RENOCanada-No Longer In Business

4133 Dundas Street W Toronto ON M8X 1X2
HomeStars  >  Bathroom Renovation in Etobicoke  >  RENOCanada-No Longer In Business

Reviews for RENOCanada-No Longer In Business

BLS in Oakville
BLS in Oakville
4 reviews OAKVILLE, ON

Bathroom Renovation

We hired this company to renovate our master bathroom. It was a nightmare. The cupboards were installed incorrectly and damaged. The tiles were installed incorrectly as were the mirrors. The walls had to be drywalled 3 times because of the errors and shawdy workmanship. The shower leaked so that our family room ceiling had to be repaired. The floor tile grout is cracked and crumbling. The project manager was useless and the president of the company is rude and arrogant. After many calls and emails and 3 years our bathroom was NEVER completed but they have all of our money. The president told us they were going bankrupt (2009) and could not complete it. Do NOT do business with this incompetent and dishonorable company.

carley Anderson in Scarborough
carley Anderson in Scarborough
1 review Scarborough, ON

Bathroom Renovation

I was referred to Sam at Reno Canada and I am glad he was the company I picked. I bough my first apartment and knew it needed some work. Sam made it easy to select from his selection of packages but there were things I wanted changed. He actually took me around to pick the finishes I liked better, literally taking me to places to see what I liked best. Within a week, my bathroom was done. It was and still is perfect. I am now looking to sell, get a bigger place to accommodate my new boyfriend. I know that this bathroom is the best selling feature of the place. I would definitely hire Sam Beninato and Reno Canada again!

Business transaction

sam beninato did work for me through his company renowow. i have nothing bad to say about him or his company and wish him good luck in the future business.

John in Brampton
John in Brampton

Bathroom renovation

The Reno Canada location in Brampton is run by a bunch of ***holes. The owner is completely unprofessional. They talk a good game when they want your business but what transpires when they actually get the job is something completely different. The quality of work is nowhere near the level for the money they charge and if I didn't complain and stay on top of them while the work was being done the end product whould have been alot worse than it turned out. Stay away.

Anita G. in Toronto
Anita G. in Toronto

Laundry, Entry,Powder Room Reno

The installation of the tile floor by RenoCanada was unacceptable to us as was the response to problems and warranty issues.
They installed tiles from two different dye-lots. Ceramic tiles were spaced unevenly (grout lines varied from 3mm to 9mm) and individual tiles were laid so they are not level with eachother. The grey grout has a white patchy discolouration. We paid in full after they promised that they would make sure that problems were rectified. We wish we had not. Subsequently, Mr. Sam [last name removed-- Ed], the owner, stated that we would have to share the cost of replacing the floor.
We have phoned several times for repairs on a leaky faucet, a closet door falling off its bracket and malfunctioning thermostat, with no reply. We have emailed Mr [last name removed--Ed]and replied that they did not have our phone number. We emailed him back with the number - still no phone call or email to set a time to repair. After almost 3 months of requests for a contact, we gave up and have had to make the repairs ourselves at significant cost.

L. Toronto
L. Toronto
3 reviews Etobicoke, ON

Bathroom Renovation

We hired this contractor for a complete bathroom renovation. I would say the project management could use some tweaking since it took much longer than I anticipated but overall I liked the design and I liked the end product. 6 months following completion, I noticed what I thought was leakage, the company came to investigate within 2 days to discover it was not a leak but the ceiling shifting due the weight of our new products - I really appreciated the quick response.

Helen at Ave/Lawrence
Helen at Ave/Lawrence

Bathroom renovation

Hired this company 3 years ago after 3 estimates. Very friendly service PRIOR to contracting them. Had to have them redo the tiles as they were so sloppy, and they started a fire in our house by accident. The shower has not worked since the installation. Have had them back 3 times to no avail...there is a 5 year guarantee on the work (part of why I contracted them), but they are not very responsive to complaints (like...the shower does not turn on). Am now having the shower redone by another plumber. VERY DISAPPOINTED in the quality of work and follow up after the initial great impression.

Sandra in Riverdale
Sandra in Riverdale

Bathroom Renovation

Bathroom renovated by RenoCanada, December, 2008: What happens when you cross good intentions with an inability to plan, organize or communicate? A whole lot of rework:

