much Adam! We appreciate your kind words, and look forward to working with you on your future project!

More about Urban Studio

Urban Studio specializes in large-scale renovations and home addition projects. With a core focus in some of the older neighbourhoods of Toronto such as The Beach, Leslieville, Leaside and surrounding East York neighbourhood, We are a full-service company working with you from conception to completion. Each project is managed by one of our professional project managers who work with each client one-on-one from start to finish to obtain the best results above industry standards.