Boonstra's Heating & Air Conditioning

120 Nebo Road, Unit 2 Hamilton ON L8W 2E4
HomeStars  >  Heating & Air Conditioning in Burlington  >  Boonstra's Heating & Air Conditioning

Reviews for Boonstra's Heating & Air Conditioning

Having noise problem with furnace which was causing difficulty sleeping and frustration Called the service desk and an appointment was made for Adrian technical service representative to come to the house He was a true professional in that he assessed the problem ordered the required parts and was back within three working days and worked diligently to correct the problem I have been a customer of Boonstra for over 25 years and have had an annual service contract for both my furnace and air conditioner and have been impressed by the service replacement parts and service I have received and would highly recommend Boonstra
I believe their excellent service is the result of their professional internal and service personal as well as the quality products

Thank you for this wonderful review! We sincerely appreciate your patronage over the last 25 years. I will pass on your kind words to Adrian. All the best, Craig Goettler, General Manager.

Ray in Toronto

2 days ago, our furnace stopped providing heat. We've had 4 technician calls since then to resolve the problem. While I can't fault the technicians who were prompt (to the house within 2 hours), courteous, and knowledgeable, I feel I was hit unfairly to diagnose and resolve the problem. On the 1st visit, it was determined to be an inducer and dual pressure switch that needing replaced. 3 hours later the furnace no longer provider heat. On the 2nd visit, it was determined to be the dual pressure switches that were replaced the evening prior. They were replaced out a second time (no charge). 3 hours later the furnace failed. On the 3rd visit, the technician pulled out the circuit board to replace with a new one. However the couplings didn't match so put the old circuit board back in place. Lo and behold the furnace maintained heat. On the 4th visit the technician installed a new circuit board on the assumption the old circuit board was at fault but had been working fine for the past 24 hours. So question is was there anything wrong to begin with - or did I just pay $1400 to diagnose something that wasn't there?

Hello Ray, I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with Boonstra. If you would like to discuss this further, I can be reached at 289-684-1839. All the best, Craig Goettler, General Manager.

getmp3s
3 reviews Hamilton, ON

Tech was prompt, problem was fixed fast - but boy was i gouged! Furnace has yellow Boonstra sticker on it signed and dated with warranty until Feb 2018, blower died Dec 2017 so called for warranty service, was told label on furnace was a mistake, no warranty, $2500 after tax parts and labor to change blower. Gets worse, found same part online MSRP $600. Gets worse, took old blower to another hvac guy who changed a blown resister on it for $40 so my old blower could have been fixed on the spot. Gets worse... called Boonstra to discuss my dissatisfaction before leaving this review, explained everything and was told would receive a call back - waited 1 month but nobody called. Can't blame a company for trying to make a buck but if you advertise a no hassle satisfaction grantee and don't even acknowledge my dissatisfaction then you are not sincere in your grantees and should be called out on it.

Jamie in Erin
2 reviews Hamilton, ON

Well first I would like to say that their technicians are super friendly, and very prompt. They present themselves very professionally. That is where it ends. We have been with Boonstra and their maintenance plan for a year and a half now, and will be calling to cancel after several issues with improper diagnoses and suggestions for repairs that are not required. The first was on a brand new AC unit that we were told required an $819 “search and locate” leak issue, and were told would be likely result in an expensive outcome that would lead to possibly needing a new unit. After hiring another company for a second opinion, it turned out to be a blocked drain line, which was promptly repaired and has worked fine ever since.

When the technicians came out to do regular maintenance they were friendly and took the time to explain what they had done, and said all was A-OK. We had one part on the AC unit that required replacement last summer, and had to fight to get them to honour the warranty which they said they would not do, because they were not the ones who installed the unit.

The final straw has been the trouble we had with our furnace this past week and a half. Our furnace began to blow cold air at random times, that continued until we reset the power. Once it was turned back on it worked fine. It happened on 3 occasions until we decided to have a tech come out and determine the issue for a $69.95 fee. The tech eventually told us we should replace the flame sensor which he said he would not be able to access without removing a vent pipe. No tech had previously said that was an issue, and we had on a regular maintenance record that the flame sensor had been cleaned during the previous service. He also recommended we replace the hot surface ignitor. We felt he was guessing at the problem and didn’t actually know what the problem was. This was evident due to the lack of error codes coming from the furnace itself. He asked us if we wanted to go ahead with those repairs, and we decided to defer them until the next scheduled maintenance so we could do some research ourselves.

When the problem occurred again a couple of times yesterday during cold weather we called them again. They told us they would see if the parts were in stock and would call us back. This was around 11am. We waited until about 8pm and continued to reset the furnace about 9 times before we decided to call them again to find out what was happening. At this point we were told they would not be able to fix our problem for up to possibly a week because the part had to be ordered and highlighted the fact that we “declined” the recommended repairs when the last tech came out. We are not even entirely sure what part was ordered, and felt like we were being brushed off.

We then called another emergency service and paid over 100 dollars to have them come out to help us because we were afraid we were going to be without heat during an overnight low of -30. That tech did pull out the flame sensor and clean it while stating it was in good condition, and checked a few other things, before determining that the issue was not with the furnace, but actually with the gas pressure, which would not allow the furnace to provide a strong enough flame to give the necessary heat. This is why it would blow cool air while the temp dropped in the house. It turned out to be the regulator being frozen on the gas meter and required the gas company to come out and replace at no cost to us. This being the second time we had to consult a different company to properly diagnose the actual issue, I have come to the conclusion that we have either been duped by Boonstra into paying for unnecessary repairs, or their technicians do not have the skills required to properly diagnose and repair our furnace and AC unit.