· Heating vent had to be moved twice before it reached its target.
· Vanity mirror was the wrong size and too short for the space. It looked ridiculous, and had to go. The new mirror was much better, but the clips that held it on the wall looked like they were coming off. It turned out the wall was curved.
· All the walls were curved.
· I picked out the sink and vanity cabinet when I was in the showroom. The cabinet they had in the showroom was hacked away to accommodate the sink as the two pieces were not originally made to go together. It was as if a ten year old had done the work. Peter, who was the person managing the project, assured me that cabinet was done in a hurry for the showroom and my cabinet would be done properly. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I opened the door of my new cabinet after it was installed to find the inside was hacked away just like the one in the showroom. That it very likely was the one from the showroom.
· The disfigured vanity cabinet was also the wrong height. It went back to wherever it came from. Probably the showroom.
· The shower curtain rod was of a style that was too big for the small bathroom, and hung interestingly over the toilet. It had to go.
· Unlike the walls, the window sill was perfectly level. I checked. However unlike the walls, the sill should have been on a slight angle so that the water could drain off (as the window sits above the tub and participates in the daily shower). Peter admitted that was a mistake. He seemed proud of his admission, but didn’t offer up anything in the way of compensation or recommendation, or even an apology. Not even an apologetic glint in the eyes. I weighed in my mind the inevitable daily sponging down of the sill against the onerous task of getting RenoCanada to redo it correctly. It stayed.
· The guys showed up whenever they felt like it. Or followed some secret schedule. I couldn’t tell. The elusive Peter who was supposedly managing the project even scheduled them for December 24, without telling me (when they promised to finish the work before Christmas they weren’t kidding).
· As requested, I clearly marked off the locations for the light switch, towel rack, electrical outlet and toilet paper holder. In keeping with RenoCanada’s Russian roulette approach to design, all markings were ignored. The location of the electrical outlet was at least in the ballpark. It stayed. The others elicited more feedback from the acting project manager which as it turned out was me.
· On the first try, the light switch was installed on the wall behind the door so that you would have to enter the room and grope behind the door to turn on the light. On the second attempt it was installed in the vicinity of the spot I marked off. Close enough.
· The towel rack was too long for the space it was meant to occupy. It had to go. I suggested they move it to the opposite wall and marked off the spot, and it landed, thankfully, somewhere near the markings
· The medicine cabinet was never ordered. According to Peter I never ordered it. We negotiated it into the contract early on and revised the price over the telephone but he didn’t remember. In any case it never made it in the contract and my bad for not noticing. I reordered the medicine cabinet at an additional cost of around $400 and followed up every spoken communication after that with an email. Lesson learned.
· The old severely warped bathroom door had to be reversed so that it opened on the opposite side. The person doing the work spent a long time sanding down the door and frame to make them fit nicely. I tried explaining that the door was going to be replaced, and that it was good enough the way it was, to no avail. He did not speak a word of English. So I gave up and left him diligently sanding away. I honestly couldn’t tell the difference when he was done.
· None of the guys who did the actual work could speak English. All communication was supposed to be done through Peter who was only around when it was time to collect a cheque. He did not have a cell phone.
· The front door was repeatedly left open. This was in December. Heating costs aside, anyone could have walked in. I did. I wandered about downstairs loudly for several minutes while the guys worked upstairs, and no one ran down. Not really their fault. The door is old and tends to swing open if not properly shut. Once the guys finally understood, with the help of my frantic gesturing, the door was never left open again (I spied).
· The tub hot water pressure was half of that of the cold water pressure. The RenoCanada team was unable to fix it. But I am impressed that they showed up and tried (as this was after I had paid in full for the work). Peter said he would investigate with the manufacturer and call me back. He never did. I had my plumber fix it. It was a minor problem that took less than an hour and cost $157 to fix. He also redid the seal around the bathtub tap while he was there.
· Painting was supposed to be done behind the sink and toilet. It wasn’t.
· There was some minor collateral damage to the walls (requiring about $50 to fix). RenoCanada refused to cover the cost. Instead they said they would give me a “gift” as compensation. It consisted of some cleaning detergents, two small candles, and two face cloths with the company name in very large print which delegated them immediately to dust rag status.
· The bathroom vent for the fan was not installed. I was told that they couldn’t get a roofer in the winter. Apparently they couldn’t get one in the summer either as I had to hire another company to do the work at the end of August at a cost of $450. To be fair one guy did show up in the spring. He stared up at the roof and complained he wasn’t being paid enough, then realizing there was no laneway access (it is a row house) lost enthusiasm. I never heard from him, or from RenoCanada, again.

I should point out that while the last four items were not completed by RenoCanada, all other items on the list were.

I received a demand for payment shortly after completion of all but the four items. I informed Sam (the owner) that I was going to hold back $1000 until everything in the contract was done. His response was vitriolic. After some angry sputtering and vague threats, he said he would take care of the outstanding items as part of their warranty. So I agreed to pay the entire amount. I was curious to see if he would keep his word.

He didn’t. I sent an email last month requesting reimbursement for the cost of completing the remaining work (about $957). Sam responded with an offer to send a cheque for $300 in the spirit of reaching an amicable resolution. I accepted his offer, in the same spirit. I was curious to see if he would keep his word and send the cheque.

Nope. Issues aside, it has turned out to be a very cute bathroom. The tiles on the walls around the tub and on the floor were beautifully done. Friends and neighbours were duly impressed. Credit all goes to the guys who did the work under difficult circumstances and to me who designed the bathroom and managed the entire project. We get a 10. RenoCanada gets a 1.

I wish I could flush the experience away.

***UPDATE***
The $300 cheque arrived the day after this review was approved.

Marc in Mississauga
Marc in Mississauga

Bathroom cabinets

I ordered new cabinets for the master bath and they were promised in 6 weeks. It took more than 4 months for the cabinets to be delivered. I called Reno Canada many times to find out when the cabinets would be delivered and most of the time my calls were not returned. When I did talk with the salesperson I was promised new delivery dates that were not met. Extremely poor customer service. The only good thing I can say about Reno Canada is that the cabinets were very nice when they were finally delivered.

Melissa in Scarborough
Melissa in Scarborough
1 review Scarborough, ON

Bathroom Renovation

From the first contact we made with Reno Canada we encountered nothing but professionalism, honesty and hard work....a rarity in this day and age.
Anthony and all the staff at Reno turned my dull boring bathroom into a Spa like experience for me.....how can I ever thank you!! Now when I am at work, I crave coming home to have my "Spa Shower Experience".....priceless!
With everything being done through Reno Canada I never had to worry who was coming in or out of my home, if the product would be available, when the contractors would work...it was simple. They were here when they said they would be, the finished one day later than anticipated (through no fault of their own), they were respectful of my home and most importantly they left me with a new, sparkling clean amazing bathroom...all within my budget!
What more could you ask for?