Mac Fab Fabrics

Fabric Shops
600 Queen Street West Toronto ON M6J 1E3
HomeStars  >  Fabric Shops in Toronto  >  Mac Fab Fabrics

Reviews for Mac Fab Fabrics

Poor service, failure to provide refund

On June 1, I ordered drapery fabric, drapery rods (which MacFAB agreed to cut to a custom size), and fling rods from MacFAB. The young woman who took the order seemed very helpful and assured me that the fabric and rods 'usually' came 'within a week.' I paid, in full, on my credit card. When, 2 weeks later, I had not heard from the company, I called and was told that they had a wrong number and so had not been able to reach me and that the fabric was unavailable. The last four digits of the telephone number the seemingly helpful young woman had written down bore no relation to the phone number I had given her. I told her that, because her error contributed to the delay that meant 2 more weeks without curtains on my bedroom windows (which face a public park) I was 'ticked off' at the delay; she did not apologize but offered the excuse that she 'did her best.'
At this point the store owner said he could get a comparable fabric which was marginally cheaper; I ordered it and he processed a credit card refund for the difference in price. (He also explained to me that he was looking forward to the point 4 years down the road when he would retire--not a way to make a customer feel her business is valued!).
A week later the drapery rods arrived, the day before the installer was to arrive at my home. When I went to pick them up, I discovered they had not been cut. They promised to have them cut by 4:00 p.m. When I called at 4:00 they were not ready. When I asked when they would be ready, the owner got very angry and refused to answer; when I asked again when they would be ready, he told me I 'was not a nice person.' I hung up on him. 30 minutes later he called back, calmer, to say they were ready.
When I went back a second time to pick them up, the clerk with whom I spoke (a very pleasant and efficient woman) realized the fling rods were not with them. In fact they had not been ordered. She ordered them and they arrived two days later (June 23) when the fabric that had been my second choice also arrived. The fling rods were the wrong length and she told me that the length I had ordered was 'no longer available.' I asked for a refund ($80 + HST) on the rods and was told that she could not process a credit card refund because the owner would not give the clerks the necessary code for the credit card company to do so; I should come back the following morning when the owner would be there. I came back the following morning, he was not there, and I was told again that nothing could be done (the young woman apologized this time).
On June 26 I called and managed to speak with the owner. He told me the fling rods were now in. I asked if they were the length I had ordered, in consultation with his clerk, and he said they were not. I then asked once again that a refund be posted to my credit card. He told me once again that I 'was not a nice person,' that I should contact MacFAB's accounting office for a refund which would be issued as a cheque, and that 'I could wait like everyone else' for the cheque to be issued. I e-mailed the company at the address on the invoice that same day (June 26) explaining the situation and asking for the refund. Two months later, I have not received an acknowledgement or a refund.

Vanessa in Toronto
Vanessa in Toronto

Rude behaviour

I have purchased supplies at the Queen st. E store many times in the past. I am currently on the Parent Council for 2 local schools in Riverdale and Leslieville. I solicited for a donation to help one of the schools raise some funds. Once I was directed to the in-store mngr, I was informed it was very annoying and irritating that schools solicit 'literally every week'. This community supports this store, I was even purchasing some supplies while present in the store. I feel that there are many polite alternatives this mngr could have used to explain that she is unable to support our school at this time. A simple but polite, 'not now' would have sufficed. Schools reps understand that not all companies are able to donate. From now on I'm going to go to EuroFab, they donated over $400 worth of fabric and services to our event.

Chris from Toronto
Chris from Toronto

custom settee upholstery

I love this store! The selection and quality of fabrics is outstanding. Store owner Patrick suggested a Belgian mohair fabirc for my two antique settees. His recommendation turned ordinary looking settees into unique pieces that look outstanding and thrive on the everyday use they receive (mohair has a beautiful nap that subtly gets even more interesting overtime).

Jasmine from Toronto
Jasmine from Toronto
10 reviews Old Toronto, ON

Drapery

Sister store to macFab Home nearby -this store is wonderful for interior and upholstery fabrics. A little pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for (gorgeous silk, leather and suede; options that are stain protected, UV protected, etc.). The selection is great and the staff a really helpful and no-pressure. You can even rent out "books" of samples to see how fabrics would work in your space.

Paige Ring in Toronto
Paige Ring in Toronto
6 reviews TORONTO, ON

Drapery

Purchased drapes for a small window in a living room. Quality is top notch and they are ready made which means you can walk out and hang up right away (no waiting for sewing!). Prices are a little more than box retail locations but the quality and service is worth the extra money. If you bring in your upholstery and paint chips the staff will help you find something that works with your interior.

sarah press in Toronto
sarah press in Toronto

Custom Drapery

Love Mac Fab! There is so much selection in this store you could easily spend a day admiring the fabrics- silks, wools, cottons, linens. All fabric is high quality and lots of stuff you won't find elsewhere. They let you borrow swatches to take home and offer great advice. I used their custom drapery service, which was comparably priced to other places, but was happy to receive great service and a really professional job delivered on time as promised. Check this store out (now in Leslieville) for fabrics, notions and custom design work.

Clamo in East york
Clamo in East york

Swatches for wall designs

I threw down 100 happily on swatches for a art project I created for my bedroom wall. Specializing in some of the most interesting and difficult find designed fabrics that usually can only be found online. I love macfab. I wish they were still down in at Bathurst and Queen... :(