I wonder if our experience with Boonstra would be different if they had installed our equipment. They present themselves well, but friendly and professional doesn’t amount to a whole lot if it just leads to unnecessary costs and repairs. The focus just seems to be on sales, not service.

Hello Jamie, I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with Boonstra. If you would like to discuss this further, I can be reached at 289-684-1839. All the best, Craig Goettler, General Manager.

1 review Hamilton, ON

I called them for a furnace inspection. I knew beforehand that My condensation pump and humidifier weren’t working. They wanted more than $400 for the pump. I then showed the technician that I could get a pump from Amazon for $60. They wanted $230 for a controller for the humidifier. I again showed the technician that I could order one on-line from the manufacturer for $57 ( taxes and shipping included). No problem with the technician but they are grossly overcharging on some items. I ended up ordering and installing the pump and controller myself. I’m not handy and it took me less than 15 minutes. They then tried to sell me a service plan. I wasn’t biting. When I challenged the technician on their pricing he seemed embarrassed by it. He should be.

Hello, I am sorry to hear about your experience. Please feel free to call me at 289-684-1839 to discuss this further and come to a suitable resolution. All the best, Craig Goettler, General Manager.

Margo Shuttleworth in Burlington
11 reviews Burlington, ON

I looked around for a furnace maitenance company and settle on Boonstra (originally saw the trucks....) Bennett was my technician and he dida wonderful job of giving a my furnace a check up and cleaning up the fireplace. I ended up signing up for the yearly maintenance plan, partially because I was so impressed and also knew I needed the A/C done in the spring. Knowledgeable about what he was doing, I was really happy with Bennett and Boonstra overall.

Hi Margo, thanks for taking the time to write this great review! All the best, Craig Goettler, General Manager.

Colin Teague in San Francisco
1 review Burlington, ON

Had a morning service for duct cleaning performed by two wonderful service professionals, Chris and Luke. Both gentlemen were very friendly and personable. They performed a very thorough job taking the time to explain each step along the way....and they love dogs. I highly recommend Boonstra for any and all heating and air conditioning work. Thanks again Chris and Luke. You guys were great. Cheers. Colin

Hi Colin, thanks for taking the time to write this great review! I'll pass on your compliments to Chris and Luke. All the best, Craig Goettler, General Manager.

1 review Burlington, ON

Our Boonstra crew (Chris & Luke) phoned to give us advance notice and arrived on time. They thoroughly explained all of the steps in the process and then proceed with the set-up and the cleaning. They were done and cleaned up in about three hours. Chris and Luke were very personable and seemed quite dedicated to doing an outstanding job. Their work was excellent. They thank us for choosing Boonstra and were on their way to the next job. Dealing with them was a pleasure.

Hello and thanks for taking the time to write this great review! I'll pass on your compliments to Chris and Luke. All the best, Craig Goettler, General Manager.

Paul Shupe in Burlington
1 review Burlington, ON

Chris and Luke provided a clean and professional service. Highly recommend these guys for residential duct cleaning. Remember to ask for these guys when you book your duct cleaning service.

Sincerely,
Paul & Kyla Shupe
Burlington, Ontario

Paul & Kyla, thanks for the great review! I'll pass on your kind words to the guys. All the best, Craig Goettler, General Manager

Craig in Calgary
2 reviews Smithville, ON

We had recently moved into our house and have been finding limited air flow in some rooms. Our oldest son also has allergies and someone suggested we have our ducts cleaned. I called Boonstra's in Hamilton and I am glad we did; from start to finish they were amazingly professional. The young lady on the phone explained in detail exactly what they would do and worked with me to schedule. the Kennan and Matt called to ensure I was still ok the day of the visit and when they arrived they were very respectful of my house wearing booty's and laying carpets. Kennan explained the procedure in detail and because i was working from home that day he also considered the noise letting me know when i would get loud before it did to ensure i could make adjustments. when they finished and showed me what was in my ducts i was blown away. there was drywall dust and particles from the original build as well as fine particulate beyond my imagination. Since the visit I've noticed a difference in my son's allergies as well as the air flow.

We are surprised each time by what we find in the ducts! Glad we could help get things cleaned up for your new home. All the best, Craig Goettler, General Manager

More about Boonstra's Heating & Air Conditioning

Boonstra Heating and Air Conditioning started in 1961 as a one-man operation out of the basement of Clarence Boonstra’s home on Algonquin Street. Shortly there after Clarence purchased the current location across the road. From its meager yet ambitious beginnings, the company has become one of the largest heating and air conditioning contractors in southern Ontario.
To provide customers with efficient service, the name Boonstra’s Heating and Air Conditioning is represented by a whole fleet of certified & trained customer service representatives, service technicians and installation technicians. We have had the privilege of having many repeat customers over the years like Donald Wall – “This is the third new furnace we’ve had installed in each of our homes. You do very good work and service – all very nice people we’ve met. Thanks”
We dedicate ourselves to exceeding our customer’s expectations in providing the highest standard of satisfaction. We believe in partnership with customers and employees which are built on our values and beliefs. We enjoy stability and growth by achieving excellence through our skilled, professional people. We secure our reputation as the best in the industry through our commitment to the customer. We are the local company to serve you!